Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    mendonca said:
    *Latest Charlton fans' funny observation*

We are underwhelmed by Watson so far, as can be seen by the match thread, comments and marks, yet include him in the list of players we will sorely miss in our next game against the almighty Portsmouth!

Just to note - this free scoring, invincible Portsmouth are one point above us, while having played a game more. 

Having the Ipswich game postponed has helped us, as we've begun to gel and they have dropped off a little. That surely must be a clever plan by Gallen (hence our 3 Welsh players) to give breathing space over the course of season, or purely accidental/coincidental?

A lot of people are saying he played well or are giving him a free pass, ignoring quite how much he spent the whole game hiding. I'm excited to see Levitt given another chance to correct his overplaying errors vs Sunderland, hopefully this time not in gale-force winds. (If I'm not allowed to make up my mind about Watson, you're not allowed to about Levitt) 
    You do speak some utter piffle at times. I think Watson has been awful so far but the last thing you could accuse him of is hiding. His whole game is the complete opposite of hiding. 
    Agree - one thing he never does is hide. Even on a yellow, he will still play his usual game. 
  • Options
    v Oxford: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Northampton: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Blackpool: 1 goal from 1 shot on target
    v Wigan: 1 goal from 5 shots on target
    v Sunderland: 0 goals from 0 shots on target

Although it should be impossible to be negative after 4 wins and 5 clean sheets, this luck can't continue. And bear in mind that the 4 wins (with minimal chances created) were against the teams 23rd, 20th, 19th, and 18th in the table.
    And let's face it, we were bloody lucky not to concede against Sunderland.

When we signed Bogle and Smyth as strikers, everyone looked at their goal scoring records and were worried. Well they've both got 4 appearances to their name now and 0 goals. They don't naturally get into goal scoring positions, and Smyth just isn't a striker, so not sure why he was classified or signed as one.
    We are hanging our hats on Chuks, but he can't complete 90 mins and is injured half the time.
    Our best winger is now out for a couple of months or so.

Our attack is absolutely torrid. We shouldn't let 4 wins against relegation fodder disguise that fact. I see troubles ahead, unless Maddison makes a huge impact.
    very valid post in my opinion. our lack of goals could cost us dearly this season.
  • Options
    Any footage of the incident in Oxford box right at the start of the second half? Referee gave a free kick against Smyth in the end. Looked liked a penalty to me when watching it live.
    I've not seen a replay of that, but as we didn't protest at the time, I assume Smyth must have done something
  • Options
    https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/18826521.oxford-united-lose-ten-man-charlton-athletic/

Oxford fans not happy...

Awful. Not an awful performance, we actually played pretty well at times especially in the first half. But how many times can we say we played well but get beaten yet again. Also, what on earth has happened to Simon Eastwood? If he had stood still for the second goal it would have hit him! He was also flapping all over the place at times. When Charlton went down to 10 men it made no difference at all. The Charlton keeper could have had his slippers on smoking a cigar to be honest. We had plenty of possession and zero threat. I also feared that Charlton could score every time they had a shot. Things need to change very quickly before the season is cut short again as I fear it might be. Don't want to be in the bottom 4 if that does happen!
    As much as I dislike Robinson who do Oxford think they can get that'll be better than him?

They always start slow with him in charge but do climb the table - With League One so tight I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen again
  • Options
    v Oxford: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Northampton: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Blackpool: 1 goal from 1 shot on target
    v Wigan: 1 goal from 5 shots on target
    v Sunderland: 0 goals from 0 shots on target

Although it should be impossible to be negative after 4 wins and 5 clean sheets, this luck can't continue. And bear in mind that the 4 wins (with minimal chances created) were against the teams 23rd, 20th, 19th, and 18th in the table.
    And let's face it, we were bloody lucky not to concede against Sunderland.

When we signed Bogle and Smyth as strikers, everyone looked at their goal scoring records and were worried. Well they've both got 4 appearances to their name now and 0 goals. They don't naturally get into goal scoring positions, and Smyth just isn't a striker, so not sure why he was classified or signed as one.
    We are hanging our hats on Chuks, but he can't complete 90 mins and is injured half the time.
    Our best winger is now out for a couple of months or so.

Our attack is absolutely torrid. We shouldn't let 4 wins against relegation fodder disguise that fact. I see troubles ahead, unless Maddison makes a huge impact.
    very valid post in my opinion. our lack of goals could cost us dearly this season.
    There is always January. We need to keep ourselves nicely placed until then. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pettgra said:
    The last time I looked at the league table was just before we went on this run. I have no intention of looking at it until we succumb to someone; which I hope will not be anytime soon!
    Have a sneaky peek,.. you may be impressed  ;)
    Thats a tease. I will try and resist it!
  • Options
    Fantastic result and with average luck both in game and with injuries we should achieve a top six finish. 
    Absolutely amazing for a team that cost £75k. 
  • Options
    Oxford reminded me of us in the 2nd half of last season, plenty of effort but unable to take their chances of which they did have a few. One reason why our defence is so sound is that the oppositions can't shoot straight, let's hope that Pompey are similarly afflicted.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Watching the end of the replay of the Innis sending off, none of the Charlton players protested, which suggests that they thought it was a second yellow as well
    Or ...

The Charlton players sussed out that the ref was such a twonk that he'd start booking all of them for dissent and then start sending them off as well.

This ref truly was the bastard love-child of Stroud and Kettle, and adopted by Linnington.

Even with the numerical disadvantage (us a player sent off plus them having the ref) we didn't look troubled, Oxford wouldn't have broken through our back five if they'd carried on playing for another couple of weeks.

Shinnie was my MotM but there were good shifts from Smyth, Prats, and, of course, the defensive unit.

It's a shame that Inniss won't be available for Saturday so Lord Bowyer will have to re-shuffle his pack but with the belief in this squad at the moment I don't think it'll bother them.
    Really ? I've only seen the highlights but just on them Oxford had a few decent chances, fortunately they weren't good enough to take advantage. I think it could be a different matter at Pompey, just hope we can outscore them.
  • Options
    Good result, but more players out for the next game.  No idea what our defence is going to look like on Saturday.  Hopefully Purrington comes back in at left back and Maatsen plays in front of him in midfield.  The lad looks mustard going forward, but defensively he was shown up quite badly on a few occasions.
  • Options
    People question how "natural" and "clinical" our strikers are but let me just point out that we have had a total of 5 shots on target in our last 3 games - and scored 5 goals!

What was that about lies and statistics?
  • Options
    I think Washington is getting a bit too much credit for his finish, wasn't terrible but keeper should have saved it. Movement was fantastic mind. 
  • Options
    The best goal so far this season was the pin point cross from Alfie Doughty which found Sowerby who lost his markers and finished with aplomb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Amos: little to do but reassuring at all times
    Gunter: a quality signing booking was soft as shite
    Inniss: not quite his imperious best first booking was a bit harsh to go full blooded again so shortly after was playing into the hands of the risible martinet with the whistle
    Famewo: splendid almost entirely faultless composure way beyond his years
    Maatsen: excellent and probably should have scored
    Pratley:  the fulcrum around which the whole team functions hope he stays fit
    Watson:  does the ugly stuff excellently
    Shinnie: couple of glimpses of class elevated him above the scrappy ropey midfield battle
    Washington: worked so hard and had the quality when it mattered
    Bogle: worked himself to a literal standstill but very little came off for him not sure his first touch is all that, when it did run for him he was tripped up or pulled back
    Smyth: worked hard with little service, his much vaunted pace not yet in evidence
    Referee: appalling match ruining show pony with not one iota of understanding of the game beyond a platform for his own ego - first quarter of game didn't get a single decision right,  he and his "assistants" repeatedly guessed on throw ins and corners 
    pratted about insisting that free kicks deep in the defensive 3rd were taken from precisely the right place - wasting time and achieving nothing - slightest hint the ball was rolling - take it again - wasting time and achieving nothing - booked Gunter and Inniss for split second mistimed tackles on halfway but let a blatant trip and a blatant pull on Bogle on the edge of the area both go without cards - got the whole advantage thing from free kicks entirely wrong throughout the match for both sides - waved play on when the fouled side were losing possession and pulled them back when the advantage was clear but never to book anyone for anything serious - the one time he let Charlton get on with the game after yet another cynical tug on halfway he then failed to return to the offender and issue the most obvious yellow card in the whole game, with the result that Gorrin got to stay on the field when a 2nd yellow was due - Gobbo to his credit subbed him off shortly after thereby swerving being a man short.  Bellyaching about Craig Hicks's game ruining shitshow is ultimately futile cos the better side still won the game, the result wasn't changed - tho we ought to have won by a wide margin.  The standard of football in League one is poor but thus far this season has been drastically undercut by the standard of the officials.
    But other than that the ref had a good game?
  • Options
    According to expected goals we should have lost last night. Of course it's only actual goals that count, but it does show how we've been able to nick victories without playing well offensively. It's notable that neither of our goals registered very highly as "expected goals".

Reading did ever better on that front. Confident forwards putting away half/quarter chances I imagine

• Options
    I think Washington is getting a bit too much credit for his finish, wasn't terrible but keeper should have saved it. Movement was fantastic mind. 
    Agree that the finish was great, and Washington's position was
    good, but why say that the keeper should have saved it, the
    finish was deliberate and skillful, and timed such that the
    keeper didn't have time to react, plus the fact that there were
    defenders around, so let's just give him some credit and not
    so much of the we was fortunate stuff eh ;)
  • Options
    According to expected goals we should have lost last night. Of course it's only actual goals that count, but it does show how we've been able to nick victories without playing well offensively. It's notable that neither of our goals registered very highly as "expected goals".

Reading did ever better on that front. Confident forwards putting away half/quarter chances I imagine

From where Washington shot, you would expect someone to score more than half of the time wouldn't you? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

From where Washington shot, you would expect someone to score more than half of the time wouldn't you? 
    No idea who creates these stats, but it's interesting that it considers that our best chance was actually early in the second half which was Maatsen's shot from the corner
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

No idea who creates these stats, but it's interesting that it considers that our best chance was actually early in the second half which was Maatsen's shot from the corner
    According to that it only gave Washington a 1 in 5 chance of scoring.  Bit strange if you ask me. 

To avoid multiple posts.  Re Mr Melrose's post Peterborough might have 2 better strikers than us, and I still think it's a might, the other 9 aren't as good! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

A one-on-one conversion rate for top level strikers is actually around a third. 
  • Options
    Rob62 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

A one-on-one conversion rate for top level strikers is actually around a third. 
    Fair enough but 1 in 5........