Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton set to sign Adam Matthews (again) - SIGNED

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Although we are 3 games behind the rest of the league in terms of togetherness, anything lower than 6th will be a disaster! 

Anything lower than 6th and Lee bowyer will have some explaining to do and is likely to see a very different side of  TS
  • Options
    Moo said:
    Redrobo said:
    Moo said:
    Bowyer has learnt so much since we where last in league 1. We now have strength and depth in every position. I expect us to challenge for top 2 with the squad we have. 
    Top six will be a fantastic achievement.
    Why not top 2. Are other teams so much better than we are ?
    Offensively yes. 
    Peterborough, yes, Portsmouth, yes, Sunderland?
  • Options
    Brilliant signing really impressed watching Matthews last season obviously not seen Gunter play for us yet but great strength in depth well done and thank you Thomas Lee and Steve 
  • Options
    Surprising .. the good point is that we could have two quality Welsh right backs, the down point ? .. although you can't have too many good players, two vying for one position in L1 is a bit of a waste, UNLESS Bowyer sees Gunter as a midfielder/central defender. We could do with another striker more than another defender, even a one of Matthews' quality
  • Options
    I hope we haven't just signed him as cover because Doughty's injury is serious.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we can be certain that in January a striker will be incoming. Only god and Gallen will know how to get that striker in within the constraints but it’s inconceivable that Sandgaard won’t want to press home every advantage to get us promoted. 
  • Options
    I think we're concerned that Famewo could be recalled by Norwich in January. 
    I'm sure we're planning for that eventuality.
  • Options
    I think we're concerned that Famewo could be recalled by Norwich in January. 
    They'll get Naby Sarr back on loan. :wink:

• Options
    He has been very consistent in a good way for us.
    Very pleased with this.
  • Options
    In him and Smyth, we'd have 2 players able to bomb in a long throw - it'll be like the blitz! Although, from what we've seen so far: Matthews' long throws are much better
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not even inside Bowyers head. If we can afford it within the rules a marvellous signing.
    I wondered why he was ever a free agent previously.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Great cover at right back. Excellent signing. Hopefully he is still motivated after failing to be signed elsewhere. 

LB told you it wasn't going to be a striker. 

If you don't believe me, believe Red Henry that Bowyer would love to bring in another striker and they continue to monitor the situation. The inability of Aneke to play on a regular basis is the headache for Lee and Steve.
    Matthews is a class above League 1 when fit and up to speed. 
     Lee Bowyer likes to rotate;  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunter on occasions play in a 3 with Innes and Famewo with Matthews and Maatsen/Doughty as wing backs.

3-5-2 so we can create more chances from wide positions. 

Choices and options, unlike much of last season.
  • Options
    And, of course, training with us until a couple of weeks ago, Matthews already knows most of the squad - and what Bowyer expects and how his teams play.

He'll slot in again seamlessly. A really good signing. Very pleased.

• Options
    If a player of Matthews's proven quality and experience is available within the budget then it's virtually obligatory to resign him.

Gives us cover and a bit more flexibility with formations, he knows a lot of the team already and knows what LB expects.

Only question I have now is why Bowyer seems to have taken a different approach to Matthews and Phillips. Both good players who (justifiably) believed it worth trying to get a Championship move, but one welcomed back and one was bombed out. Just seems a bit odd on the face of it.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    If a player of Matthews's proven quality and experience is available within the budget then it's virtually obligatory to resign him.

Gives us cover and a bit more flexibility with formations, he knows a lot of the team already and knows what LB expects.

Only question I have now is why Bowyer seems to have taken a different approach to Matthews and Phillips. Both good players who (justifiably) believed it worth trying to get a Championship move, but one welcomed back and one was bombed out. Just seems a bit odd on the face of it.
    Different situations. Phillips and his agent clearly stated they want to move, whereas I imagine Matthews said that he would sign for us if he couldn't get his move. Which I think is fair enough, seeing as he is Champ quality
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Chunes said:
    Great cover at right back. Excellent signing. Hopefully he is still motivated after failing to be signed elsewhere. 

LB told you it wasn't going to be a striker. 

If you don't believe me, believe Red Henry that Bowyer would love to bring in another striker and they continue to monitor the situation. The inability of Aneke to play on a regular basis is the headache for Lee and Steve.
    Matthews is a class above League 1 when fit and up to speed. 
     Lee Bowyer likes to rotate;  I wouldn't be surprised to see Gunter on occasions play in a 3 with Innes and Famewo with Matthews and Maatsen/Doughty as wing backs.

3-5-2 so we can create more chances from wide positions. 

Choices and options, unlike much of last season.
    The fact we won 2-0 it has been overlooked, but that miss from Smyth at 1-0 from the corner was a really bad miss. 6 yards from goal and did not even test the keeper. I hope Bowyer is still looking at striking options as i yet to be convinced with the four we have up top.
  • Options
    Great to get Matthews back in again, de ja vu     :)
    Will slot in as if he never left, which is what it is
    i suppose.
    Be good to utilize as a right sider playing in front
    of Gunter, or in his usual role RB, so very good to
    have the cover and variation in selection, welcome 
    back, again ;)