Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - Different Class

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Leuth said:
    Genuinely missed him getting booked today - what did he do?
    Ran off with the ball for about ten seconds after Luton had been awarded a free-kick. Goaded their keeper into trying to grab it off him. Went down dramatically. Hilarious and obvious yellow card, ref handled it well
    Fair enough. Still, there’s a lot less of it and I’m okay with it when it’s efforts to wind up the opposition. There’s definitely a lot less of the dissent towards refs than when he first arrived and racked up 5 bookings on double quick time. 
    He spoke to a psychologist last season on ways to positively channel his frustrations to help the team and to stop the yellow cards. 
    I don't know whether I am reading too much into it, but it seems to me that since the turn of the year he has toned down his social media output, but has started deliberately winding up the away fans in the Jimmy Seed. This of course further endears him to us.

Separately on Valley Pass before he commenced the walk-up to the penalty, we got a close up of a Luton player engaging him in conversation. You could watch it and think they were discussing which Tesla is worth buying - but I'd pay a lot to hear what was really said. Didn't work, anyway. He really is a very unusual football personality
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Drink it in deep. At Charlton such players like Kinsella, Yann and Taylor, those who have that talismanic quality, don't come along very often.
    Dare I say he is the Fred Binney of this generation? 😁
  • Options
    He’s not even our top earner in the current sqaud - speaks volumes. 
  • Options
    It is economics - to keep Taylor we need to offer him what others will offer him. That is why no other player can complain. I think it will be a sign of intent if we keep him, and he should be made Captain for next season if that is the case. 
    Well no, I think we need to offer him more than what others can offer him at this point. I think Lyle wants to challenge himself at the highest level, so if let's say Norwich offered him £20,000 and we offered the same I think he'd still go there because they're more likely to go up and he would be playing with better players. We will need to offer him a boatload of money and convince him that come 1st July we're going to invest massively into the team. His contract expires on 30th June so he'll have to take that on faith rather than evidence and I wouldn't blame him for deciding not to bother if a more convincing offer is on the table
    Norwich will most likely be in the same division. Yes, we would have to convince him we were having a go and offering him a good deal would help there. Of course he will have the same doubts as we have about ESI and they would have to be showing some intent. But if they do, well Taylor has to be top of the list and it is action that doesn't need to wait.
    I think you've missed my point. I'm well aware Norwich will likely be in the same division, that's why I used them as an example. My point is that we can't just match another team's offer, we have to either massively increase it or get him to take on faith that we'll invest in every area of the team in a way that will see us become serious promotion contenders. It's not just economics anymore like you said, it's going to take Lyle deciding that he is willing to wait with us as well as a lot of money to get him to stay
  • Options
    Sign him up early is what Mutts is saying ! 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    One area he’s improved a lot this season is walking the line. Missed those matches through suspension last season that, arguably, cost us promotion and also had to run the gauntlet trying to avoid a suspension for 10 bookings. He’s still a niggly little WUM, but it’s been a while since his last ‘stupid’ booking. Sets just the right example and definitely thrives on wearing the armband today. Bonne is learning some tricks from him too. 
    I don't think he cost us promotion last season. 
    Thanks for tuning in from pedants’ corner. Automatic promotion then, you know what I meant. 
    I didn’t. B)
  • Options

While we could still be in league 1 next season, I am sure he would only be to happy with that.......... 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

While we could still be in league 1 next season, I am sure he would only be to happy with that.......... 
    A clause could easily be put in 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    But paying Lyle what other clubs will pay him will show some intent wouldn't it? That is assuming there is intent of course. Ideally we make ourselves safe a.s.a.p and then the serious talks start. Bowyer has suggested there are a couple of things outside of just the money so it may still be possible if they are addressed. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Which would have to entitle him to a free transfer.  I having been saying for months, until we know what division we are are next season there isn't enough common ground to get a contract agreed and signed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The premier league is awash with kids who've never kicked a ball competitively and are still earning £20k a week. Why do people think that a free agent like Lyle who's excelled in the championship will only be offered £20k? If I was his agent I'd be looking for at least double that amount and if I was a lower level premier league  chairman I'd pay it.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Which would have to entitle him to a free transfer.  I having been saying for months, until we know what division we are are next season there isn't enough common ground to get a contract agreed and signed. 
    He’s on a free transfer anyway , so the clause would be protection for Lyle against a relegation this season .
    signing him now would show great intent and would require a level of trust from Lyle that ESI are the real deal not flakey sheikhy 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The thing for Lyle is that if he is signed on a free by a Premier League team, it may be as backup. Charlton would have to convince him they are going to try to get promoted next season. I am not a fan of 5 year plans in football. I don't think they work and are complete bullshit. Have a two year or even one year plan and review progress from there.
  • Options
    Taylor is a genuine superstar in the Championship, capable and deserving of playing in a higher division. If Charlton want to keep him we are going to have to fight on three fronts:
    • Seriously upping his wages to something at least approaching what he might earn with a step up.
    • Coming up with some creative package to counter the fact that he wouldn't pick up a transfer fee.
    • Show serious intent that we expect to get promoted in the near future.
    The facts that he 'loves Bowyer' and seems very happy at our club may go a fair way to redressing that balance, but I think his age, his agent and possibly his family (I'm just guessing with the latter) may push things against us. 

The alternative to keeping him may be to say that the money the club would get would enable us to seriously strengthen in 3 or 4 other positions. It's not what I'd want to see and it's not the most exciting of options. But it may be easier and less risky.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He’s on a free transfer anyway , so the clause would be protection for Lyle against a relegation this season .
    signing him now would show great intent and would require a level of trust from Lyle that ESI are the real deal not flakey sheikhy 
    But if he sees out his contract he is probably looking at a 7 figure signing on fee, with us or not, give him a million in March then a free in June?

IMO there is contract we could offer him that he will sign at this moment in time. 

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Ran off with the ball for about ten seconds after Luton had been awarded a free-kick. Goaded their keeper into trying to grab it off him. Went down dramatically. Hilarious and obvious yellow card, ref handled it well
    He ran with the ball to where the free kick was given. It’s not like picked up the ball and ran forest gump style, down the tunnel, out of the stadium towards the station. Never a booking
    There is no need for any opposition player to pick up the ball once a fee kick has been given. If a player does then they are justifiably in line for a booking imo. Taylor knew what he was doing & didn't seem too fussed that he was booked. I would have booked the gk too for grabbing hold of Taylor but refs are loathe to do this as they are then leaving themselves with a problem down the line if they want to book them for time wasting. 
    I was really annoyed at the ref for booking Taylor. The keeper completely over-reacted and assaulted him. Taylor was just carrying the ball to where the kick was and at a fair pace. Would need to see it again to be sure.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Taylor is a genuine superstar in the Championship, capable and deserving of playing in a higher division. If Charlton want to keep him we are going to have to fight on three fronts:
    • Seriously upping his wages to something at least approaching what he might earn with a step up.
    • Coming up with some creative package to counter the fact that he wouldn't pick up a transfer fee.
    The facts that he 'loves Bowyer' and seems very happy at our club may go a fair way to redressing that balance, but I think his age, his agent and possibly his family (I'm just guessing with the latter) may push things against us. 

The alternative to keeping him may be to say that the money the club would get would enable us to seriously strengthen in 3 or 4 other positions. It's not what I'd want to see and it's not the most exciting of options. But it may be easier and less risky.
    Am I missing something? How would the club get money?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Not sure why ESI can't make a concerted attempt to sign him on a juicy contract before the end of the season. Southall talked about a few marquee players and Taylor surely has to be one of them.
    In fairness, we don’t know what’s going on in the background.
    IMHO I suspect all parties are pretty well clued up as to what Taylor is likely to want, it just depends if those demands and ambitions are met.
    I shudder to think where we would be now if we’d let him go last month......something made him want to stay, though I’m not ‘exactly’ sure what it was.
    I think (assuming we stay up), we will move heaven and earth to keep him and that we’ll get him on at least another years contract.
    I think he will watch intently to see how much money is made available for new signings and what calibre of players are brought in before he makes any final decision.
    I have always been and will always remain a glass half fullionister.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He ran with the ball to where the free kick was given. It’s not like picked up the ball and ran forest gump style, down the tunnel, out of the stadium towards the station. Never a booking
    There is no need for any opposition player to pick up the ball once a fee kick has been given. If a player does then they are justifiably in line for a booking imo. Taylor knew what he was doing & didn't seem too fussed that he was booked. I would have booked the gk too for grabbing hold of Taylor but refs are loathe to do this as they are then leaving themselves with a problem down the line if they want to book them for time wasting. 
    I was really annoyed at the ref for booking Taylor. The keeper completely over-reacted and assaulted him. Taylor was just carrying the ball to where the kick was and at a fair pace. Would need to see it again to be sure.
    That’s how I saw it. Taylor took the ball round the keeper, picked it up and ran back towards play. Their keepers reaction got him booked. Lyle could easily have rounded the keeper and left the ball for the keeper to pick up. That would have been a more justified booking
  • Options
    He loves the adulation he gets at Charlton, never had this anywhere else in his career and unlikely to get anything similar anywhere else . Money is important to him , just as it is to everyone  , but an improved deal now could tempt him . Come on ESI you know he's worth it . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:

No, I'm missing something. I was imagining we had some sort of magic mechanism for selling out of contract players  ;)
  • Options
    IMO Lyle has done enough to put him above Yann in our best strikers of all time.
  • Options
    It would be good to see stats of both players in League 1 and Championship. Of course, we know their influence is greater than this but could make interesting reading.
  • Options
    Derek Hales too
  • Options
    Shame he is the best crosser of a football we have as if he was on the end of his own crosses he would be up there as the League's top scorer.
  • Options
    Yann Kermorgant:
    League 1, 12 goals
    Championship, 17 goals
    Cup games, 3 goals
    Total goals 32, Games played 89

Lyle Taylor:
    League 1, 21 goals
    Championship, 11 goals
    Cup games, 3 goals
    Total Goals 35, Games played 56

Stats from Transfermarkt, Wikipedia, Soccerbase. Apologies if anything is incorrect

• Options
    Shame he is the best crosser of a football we have as if he was on the end of his own crosses he would be up there as the League's top scorer.
    True.
    That's why Naby's fantastic cross might have come to nothing if Taylor wasn't playing against Forest 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Stig said:

No, I'm missing something. I was imagining we had some sort of magic mechanism for selling out of contract players  ;)
    It could be like those old Nigerian property scams that used to flood inboxes
  • Options
    Derek Hales too
    Killer was an out and out striker and his record of 148 goals in 320 appearances in his two periods at the valley would make him the main man but the best is subjective.