Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton set to sign Adam Matthews (again) - SIGNED

Comments

• Options
    fantastic news
  • Options
    This would just be rude, frankly.
  • Options
    Marquee signing! Gunter's got his work cut out just to be as good for us as Matthews was last season, at a lower level of football.

Can Gunter deputise at right centre back if needed?
  • Options
    Blimey, did not expect this when we signed Gunter.  Very strong defence now and great back up across the 4.  Welcome back Adam.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The fact is that Gunter is that, as good as Gunter is, at 31 and with over 600 appearances for club and country, he has a lot of miles on the clock and we do need a viable alternative to him. Last season he only actually played 21 games and in Matthews we have someone who will not weaken the side should Gunter need to be rested or is injured. Unlike our current options who are either inexperienced or having to play out of position.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    👍🏼👏🏽👍🏼👏🏽👍🏼👏🏽
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It’s just gets better and better. Hopefully, at 28, Matthew’s is the long term option (despite only a 1 year contract, likely to be related to the salary cap this year) and can learn even more from playing with Gunter week in week out. Now just a striker or 1-0 wins every game until Jan. 
  • Options
    An excellent alternative to Gunter

I do get the feeling though that for some reason other clubs don't rate Matthews as much as we do, for some reason. He was a free agent when we signed him a year ago, and has been unattached for several months now, and hasn't been linked with any other clubs either. Yes we tick several boxes for him, but I'm surprised that he's still available, especially after we signed Gunter instead of him 3 weeks ago
  • Options
    What a great signing! I can see definitely see Gunter, Inniss, and Famewo in a back three with Matthews and Maatsen/Doughty as wing backs. And as others have said, just provides real strength in depth for the inevitable injuries, suspensions and fatigue. I'm guessing there is a serious bonus for promotion in the contract and Matthews can see there's a reasonable chance of achieving that now.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    gives us greater flexibility to play with wing backs now.............. Gunter in a 3 at the back Matthews right Maatsen/Doughty left

• Options
    Nice.
  • Options
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BalladMan said:
    It’s just gets better and better. Hopefully, at 28, Matthew’s is the long term option (despite only a 1 year contract, likely to be related to the salary cap this year) and can learn even more from playing with Gunter week in week out. Now just a striker or 1-0 wins every game until Jan. 
    We won 2-0 on Saturday! 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Can either gunter or Matthew's play anywhere else.
    With Doughty out and Maddison still not up to speed, Matthew's could also try going straight into that role 
  • Options
    Good news but wonder if Matthews is thinking about changing his agent who no doubt told him he could get him a Championship team on 5 times his money at Charlton. That was good advice. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Why not top 2. Are other teams so much better than we are ?
  • Options
    The irony is that he was a Welsh international but hasn't played for a couple of years and the very person that has been a fixture in his position is the one that he will now be understudy to with us.
  • Options
    Moo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Why not top 2. Are other teams so much better than we are ?
    Offensively yes. 
  • Options
    Great signing. Genuinely surprised that he didn't get a gig in the championship but their loss is our gain. I wonder if he's got a favourable (to him) release clause as part of his contract.
  • Options
    The fact is that Gunter is that, as good as Gunter is, at 31 and with over 600 appearances for club and country, he has a lot of miles on the clock and we do need a viable alternative to him. Last season he only actually played 21 games and in Matthews we have someone who will not weaken the side should Gunter need to be rested or is injured. Unlike our current options who are either inexperienced or having to play out of position.
    Gunter only played 21 games last season because the manager didnt play him. He wasn't injured or unfit & played for Wales during that time.