Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton set to sign Adam Matthews (again) - SIGNED

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    Great cover at right back. Excellent signing. Hopefully he is still motivated after failing to be signed elsewhere. 

LB told you it wasn't going to be a striker. 

If you don't believe me, believe Red Henry that Bowyer would love to bring in another striker and they continue to monitor the situation. The inability of Aneke to play on a regular basis is the headache for Lee and Steve.
    Matthews is a class above League 1 when fit and up to speed. 
     Lee Bowyer likes to rotate;  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunter on occasions play in a 3 with Innes and Famewo with Matthews and Maatsen/Doughty as wing backs.

3-5-2 so we can create more chances from wide positions. 

Choices and options, unlike much of last season.
    The fact we won 2-0 it has been overlooked, but that miss from Smyth at 1-0 from the corner was a really bad miss. 6 yards from goal and did not even test the keeper. I hope Bowyer is still looking at striking options as i yet to be convinced with the four we have up top.
    It was a bad miss from Smyth ...... but there he was in the right position, at the right time.

His movement and anticipation seems to be good, with the likelihood of being in goalscoring positions regularly.
    He'll take some of those chances. The law of averages will see to that.

Totally agree. It is hard for the current strike force as they are trying to replace the likes of Taylor & Grant is probably an impossible task on the budget we operate on.
  • Options
    What a nicely balanced squad we have. The cap will prevent us signing a good striker this season in my opinion, and if that's the case, what do you do.....you strengthen the rest of the squad as much as possible.

Moving Phillips on deadline day has made this possible rather than having him sitting there as 3rd choice, chewing up wages. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think we're concerned that Famewo could be recalled by Norwich in January. 
    That’ll be a concern but nothing to do with Matthews signing. If Famewo goes we’d aim to bring in a left sided centre back.
    Gunter can play centre back. 
  • Options
    Excellent signing, I'd love us to sign a striker but am willing to wait until the January window. As long as we're close to the play offs at that time then it shouldn't be an issue to put a run together and finish the season strongly.
  • Options
    Excellent signing, I'd love us to sign a striker but am willing to wait until the January window. As long as we're close to the play offs at that time then it shouldn't be an issue to put a run together and finish the season strongly.
    Well, we would assume the budget now is all used up under the wage cap.

But nothing to stop us signing a striker as a free agent (under 21 on 1st Jan 2020), if the right player should be available.

• Options
    As I posted earlier I’m convinced a striker is going to arrive in January. Is absolutely certain that we need one. Within the constraints I would imagine we’ll need to shift a couple to free up space and wages. Doughty and another to go perhaps ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I posted earlier I’m convinced a striker is going to arrive in January. Is absolutely certain that we need one. Within the constraints I would imagine we’ll need to shift a couple to free up space and wages. Doughty and another to go perhaps ? 
    Doughty doesn't count towards the wage cap does he?

I don't think we would want to off load anyone who does, more than the league average, as they will have only just signed. 
  • Options
    We’ve now, apart from the 20 goal striker, which we may not need, a very very strong L1 squad. 
  • Options
    IF we can get a decent striker in on loan in January, I wonder if we might sacrifice one of our other loan signings (e.g. Levitt) or even convert one to a perm (e.g. Shinnie) to free up a loan space in the 18
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Although we are 3 games behind the rest of the league in terms of togetherness, anything lower than 6th will be a disaster! 

Anything lower than 6th and Lee bowyer will have some explaining to do and is likely to see a very different side of  TS
    That's a bit strong. Is this already a better team than two years ago? The obvious, and rather crucial place where it is not is up front, where we started with both Taylor and Grant. Then in midfield we are looking for players of the calibre of Bielik and Aribo. We do have Doughty, the rest will need to step up, and maybe they will, a lot depends on Maddison doing so IMO. Pratley was also crucial that season and was two years younger..

Unquestionably the defence looks stronger, provided we dont lose Famewo in Jan.(and we will be in a stronger position to avoid the Gallagher fiasco).

But otherwise I hope and trust that Thomas has a bit more patience and perspective than your post implies.

Over all I think we are in a much better position than 7 games in last time round. 
    More or less ..... although back then we had Grant and Taylor on fire, scoring goals for fun. Just imagine ........ 

• Options
    Excellent signing, who will give huge strength in depth and flexibility of formation, with Gunter moving inside. Genuinely amazed that he was not picked up by a Championship club, I liked Lockyer well enough, but the fact that he got a move and Matthews did not, is certainly a surprise to me. Still - their missing out is very much to our advantage!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    An excellent alternative to Gunter

I do get the feeling though that for some reason other clubs don't rate Matthews as much as we do, for some reason. He was a free agent when we signed him a year ago, and has been unattached for several months now, and hasn't been linked with any other clubs either. Yes we tick several boxes for him, but I'm surprised that he's still available, especially after we signed Gunter instead of him 3 weeks ago
    Strange isn't it, not knocking him but he can only be here because nobody else wanted him or maybe he's settled in the area & was hoping for something nearby so he didn't have to move. Great to have that back up in the squad but strange  he's signed for a club where our new starting RB is the player who was keeping him out of the Welsh team. Can he play as a striker ?  :)
  • Options
    ‘’ set to sign’’ not have signed. Think we are getting ahead of ourselves. 
    WIOTOS
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    Great cover at right back. Excellent signing. Hopefully he is still motivated after failing to be signed elsewhere. 

LB told you it wasn't going to be a striker. 

If you don't believe me, believe Red Henry that Bowyer would love to bring in another striker and they continue to monitor the situation. The inability of Aneke to play on a regular basis is the headache for Lee and Steve.
    Matthews is a class above League 1 when fit and up to speed. 
     Lee Bowyer likes to rotate;  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunter on occasions play in a 3 with Innes and Famewo with Matthews and Maatsen/Doughty as wing backs.

3-5-2 so we can create more chances from wide positions. 

Choices and options, unlike much of last season.
    The fact we won 2-0 it has been overlooked, but that miss from Smyth at 1-0 from the corner was a really bad miss. 6 yards from goal and did not even test the keeper. I hope Bowyer is still looking at striking options as i yet to be convinced with the four we have up top.
    It was a bad miss from Smyth ...... but there he was in the right position, at the right time.

His movement and anticipation seems to be good, with the likelihood of being in goalscoring positions regularly.
    He'll take some of those chances. The law of averages will see to that.

A bit like Macauley Bonne but the majority slated him (despite being our top scorer)
  • Options
    Four players?

How bloody much was Oztumer on then to free up so much of the budget? : - )
  • Options
    ICYMI from the summer transfer rumours (!) thread

LB "ain't gonna be a striker, we're not looking there"
    Gap in the squad at the mo is cover right side defender - Is Matthews still unattached?  Might mean him swallowing a little humble pie but if we have a vacancy and he ain't got another job - 2bags a week, even if it's short term, is a whole lot better than trying to train in the park and twiddling one's thumbs til January at least.
    Keen as I always am to blow my own trumpet 
    Told You So - Told You So

ner ner na ner ner
    ner ner na ner ner

etc

😎🤪🤡🧐🤩😛
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    When you now look at our squad ( apart from a striker ) you would be very hard pressed to find a better team in this league. It really has been a remarkable turnaround in such a short time. The recruitment has been nothing short of fantastic. Not a chance we dont make the top 6 and personally I would be really suprised if we didnt win the league
    I agree but Hull look very strong  and have Wilks and Big Josh (a decent player at this level).

Winning the league? Maybe not.  Top six definitely bar a mega injury crisis like last year.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Four players?

If you look at the date of that tweet is was from last month when the takeover was just about to happen & the embargo lifted.

As you would say.......WIOTOS.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I think we're concerned that Famewo could be recalled by Norwich in January. 
    That’ll be a concern but nothing to do with Matthews signing. If Famewo goes we’d aim to bring in a left sided centre back.
    Gunter can play centre back. 
    He may do occasionally, Bowyer talked about him playing as part of a back three. I don’t believe he has ever regularly played there during his career, he’s always mainly been a right back.

If we play four at the back Gunter at CB is unlikely to be more than a short term option due to injuries and suspensions. I don’t see a three at the back being a regular formation either, unless it turns out to be a much better option than anything else - unlikely with the options we have now on the wings.

If Famewo goes I’m certain we’d look to replace him with a new signing rather than move a right back across - we know Bowyer likes a squad with two players per position, and he also likes to have two right footed CBs and two left footed CBs.
  • Options
    Four players?

WIOTOS eh ;)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Although we are 3 games behind the rest of the league in terms of togetherness, anything lower than 6th will be a disaster! 

Anything lower than 6th and Lee bowyer will have some explaining to do and is likely to see a very different side of  TS
    That's a bit strong. Is this already a better team than two years ago? The obvious, and rather crucial place where it is not is up front, where we started with both Taylor and Grant. Then in midfield we are looking for players of the calibre of Bielik and Aribo. We do have Doughty, the rest will need to step up, and maybe they will, a lot depends on Maddison doing so IMO. Pratley was also crucial that season and was two years younger..

Unquestionably the defence looks stronger, provided we dont lose Famewo in Jan.(and we will be in a stronger position to avoid the Gallagher fiasco).

But otherwise I hope and trust that Thomas has a bit more patience and perspective than your post implies.

Over all I think we are in a much better position than 7 games in last time round. 
    More or less ..... although back then we had Grant and Taylor on fire, scoring goals for fun. Just imagine ........ 

Did we though?

I am just looking back through the stats for that season and it doesn't relate to much to my memory of it!  When I cast an eye back I think of the 13 or 14 players that played in the 3 play off games.  As I am sure most people do.

I am shocked to find that not only did Lapslie play 30 odd (I read that the other day) but Reeves, Marshall, Fosu and Ajose played nearly 100 games between them. 

Also that we used 5 striker that season, and bare in mind we played 2 in almost every game they still only scored 39 goals between them, including penalties. 

So our 1st 7 games this season are 4 wins, 2 defeats and a draw.  Then it was 3 wins 2 defeats and 2 draws.  We had also only kept 1 clean sheet, like now we had failed to score twice.   This season we score 5 goals in our 1st 6 games, that season we scored 6.

I think like a lot of successful seasons the dross is quickly brushed over.  If we go up in May no one will remember the turgid football away from home 6 a months ago.  Like no one mentioned the 1 all with Accrington as they left Wembley. 

Anyway back on, something like, topic, we have a much better squad now.  Even if we aren't playing champagne football yet. If we ever did. 

• Options
    Four players?

If you look at the date of that tweet is was from last month when the takeover was just about to happen & the embargo lifted.

As you would say.......WIOTOS.
    My bad as Greenie would say.