Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brentford v Charlton | Post-match Thread 7.7.2020

Comments

• Options
    BR3red said:
    Our 2 closest rivals Hull and Borough.

Their 2 nexts games V ...... Millwall 🙄
    Ain’t going to do us any favours
  • Options
    Who were they clapping at the end in the crowd cheering them one. I was already wound up but that tipped me over edge. 
    Prob Sue for taking the time & effort to get there....
  • Options
    Unlucky not to get a point.

No real complaints other than Aneke is just no threat, even on simple tasks. You know Taylor would've put the fear of God in Jansen and Pinnock when they were trying to play out from the back, but Chuks just strolled about giving them zero pressure. I'd give Davison a chance as sub next game. 

JFC, Cullen, Field & Williams as a combo oozed quite a bit of class at times. 

The camera work was dreadful from iFollow or whoever produces it. 
  • Options
    You can't play for a draw.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Who gave away the penalty?
    Cullen but for me he won the ball then cleared out Benrahma.

I don't think he touched the ball.

I have only seen one replay and I agree Bob.

Anyone at the reverse fixture knows we rode our luck when winning 1-0. Hoping for another 95 minutes of keeping Brentford out when creative players have the ball just outside the area would have taken a miracle.

I said we needed another goal to win when 1 up.(I was wrong !) A really tough defeat to take, but we lost our shape on 60 minutes and the pressure ramps up again.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Would like to know what the subs should have been. Our squad has very limited attacking options, that’s down to the budget rather than Bowyer.

Whatever subs were made it would have been flawed in some way. Too defensive, not enough energy, not enough pace etc.

Bowyer is clearly taking the upcoming games into account and doesn’t want to lose players like Pratley, Williams or Doughty to injury through overplaying them.

Could say put McGeady on but he hasn’t been that much of a threat going forward, and he isn’t great for tracking back and defending. 
    Thank you!!!
  • Options
    Pearce own goal for the second. Doughty had nothing left, had to come off. Same for Williams and Field had a knock. It's not Bowyer's fault that Lapslie and Morgan are not Championship standard. As already posted, we are 4 points and a better goal difference ahead of third from bottom. I think we did well tonight, overall, and I hope the same eleven start on Saturday; we'll have a good chance of a win. Keep the faith.
    But it was Bowyer who chose to replace Williams with Lapslie rather than say McGeady who was the nearest in the squad who could play the same role. 

Yes Green was rubbish against Cardiff, but he would at least have provided us a bit of pace for the last few minutes if he'd been on the bench, which is what we had in the first half.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

We are clearly a team. We're at least as good a team as Brentford, who play and understand each other beautifully - they just happen to have much better players.

Sorry I'm lost 
  • Options
    only saw the second goal from the corner once as i stormed out the room after that so missed the replay, was anyone at fault? 
    Looked to be a free header
    I think it came off the back of Pearce’s shoulder.
  • Options
    Taking off all of our counter-attack threats for zero quality killed us. 

When you sit back, you need someone up front able to hold up the ball and pick a pass. Once Williams + Field went off we had nothing. 

Loss was inevitable at that point. 
    I was gonna do a long post moaning, but the first comment sums up my feelings.
  • Options
    Sorry..... the subs opened us up to relentless Brentford pressure. We were always going to give at least one away. Disappointing......  Move on next game. 
  • Options
    You can't play for a draw.
    I agree. Lucky we didn’t.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:
    Taking off Williams and bringing on Lapsie is such a difference in quality. It shows our lack of depth. 
    Who would you have taken Williams off for?

Dont just sit there and bemoan decisions from Bowyer, actually suggest what he should have done better?
    No one, he wasn't running on empty was still tracking back and looked as energetic as anyone. Was too soon getting him off. 
    Spot on talal. Only thought is that williams was that injured we had tonsacrficie him for lasplie 🙈
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

We are clearly a team. We're at least as good a team as Brentford, who play and understand each other beautifully - they just happen to have much better players.

Sorry I'm lost 
    Ability wise clearly not. But cohesion & spirit, absolutely yes.

Why do you think it took until game 42 for a top six side to beat us?
  • Options
    Really don't understand this mentality of "Well, at least we didn't get battered." Absolute tin pot mentality that. 
    At this point, where GD could be crucial, I would rather take a 2-1 like this than a 4-0 trying to take a game to a team far better than us
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PaddyP17 said:

Sorry I'm lost 
    We play for each other and set up as well as any other team. We are just limited in ability and therefore execution. 
    to me we are nowhere as good a team as brentford but we obvioulsy have different ideas on what a team is 
  • Options
    Really don't understand this mentality of "Well, at least we didn't get battered." Absolute tin pot mentality that. 
    In most circumstances I'd completely agree with you.

However, we played away at the form team of the division.  The one thing we have going for us in the tight relegation struggle we are in the thick of is a better goal difference than most of the teams around us.

Goal difference could prove to be crucial and is almost worth an extra point.

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Sorry I'm lost 

we are a bottom 6 side for a reason 
    We are still punching being outside the bottom 1 !

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Sage said:
    So the ref says Cullen won the ball first, but then still gives a penalty? Absolute joke
    Makes a mockery of the laws of the game. He won the challenge because he won the ball. He can’t help momentum taking both himself and Benrahma going into each other.

It’s not a penalty, we got done there.
    Exactly... Brentford dont get the penalty and probably dont get the momentum that gets them the second goal either as the decision will have lifted their players

If thats a penalty then nearly every challenge in the box is a penalty as endless tackles etc. have the players momentum going into the opposition 
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Sorry I'm lost 

we are a bottom 6 side for a reason 
    We are still punching being outside the bottom 1 !

Swansea away we was only allowed to play 3 of our players because they were still in school holidays