Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Reading | Post-match thread | 11/07/2020

Comments

• Options
    Swap the match officials with our forward line and we probably win that 3-1
    This comment deserves far more lols than it's got. Probably too near the truth for some.
  • Options
    I’ve got the right hump after watching that game, how on earth do we come back from this?
    Win our next three games. Easy 
  • Options
    Thank Gawd for this afternoon's results - perfect and have limited the damage. If only for decent officials and an equaliser, it would have been a decent day.
    3 more points (at least 1 vs Wigan) should see us safe if Wigan are deducted the 12 pts. 
  • Options
    Thought it was a 3.00 kick off!!!!
    Took the dog for a long walk, got back at 2.05.
    Paid on Valley Pass too.
    Oh well......I didn’t miss much, might have done myself a favour as matter of fact. 😠😤😠😤
    It’s all these late nights you keep having messaging @Cayman_Island_Addick.  It’s messed your body clock up. 
  • Options
    Got out of jail free card played today with other results 
  • Options
    Other results have fortunately gone our way...Boro and Hull both lost as well as Hudds yesterday....Barnsley drew.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Results have gone our way thankfully but we need to win at least one of our last 3 games and to win games you need to score goals. That's why I'm not overly confident of winning any of them.
  • Options
    But it was mainly Morgan's fault. You can question the wisdom of asking him to track back, but if Bowyer has told him to do it and he doesn't - and we lose by the one goal conceded because of it - then you can see the frustration.
  • Options
    Well at least by Wednesday we'll know what needs doing after most of the other down and outs all play Tuesday. 
  • Options
    Well at least by Wednesday we'll know what needs doing after most of the other down and outs all play Tuesday. 
    It is the inevitability of us knowing what needs doing AGAIN, and us not having the nouse, apptitude call it whatever, to do anything about it.

Sickening every time.  I know the reasons are manifold, shit owners,  bargain basement buying, luck the lack of it or just plain application.

Boring, boring boring.  And that's not just me!

• Options
    Let's not be self-delusional.

We have lost 3 games in a row and seem to have an excuse for each :-(
  • Options
    It is the inevitability of us knowing what needs doing AGAIN, and us not having the nouse, apptitude call it whatever, to do anything about it.

Sickening every time.  I know the reasons are manifold, shit owners,  bargain basement buying, luck the lack of it or just plain application.

Boring, boring boring.  And that's not just me!

Just trying to look on the brightside.... Is there one???? 
  • Options
    Heard on Sky just now that in 20 games that we've gone behind we haven't then scored.

Shocking. 
    Last time we came from a goal behind to win would be Wembley wouldn’t it? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard on Sky just now that in 20 games that we've gone behind we haven't then scored.

Shocking. 
    Last time we came from a goal behind to win would be Wembley wouldn’t it? 
    Bristol City. That stat can't be right from Sky.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I love Bonne for his effort but how many times have we found ourself saying ‘he should have scored’ after a game? Too many for a professional striker in the Championship 
    He needs about 10 chances to score 1 goal. Unfortunately all of our strikers leave a lot to be desired. 
    I really don’t think that narrative is true at all. Yes he’s been poor since the restart but he has 9 goals in his first season in the championship. 

It’s not as if we’re an extremely creative side who put chances on a plate for him all game. He gets 1 or 2 chances a game if he’s lucky.  

He scores a goal every 233 minutes of football, which is very impressive considering the jump he’s made.  

Yes he should score more but he’s not fluffing 9 out of every 10 shots.
    It's a tired argument I'm afraid. He's been gifted absolute dead cert goals. And he's fcked them. Like an open goal from three yards out. Another tap in from four yards. A free header from five yards out. A one on one with time on the ball. 

I wouldn't even call them 'chances'. That should be bread and butter. 

• Options
    Still fuming at the officials. We have been robbed of a point. I don't really think I can bring myself to criticise the players. No one really hides (maybe McGeady, but for once he actually threatened in the first half) - we're just not good at football. And we played quite well today in large parts.

But that is immaterial when they get a pen (Morgan's fault - he does not track his man) and then eventually work their way to a 7-2-1 formation by the end of the game. They were nearly impossible to break down because they parked the bus more transparently than we have ever done this season. 

Oshilaja is getting unfair stick because his first "contribution" was to give away a penalty. He actually did alright and was facing up against a very useful player, but the damage was done after two minutes. Not to say he was empirically "good" but he wasn't as pony as many are suggesting. I think Bowyer's getting it wrong by persisting with him there. Purrington would be a better option.

We looked creative for the introduction of Williams and Doughty. But they're clearly lightweight so I think are best off as subs.

Bonne should've scored or at the least, hit the target.

Aah man I just cannot continue giving thoughts. I am so bloody frustrated. Onto the next one.
  • Options
    Bonne aint the problem. Lyle taylor is the problem. And arguably Hemed. I expected more from him this season as an experienced pro. Instead id rather we took a chance with bonne and davison. I would also love to know who recruited chuks. I think there is a player there, just not a bowyer player.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    sam3110 said:
    Doesn't matter how well you play and what the referees do if you have quadruple the shots of your opponents and double the possession, but the same amount of shots on target, just not good enough
    One of Reading's 2 shots on target was the penalty they were given.

We were denied a stonewall penalty easily equal to the one Reading were awarded ..... which should have been a further shot on target, if we hadn't been cheated by the referee.

Plus the shot on target that Chuks 'scored' from.
    Replay shows the goal should have stood - and therefore was a shot on target.

That's 2 additional 'shots on target' which should have been included in the statistics.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I don’t get people saying things like “we didn’t create enough chances,” “we should have done better,” “we got what we deserved.” (Okay yes we obviously did need to do more in order to get a win but bear with me)

We scored a goal that was wrongly discounted. We had a stonewall decision go against us. If the officials had done their jobs properly the game would have changed there on that basis.

Sure, we *could* have scored (again) but we shouldn’t have needed to. It’s not blaming the officials (well, okay, it is) but it’s not blaming them without cause. We literally did enough but for their incompetence. And I am still sickeningly angry.
  • Options
    First, I am glad we haven't been allowed in to the last two home games. I would be in a darker mood this evening if we had - two insipid home games in a row when we are desperate for points. The fans would have been on the players backs - at least they haven't had to leave the field to a chorus of booing. No great surprise we are struggling to score goals without Taylor. Bonne fed off him and we don't have any other strikers at the club. Chuks Aneke is League One at best and Hemed is just a lump with nuisance factor - they just don't have goals in them. We are at the point in the season when the teams at the bottom tend to lose every week. That's why I thought we only needed three more points before today. Hull and Boro losing kind of proves my point and Barnsley and Wigan drawing helps neither of them. We do still need a win but that could easily come at Birmingham who have nothing to play for, but we do need to create and we might need the rub of the green that we clearly didn't get today. If we don't win on Wednesday, I fear we will have to beat Wigan because I really cannot see us winning at Elland Road. They will simply be too good for us. 
  • Options
    First, I am glad we haven't been allowed in to the last two home games. I would be in a darker mood this evening if we had - two insipid home games in a row when we are desperate for points. The fans would have been on the players backs - at least they haven't had to leave the field to a chorus of booing. No great surprise we are struggling to score goals without Taylor. Bonne fed off him and we don't have any other strikers at the club. Chuks Aneke is League One at best and Hemed is just a lump with nuisance factor - they just don't have goals in them. We are at the point in the season when the teams at the bottom tend to lose every week. That's why I thought we only needed three more points before today. Hull and Boro losing kind of proves my point and Barnsley and Wigan drawing helps neither of them. We do still need a win but that could easily come at Birmingham who have nothing to play for, but we do need to create and we might need the rub of the green that we clearly didn't get today. If we don't win on Wednesday, I fear we will have to beat Wigan because I really cannot see us winning at Elland Road. They will simply be too good for us. 
    But they do. If we beat them we go above them (as it stands today).
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    One thing that does frustrate me when I think about it ...... with the rotation system, Bowyer rarely picks his strongest side.

I mean, when do we see the absolute best 1st team?

Now Bowyer made 5 changes for today's game. He makes it perfectly clear as to why he picks often different matchday squads: horses for courses; allow our 'crocks' to give of their best for an hour; with 2 games per week to keep energy high for his favoured pressing game, etc

Yeah, I get that. But apart from Mathews, Lockyer, Pearce and Phillips in goal, plus Cullen and lately Bonne - the rest of the team constantly fluctuates. 

Did we see our strongest 1st team start today? I doubt it was.
    What do the rest of you think?