Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I’ve not watched any of the games so can’t comment on how we are playing. I can see the stats that show we’ve won 4 on the bounce, not conceding in 5 consecutive games and that’s an indication that there is a ‘team’ lurking within the squad. From replayed clips, the goals have tended to have been well taken, especially last nights. That first one wasn’t easy, particularly given he had to position himself so he could kick it with his right foot - those chances often end up going to the left of the goal; and I don’t get the criticism of the oxford goalkeeper for the second. Every time I look at the replay it looks like there is a sudden last minute pick up in speed and twist in the ball. That was a fcking great shot. 
  • Options
    One thought on Smyth, whose goal scoring credentials are being written off - Leko didn’t have much of a record for getting goals and took a while to get his first, but with some good coaching he got better in this area and was well on his way to decent total for the season by the time he got injured. 

On Bogle - the question you have to ask about strikers is are they getting chances? Bogle not so much yet but I think his runs and movement have been decent and he is taking up good positions, the ball just hasn’t fallen for him yet. He likely would’ve scored at Blackpool if he hadn’t been dragged down. It’ll come. 
  • Options
    Watching the end of the replay of the Innis sending off, none of the Charlton players protested, which suggests that they thought it was a second yellow as well
    Or ...

The Charlton players sussed out that the ref was such a twonk that he'd start booking all of them for dissent and then start sending them off as well.

This ref truly was the bastard love-child of Stroud and Kettle, and adopted by Linnington.

Even with the numerical disadvantage (us a player sent off plus them having the ref) we didn't look troubled, Oxford wouldn't have broken through our back five if they'd carried on playing for another couple of weeks.

Shinnie was my MotM but there were good shifts from Smyth, Prats, and, of course, the defensive unit.

It's a shame that Inniss won't be available for Saturday so Lord Bowyer will have to re-shuffle his pack but with the belief in this squad at the moment I don't think it'll bother them.
    Really ? I've only seen the highlights but just on them Oxford had a few decent chances, fortunately they weren't good enough to take advantage. I think it could be a different matter at Pompey, just hope we can outscore them.
    let's hope they don't score more than one then ....
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Smyth reminds me of John Robinson at times - seems a proper Charlton player 

It's fair to praise Smyth but to mention his name in the same sentence as the great Johnny Robinson just feels very very wrong.

If there were such a thing as a 'Charlton snack' you would go without for a week.
    He reminds me of a lesser version of Johnny Robinson as well.
    Let's hope he improves to match Johnny.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just rewatched the red card.

Bloody ridiculous that it was even given as a foul, even more ridiculous was their number 9 curled up in a ball almost convulsing in pain... Yet he got up and played on. Dirty cheat played the ref there.
    Sadly Dazz this is creeping more and more into the English game. I watched the hi-lights show on Quest at the weekend and saw several players going down as if they had been shot however the ref ignored them and they were up and chasing back within seconds.

Lot more players going down with the slightest of touches in the box as well looking for pens, used to be a problem in Italian football however we are very close behind them now. 
    Johnny Williams?
  • Options
    One thought on Smyth, whose goal scoring credentials are being written off - Leko didn’t have much of a record for getting goals and took a while to get his first, but with some good coaching he got better in this area and was well on his way to decent total for the season by the time he got injured. 

On Bogle - the question you have to ask about strikers is are they getting chances? Bogle not so much yet but I think his runs and movement have been decent and he is taking up good positions, the ball just hasn’t fallen for him yet. He likely would’ve scored at Blackpool if he hadn’t been dragged down. It’ll come. 
    Bogle’s run yesterday was also the reason Washington found himself in so much space for his goal.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    The best goal so far this season was the pin point cross from Alfie Doughty which found Sowerby who lost his markers and finished with aplomb.
    Is there any other area of life where things are done with aplomb?

• Options
    The best goal so far this season was the pin point cross from Alfie Doughty which found Sowerby who lost his markers and finished with aplomb.
    Is there any other area of life where things are done with aplomb?

I first heard this word when a chap with a speech impediment was doing stock taking in the Woolwich Arsenal. 
  • Options
    I think Washington is getting a bit too much credit for his finish, wasn't terrible but keeper should have saved it. Movement was fantastic mind. 
    Agree that the finish was great, and Washington's position was
    good, but why say that the keeper should have saved it, the
    finish was deliberate and skillful, and timed such that the
    keeper didn't have time to react, plus the fact that there were
    defenders around, so let's just give him some credit and not
    so much of the we was fortunate stuff eh ;)
    Just my opinion, I've seen it 3/4 times and I still think the keeper should have saved it. Not taking anything away from Washington, in fact I've clearly praised his movement. Just stating what I believe, opinion eh ;)
  • Options
    Well done CAFC four strights wins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Washington is getting a bit too much credit for his finish, wasn't terrible but keeper should have saved it. Movement was fantastic mind. 
    Just my opinion, I've seen it 3/4 times and I still think the keeper should have saved it. Not taking anything away from Washington, in fact I've clearly praised his movement. Just stating what I believe, opinion eh ;)
    Putting it through the goalkeepers legs is a standard finish because it is almost impossible for a goalkeeper to save. What is it about this finish that makes you think the keeper should have saved it.
    The second goal is a cracking finish. The goal keeper starts a movement to his right, which is understandable. If he does not do this it would have been an easy save.
  • Options
    As I've said the Portsmouth game on Saturday will really tell us where we are - we've beaten teams this season who are currently 15th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 23rd and who have lost 27 games already between them. Marquis and Harness have scored 7 goals between them in the last 3 games and will be a handful.

The real acid test will be should we go a goal behind and whether we have the capability to turn things around from that position as we are used to defending leads from a position of strength. If we can do that then we can probably do anything in this League.
    This.

I might bang on about our lack of a strike force but the main worry is that we've not come back from going behind to win since Boxing Day. I think its now around 15 games that once we concede we can't pull it around. In those games I think we might have lost them all as well (although we might have pulled 1 or 2 back to draw).
  • Options
    Are Gobinsons after match comments available here on CL?  I have lost the will to live..
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Putting it through the goalkeepers legs is a standard finish because it is almost impossible for a goalkeeper to save. What is it about this finish that makes you think the keeper should have saved it.
    The second goal is a cracking finish. The goal keeper starts a movement to his right, which is understandable. If he does not do this it would have been an easy save.
    I can definitely see the difference of opinion on the first, but the second, jesus you're surely on a wind up. 
  • Options
    We’re certainly getting the breaks at the moment. 

Aside from Flappy McFlapperty in their goal, not seen a single comment about our opener being offside...

• Options
    edited October 2020
    What I admire about the first goal is the first touch of Shinnie was sublime and gives him the edge on his marker, he then gives a diagonal pass with his second touch to match the diagonal run of Washington who knew what to do to stay on side.

I/we have been demanding shots on target,
    I Don't care if the keeper could do better.

• Options
    Replying to
    Boys are on fire great to see
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options

Aside from Flappy McFlapperty in their goal, not seen a single comment about our opener being offside...

Thought live he was offside actually but I think he looks clearly on from that photo 
    How??? He’s about two foot offside. Fortunately the Lino is well behind play and looking at the line of players, not the actual line
  • Options

Thought live he was offside actually but I think he looks clearly on from that photo 
    How??? He’s about two foot offside. Fortunately the Lino is well behind play and looking at the line of players, not the actual line
    You reckon? Looks like the middle defender playing him onto me. I don't agree about the linesman either, think his positioning is pretty spot on. 
  • Options
    Lol, funny how we all see things differently! I think you’ve both been chewing special mushrooms for lunch if you think that is onside but perhaps I’m seeing it wrong. 

People would be screaming blue murder if that was allowed against us imo
  • Options
    Lol, funny how we all see things differently! I think you’ve both been chewing special mushrooms for lunch if you think that is onside but perhaps I’m seeing it wrong. 

People would be screaming blue murder if that was allowed against us imo
    As a self confessed fickle fan, I might well be saying it's offside!

Picture isn't conclusive but my gut says onside because of the angle. 
  • Options
    You have to say Wigans keeper was poor and Oxfords somehow even worse