Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    It wasn't a great watch but I felt comfortable, even after the sending off. Sending off was a bit silly, more so the first booking. I do wonder if when the team is relatively safe and key players are on bookings why they are not subbed off. When Inness was sent off Watson was a risk of us going down to nine and some refs might have sent him off for that hand ball even though there was no intent. 

Anyway, another clean sheet. A game against a decent side on Saturday made tougher for the players we have missing.
  • Options
    It wasn't a great watch but I felt comfortable, even after the sending off. Sending off was a bit silly, more so the first booking. I do wonder if when the team is relatively safe and key players are on bookings why they are not subbed off. When Inness was sent off Watson was a risk of us going down to nine and some refs might have sent him off for that hand ball even though there was no intent

Anyway, another clean sheet. A game against a decent side on Saturday made tougher for the players we have missing.
    Really?

• Options
    Chunes said:
    It was an ok post until you said "4 lucky wins" 
    You are right, that's unfair. I meant lucky in terms of shot to goal ratio, but the wins weren't lucky in terms of game control.
    You're right that it's still all a bit early and there are questions over the attack. But I feel like we would've got another one if we'd kept 11 men on the pitch yesterday. We were starting to play some really nice stuff. 

Washington seems like the wildcard upfront for us this season. He makes clever runs in behind and has got three already. 

Bogle? Not looking likely at the moment but he also looks so unfit. At 70 minutes yesterday the ball was running two yards in front of him and he was too knackered to go and get it. I agree that Smyth is more of a creator than a goalscorer. 

I'm confident our attack will improve, it has to. They've only had four games together, they're not fit, we still have four first-11 players out in Maddison, Gilbey, Doughty and Aneke, all attack-minded. It's a work in progress. But the fact is, if our defense continues in this vein, we won't have to score many goals to win games. 
  • Options
    Can see LB starting with the same side on Saturday but with Matthews coming in as Gunter moves to the centre and JFC in for Watson. Still good attacking players on the bench if we fall behind (Maddison, Williams, Aneke).

At last we can absorb injuries and suspensions although we could do without any more defenders going down.
  • Options
    Last night after the first 25 I thought we were being comfortably outplayed and is the first time in the new era I’ve had a few doubts that we won’t stroll in to the play offs with a chance of getting the top two 
  • Options
    Defence is the best we’ve had in years - the rest I’m not totally convinced by yet but as has been said, let’s judge it when all are available - no complaints here, just happy the club and team are going in the right direction 
  • Options
    v Oxford: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Northampton: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Blackpool: 1 goal from 1 shot on target
    v Wigan: 1 goal from 5 shots on target
    v Sunderland: 0 goals from 0 shots on target

Although it should be impossible to be negative after 4 wins and 5 clean sheets, this luck can't continue. And bear in mind that the 4 wins (with minimal chances created) were against the teams 23rd, 20th, 19th, and 18th in the table.
    And let's face it, we were bloody lucky not to concede against Sunderland.

When we signed Bogle and Smyth as strikers, everyone looked at their goal scoring records and were worried. Well they've both got 4 appearances to their name now and 0 goals. They don't naturally get into goal scoring positions, and Smyth just isn't a striker, so not sure why he was classified or signed as one.
    We are hanging our hats on Chuks, but he can't complete 90 mins and is injured half the time.
    Our best winger is now out for a couple of months or so.

Our attack is absolutely torrid. We shouldn't let 4 wins against relegation fodder disguise that fact. I see troubles ahead, unless Maddison makes a huge impact.
    What I wrote only better.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It was an ok post until you said "4 lucky wins" 
    You are right, that's unfair. I meant lucky in terms of shot to goal ratio, but the wins weren't lucky in terms of game control.
    Have you seen Readings record by any chance? Look where they are!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    v Oxford: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Northampton: 2 goals from 2 shots on target
    v Blackpool: 1 goal from 1 shot on target
    v Wigan: 1 goal from 5 shots on target
    v Sunderland: 0 goals from 0 shots on target

Although it should be impossible to be negative after 4 wins and 5 clean sheets, this luck can't continue. And bear in mind that the 4 wins (with minimal chances created) were against the teams 23rd, 20th, 19th, and 18th in the table.
    And let's face it, we were bloody lucky not to concede against Sunderland.

When we signed Bogle and Smyth as strikers, everyone looked at their goal scoring records and were worried. Well they've both got 4 appearances to their name now and 0 goals. They don't naturally get into goal scoring positions, and Smyth just isn't a striker, so not sure why he was classified or signed as one.
    We are hanging our hats on Chuks, but he can't complete 90 mins and is injured half the time.
    Our best winger is now out for a couple of months or so.

Our attack is absolutely torrid. We shouldn't let 4 wins against relegation fodder disguise that fact. I see troubles ahead, unless Maddison makes a huge impact.
    What I wrote only better.
    Bet you couldn’t wait for us to go under Golfie and Balham...so you would have an excuse to support Liverpool instead! 
  • Options
    Last night after the first 25 I thought we were being comfortably outplayed and is the first time in the new era I’ve had a few doubts that we won’t stroll in to the play offs with a chance of getting the top two 
    That's not what you % post said.
  • Options
    Can see LB starting with the same side on Saturday but with Matthews coming in as Gunter moves to the centre and JFC in for Watson. Still good attacking players on the bench if we fall behind (Maddison, Williams, Aneke).

At last we can absorb injuries and suspensions although we could do without any more defenders going down.
    Can see him playing 352 :

Amos

Gunter, Pratley, Famewo

Matthews, JFC, Shinnie, Levitt/ Williams, Maatsen

Smyth, Bogle/ Washington
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    can’t argue with 4 in a row and 5 clean sheets. 

Sounds like we Oxford were a tad unlucky though in first half 
    Oxford reminded me of the Duracell Bunny. Ran around as quickly as possible and kept chucking crosses into the box in the hope someone would get on the end of one. They’re not a bad side but they came up against a back five who stood firm
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    MrOneLung said:
    can’t argue with 4 in a row and 5 clean sheets. 

Sounds like we Oxford were a tad unlucky though in first half 
    Oxford reminded me of the Duracell Bunny. Ran around as quickly as possible and kept chucking crosses into the box in the hope someone would get on the end of one. They’re not a bad side but they came up against a back five who stood firm
    Accurate.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Can see him playing 352 :

Amos

Gunter, Pratley, Famewo

Matthews, JFC, Shinnie, Levitt/ Williams, Maatsen

Smyth, Bogle/ Washington
    Levitt as holding midfielder for sure. I hope it's the making of him 
  • Options
    Bowyers full press conference is now available on Valley Pass & for Valley Pass subscribers and those that purchased the Oxford game.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f989cd2b276d/bowyer-on-oxford-win-i-think-they-should-be-proud-of-that-because-i-am-proud-of-them
  • Options
    Defensively we are very sound. Losing Inniss and Watson for Saturday is a big blow.

Shinnie is such a shrewd signing. Him and Famewo were a cut above. 

Another clean sheet, a win and a couple of goals - what’s not to like?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Loving every day of the TS era. Even happier that my two recent 2-0 predictions came off. I won’t chance it for the Portsmouth game - I just hope we remain their bogey team.

Wish we were luckier with injuries. Perhaps the SL Infirmary needs to have an extension or the whole 3rd floor added back and given over to injury rehab. 
  • Options
    Solid and very unexciting. Very few chances created again and a member of the opposition obliges again by conceding a soft goal.

Thought Famewo and Maatsen were really outstanding. Very shrewd recruitment again. Shinnie was very good and our only creative outlet. The rest of our midfield and attack is very pedestrian.

Too soon to write anyone off but what is wrong with Watson? Looks like someone's Dad is playing for us at the moment.

Portsmouth will be a much sterner test. Shame about Mad Frankie Innis.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Second booking for Inniss was harsh but his style makes him vulnerable to referees noticing him. Nice strike by Shinnie for second goal but the GK really needs to ask himself some serious questions about not at least getting a hand on it. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    *Latest Charlton fans' funny observation*

We are underwhelmed by Watson so far, as can be seen by the match thread, comments and marks, yet include him in the list of players we will sorely miss in our next game against the almighty Portsmouth!

Just to note - this free scoring, invincible Portsmouth are one point above us, while having played a game more. 

Having the Ipswich game postponed has helped us, as we've begun to gel and they have dropped off a little. That surely must be a clever plan by Gallen (hence our 3 Welsh players) to give breathing space over the course of season, or purely accidental/coincidental?

A lot of people are saying he played well or are giving him a free pass, ignoring quite how much he spent the whole game hiding. I'm excited to see Levitt given another chance to correct his overplaying errors vs Sunderland, hopefully this time not in gale-force winds. (If I'm not allowed to make up my mind about Watson, you're not allowed to about Levitt) 
  • Options
    A new team hastily put together as transfer deadline loomed, build from the back (think we are doing that), midfield will take time to get as will our forwards, whilst that’s happening we are keeping clean sheets (that’s a total team effort) and winning games. What’s not to like, not far short of 4 points per 2 games, once this team really gels a top 2 finish is a reality. 

Of course sport is fall of ups and downs but confident we have a squad and team spirit to challenge for a top 2 slot.  Come January might be interesting if loan players are recalled and Doughty moved on if not signed a contract but TS has cash so replacements could be found. Feeling more optimistic than I was 2 seasons ago in League 1 as bar Taylor the squad (Overall) in my opinion is better & similar to the squad Powell put together in terms of character and fight. 
  • Options
    I’m pinning my attacking hopes on Maddison, Gilbey & Shinnie assisting/scoring for Chucks & Washington......Also transfer window in January do who knows what else we will do!