Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton | Post-match Thread 7.7.2020

Comments

• Options
    Who gave away the penalty?
    Cullen but for me he won the ball then cleared out Benrahma.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    watched most of the first half and all the second thanks to some slightly illegal stream somebody (not naming names) posted on here. 

we were under the cosh for most of the time but dealt with it well. then the subs came on. ruined us. not having a massive go at Bowyer (and i dont want him to leave us as manager...not yet anyway) but as manager the responsibility is his. he weakened us from being stable with Field on the pitch. Also weakened us on the left side where chance after chance came. 
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Taking Williams off for Lapslie, we deserve to lose for that sub alone
    Crazy sub.
  • Options
    On a positive note we kept the BMW extremely quiet today!! - When again they were supposedly feared ahead of the game

Benrahma had to dive for a penalty yet his shooting was ridiculous today
    Watkins, didnt even notice him
    Mbuemo; Had to be subbed
  • Options
    Bowyer seems to have a good Plan A but as soon as the key players for that plan inevitably get subbed off, they're replaced with players who can't function within it. 

It's pretty useless to have a plan that only lasts for 45-50 minutes of a 90 minute game. 
  • Options
    Would have p[robably taken a 1 goal defeat and a Luton v Barnsley draw beforehand but obviously conceding 2 late goals was disappointing. Presuming the 12 point Wigan deduction stands 4 more points should be enough from here.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Look out spot on 
    As soon as Field and Williams went off, we were on the back foot.
    Injuries and fitness issues could well see Charlton join Barnsley and Luton making a very short stay in this Division.
    Unless Wigan get shafted by the EFL after the far east sting.

Naby Sarr had another great game and will surely get a Championship move at the end of his contract. Do you agree @Leuth

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Morgan and Lapslie like chickens with no heads running after the ball and they just passed around us. 
  • Options
    Felt we deserved something for a sterling effort.
  • Options
    Brentford definitely the better team but 0-1 up for 75 mins and lose is gutting. We were up to 17th at that stage-me bad for looking 😩

Potentially bottom 3 tomorrow.

Phillips has been excellent all season and just my opinion but 5 mins to go, balls flies into the box 5 yards out, punch it rather than just looking?

Seems Keepers like to stick on the line rather than make the positive move and look silly? Personally I would rather him attack the ball.

Easily said of course but always taught,  the Keeper owns the 6 yard box - not for a while apparently. Dillon not the only keeper to not commit in the 6 yard box.

Brentford could potentially go up automatically to the Premiership now, so pretty expected result but we were so close to getting something which we have to take the positives out of......
  • Options
    Wigan deduction isn’t guaranteed and we should no way be relying on it.

Of course it is guaranteed - the rules that govern the whole of the 72 say so, unequivocally.

• Options
    No real complaints,the pressure was always going to tell,but Oshi came on to shore up our left side,and they got a free cross in.I know it was not defended well,but they must have crossed 20 very good balls in the game,one was always going to go their way.Thought ref was crap,why no booking when Phillips was held.
  • Options
    I said at half time that I liked that half time formation and team, as we had the pace to counter attack which is what we needed in a game like this and some creativity. Unfortunately all our changes basically removed the attacking threat, replacing Williams with Lapslie was a desperately negative move, and once we removed Bonne and Doughty we lost any pace we might have had to counter attack.

It's not as if it improved us defensively, as we never got near Benrahma and Dasilva in the second half, they were given ridiculous amounts of time and space on the ball, it was only a matter of time before they punished us. Everyone knows how good Benrahma is good at shooting yet we allowed him space to shoot from the edge of the box, time after time.
  • Options
    Disappointing to lose after we had led for so long and were pegged back by a hotly disputed penalty.  Yet the result was a reflection of Brentford's superiority: 70 per cent possession with Benrahma controlling everything in midfield and much of the attack too.

We were overrun by a swarm of Bees for long periods.  Phillips was our star man with excellent saves, especially late on from a deflected shot.  We passed and moved briskly - but have no attacking strength whatsoever.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who gave away the penalty?
    Cullen but for me he won the ball then cleared out Benrahma.

I don't think he touched the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We don't have many quality backup/squad depth players uegh what the hell Lapslie. Williams and Field starting next week. changed my mind about pratley starting now
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer seems to have a good Plan A but as soon as the key players for that plan inevitably get subbed off, they're replaced with players who can't function within it. 

It's pretty useless to have a plan that only lasts for 45-50 minutes of a 90 minute game. 
    Sadly I have to agree with this.

It was a brilliantly thought out tactic going with the shape we started with. But if the players can't carry out the plan for 90 minutes it's pointless.

Williams has scarcely played for 3 months. Surely he could play for a bit longer now especially as there are only 4 games left to the end of the season.
  • Options
    Was a good game against a very good side. Not sure I agree this is Bowyer's fault. Brentford are a very classy side and we only narrowly lost. Didn't expect to get anything from this game anyway. 
    It was a good game against an excellent side.
    and Only a total moron could blame our superb young manager, we were very unfortunate against a future premier outfit not to get a point.
    the penalty was very very soft and unjust by all accounts.
    and yes their manger does have the personality of a total Prick.
    i do not think we will go down, but no doubt some of our lightweight give in easy fans will disagree.
    such is life, three points next game 👍👍
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Williams performance makes me more baffled for why Bows hasn't used him more since the restart, head and shoulders above anyone else
    Ironically thats the one part of Williams that people should perhaps be focusing on

For 45mins at the very least he did more tonight than McGeady has achieved in any of the games he's played
    I don’t understand why Bowyer hasn’t played him TBH
  • Options
    Suspect we will line up with our preferred team in Saturday.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Bowyer too negative and the ref gifted a penalty where Cullen got to the ball before Benrahma made the most of the contact after the clearance.

No big loss, but a bit disappointing.

Near perfect results around us 
    Dazzler mate, you're clutching at straws here. That was a penalty and if it had been the other way round, we would be furious if it wasn't given.
  • Options
    The Williams sub was a poor one but i still can't work out why he took Doughty off. Was he injured?

Surely he doesn't need resting!