Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Reading | Post-match thread | 11/07/2020

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    RedChaser said:
    Seems like there's a bit of a theme developing here folks with VG and Golfie two centre forwards in their playing days having differing opinions to an ex defensive midfielder come full back. All makes for good debate though chaps 👍😉.
    What? Golfie a centre forward? I don't think so.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    RedChaser said:
    Seems like there's a bit of a theme developing here folks with VG and Golfie two centre forwards in their playing days having differing opinions to an ex defensive midfielder come full back. All makes for good debate though chaps 👍😉.
    What? Golfie a centre forward? I don't think so.
    I thought his claim on here was that was his forte, or do you mean he wore the number 9 shirt and that is as far as it went 😉. Pray do tell this could be interesting for future reference 😈.
  • Options
    Golfie played in the team I formed and we played in the London Kent Border League. He never made it past the halfway line in any game I saw him play. He was a decent enough right back for a poor Sunday league team. The last position I would have played him in (although I left the team picking to someone else) would be up front ( just like myself). We both liked having the play in front of us.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Golfie played in the team I formed and we played in the London Kent Border League. He never made it past the halfway line in any game I saw him play. He was a decent enough right back for a poor Sunday league team. The last position I would have played him in (although I left the team picking to someone else) would be up front ( just like myself). We both liked having the play in front of us.
    Ah you're both men after my own heart. I could have sworn he said he was a striker and with his penchant for, attack, attack, attack fits that profile. Well I never 👍.
  • Options
    All true. I also played right back for Dussek Campbell as well as a couple of pub teams (Fox & Hounds in Dartford being one of them) as well as filling in at left back when required. Also played in goal a few times for Dussek Campbell, picking up a booking for handling outside the area. I did play up front one season for the Boys Brigade when I was 17, scoring a hat trick in one game. Hung up my boots at age 30 when I turned my hand to golf.......
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It makes you understand why we have VAR. Still seething at the ineptitude of the officials. I can accept missing an offside but giving one that wasn't offside is not excusable and the ref's assistant could have helped the ref for the penalty he missed too.  We have to do this in spite of them but We don't look like a broken team and we still can. They need to be punished in the normal way.

What I think Bowyer does need to do is accept we have an issue scoring goals and look at where the goals and where the assists come from. He can't put loads of goals on the pitch so he has to increase the assists. That means Williams, Doughty and Sarr have to start on Wednesday. Bowyer may argue that playing them all may increase the risk of conceding but if he thinks like that, we will play into Birmingham's hands. They are a team who are there to beat and that is how we need to go into the game.
  • Options
    I would start Purrington and Doughty....will let Doughty play left mid and get forward. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    I would start Purrington and Doughty....will let Doughty play left mid and get forward. 
    'Ah fucking Men' to that 
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It isn't just what you see, it is what the numbers say too. They can contradict what you see sometimes. You can't ignore either. 
  • Options
    It isn't just what you see, it is what the numbers say too. They can contradict what you see sometimes. You can't ignore either. 
    The only numbers that count show we've lost the last 3 matches 1-0, 2-1, 1-0 and that in 6 matches since lockdown we've only scored 3 goals
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:
    All this constant knocking of Bowyer whenever a result goes against us is all so predictable and depressing. 

Apparently he "doesn't know what he's doing" now. Oh Really? 
    Not really. Everyones allowed an opinion. My opinion is that his subs have been awful in the past two games. He made some strange decisions before lockdown. Doesnt mean by effect that i dislike him or cant change my mind in the future. 
     I hate this new attitude that no-ones allowed an opinion if its different to a anothers. 
  • Options
    And he’ll always be making the wrong decision until sarr is put up front or on the wing 😂😉
  • Options
    Thought McGeady played well against Reading, until we went all defensive and he was rarely given the chance to get on the ball. I thought some of his ratings on the players marks thread were harsh.
  • Options
    I agree- there was a spell in the first half where he was our best player.
  • Options
    2121 said:
    And he’ll always be making the wrong decision until sarr is put up front or on the wing 😂😉
    LB has said that Sarr is no good as a striker and rarely wins the ball in the air
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A couple of decisions went against us but 3 goals in our last 9 games tells its own story and it’s obvious where are problems lie. The strikers are not up to it and players like Bonne, Aneke and Hemed are really League 1 standard. Albie Morgan, Doughty and Williams aside, we lack any real creativity in midfield and have practically no goals whatsoever from that area of the field, which serves to compound our problems up top.

Conceding a 2nd minute penalty was always a potential hammer blow for a side with so little goal threat and Oshilaja made a real mess of the challenge. He’s done ok playing out of position but there’s always been a concern that he’s an accident waiting to happen and today those fears were realised. A decent professional but, again, he’s not really up to Championship standard.

I thought that we responded reasonably well to going behind, although Reading then had a good spell in the first half where they cut through us far too easily. We should, however, have been on terms but Bonne missed a gilt-edged chance after McGeady’s best moment of the match. Aneke had a goal disallowed for offside just before that - a marginal call and I wasn’t sure from the stream at the time whether it was right or not. Aneke did seem to move forward slightly in anticipation as McGeady shot and that probably caused the linesman to flag (incorrectly, it now appears). It’s just the sort of decision that goes against you when you’re at the wrong end of the table.

I didn’t think that Reading created anything of note in the second half and they were content to play a containing game and rely upon our ineptitude. They were marshalled very well at the back by the excellent Michael Morrison and rarely looked in trouble, save for Alfie Doughty’s superb run and cross, which Pratters missed by inches. Their defender certainly had his arms around JFC but the slightly melodramatic fall probably convinced the ref that it was a dive.

A bitterly disappointing result, especially following Luton’s win at Huddersfield last night, which brings them within three points of us (albeit with a vastly inferior goal difference). At least the results at Hull, Boro and Barnsley went our way, but we really do have to find another win from somewhere if we’re going to save our skins. 

Birmingham are by no means safe. If they lose at Stoke tomorrow, a Charlton win at St Andrews on Wednesday would put us above them on goal difference, so they certainly have something to play for.

Barnsley have a very difficult run-in and Hull have only won once in the last 19 league matches. Luton will feel they have a chance, with games against Hull and QPR to come but, ultimately, we need to conjure up a few goals and points to get our backside out of the bacon slicer.

An insightful and eloquent report as usual, Blucher. Your assessment of our players being merely League One standard is quite correct; the paucity of ability is existential fact, evinced in the league table that has us staring Rochdale in the face.

The gulf in skill was evident against Reading, just as in most games this season: watch closely and you'll see that our opponents control and pass the ball quicker than we do, and make cutting moves while we pootle about in cul-de-sacs.

We all know the big reason: that we have the smallest budget. Sadly, if we go down and money isn't spent on new players, I can see Bowyer jumping at the chance to manage a bigger club.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    2121 said:
    LB has said that Sarr is no good as a striker and rarely wins the ball in the air
    But when you are desperate, he is somebody who occupies your best marker at set pieces.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ross1 said:
    2121 said:
    But when you are desperate, he is somebody who occupies your best marker at set pieces.
    Sarr doesn't have to be picked to play up front to occupy the opposition's best marker at set pieces though. He can do that playing at the back.
    I'd at least give Davison a go before resorting to really desperate measures.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oops! Duplicated post 😬
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oh dear.  Three game suspension and fine for Lee then.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    ross1 said:
    2121 said:
    Sarr doesn't have to be picked to play up front to occupy the opposition's best marker at set pieces though. He can do that playing at the back.
    I'd at least give Davison a go before resorting to really desperate measures.
    I agree. I'd start him. It is just when you are in a desperate straight chasing a game, it is an option worth using.
  • Options
    There were 3 big decisions

1) Reading penalty - correct
    2) Disallowed goal - incorrect
    3) Charlton penalty - JFC was also pulling on the Reading player's shirt so it's nowhere near as clear cut as the first one
  • Options
    There were 3 big decisions

1) Reading penalty - correct
    2) Disallowed goal - incorrect
    3) Charlton penalty - JFC was also pulling on the Reading player's shirt so it's nowhere near as clear cut as the first one
    3 was a free kick on the edge of the box. That's where the pushing and pulling began and should be where the foul is brought back to, had he not dived over he might have got the PK.
  • Options
    And the pull back on Matthews in the box?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Charlton Athletic boss Lee Bowyer: I’ve got to be tough with my players – I only want to help make them better

http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1039042919?-11197:833