Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton | Post-match Thread 7.7.2020

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Doughty's crossing is a bit erratic (an area for him to work on as he improves as a player), but that was an excellent cross he put over. JFC does really well too as he's not exactly renowned for his aerial presence, and showing the value of a midfiedler willing to get into the opposition box. Delighted to see Bonne on the scoresheet - I think he really needed it. Hopefully it puffs his chest out a bit and we see a scoring streak between now and the end of the season, maybe three more goals from him could make a huge difference to us.
    Doughty did put in a couple of good balls. If we have Doughty left, Morgan right and Field holding I think we'll do well. 

Have to also mention how much better Bonne was on his own, rather than trying to play off Hemed. 

Something like: 

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Oshilaja
    Field
    Morgan Cullen F.Caskey Doughty
    Bonne

Which allows Williams to come on when the opposition start to really come at us to break things down with his Am Dram, whilst keeping a level of creativity there. 

Don't like Oshilaja at left back. It worked under specific circumstances vs Hull, but I think it unbalances the side in attack. I actually think

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Doughty
    Field
    Cullen Albie
    Williams
    Aneke/Hemed Bonne

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Doughty's crossing is a bit erratic (an area for him to work on as he improves as a player), but that was an excellent cross he put over. JFC does really well too as he's not exactly renowned for his aerial presence, and showing the value of a midfiedler willing to get into the opposition box. Delighted to see Bonne on the scoresheet - I think he really needed it. Hopefully it puffs his chest out a bit and we see a scoring streak between now and the end of the season, maybe three more goals from him could make a huge difference to us.
    Doughty did put in a couple of good balls. If we have Doughty left, Morgan right and Field holding I think we'll do well. 

Have to also mention how much better Bonne was on his own, rather than trying to play off Hemed. 

Something like: 

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Oshilaja
    Field
    Morgan Cullen F.Caskey Doughty
    Bonne

Which allows Williams to come on when the opposition start to really come at us to break things down with his Am Dram, whilst keeping a level of creativity there. 

Don't like Oshilaja at left back. It worked under specific circumstances vs Hull, but I think it unbalances the side in attack. I actually think

Phillips
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Doughty
    Field
    Cullen Albie
    Williams
    Aneke Bonne
    I like your selection too, but I think unless Bonne and Hemed or Aneke get a random connection out of thin air I'd keep Bonne solo as he seemed better without assuming his partners actions. 
  • Options
    no favors from Millwall then just got beat 0-2 at home by Borough   
  • Options
    johnboy59 said:
    no favors from Millwall then just got beat 0-2 at home by Borough   
    No ,and they still have to go to Hull,where no doubt they will roll over,boro and Hull both have much easier run in than us,this is not looking good.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    SDAddick said:
    Lapslie: 5 - Yikes. He's just not good enough for this division yet. And tonight it showed. His touch isn't good enough, and he doesn't really have a position, plus he lacks physicality. 

Perfectly put, Lapslie doesn't hold his position well. He's not quick or strong enough, has a poor touch, doesn't have an eye for a pass or shot. All he does add is fitness to run around the pitch chasing players.  Usually a second behind them playing the ball, but it's okay because he's not a great tackler either. 

I feel like he's confused as to the role he should be playing more often than not and that can't be blamed considering he seems to be played at a different position every week! 

We either need to nurture him into a position and focus on improving his ability in that position (not saying we aren't doing that in training btw) or allow him to move on so someone else can develop him. I am not sure his career will have many seasons above League 1, which is sad given his bright start a few seasons back. 

From his 48 appearances he has 3 goals and 3 assists. Which is more than I expected as for me he's a defensive player. 

G1 - Crawley Town - EFL Trophy (2-0)
    G2 & A1 - Stevenage - EFL Trophy (8-0)
    A2 - Shrewsbury - L1 (2-1)
    A3 -Mansfield Town - FA Cup (5-0)
    G3 - Luton - Championship (3-1)

I'd argue he has done his best when played as a RM and especially against Brentford in the home game at RB. I think he is too unpredictable at CM. 

I hope we can transform him into Matthews RB support as that game against Brentford he was decent in his time in the RB slot. 

This is not scapegoating Lapslie for the loss, that wasn't down to an error he made or a header he ducked etc, it's simply me showing disappointment for the lack of progression he has shown since the 16/17 season. 
    Let's not forget Lapslie missed a hefty chunk of the season through injury just as he looked to be settling into a role in and around the first team.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Fair point on the injury, but if he's first team quality, we're bound for League 1.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Absolute quality. Great first touch, great engine and good vision. Just needs to pick the confidence to time final pass or shot.

Needs to start playing with a smile too
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Needs to start playing with a smile too
    Well if it worked for Roy Keane...
  • Options
    Just looked again at the Brentford winner.

We had all X1 back but two aspects of the corner puzzle me:

(1) No one should have been unmarked so how come Lapslie ended up covering the two Brentford players on the short corner on his own?

(2) Who, if and when we clear the ball, do we clear it to and does that mean that it keeps coming back and is the reason that we don't have an "out ball" why we are constantly under pressure?
  • Options
    Just looked again at the Brentford winner.

We had all X1 back but two aspects of the corner puzzle me:

(1) No one should have been unmarked so how come Lapslie ended up covering the two Brentford players on the short corner on his own?

(2) Who, if and when we clear the ball, do we clear it to and does that mean that it keeps coming back and is the reason that we don't have an "out ball" why we are constantly under pressure?
    Phillips was screaming at Oshilaja after the goal. He was supposed to go across and cover but he stood there. Has escaped a lot  of criticism for a really basic error. 

I was generally disappointed with the lack of energy our subs provided (other than Lapslie who ran about a lot). Pratley, Oshilaja and Aneke were all jogging around like it was a training match. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really recommend watching this: https://youtu.be/nOEPrtdaN64
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I had a lot of buffering on my feed in the first half so didn't feel able to allocate players marks. However it looks as if the average mark is going to be quite high for a defeat @lancashire lad . Quite rightly so on what I saw and it'll be interesting to see how this compares to other defeats this season or last come to that.
    Someone raised a similar point about players' marks recently: Giving every player 10 after a win undermines the hard work that Lancashire Lad puts in. The marks are routinely wildly overstated - 7s and 8s were thrown around after yesterday's defeat to a far better team. What would you give Benrahma, the Brentford playmaker? 15 out of 10 doesn't work. 

Mate you marked Doughty 5 and Field 5.5? lol

I'd say your marks were understated.

Edit: and Forster-Caskey 5 :O

LOL! All played well against a decent team (maybe apart from 1). 
    What we need is a score for bowyer.