Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton | Post-match Thread 7.7.2020

Comments

• Options
    Great performance by the lads. They are a very class team and the effort put in by every player was just superb.
    Bows sticking Bonne out wide against their left back meant he won a lot of possession and took their centre halves out of the game. Good goal from the las to.
    Doughty was immense today. His first touch on a long ball from Phillips was a) a great pass and b) great control. His run and cross for the goal excellent.
    Really confident we can eek out some points in the games remaining as we defend so well.
    So impressed with Bows. Got it spot on with his tactics today, just a tad unlucky.
    We go again.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    only saw the second goal from the corner once as i stormed out the room after that so missed the replay, was anyone at fault? 
    Looked to be a free header
    Looked to me like it went in off the back of Pearce’s head as he challenged Pinnock.
    Looked like Pearce ducked it to me.
    Daft comment. Pinnock was all over him and it could have been given as a foul
  • Options
    RedRyan said:
    Was it a pen?  :#
    Just watched it again and in slow motion replays. It was 100% a penalty. Cullen didn't touch the ball and took the man's lower shin/ankle. Blinkers removed, it was a penalty. 
  • Options
    Really don't understand this mentality of "Well, at least we didn't get battered." Absolute tin pot mentality that. 
    we all know Brentford are a good side but we were 1 nil up for some time. then we ballsed it up. yes we are a poorer team than them (money wise and up front certainly) but for me todays lose was down to poor substitutions. 
  • Options
    The ten minutes around the penalty showed the gulf in class. We couldn’t get close to them and were peppering us with shots. 

I think the result likely would’ve been largely the same, but the subs were overly defensive and it seems to be a blind spot from Bowyer when seeing out these types of games. We setup defensively to play on the break so to then make even more defensive subs and remove all our counter attacking pace was effectively an admission we’d be surrendering all possession and attacking intent from that point on. It also left is with no way to react once behind. 

We’ve played a lot worse though, and the first half midfield looked decent. I’d consider bringing Albie back in for JFC for more creativity, but otherwise I hope Williams, Field, and Cullen start at the weekend. Two up top as well please. Need to be much more positive in our next match. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I may be Naby Sarr's biggest fan, sure, but I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say that Lockyer, Pearce and Sarr are almost mandatory starters for the rest of the season - we look SO much better. Oshilaja can cover both wing-backs and we can consider our best forward options with that as the extremely solid basis
    I do like that combination as a back 3, it's a real shame that Doughty can't last the 90 and that for some reason Purrington is completely out of favour
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    I may be Naby Sarr's biggest fan, sure, but I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say that Lockyer, Pearce and Sarr are almost mandatory starters for the rest of the season - we look SO much better. Oshilaja can cover both wing-backs and we can consider our best forward options with that as the extremely solid basis
    I do like that combination as a back 3, it's a real shame that Doughty can't last the 90 and that for some reason Purrington is completely out of favour
    Purrington is shit
  • Options
    Sage said:
    So the ref says Cullen won the ball first, but then still gives a penalty? Absolute joke
    Makes a mockery of the laws of the game. He won the challenge because he won the ball. He can’t help momentum taking both himself and Benrahma going into each other.

It’s not a penalty, we got done there.
    It doesn't. The ref says he got a touch on the ball not that it was a clean tackle. Unfortunately a touch on the ball doesn't automatically mean no foul these days. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Really don't understand this mentality of "Well, at least we didn't get battered." Absolute tin pot mentality that. 
    In most circumstances I'd completely agree with you.

However, we played away at the form team of the division.  The one thing we have going for us in the tight relegation struggle we are in the thick of is a better goal difference than most of the teams around us.

Goal difference could prove to be crucial and is almost worth an extra point.

Both Luton and Barnsley need to finish One point ahead of Charlton as our goal difference is so superior. Hull, Huddersfield, and Middlesbrough are only 3 and 4 goals worse off, and Stoke are ahead on goal difference.

It definitely is an extra point ! 
  • Options
    I dod come on to say only 2 men to blame for today & neither of them kicked a ball in anger.

Bows & the Ref.
  • Options
    So the ref says Cullen got the ball, but it’s the follow through? 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    We play what, 9 games in 25 days or something, have a massively injury prone squad with some players like Williams who physically cannot play more than 60 minutes in a game and have the smallest budget in the league and people moan at Bowyers subs.  Give me strength.

Beat Wigan and as long as their 12 point deduction stands, we will be safe IMO.  Barnsley at best win 2 of their 4.  Wigan at best win 2 of 4.  Luton have an easier run in but are like us with a lack of goals and at best win 2 of 4.
  • Options
    robroy said:
    So the ref says Cullen got the ball, but it’s the follow through? 
    I dont even recall there being much of a follow through

Ball went and the Brentford diver started going straight down
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm just pleased we scored from open play, all about taking the little victories. 

We still haven't scored with our feet post lockdown but maybe Bowyer has a bet on or something. 
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Proof why people shouldn't instantly presume that Williams wasnt tired so why subbed

I thought Bonne looked fine too but as Bowyer says, he could barely move after the game after pulling his groin
  • Options
    LouisMend said:
    Proof why people shouldn't instantly presume that Williams wasnt tired so why subbed

I thought Bonne looked fine too but as Bowyer says, he could barely move after the game after pulling his groin
    Williams was still sprinting around! Bonne made sense as he was chasing a whole lotta nothing all game. 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Absolutely get your emotions. Heard the result just after the end as I walked out of work. Rang my dad to seek solace. 80 year old SheffieldAlan was wise and realistic. We have the lowest budget in the league and Brentford have arguably the biggest. They are set up for the premier League and we are set up for league one. I hate losing and find it still hurts whereas dad can take it better. We love our club equally and the stress is shared just no longer in equal measure. Daughter shares my pain. 

We go again. We aren't in the bottom three. That's all that matters. More stress to come, guaranteed. Still trusting Bowyer. 
      Brentford have nowhere near the biggest budget.  Last time we were in the champ our losses were similar, whilst they invested their money in a diverse array of young talent we wasted it on aging internationals and mostly useless Northern Europeans.  Now they operate on a budget only a few million more than then, have narrowed their losses and even made a profit last season even without including the sale of Griffin Park.  Their budget is bottom half if not bottom third.  Their success is strategic and well structured.
  • Options
    Just clicked on the thread & noticed the date.

My wedding anniversary. It would have been 19 years if I hadn't got divorced 10 years ago.

I should have known we would lose.
    Surely happy days and we should have won!

I have a video of my wedding and play it backwards so it has a happy ending! 😉
  • Options
    Now that the dust has settled and I am over the fact we give away a lead and lost, I have been able to look at and there are major positives from this.

1. Bonne Scored
    2. We only lost by one.

• Options
    LouisMend said:

He didn’t pull his groin, he ran himself into the ground and that’s why he couldn’t move in the end.

Lots of rest and recovery now to get ready for Saturday where we can expect to have Hemed back in the squad.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    LouisMend said:

He didn’t pull his groin, he ran himself into the ground and that’s why he couldn’t move in the end.

Lots of rest and recovery now to get ready for Saturday where we can expect to have Hemed back in the squad.
    Need to read better... Thought he said Groin not Ground