Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton v Doncaster | Saturday 19th September 2020.

Comments

• Options
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Bows not very pleased with his keeper today, is he?

“Sloppy passing to midfield [for the first goal]. We know we have to take care in there because that’s what happens, it leads to goals. I’ve not seen it back because [club analyst] Brett isn’t around so I cant see anything back but my first initial thought was it didn’t look the best of strikes.

Ben [Amos], the goalie, says he couldn’t see it. Too many bodies in the way and he didn’t see it. I’d have to look back but I didn’t think it was a very good strike that should beat your goalie from that distance."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-fears-complacency-may-have-set-in-after-doncaster-defeat/
    Maybe he can explain why Phillips wasn’t involved today then? 
    Thought he already had. 
    Solely not signing a new contract?
    Believe so. Given that he's not even making the bench I'd be surprised if he comes back into the team. 
    Why is he being singled out, aren’t there other players that have less than a year left? Levitt is making the bench and he has less than a year with us and belongs to another team. If you add into it that you would have to be out of your mind to commit to Charlton currently Bowyer’s stance on this defies belief and will cost us points IMO. I know that Bowyer is beyond criticism but this is really odd. 
  • Options
    PWR.....(but will catch up later)

Not at the game nor did I watch it online so no comment at all about performances etc..

One thing that is puzzling me. Although we are under a transfer embargo why weren't wd allowed to replace the players that left in the close season. The embargo came in back in January so surely we should be able to replace like for like (numbers wise) to the same size squad we had then ( and this should exclude "kids"). Ie, we lost 10 players so we should be able to replace these 10 players  & not make up the numbers with kids. Happy even not to spend any money but just to be able to sign free & loans.

Currently we are in a much worse situation than we were in January when the embargo came in.......how is that anyway fair. Fine.....stop us buying anyone if we can't prove source of funds but we should be allowed to replace leaving players.....even paying them less than the ones that left. 

Situation is bonkers.
  • Options
    Let’s just hope Donny turn out to be one of the best teams in the league. It’s going to be a long season otherwise. Men against boys today. 
  • Options
    Glad I spent my £10 on going to watch Cray Wanderers
  • Options
    In many ways todays result is the culmination of a very bad period of weeks, months and maybe years for our club.
    There is a small part of me that thinks that putting an end to Charlton would be better than this death by a thousand cuts.
    We don't appear to be able to escape the downward spiral that ESI one/two, a couple of high court judges and the EFL currently are responsible for.
    Plenty of straw clutching and hopes of T.S. rescuing us from this nightmare, look to be our only hope of salvation.    
    Elliott gets to have a say in the lawyers in November!
    This has the makings of a bad ending if Sandgaard does not get a deal done. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

“Sloppy passing to midfield [for the first goal]. We know we have to take care in there because that’s what happens, it leads to goals. I’ve not seen it back because [club analyst] Brett isn’t around so I cant see anything back but my first initial thought was it didn’t look the best of strikes.

Ben [Amos], the goalie, says he couldn’t see it. Too many bodies in the way and he didn’t see it. I’d have to look back but I didn’t think it was a very good strike that should beat your goalie from that distance."

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-fears-complacency-may-have-set-in-after-doncaster-defeat/
    Thought he already had. 
    Believe so. Given that he's not even making the bench I'd be surprised if he comes back into the team. 
    Why is he being singled out, aren’t there other players that have less than a year left? Levitt is making the bench and he has less than a year with us and belongs to another team. If you add into it that you would have to be out of your mind to commit to Charlton currently Bowyer’s stance on this defies belief and will cost us points IMO. I know that Bowyer is beyond criticism but this is really odd. 
    I guess because he and his agent have said he's not signing a new deal which others haven't. 
    Maybe Bowyer doesn't see Phillips staying in this window so would rather Amos gets up to speed early 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    Even more good news 

palarse 2nd in Prem
    scum 6th in Championship
    Charlton Athletic 11th in League One 

There's more chance of them both finishing in the bottom half and us in top half of respective leagues at end of season though, in my opinion. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even more good news 

palarse 2nd in Prem
    scum 6th in Championship

There's more chance of them both finishing in the bottom half and us in top half of respective leagues at end of season though, in my opinion. 
    I wish I had your confidence.
  • Options
    That was poor. Mid table is the best we can hope for under any version of ESI, and given they're all crooks and chancers mid-table would be an over achievement. 

Washington looked good. Defence made too many mistakes. Midfield too lightweight. And why hoof it up when probably every team in the division will have taller, more physical centre backs than our forwards? (especially as Aneke not playing). 

Glad I only paid a tenner for that but it was still 9.99 too much
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Even more good news 

palarse 2nd in Prem
    scum 6th in Championship

I wish I had your confidence.
    I've got to find something to hope for, everything else is falling apart. 
  • Options
    Sorry Fortune 82nd minute i don’t know how to quote

8 was over the top I meant 7

In my opinion Bow wouldn’t have played the following if he could

Amos
    Barker
    Oshijilaja
    Purrington
    Morgan
    JFC
    Washington

Great that CW has scored 2 in 2 but I’m convinced they would have another striker lined up alongside Bonne

Its irrelevant we are shit without a decent owner 

Those are all quality league one players. What are you on about
  • Options
    A week to forget, no more complicated and regardless of his wealth and new found passion, actually felt for the man dead keen on acquiring us today. Long flight, a constant need to communicate and one utter dog sh*t performance to have to go through. Lee and team, you ordinarily do your best and I will stick with you thick and thin, but when your prospective new boss comes along, it is usually a good day to put on a bit of a show and the ingredients were still available to you to do that. Too many hid throughout the game and I did not think that was us... Hopefully we will put that right at Lincoln, regardless of what they might be doing at the moment.
  • Options
    A week to forget, no more complicated and regardless of his wealth and new found passion, actually felt for the man dead keen on acquiring us today. Long flight, a constant need to communicate and one utter dog sh*t performance to have to go through. Lee and team, you ordinarily do your best and I will stick with you thick and thin, but when your prospective new boss comes along, it is usually a good day to put on a bit of a show and the ingredients were still available to you to do that. Too many hid throughout the game and I did not think that was us... Hopefully we will put that right at Lincoln, regardless of what they might be doing at the moment.
    Hopefully TS was jet lagged out of his mind and today’s performance was just a hazy memory that could potentially be fiction. 
  • Options
    Ok a lot of distractions here....Chuks diagnosed with Covid must have been A shocker and all the pal-lava with the takeover. So will give them the benefit of the doubt. However I can see LB walking soon
  • Options
    Even more good news 

palarse 2nd in Prem
    scum 6th in Championship

It's football Armageddon.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Amos
    Barker
    Oshijilaja
    Purrington
    Morgan
    JFC
    Washington

Great that CW has scored 2 in 2 but I’m convinced they would have another striker lined up alongside Bonne

Phillips would play ahead of Amos if he signed a new deal.
    Barker isn't proven yet.
    Oshilaja will be a squad player if Bowyer can sign the players he wants.
    Purrington may be second choice if we bring in a better left back.
    Morgan needs to improve if he's going to start regularly.
    JFC is tidy on the ball but rarely stands out.
    Two goals in two games is a good start by Washington.

It was only a few weeks ago Bowyer wanted 10 signings (link below). If TS takes over I doubt many of them will play regularly and that might even be true of Bonne.

How many would have got into the 11/12 or 18/19 League 1 promotion winning sides? Purrington did and Washington would be ahead of Parker but not Grant. I don't think any of the others would.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-we-still-need-to-make-ten-signings-to-compete-in-league-one-this-season/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even more good news 

palarse 2nd in Prem
    scum 6th in Championship

U ok hun? 
    What no kiss on the end?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    I think he is never short on effort but if someone came in with an offer of 750k for Bonne I would let him go. I know LB says we bought him as a project but as our main striker he misses too many chances. 
    So you want to play the rest of the season with only Washington and Davison (plus 45 minutes per game with Aneke)?
    We will be able to bring players in before the windows closes imo. All I'm saying is he isnt a striker at the moment that you can have any confidence that he will score if he gets a sniff. As I said 100% effort no doubt but I would rather replace him with an older goal scorer in our situation as it stand
    I only listened to the commentary, so need to see the chances on video, but how many clear chances do you think he missed today? It didn't come across like that on the radio. 
    He didnt have any chances when you take into account both his headers were offside

Both should have been on target though and should have been better if he was coming from an onside position
    Sorry mate, but he had two free headers from 5 yards out and fluffed them.
    He didn' t know he was offside until after he had ballsed them up
    The point is though that it didn't make any difference to the outcome of the game

Yes he should have done better, indeed so should have Pratley with his header, but strikers do miss chances. 
    Sorry guys, but quit farting around.
    It was absolutely piss poor finishing and needs to be called out
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Prately's 'mistake' for the first goal seemed to be an interception to cutout a through ball, rather than a misplaced pass. They are 2 very different things. 
    He misplaced a pass before the interception. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Talal said:
    se9addick said:
    Oggy Red said:

Thought he already had. 
    I guess because he and his agent have said he's not signing a new deal which others haven't. 
    Maybe Bowyer doesn't see Phillips staying in this window so would rather Amos gets up to speed early 🤷‍♂️

That's been my assumption since it was announced that Amos was first choice pre-season. Even if Dillon wasn't refusing to sign a new deal, it was also going to be likely that he was going to leave before the close of the window, so this gives Amos a chance to develop a working relationship with our makeshift defence. Otherwise we have a few weeks with Dillon, who probably becomes increasingly unsettled by approaches from Championship clubs and then gets sold to pay the wages before the end of the month, and then have to start all over again with Amos. I don't like it, but I can understand it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Croydon said:

Amos
    Barker
    Oshijilaja
    Purrington
    Morgan
    JFC
    Washington

Phillips would play ahead of Amos if he signed a new deal.
    Barker isn't proven yet.
    Oshilaja will be a squad player if Bowyer can sign the players he wants.
    Purrington may be second choice if we bring in a better left back.
    Morgan needs to improve if he's going to start regularly.
    JFC is tidy on the ball but rarely stands out.
    Two goals in two games is a good start by Washington.

It was only a few weeks ago Bowyer wanted 10 signings (link below). If TS takes over I doubt many of them will play regularly and that might even be true of Bonne.

How many would have got into the 11/12 or 18/19 League 1 promotion winning sides? Purrington did and Washington would be ahead of Parker but not Grant. I don't think any of the others would.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-we-still-need-to-make-ten-signings-to-compete-in-league-one-this-season/
    Pratley and Williams were significant contributors to the 18/19 promotion. Doughty and Bonne would have improved that squad. Haven't seen enough of Gilbey, but possibly him too. 

There is a core of a decent third division team there, but not not a promotion winning squad.

If something doesn't change in the next two weeks or so, then that is at least another year of Charlton Athletic's history wasted.

• Options
    I think warm are in this for long haul !: (