Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - Different Class

Comments

• Options
    Just head and shoulders above everything else on the pitch. His game season by season gets better and more influencing. 

Confidence clearly back as the wind ups are back as well.

I’m resigning myself In thinking that it’s increasingly unlikely we’ll be able to keep him here next season.

I'm not at all sure our chances of keeping him are declining.
    I think if he were predominantly mercenary in his outlook, we'd have lost him in 2019.  He knew there was significantly better money on offer from Brentford and probably others.  The club resisted but players routinely force the issue for the sake of money alone - he didn't.
    We were led to believe he chose us over Sunderland in 2018 for reasons other than just money.  He clearly loves the adulation here, he's by far the biggest fish in our particular pond.  He'll also recognise that in Phillips, Doughty, Lapslie and Bonne, we already have the nucleus of a promising squad.
    He's on record that the enjoyment for him is in scoring goals -  he's done that frequently at Charlton under this management team.  He's 30 next month he's probably at his career pinnacle physically.  The chances of him improving again in the next 2 years the way he has improved in the last 2 years are slight.  Is he the type to enjoy the wages while warming the bench somewhere "bigger" or "more glamorous"?  Most of his moves thus far have been in search of regular football.
    If some other body offers him mega money for 4 years or more, he'll take it, obviously, and we'll have to wave him goodbye and wish him all the best.  Those offers are outside Charlton's control and can't be allowed to disrupt the overall plan and budget.
    LB, JJ, SG et al have to appraise MS and H.E. of Lyle's true value to Charlton.  No one player is worth busting the budget for but retaining him avoids all the risks and uncertainties of trying to recruit a replacement of at least equal quality.
    We got him within one of the smallest budgets in League 1 - retaining him within a sensible Championship budget seems highly plausible to me.  The dream scenario would include LT having some commercial link up like Wayne Rooney has with that gambling setup which creatively  funds his costs; that way LT earns the megabucks and Charlton's budget remains balanced.
    If we're relegated or still constrained to a 3rd division budget for next season, LT's gone, no arguments.  I don't think either is likely.

• Options
    one of these days he's gonna miss one of those pens.......and I think I can forsee who against !
    Really? We don’t usually get into their penalty box
  • Options
    I woke would like to think that even if a relegated team offered him a deal that he would stay. Unfortunately, I can see Brighton co ing in for him. He would still be close to family (if he moves home) and get premiership football. Message to Brighton scouted.....the Barnsley forward is better
  • Options
    When was that counter attack interview exactly out of interest?
    Just after the away draw at West Brom (Cullen last min pen) I think judging by the conversation.
  • Options
    When was that counter attack interview exactly out of interest?
    Taylor says in the interview about "the boys drew 2-2 with West Brom last night" and he says he has been injured 7 weeks and would be starting training again 'next week'... 
  • Options
    If that spectacular angled 20 yard half volley that he tried at Wembley and just missed had gone in I reckon Lyle would be playing in the premier league this season. Small fractions....
    Can't recall that one. Was it down our end or first-half?
  • Options
    If that spectacular angled 20 yard half volley that he tried at Wembley and just missed had gone in I reckon Lyle would be playing in the premier league this season. Small fractions....
    First half. Just outside the box right hand-side. Beautiful curling outside of the boot effort which if it had gone in would have drooled over for generations. 
  • Options
    1min in... 

https://youtu.be/dyQ1BJf4p9Q
  • Options
    995632 said:
    Saw in the media that Joelinton at Newcastle cost £43 million, and Steve Bruce has said that he is not a natural goalscorer. Lyle put in a total Centre Forward performance against Luton and I can easily see interest in him from Prem clubs. He said on the ***Counter Attack podcast that playing/scoring in the Premiership is the last thing to do on his career bucketlist, and no one would turn down the chance to play in the Prem. He says it doesn't matter about money or anything, the chance to play in the Prem would be impossible to turn down.

He dies say at the end that he would be honoured to have another contract with us and says he feels 'at home'. Unfortunately, I think we only have until the end of the season to enjoy his skills and what he brings to the club. But I don't think any of us can begrudge him an opportunity like that! 

***Prem chat 21mins 30. Contract chat 27mins 25. Interesting conversation all in all... 
    https://youtu.be/yQLqLnaE6IE

If you can spare 30 mins, this is an excellent listen.
    30 mins of Lyle Taylor talking.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think we should offer him a significantly better contract and do our best to keep him here, by the same token he loves the adulation he receives in SE7, at 29, he should consider that if he goes, he would earn more in the short term and not be guaranteed first team football every week. 

If he stays, under significantly better financial terms, I have no doubt he would be assured legend status and recieve a heros welcome long after he has retired, perhaps even a route into coaching should he wish it as soon as he retires. 

I do think its not guaranteed he will leave, I also think he will get his head down and work his socks off for us until such time a decision either way is reached. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Counter Attack podcast video above is well worth a listen. Lyle speaks about the importance of leading the team (13th minute) and how important that's been to him under Bowyer. That was in October. He didn't get that chance of being the team leader at Wimbledon despite being strongly of the view he should have been, and he makes the point that that is one factor that has led to his playing career taking off at Charlton. 

Many other interesting points made. The pink hair and cancer awareness, his criticism of footballers who don't use their platform for good, and his 14 GCSEs, some of the standouts for me.

Thanks for posting @995632.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I still would prefer we always took a long view and never broke the wage structure. That is the road to ruin and I'm sure ESI would always put sustainability first. Other players will come through and succession planning will always be crucial as in any industry.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I think we should offer him a significantly better contract and do our best to keep him here, by the same token he loves the adulation he receives in SE7, at 29, he should consider that if he goes, he would earn more in the short term and not be guaranteed first team football every week. 

If he stays, under significantly better financial terms, I have no doubt he would be assured legend status and recieve a heros welcome long after he has retired, perhaps even a route into coaching should he wish it as soon as he retires. 

I do think its not guaranteed he will leave, I also think he will get his head down and work his socks off for us until such time a decision either way is reached. 
    I don't think garanteed football is an issue, its set for life. This is his last shot at a "set for life" contract.  If he backs himself as much as I think he would say be happy to go as 3rd or 4th choice knowing he could force his way into almost any team. 
  • Options
    one of these days he's gonna miss one of those pens.......and I think I can forsee who against !
    I'm not so sure... He waits for the Goalkeeper to dive and its not a technique he's started doing on a whim

Dont forget its something he sat down and discussed with our own 'keepers to get in their mindset
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think we could offer him four years. The way he plays, I think he can offer something for that duration and given his age, it may be attractive.
  • Options
    I think we could offer him four years. The way he plays, I think he can offer something for that duration and given his age, it may be attractive.
    He could play for 5 at this level because he hasn't got the miles on the clock that most 29 year old have. 
  • Options
    You have to think that a possible solution for us will be the length with possibly a buy out clause if a Premier League club come in for him and offer X.
  • Options
    I think he'll be off to the premier in the summer, probably one of the promoted teams, 
  • Options
    What I don’t get is this. Lyle turned down our offer and we refused Brentford’s renewed bid. So potentially for the rest of the season Lyle is “losing” circa  £10k per week. Have the club topped up his wages? If not then why would he sign for us in the summer after taking such a financial hit?  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    What I don’t get is this. Lyle turned down our offer and we refused Brentford’s renewed bid. So potentially for the rest of the season Lyle is “losing” circa  £10k per week. Have the club topped up his wages? If not then why would he sign for us in the summer after taking such a financial hit?  
    Read my post from earlier.....something made him stay with us, something which he was perfectly happy to accept..........I am left wondering what on earth it could have been.
    So many people were convinced he’d be gone in the January window (a view not shared by myself by the way), but he chose to stay.
    I for one won’t be the least bit surprised if a another deal will see him stay with us for at least another season but first we have to avoid relegation to make that a possibility.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not so sure... He waits for the Goalkeeper to dive and its not a technique he's started doing on a whim

Dont forget its something he sat down and discussed with our own 'keepers to get in their mindset
    What would happen if the keeper didn’t dive? I’m assuming he’d have a plan to slot it in a corner, but might it unnerve him?
  • Options
    Read my post from earlier.....something made him stay with us, something which he was perfectly happy to accept..........I am left wondering what on earth it could have been.
    So many people were convinced he’d be gone in the January window (a view not shared by myself by the way), but he chose to stay.
    I for one won’t be the least bit surprised if a another deal will see him stay with us for at least another season but first we have to avoid relegation to make that a possibility.
    I think what made him stay was his contract, which runs out 30/6/2020.
  • Options
    i heard at the time from somebody itk at brentford in August that Taylor was camped outside their training ground on the deadline day waiting to go but we rejected their bids.

that didn’t happen and by the time it’s now got to Jan. At which point he is 5 months away from being available on a free and potentially being able to get a large amount of the 4m transfer fee he’d be worth under contract paid to him as a signing on fee. 

When it comes to June to keep him we will essentially have to buy him again - ie pay him a big signing on fee to match what another club would pay him, then also offer him a substantial contract. And that’s relying on him only getting offers from champ clubs as he’ll go to a prem club if one wants him, and I’d be shocked if none of them did!

will keep praying esi boys earn their stripes on this one and throw some serious cashish at it but really can’t see it. The way he played on Saturday, clubs are going to be queuing up for him. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    995632 said:
    Saw in the media that Joelinton at Newcastle cost £43 million, and Steve Bruce has said that he is not a natural goalscorer. Lyle put in a total Centre Forward performance against Luton and I can easily see interest in him from Prem clubs. He said on the ***Counter Attack podcast that playing/scoring in the Premiership is the last thing to do on his career bucketlist, and no one would turn down the chance to play in the Prem. He says it doesn't matter about money or anything, the chance to play in the Prem would be impossible to turn down.

He dies say at the end that he would be honoured to have another contract with us and says he feels 'at home'. Unfortunately, I think we only have until the end of the season to enjoy his skills and what he brings to the club. But I don't think any of us can begrudge him an opportunity like that! 

***Prem chat 21mins 30. Contract chat 27mins 25. Interesting conversation all in all... 
    https://youtu.be/yQLqLnaE6IE

If you can spare 30 mins, this is an excellent listen.
    30 mins of Lyle Taylor talking.

Speaks well, does Lyle. I like him lot - talks straight and knows his worth. To some that may come across as arrogant but I think he's a realist. Having just watched this interview, I would say I feel more confident about our chances of keeping him. We have to make him a fair financial offer, obviously, but I'm not sure we necessarily have to be the highest offer. I think this club has got under his skin a little bit, like it does with a lot of players of the right mindset. Doesn't mean he'll necessarily stay, but it just adds another dimension to the decision he has to make, and one that it is hard to put a value on.
  • Options
    ^^^ pay Lyle £2-4m signing on fee, 3 year contract with a £20m buy out clause and an extra 1 year extension all on top championship striker wages. Put in a promotion clause (uplift in salary and huge bonus), a relegation get out clause where the buy out is reduced to £3m, make him club captain. 

If he wants to see other signings, add some clauses around that similar to the relegation clause. 

Like Bowyer signing up, having Taylor secured will increase our ability to sign players over the summer.

We will see what we can do but there’s no doubt he thrives on being at the Valley and working with Bowyer so we have a chance against most offers. 
  • Options
    I think what made him stay was his contract, which runs out 30/6/2020.
    That and ESIs valuation of him.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ^^^ pay Lyle £2-4m signing on fee, 3 year contract with a £20m buy out clause and an extra 1 year extension all on top championship striker wages. Put in a promotion clause (uplift in salary and huge bonus), a relegation get out clause where the buy out is reduced to £3m, make him club captain. 

If he wants to see other signings, add some clauses around that similar to the relegation clause. 

Like Bowyer signing up, having Taylor secured will increase our ability to sign players over the summer.

We will see what we can do but there’s no doubt he thrives on being at the Valley and working with Bowyer so we have a chance against most offers. 
    That all makes sense. Unfortunately, the most likely scenario is that a newly promoted team such as Fulham will see him as a fantastic acquisition at relatively low cost and he will be in the Prem. Lyle’s comment in the video about Karlan’s easy decision to go to Huddersfield says it all. I love the guy and desperately want him to stay. Unfortunately for us, time is not on Lyle’s side which means he can’t spend 2-3 more years with us trying to get to the Prem. Let’s enjoy seeing his skill, quality and effort a few more times and hope for a mini-miracle.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I don’t think the club increased his wages. The bottom line was we refused the bids, he was under contract so he wasn’t holding any of the cards - different matter in the summer though. He is in a very strong position.