Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - Different Class

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    I agree with paulsturgess.
    If a Prem club comes in for him he'll go 100%.
    I base that on the fact that he said it.
    If a club come in with a better chance of reaching The Prem than us, he'll go, because he wants to play in The Prem.

Our only chance of signing him is if somehow ESI convince Taylor that we're going to gain promotion next season.
    This. I dont think it's all about money for him. Yes him being set up for life would be something he has to take into account but I'm not sure he worries about it too much. Hes an intelligent fella and I dont think he is the sort who would be happy sitting around doing nothing. I'm sure he already has a plan for his retirement. 

I think it's all about challenging himself at the highest level. He wants to play in the prem and cant be part of a 5 year plan to get there. I would expect a newly promoted club to take a gamble on him. If not a club just relegated or one right at the top of the division aiming to win the league will certainly take him. 

I am fully prepared to see him go in the summer and I'm okay with it. Obviously I want him to stay but I dont expect him to. 

I dont think we can have any complaints about Lyle leaving on a free either. He ran his contract down at Wimbledon in order to leave on a free and play for a club challenging at the top of the division and get promoted and take a step up. It's the only way we were able to get him. Can hardly have any complaints if he does the same to leave us. It is what it is. 

His performances have been exceptional, his commitment unlimited and his behaviour around the club and the community exemplar. You can ask no more of a player.
    Well maybe a goal against Millwall
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor reminds me of Garry Nelson. They both were with us in the latter stages of their careers and I do not understand why they were not at much higher levels in the peaks of their careers.

• Options
    I honestly think he will sign a new deal. Lee will push to keep him, Lyle based on that video wants to stay, match his terms and we are good to go. 

If we let him go, it will be a almighty balls up from the club
  • Options
    I honestly think he will sign a new deal. Lee will push to keep him, Lyle based on that video wants to stay, match his terms and we are good to go. 

Yep agree, so far ESI have spent next to nothing, let’s see what they are really made of!
  • Options
    Just head and shoulders above everything else on the pitch. His game season by season gets better and more influencing. 

Confidence clearly back as the wind ups are back as well.

I’m resigning myself In thinking that it’s increasingly unlikely we’ll be able to keep him here next season.

I'm not at all sure our chances of keeping him are declining.
    I think if he were predominantly mercenary in his outlook, we'd have lost him in 2019.  He knew there was significantly better money on offer from Brentford and probably others.  The club resisted but players routinely force the issue for the sake of money alone - he didn't.
    We were led to believe he chose us over Sunderland in 2018 for reasons other than just money.  He clearly loves the adulation here, he's by far the biggest fish in our particular pond.  He'll also recognise that in Phillips, Doughty, Lapslie and Bonne, we already have the nucleus of a promising squad.
    He's on record that the enjoyment for him is in scoring goals -  he's done that frequently at Charlton under this management team.  He's 30 next month he's probably at his career pinnacle physically.  The chances of him improving again in the next 2 years the way he has improved in the last 2 years are slight.  Is he the type to enjoy the wages while warming the bench somewhere "bigger" or "more glamorous"?  Most of his moves thus far have been in search of regular football.
    If some other body offers him mega money for 4 years or more, he'll take it, obviously, and we'll have to wave him goodbye and wish him all the best.  Those offers are outside Charlton's control and can't be allowed to disrupt the overall plan and budget.
    LB, JJ, SG et al have to appraise MS and H.E. of Lyle's true value to Charlton.  No one player is worth busting the budget for but retaining him avoids all the risks and uncertainties of trying to recruit a replacement of at least equal quality.
    We got him within one of the smallest budgets in League 1 - retaining him within a sensible Championship budget seems highly plausible to me.  The dream scenario would include LT having some commercial link up like Wayne Rooney has with that gambling setup which creatively  funds his costs; that way LT earns the megabucks and Charlton's budget remains balanced.
    If we're relegated or still constrained to a 3rd division budget for next season, LT's gone, no arguments.  I don't think either is likely.

Good post although I don't agree with the point you make about not breaking budgets to keep your star man. 

Players like this come very, very rarely. You need to go flat out to keep players like that.

If Lyle was injured all season and hadn't played or was sold we would be in the bottom 3. 
    If he stayed fit, I think as of today we would be in the top half and in the mix for play offs. 
    That's the difference, that's why in my opinion you break the bank to keep those kind of players
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Shame he is the best crosser of a football we have as if he was on the end of his own crosses he would be up there as the League's top scorer.
    Whats stopping him, Lazy Bastard!
    I thought that sat. If only a Lyle mark 2 could score from Lyle's crosses. It would be a lovely combination. But then Bonne played a decent 1-2 with lapo as well. 
  • Options
    I think Green, Bonne and Taylor as a front 3 are perfect
  • Options

It's not a question of letting him go, it's down to whether we can match the attractiveness of any offers he might receive, and if those offers include a PL club in the South East that's going to be a tough, but not impossible battle to win
  • Options
    I guess that Lyle won't consider signing a new contract with us until he knows we are in the Championship for next season and  also that ESi are willing to splash some cash on new players to show our intent to improve the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When bowyer talked about 'certain things' needing to happen for Lyle to stay, perhaps he meant Lyle being the new team captain? Seemed to be a big thing for Lyle after watching that interview
  • Options
    clive said:
    I love his workrate, but at times almost wish he'd save himself a bit, especially with all the games coming up. Ideally we won't want him charging back to cover at left back, let others do that sort of running
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Really, he clearly said it's his dream to play in The Premier League and if he gets the opportunity he'd take it, just like Karlan Grant did. (He also said he likes it at Charlton, he wouldn't rule out staying and would be sad to leave).
  • Options
    Lyle weakest game at the valley against Blackburn to his strongest against Luton.

Not only Naby Sarr who can go from the ridiculous to the Sublime.

The CL member who said Lyle Taylor was found out against Blackburn should be ashamed.

• Options
    Lyle is not only a great centre forward, he pops up on the wing, at full back and dropped back into centre midfield for the latter stages on Saturday too. Seriously, the geezer is such a complete footballer, if you asked him to play centre half I reckon he'd do a decent job. Just can't see him staying, no matter how much money ESI throw at it. A prem team will come in for him, and it would be hard to begrudge him a crack at it. Unless it's palace obviously!
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Really, he clearly said it's his dream to play in The Premier League and if he gets the opportunity he'd take it, just like Karlan Grant did. (He also said he likes it at Charlton, he wouldn't rule out staying and would be sad to leave).
    I don't understand the lol's ?
    If he gets a Prem offer you won't see him for dust and who'd blame him ?
    If he doesn't get a Prem offer, or offer from a club with a better chance than us, he might stay.

I'd say we have a 5% chance, unless ESI really are loaded and are going to buy a team to win the league in the summer.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Lyle is not only a great centre forward, he pops up on the wing, at full back and dropped back into centre midfield for the latter stages on Saturday too. Seriously, the geezer is such a complete footballer, if you asked him to play centre half I reckon he'd do a decent job. Just can't see him staying, no matter how much money ESI throw at it. A prem team will come in for him, and it would be hard to begrudge him a crack at it. Unless it's palace obviously!
    On his best days he reminds me of the Sunday League player (bear with me) who is head and shoulders above the rest of his team, so charges around getting involved all over the pitch, and still pops up to score a couple of goals.
    Legend!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    YTS1978 said:
    On his best days he reminds me of the Sunday League player (bear with me) who is head and shoulders above the rest of his team, so charges around getting involved all over the pitch, and still pops up to score a couple of goals.
    Legend!
    I know what you mean, I have seen amateur players who are far superior to his team colleagues who try to do everything because he knows the rest are not good enough and he wants to win
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @JamesSeed and @ross1 yeah, I see where you're coming from! Such a good player. Approaching Yann levels for me. Will be gutted if he leaves
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    In my view he is irreplaceable. His work rate alone is phenomenal & when you add goals & assists to this it would be impossible to get another like him. If you read this Lyle stay with us & become a real legend.
  • Options
    If ESI genuinely have ambition and finances to support it, we know what we are getting with Taylor we should build our promotion push around his goals and pay what we need to keep him. However, my view is that, like Bauer before him, he has made his mind up to move on when his contract ends. We had the opportunity to avoid this in August and blew it. 
  • Options
    If ESI genuinely have ambition and finances to support it, we know what we are getting with Taylor we should build our promotion push around his goals and pay what we need to keep him. However, my view is that, like Bauer before him, he has made his mind up to move on when his contract ends. We had the opportunity to avoid this in August and blew it. 
    the picture now looks a lot different to last August though 'potentially'