Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Doncaster | Saturday 19th September 2020.

Comments

• Options
    Makeshift squad and a makeshift performance.

Need pratley back in midfield, 2 centre halves and a right back to try and compete.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Unless the embargo ends, I think Bowyer needs to find a defensive system and stick to it rather than making changes in matches

Even if the system isn't great, at least if we spend all week training in a certain shape, then the players can get used to it. Switching formations during a game is hard enough for experienced players, but REALLY hard for kids like Barker or inexperienced non defenders like Morgan and Doughty (or even Pratley)
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    They were a well oiled machine, we were a rust bucket.
    Not for the first 25 they weren't.

We need a sports psychologist to deal with our players fragile mentalities when they concede.
  • Options
    Blimey

Maybe that explains why he was so unfit on Tuesday. I assume the rest of the squad were tested and found negative
  • Options
    That was poor. Should be better than that and I thought we started fairly brightly but failed to take one of the chances. Bonne,s header was guilt edge for a forward. Hope we can somehow get Aneke fit enough to play but bigger issues at the back. Not feeling positive about this season but priorities are more focused on take over and stability. Hope we can get this done otherwise we are sinking into the abyss. Not many if any real positives to take from today. 
  • Options
    Which came first Cawley comment or @charlton_hero
  • Options
    That first goal was some seriously poor goalkeeping, just watched it back. Amos should do better.
  • Options
    The only player I'll comment on this afternoon is Amos

And thats purely because the amount of people who've said he's as good as Dillon and we wont miss him

Could I be put in touch with their dealer please?

Might just be a slow start but he's regressed from that loan season
    Yes, he seems to have regressed badly since his loan spell. I was surprised that he didn't play much for Millwall, but less so now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One positive - Washington. Thought he worked hard and got into some good positions. 
    All the best to Aneke, hope he's better soon. 
  • Options

And thats purely because the amount of people who've said he's as good as Dillon and we wont miss him

Yes, he seems to have regressed badly since his loan spell. I was surprised that he didn't play much for Millwall, but less so now
    He was rank at millwall 
  • Options
    Honestly wondered if that was the case

Hope he’s the only one!! 
  • Options

FA commenting negatively about a player?! Well I never 😉
  • Options
    Can we please play our best goal keeper from now on?
  • Options

Can't say I'm surprised, people were saying let Phillips go as we've a quality replacement in Amos etc etc. I said then, how can you say that when the guy hadn't played a competitive game for almost 2 seasons ?
  • Options
    Blimey

Maybe that explains why he was so unfit on Tuesday. I assume the rest of the squad were tested and found negative
    Apparently EFL clubs aren't regularly testing now, and West Ham paid to have our squad tested before Tuesday's game, but you'd hope that having had a positive test in the squad everyone's getting tested now.
    Let's just hope the EFL have got access to faster turnaround tests than the general public.
  • Options
    The defence has been discussed enough. We are missing the type of player that just controls the midfield in the way Cullen and occasionally Field did for last season, also the no nonsense midfielder, who is having to play in central defence. JFC seemed to have to play both roles and didnt do it particularly well. The best I saw him play in the past couple of years was when he filled in as left wing back for a couple of games. Never tried after the injury for some reason.

It was odd in that we seemed to have no width either. Very disjointed and out of shape midfield today.

We're going to see a lot of days like this unless we can acquire some new players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At the back we were appalling. That's what lost us the game. Up to the goal we were pretty much in control and on another day we could have been two up. And then we fell apart. I'm not too sure how good a coaching day Bowyer had. JFC should have been subbed after about 60 minutes (Oztumer to come on?). Gilbey was under utilised the 2nd half. Williams was ineffective when he came on. Maybe it's not fair to criticise Bowyer but we just looked off. And Amos is no Dillon.
    Let's hope TS is the real deal, can get this over the line and give Bows the support he needs.    
  • Options
    A most un like charlton performance.All goals were errors,Pratley gave away the first,Unfortunate own goal,and the last was the worst of the lot,their player went past Purrington as if he did not exist while Doughty stood 2 yards away rooted to the spot,atrocious.Unless we get a settled experienced defence ,we are in serious trouble.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Blimey

Apparently EFL clubs aren't regularly testing now, and West Ham paid to have our squad tested before Tuesday's game, but you'd hope that having had a positive test in the squad everyone's getting tested now.
    Let's just hope the EFL have got access to faster turnaround tests than the general public.
    I imagine that unless our players tested negative before today's match, they wouldn't have been allowed to play. It wouldn't be fair on the Doncaster players (or referee) otherwise
  • Options
    Regarding Amos, it's one game let's not overreact. We may have to sell Phillips just to get another defender in if nothing changes with TS. 
  • Options
    That was disappointing to be sure but nowhere as bad as many making out.

Doncaster are a good team who could well be challenging for a top 6 spot this year. Despite that we were on top when they scored - and we really should have been in front as Bonne had missed a sitter. In the second half, again at 2-0 down we were on top, gave away another sucker goal (shame for Purrington as I thought otherwise he had a decent game) and then finished strongly.

Yes we desperately need players in, particularly defenders. But whilst this team on today's performance isn't going to mount a promotion push, there is more than enough talent here to ensure we don't struggle - always assuming the likes of Doughty and Bonne aren't sold off before the transfer window closes.
  • Options
    Talal said:

FA commenting negatively about a player?! Well I never 😉
    I dont think Amos is a bad Goalkeeper but for people to have said he's as good as Dillon etc.

Just WOW!!
  • Options
    I think he is never short on effort but if someone came in with an offer of 750k for Bonne I would let him go. I know LB says we bought him as a project but as our main striker he misses too many chances. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I think he is never short on effort but if someone came in with an offer of 750k for Bonne I would let him go. I know LB says we bought him as a project but as our main striker he misses too many chances. 
    So you want to play the rest of the season with only Washington and Davison (plus 45 minutes per game with Aneke)?