Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Post-match Thread

Comments

• Options
    My point is, if the Barnsley forward stood a few more yards away, he wouldn't have been able to do it. It is the same as lunging in when you are chasing. You have to play the game differently as opponents will waste time at every opportunity. I'm sure Barnsley waste time too!
  • Options
    Barnsley forward was perfectly entitled to stand where he did. Again, up to ref to not allow Phillips to take too much time. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Of course he was but it wasn't sensible play. Phillips was delighted he stood there I imagine, especially as the ref allowed him to delay.
  • Options
    alicwkd said:
    I'm glad we did it as it's unfortunately part of the game now. However putting aside Charlton bias for a minute, I thought it was absolutely criminal what we were allowed to get away with. At times Phillips was holding onto the ball for 20 seconds at a time. 
    Remember ..... the ball is still in play.

Even if a referee decides to take action and caution the player, he then has to stop the game - which wastes an even longer period of time.

I would think that most refs have their tolerance levels; probably calling out to the keeper, "Come on, keep the ball moving" - and providing the keeper does so when asked, don't see the need to take punitive action?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    alicwkd said:
    I'm glad we did it as it's unfortunately part of the game now. However putting aside Charlton bias for a minute, I thought it was absolutely criminal what we were allowed to get away with. At times Phillips was holding onto the ball for 20 seconds at a time. 
    Remember ..... the ball is still in play.

Even if a referee decides to take action and caution the player, he then has to stop the game - which wastes an even longer period of time.

I would think that most refs have their tolerance levels; probably calling out to the keeper, "Come on, keep the ball moving" - and providing the keeper does so when asked, don't see the need to take punitive action?

Agreed. But I didn't even see the ref acknowledge it in any way? however I may well have simply missed it happen. A simple 'get a move on please' or a blast of the whistle and a hand gesture would suffice. If it happens again then an indirect free kick to the opposing team. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020

golf addict said:
    Result all important , the performance scares me .
    Taylor the perfect wind up .
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 
    Wigan result heart breaker but proves these teams won’t lay down and die .

80%  13th-21st ..........................20%  Relegation 

Have a look at the video posted yesterday, done by Barnsley themselves. Phillips antics towards the end were cringeworthy. Feel to the floor in stages & incensed one of their players so much that he got booked. Great you may say that Phillips got one of their players booked but imo he crossed the line between "taking time out" and "play acting". 
    I 100% agree.  Brilliant to see isn’t it.  Well done Dills.  
  • Options

golf addict said:
    Result all important , the performance scares me .
    Taylor the perfect wind up .
    How we ever can moan about other teams time wasting I’ll never know , we are just blatant nothing more so than the standard catch standing up by Phillips always followed by the dive to the floor, genuinely pathetic but I love it !! 
    Liked the Tequila attempt , maybe one day we’ll sing it as good as Tranmere but we’ll have to wake up half our support ! 
    Wigan result heart breaker but proves these teams won’t lay down and die .

80%  13th-21st ..........................20%  Relegation 

Have a look at the video posted yesterday, done by Barnsley themselves. Phillips antics towards the end were cringeworthy. Feel to the floor in stages & incensed one of their players so much that he got booked. Great you may say that Phillips got one of their players booked but imo he crossed the line between "taking time out" and "play acting". 
    I 100% agree.  Brilliant to see isn’t it.  Well done Dills.  
    Yep, I agree. Absolutely fine when Charlton time waste, but not when the opposition do it to us  :)
  • Options
    If they really wanted to stop it they could make it a free kick to the opposition, but personally I think they just need to use the current laws a bit quicker.

I am a bit surprised that this is such a big issue after this game.

Burnley were doing their very best to get Lockyer sent off. Their striker was reaching back and around Lockyer and then throwing himself to the ground and moaning to the ref.

In fact they moaned to the ref consistently throughout the game. Shitty little tactics throughout. Fortunately the ref was strong enough to ignore.

No doubt there will be many on here that will say that is part of the game nowadays. So is time wasting.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    If they really wanted to stop it they could make it a free kick to the opposition, but personally I think they just need to use the current laws a bit quicker.

I am a bit surprised that this is such a big issue after this game.

Burnley were doing their very best to get Lockyer sent off. Their striker was reaching back and around Lockyer and then throwing himself to the ground and moaning to the ref.

In fact they moaned to the ref consistently throughout the game. Shitty little tactics throughout. Fortunately the ref was strong enough to ignore.

No doubt there will be many on here that will say that is part of the game nowadays. So is time wasting.
    Typical Burnley!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A far bigger issue in reality was how their centre half didn't get sent off. 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    Quite simple really. A professional man (referee), who has adjudged such decisions over many years, at differing levels, determined there was no case for a sending off. This against a man sitting in the stands, with no refereeing experience, and (naturally) with bias towards his team. As I say, simple really.

Agreed, I thought the same when Josip Simunic got his third yellow. Don't know why all these inexperienced fans dared to question it!
    It is not a question of fans daring to question, particularly as some decisions are a matter of opinion rather than being absolute. To me it is about the "weighting" of opinions: experience against less or no experience. 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:
    Quite simple really. A professional man (referee), who has adjudged such decisions over many years, at differing levels, determined there was no case for a sending off. This against a man sitting in the stands, with no refereeing experience, and (naturally) with bias towards his team. As I say, simple really.

Agreed, I thought the same when Josip Simunic got his third yellow. Don't know why all these inexperienced fans dared to question it!
    It is not a question of fans daring to question, particularly as some decisions are a matter of opinion rather than being absolute. To me it is about the "weighting" of opinions: experience against less or no experience. 
    Refs have a tough job, no doubt about that. I also agree about the weighting, although I'm with Muttley on this one. I thought it was a terrible decision not to send off their player at the weekend. He could have even followed Simunic and got 3 yellows, that's how obvious I thought the red was. 
  • Options
    It would be a booking before a sending off and Phillips didn't get booked. I think taking too long to take a goal kick is a booking, but being injured or falling when you catch the ball clearly isn't.

I have to be honest and say that I encouraged time wasting as a manager last season. I think it is down to the ref to stop it. Not something professionals can do, but I did always point out very thick bushes and suggested if we were leading with not much time to go to find them with clearances. Even though teams have spare balls, the first instinct is always to retrieve the current ball. 

In one game, the ball trickled out of play and one of our midfielders booted the stationary ball into a thick bush with sharp thorns. It wasn't quite what I meant and it all kicked off after that, with our opponents wanting to fight us in the car park.  
    That should have been two bookings. One for leaving the field of play without permission, the other for kicking the all away. 
  • Options
    I think their forward was standing by Dillon so Dillon couldn’t roll the ball out and use more time before he kicked it up field. His error was standing so close that Dillon could use even more time by not kicking it at all. 
  • Options
    PeterGage said:
    PeterGage said:

Refs have a tough job, no doubt about that. I also agree about the weighting, although I'm with Muttley on this one. I thought it was a terrible decision not to send off their player at the weekend. He could have even followed Simunic and got 3 yellows, that's how obvious I thought the red was. 
    Fine @cafcfan1990, the game is about opinions. Muttley ask a question "How wasn't .... and I replied. No issues with me.

Enjoy your day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:
    With all due respect, the fact that he has all that experience over many years etc doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. I think their number 18 was playing a dangerous game, and might have picked up a second yellow from a different ref, or even the same ref on a different day. It's all about opinions though.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    PeterGage said:
    With all due respect, the fact that he has all that experience over many years etc doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. I think their number 18 was playing a dangerous game, and might have picked up a second yellow from a different ref, or even the same ref on a different day. It's all about opinions though.
    How dare you believe refs are capable of mistakes.
  • Options
    A bit (very) late to this one.

JFC coming in for a lot of criticism on here but for me it wasn't his performance that was the issue. It was that he came on for Williams who was linking our midfield and attack, and running at their defence. A midfield 3 of Cullen, Pratley and JFC didnt work. They all like to play from deep and have runners infront of them. I wondered if the plan was to bring McGeady on later in the game depending on how many minutes he could play. It was far too early (58mins) to have the midfield so deep. The result was that we had no outlet and simply invited them on to us. Later in the game Pratley went further forward (whether he took it on himself or was told to) but this meant we lost his strengths and the game largely passed him by.

I still think JFC has plenty to add but it should be as one of the 2 deeper lying midfielders. 

• Options

JFC coming in for a lot of criticism on here but for me it wasn't his performance that was the issue. It was that he came on for Williams who was linking our midfield and attack, and running at their defence. A midfield 3 of Cullen, Pratley and JFC didnt work. They all like to play from deep and have runners infront of them. I wondered if the plan was to bring McGeady on later in the game depending on how many minutes he could play. It was far too early (58mins) to have the midfield so deep. The result was that we had no outlet and simply invited them on to us. Later in the game Pratley went further forward (whether he took it on himself or was told to) but this meant we lost his strengths and the game largely passed him by.

I still think JFC has plenty to add but it should be as one of the 2 deeper lying midfielders. 

I'd like to see JFC at wing-back again, he was amazing at Craven Cottage
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    PeterGage said:
    "The referee is capable of mistakes"

I don't think that chant will catch on
  • Options

I'd like to see JFC at wing-back again, he was amazing at Craven Cottage
    Amazing is stretching it a bit imo but he did well. Thing is if we play wing backs Doughty is almost a certainty on the left side so don't see JFC there again unless injuries. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    PeterGage said:
    "The referee is capable of mistakes"

I don't think that chant will catch on

"the referees a wan.. a human being capable of mistakes!"
  • Options
    "It's always nice to score goals. It's my job." And it's as simple as that for
    https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/5e39a1fb226d4/taylor-its-always-nice-to-score-goals-its-my-job… #cafc

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Preston did when they came down to the Valley, and it's a big part of picking up points in this day and age, and one of the reasons we are going to stay up.  We need to indulge in the dark arts, and I think Bowyer has instilled it in the team for the better.  Of course, I think everyone would like to see a better level of fair play in football across the board, but as long as it exists, whether it be West Brom fans refusing to give the ball back, players diving and time wasting, then we have to indulge in it as well unfortunately.  
    I agree, but I hate the hypocrisy of fans who support our players when they do this, but then scream blue murder at the opposition players for doing the same thing
    I know.  I just accept it.  It's frustrating at the time, but that is why I like seeing us do it as well.