Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton | Post-match Thread 7.7.2020

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    LouisMend said:
    Proof why people shouldn't instantly presume that Williams wasnt tired so why subbed

I thought Bonne looked fine too but as Bowyer says, he could barely move after the game after pulling his groin
    He didn’t pull his groin, he ran himself into the ground and that’s why he couldn’t move in the end.

Lots of rest and recovery now to get ready for Saturday where we can expect to have Hemed back in the squad.
    Need to read better... Thought he said Groin not Ground
    Pretty sure the article originally had a typo
  • Options
    We hit the bar twice could have been 3-2 to us.
  • Options
    Deserved something from the game. Field is growing in stature every game - certainly lost something when he went off.
  • Options
    Them hitting the bar don t count
  • Options
    Sage said:
    LouisMend said:
    Proof why people shouldn't instantly presume that Williams wasnt tired so why subbed

I thought Bonne looked fine too but as Bowyer says, he could barely move after the game after pulling his groin
    He didn’t pull his groin, he ran himself into the ground and that’s why he couldn’t move in the end.

Lots of rest and recovery now to get ready for Saturday where we can expect to have Hemed back in the squad.
    I think it might’ve got edited... don’t think you’re going mad!
  • Options
    I do hope bows realises how much how much better we are with Williams in the team. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Sage said:
    LouisMend said:

Pretty sure the article originally had a typo
    It did indeed. Bowyer was reported as saying that Bonne had "run himself into the groin".  Which is a good trick if you can do it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    Things like this need to stop from all teams... Or is Football turning into American Football with four quarters rather than two halves now?

Drinks break my arse.

He was giving them a full on lecture - it's supposed to be a one minute drinks break. How many Brentford players are holding a drinks bottle in that picture?
    Bowyer and Jacko use the drinks break to convey tactical messages too. Nowt wrong with this, especially given his side then went on to score twice within ~10 minutes. It's good coaching as far as I'm concerned. Their fullbacks getting so far forward caused us all kinds of problems. 
  • Options
    For such a unit field doesnt half get injured a lot. Frustrating as he looks a class above and one for (baggies) future
  • Options
    I agree with some of the other posters here - Charlton played well, put ourselves in a great position against the top in-form side in our league but couldn’t quite hold out. 

I hope LB is able to use the positives to reignite the side for the next few fixtures. We are clearly competitive - that should be a great motivation for the final few weeks.
  • Options
    PWR - Absolutely gutted by the result after that performance but we have to be proud of the performance put in by the lads. No sensible prediction gave anything but a drubbing. I was certainly worried about the possible effects on our goal difference.

What is for certain is that we weren't as good after the changes.
    At least the other results today were kind. Let's hope for more of the same tomorrow and Thursday. 

• Options
    The Williams sub was a poor one but i still can't work out why he took Doughty off. Was he injured?

Surely he doesn't need resting!
    Bruised ribs from crashing into the advertising hoarding?
  • Options
    We understood Bows defensive subs when playing the kids but options are different atm. He does sometimes opt for the backfoot approach more often than front. Not many teams can play that way and do justice to the great Italian teams of old!
  • Options
    Second half we barely strung two passes together. They have a better squad blah blah blah but you cannot sit on the edge of your box for 45 mins and expect anything else. 

To then make subs that create even less of an outlet is once again tactical suicide. Bowyer makes this mistake too much for me, he needs to get out of the cycle. 

Shuffle the pack, change shape, whatever it takes to relieve some sort of pressure. Impossible ask of the players.

Luckily other scores went our way tonight.
    Lets hope EFL uphold the Wigan points deduction otherwise I think we're goners. We just haven't got the strength in depth, we have numbers but not the quality. It might have been different had a certain striker (in more ways than one) had earned his money & seen out the season. Let's hope he doesn't slip getting out of the shower before he has a chance to sign his supa dupa contract elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasn’t exactly like the Brentford goals were against run of play, but it’s alright we got a goal and “ we go again “

think we will need 5/6 points out of remaining 12 without having to Rely on Wigan getting a points deduction.

Only saving grace is everyone around us seems to not be able to score either. 
  • Options
    I can feel the frustration of many on here re: Bowyer’s subs, but it must be very hard to work out what’s best when playing a team like Brentford.  When they have that much of the ball it will drain you both physically and mentally.  I personally would’ve liked to have seen a like for like sub in McGeady coming on for Williams, or for the subs to have been made a little later so as to not invite pressure, but we had a game plan and although Brentford are night and day ahead of us in terms of quality, we almost got something.

As others have mentioned, the season will be defined by the results against Reading, Brum and Wigan.  All 3 of these will be tough and for different reasons from last night, mainly the emphasis on us having to create and score.  

Last night for me was a good effort and it was one of those, are we going to get away with it type approaches.  We didn’t, and although it’s harder to take having held on for so long, for me the way Brentford play football and the amount it took out of us not to have had the ball for so long, I can’t really complain.

I liked Bonne up top on his own rather than with Hemed.  I don’t believe those two have have hit it off and I think Bonne responds to the role of the loan forward more from a psychological point of view.  Maybe Bowyer can find a way for McGeady and Williams to play on sat, I don’t know? 

Fingers crossed Millwall beat Boro tonight, but you can absolutely see them losing just to complete the misery for us after Friday 
  • Options
    Some proper morons on the official club page on Facebook.
  • Options
    @cabbles Millwall are playing this afternoon at 3.00pm, I wouldn't want you to miss following the game 😉.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Brentford are a very good side and if they can manage to get promoted this year I could see them quickly becoming established in the Premier League with maybe 3 or 4 signings to strengthen. It's no disgrace to lose against them. We put in a very good defensive performance but the chances of withstanding that kind of relentless, withering second half pressure without conceding are very slim. 

I thought substituting Jonny looked a bit premature. He was still running strongly and had been one of our best players. Sam Field also played very well but I guess he got hooked because of the knee injury - although tbf that did look a bit innocuous. Macauley had his best game since the resumption and took his goal well.

We need to beat Reading in Saturday. If we match last night's fight and endeavour, but aim to do it further up the pitch, we've got a decent chance. Despite hammering Luton recently, it looks from the possession and shots stats that Reading were thoroughly outplayed by Huddersfield last night. 
  • Options
    I can't fault that effort from all the players, yeah chasing shadows for 60minutes will lead anyone into a mistake.

I don't blame the subs, actually thought all the subs came on and done their bit probably bar chucks but he had a hard task considering he's not actually playing very good.

We earned a point on our goal difference by not getting a hammering. 

Great goal, some great switching of play, hit the bar to goal 2nil up against THE best side in the league in my opinion.

I'm sure some of these ur supporters should just pick Liverpool or City to support just to save their health. 

I'm still just feel really privileged watching Charlton play when 2months back it was a very remote possibility, let's not forget we were down before they decided to finish the season.

We won't go down I'm 100% sure. 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I can feel the frustration of many on here re: Bowyer’s subs, but it must be very hard to work out what’s best when playing a team like Brentford.  When they have that much of the ball it will drain you both physically and mentally.  I personally would’ve liked to have seen a like for like sub in McGeady coming on for Williams, or for the subs to have been made a little later so as to not invite pressure, but we had a game plan and although Brentford are night and day ahead of us in terms of quality, we almost got something.

As others have mentioned, the season will be defined by the results against Reading, Brum and Wigan.  All 3 of these will be tough and for different reasons from last night, mainly the emphasis on us having to create and score.  

Last night for me was a good effort and it was one of those, are we going to get away with it type approaches.  We didn’t, and although it’s harder to take having held on for so long, for me the way Brentford play football and the amount it took out of us not to have had the ball for so long, I can’t really complain.

I liked Bonne up top on his own rather than with Hemed.  I don’t believe those two have have hit it off and I think Bonne responds to the role of the loan forward more from a psychological point of view.  Maybe Bowyer can find a way for McGeady and Williams to play on sat, I don’t know? 

Fingers crossed Millwall beat Boro tonight, but you can absolutely see them losing just to complete the misery for us after Friday 
    Bonne by himself worked for the goal as JFC got up to support him, without him being there as well we wouldn't have scored as well

That was something which worked well under Robinson, who got JFC making really good runs into the box from midfield, as they can be hard to defend, and surely Bowyer himself is the perfect person to continue that coaching
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I had a tenner on us to draw and didn't take the chance to cash out.

Idiot.