Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - Different Class

Comments

• Options
    Genuinely missed him getting booked today - what did he do?
    Ran off with the ball for about ten seconds after Luton had been awarded a free-kick. Goaded their keeper into trying to grab it off him. Went down dramatically. Hilarious and obvious yellow card, ref handled it well
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Ran off with the ball for about ten seconds after Luton had been awarded a free-kick. Goaded their keeper into trying to grab it off him. Went down dramatically. Hilarious and obvious yellow card, ref handled it well
    Fair enough. Still, there’s a lot less of it and I’m okay with it when it’s efforts to wind up the opposition. There’s definitely a lot less of the dissent towards refs than when he first arrived and racked up 5 bookings on double quick time. 
  • Options
    Not sure why ESI can't make a concerted attempt to sign him on a juicy contract before the end of the season. Southall talked about a few marquee players and Taylor surely has to be one of them.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Taylor was running towards where the free kick had been given. I know you can get booked for kicking the ball away after a free kick being given, Luton did this a number of times yesterday without getting a booking.
  • Options
    As well as his clear MOTM performance, I gotta say I really enjoyed him as captain as well winding the opposition up and leading by example. If there was any way to keep him next year, I think that role would really suit him
    Captain or wind-up merchant?
  • Options
    Going to cost us an absolute fortune to replace him this summer
    You mean we will try to do so with a premier league loan 
  • Options
    I think the only way you’ll tempt him to stay is by offering him a longer contract in comparison to others
  • Options
    Not sure why ESI can't make a concerted attempt to sign him on a juicy contract before the end of the season. Southall talked about a few marquee players and Taylor surely has to be one of them.
    How do we know they aren’t?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He ran with the ball to where the free kick was given. It’s not like picked up the ball and ran forest gump style, down the tunnel, out of the stadium towards the station. Never a booking
  • Options
    How do we know they aren’t?
    I didn't say they aren't. I said what they need to do. If they are doing that great. 
  • Options
    Offer him anything he wants. Massive for us over the next two/three years. 
  • Options
    No player at the club would be put out if Taylor was offered a massive incentive to stay,they all know what he brings to the team.Ambition is the key,staying up is our first priority,then during the summer getting a squad together to mount a challenge.Dont depend on loan players,do the business early(as per Chris Powell).We do need a dominant centre back as a matter of urgency.
    I personally feel Lyle is very happy at Charlton,handled correctly this could be a golden era for the club.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    It is economics - to keep Taylor we need to offer him what others will offer him. That is why no other player can complain. I think it will be a sign of intent if we keep him, and he should be made Captain for next season if that is the case. 
  • Options
    This is the only story that counts for Cafc.

Lyle stays for the next 3 years and Charlton ride the waves and gain momentum or he leaves and we struggle to stay afloat.
  • Options
    If he stays, we will be playoff contenders next season... cant blame him if he leaves for a pay day and premiership football though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He ran with the ball to where the free kick was given. It’s not like picked up the ball and ran forest gump style, down the tunnel, out of the stadium towards the station. Never a booking
    only because he knows how shit South Eastern are. He would have been waiting there an hour.
  • Options
    I would also consider his long term future beyond football, so if you offered him say a 3 year contract with perhaps the possibility of a year’s extension if both are mutually agreeable, add in in the third /  fourth year he can do his coaching badges and be considered for say the youngsters strikers coach and then the possibilities of the first team striker coach. Bowyers says Bonne is a project therefore get Lyle to assist in this as well. The nans
  • Options
    If being honest, watching Charlton without Lyle is going to be incredibly boring.
  • Options
    It is economics - to keep Taylor we need to offer him what others will offer him. That is why no other player can complain. I think it will be a sign of intent if we keep him, and he should be made Captain for next season if that is the case. 
    Yeah it is economics. 

To keep Taylor will probably cost about 4 million pounds, more than he is on now. 

To keep Taylor we will need to be serious about play offs next season.  If the 3 players with "an option" sign the extra year we still need in the region of 10-12 more players for next season.  They are going to cost more in wages, signing on fees and probably transfer fees than the players we got last summer.

To satisfy both Taylor's ambition AND bank balance we would have to give it a real go next season which goes against what Mr Southall has said.  It might happen but I would be pleasantly surprised if it did. 
  • Options
    Well no, I think we need to offer him more than what others can offer him at this point. I think Lyle wants to challenge himself at the highest level, so if let's say Norwich offered him £20,000 and we offered the same I think he'd still go there because they're more likely to go up and he would be playing with better players. We will need to offer him a boatload of money and convince him that come 1st July we're going to invest massively into the team. His contract expires on 30th June so he'll have to take that on faith rather than evidence and I wouldn't blame him for deciding not to bother if a more convincing offer is on the table
  • Options
    Unless he goes across the border he can't speak to anyone til June. So, I'd start looking at bringing in players early as possible and making a statement of intent
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Leuth said:
    There is no need for any opposition player to pick up the ball once a fee kick has been given. If a player does then they are justifiably in line for a booking imo. Taylor knew what he was doing & didn't seem too fussed that he was booked. I would have booked the gk too for grabbing hold of Taylor but refs are loathe to do this as they are then leaving themselves with a problem down the line if they want to book them for time wasting. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Unless he goes across the border he can't speak to anyone til June. So, I'd start looking at bringing in players early as possible and making a statement of intent
    Well, more like they 'can't' speak to anyone until June. You can believe that long before June Lyle will be well aware of what's on offer elsewhere

• Options
    sam3110 said:
    Do people seriously believe this doesn't happen?  Bowyer and Taylor both know what Brentford were prepared to pay him last summer.  As far as I am aware he was never "given permission" to talk to them. 
  • Options
    Well no, I think we need to offer him more than what others can offer him at this point. I think Lyle wants to challenge himself at the highest level, so if let's say Norwich offered him £20,000 and we offered the same I think he'd still go there because they're more likely to go up and he would be playing with better players. We will need to offer him a boatload of money and convince him that come 1st July we're going to invest massively into the team. His contract expires on 30th June so he'll have to take that on faith rather than evidence and I wouldn't blame him for deciding not to bother if a more convincing offer is on the table
    Norwich will most likely be in the same division. Yes, we would have to convince him we were having a go and offering him a good deal would help there. Of course he will have the same doubts as we have about ESI and they would have to be showing some intent. But if they do, well Taylor has to be top of the list and it is action that doesn't need to wait.