Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Portsmouth have won 6 of their last 7 in all competitions and scored 18 goals in that time. That will be a real test and a draw would be a great result especially as we will be missing Inniss
    Do these stats include tonights 4-0 win?
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    When is the last time CAFC have gone this long without allowing a goal? Anyone know?
    Second World War
    There was the 9 game run without conceding a goal leading up to Wembley 1998.

• Options
    And now Robinson's up. He does not look chuffed.
  • Options
    @FishCostaFortune said:

Any Watson doubters - look how we controlled that game when we went down to 10. I imagine he was a major contributing factor to that - it's almost like we got better when we had 10.
    On the other hand he was pretty invisible in the first half, and could have easily got another yellow. He played well when we went down to 10 men, but then so did everyone else in the field, and they contributed more elsewhere during the game
    It's a fair enough point, but I would argue its not Watson's job to contribute elsewhere on the pitch. Its his job to be the shield in front of the defence breaking up play, by making tackles and interceptions and then distribute the ball to a player like Shinnie or Smyth who can then link up the attack. 

And whatever you think of him, he clearly does that very well - as well as adds something even more important and what Bows wants - leadership and experience. 
    But he wasn't doing that shielding job very well in the 1st half, Oxford carved us open several times
    Sure, so if you apply that logic that they carved us open several times I suppose that also means that Famewo, Innis and the rest of the defence are also not very good as well?
  • Options
    Oxford United had pace, energy, man-to-man marking, professional fouls but no real quality. Our experience and superior quality told, particularly in the taking of the couple of real chances we had, and, in riding out the last 25 minutes.

It's early days but I'd say we look a good bet for promotion.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    • Matthews Gunter Famewo Maatsen
    • Williams  Forster-Caskey  Shinnie
    • Smyth  Aneke  Washington
    To start maybe, not too bad, Pratley rested, 
    You going to send Amos up for corners as well? 
  • Options
    Great result.

Shame about all the yellow cards.
  • Options
    Fantastic result that.

Saturdays game will be a real test, especially without Innis against Marquis, but we’ve put ourselves in a great position. After Saturday we have a nice run of games.
  • Options
    Portsmouth have won 6 of their last 7 in all competitions and scored 18 goals in that time. That will be a real test and a draw would be a great result especially as we will be missing Inniss
    They hint played against a defensive unit like ours though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    Yeah dont see a rested Pratley for this one...

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Pratley | Famewo | Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey | Shinnie
    Aneke
    Smyth | Washington

Is how I'd go
    Bows always favoured 5 at the back against the 'stronger teams' in the Championship.

So I will wouldn't be shocked to see

Amos
            Gunter Famewo Purrington
    Matthews                               Maatsen
                 Pratley Williams JFC
                      Smyth Aneke
    I thought about having those three at the back, neither Gunter and Purrington are the tallest though which would concern me about going that way

Of course nothing to say that it wont simply be Charlie Barker who comes back into the team
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy win really.  Will be interesting to see how we go vs Pompey with Watson and Innis missing.  Gunter in the middle with Matthews RB I guess.  Shinnie looks a great signing.
    Barker in the middle
    Think I would start Barker leave the rest of defence unchanged and leave Pratley in the middle.
    I've given up trying to predict LB though
  • Options
    Another solid performance though the suspensions are frustrating. 

Pompey beat Northampton 4-0 tonight so we "could" be looking at a 2-0 defeat.

But I'm going for a sequence- building 
    0-0, 1-0, 1-0, 2-0, 2-0.....2-0 to the mighty Addicks. 

We'll see.
  • Options
    Been out all evening and only just got in... anywhere I can see the highlights? Seen the goals on Instagram, but want to see the Innis sending off. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    They hint played against a defensive unit like ours though.
    Put three past Sunderland on the weekend who had the best defensive record in the League

What does give me hope is the fact that Bowyer does seem to know how to beat a Kenny Jackett side
  • Options
    Did you know if you leave Valley Pass on they keep repeating the highlights?

And occasionally you get an interview with the managers as well later on.
    Yep, and I think it was the Blackpool game that had our commentary overlaid with theirs while the highlights were playing - it was very surreal.
  • Options
    @FishCostaFortune said:

Any Watson doubters - look how we controlled that game when we went down to 10. I imagine he was a major contributing factor to that - it's almost like we got better when we had 10.
    On the other hand he was pretty invisible in the first half, and could have easily got another yellow. He played well when we went down to 10 men, but then so did everyone else in the field, and they contributed more elsewhere during the game
    It's a fair enough point, but I would argue its not Watson's job to contribute elsewhere on the pitch. Its his job to be the shield in front of the defence breaking up play, by making tackles and interceptions and then distribute the ball to a player like Shinnie or Smyth who can then link up the attack. 

And whatever you think of him, he clearly does that very well - as well as adds something even more important and what Bows wants - leadership and experience. 
    But he wasn't doing that shielding job very well in the 1st half, Oxford carved us open several times
    Sure, so if you apply that logic that they carved us open several times I suppose that also means that Famewo, Innis and the rest of the defence are also not very good as well?
    It's the midfield's job to provide the shield in front of the defence 
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2020
    vff said:
    Another good result. 4 victories in a row and 4 clean sheets. Happy with that. Very happy to see a Karl Robinson team leave the Valley with nothing. 

Oxford pushed up on Charlton and held a high line. This made it difficult for the midfield but left them vulnerable at the back.  Great to see hard working Connor Washington score very cleanly and quickly followed by a terrific Shinnie free kick. It was maybe a little harsh on Oxford, who pushed forward but this Charlton defence is excellent.  

Usual Watson yellow by a card happy to Charlton referee followed by an unnecessary sending off from Inniss. Farmewo excellent at the back. Charlton were a lot better in the first half of the second half. After Inniss was sent off, Charlton weathered a couple of attacks but the defence stood firm.

I was non plussed by the Pennington for Bogle subsitution but he combined well with a very good Maatsen, who maybe should have gone for goal for himself. 

Up to 6th. Excellent run. Still lots to come from this team, if / when everyone is back fit. Onwards and upwards.
    Pennington?

Another new signing!

Deary me, I thought I was the only Person with fat finger predictive text!
    Recovering from a double root canal and am full of pain killers / antibiotic. More brain fog than fat finger predictive text unfortunatley 
  • Options
    Doncaster lose to Plymouth, Sunderland draw 2-2 at Rochdale.

Doncaster have now lost 2 in a row after looking really good. Sunderland had built their success on keeping clean sheets, and grinding out 1-0 and 2-0 wins, but have now let in 3 against Pompey and 2 against Rochdale.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy win really.  Will be interesting to see how we go vs Pompey with Watson and Innis missing.  Gunter in the middle with Matthews RB I guess.  Shinnie looks a great signing.
    Barker in the middle
    Think I would start Barker leave the rest of defence unchanged and leave Pratley in the middle.
    Barker isn't the "next cab on the rank" though is he?  He only played, as well as he did play, because he wasn't a pro.

There are at least 2 u23 center backs in front of him.  But I wouldn't expect either of them to play either, maybe one on the bench? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vff said:
    vff said:
    Another good result. 4 victories in a row and 4 clean sheets. Happy with that. Very happy to see a Karl Robinson team leave the Valley with nothing. 

Oxford pushed up on Charlton and held a high line. This made it difficult for the midfield but left them vulnerable at the back.  Great to see hard working Connor Washington score very cleanly and quickly followed by a terrific Shinnie free kick. It was maybe a little harsh on Oxford, who pushed forward but this Charlton defence is excellent.  

Usual Watson yellow by a card happy to Charlton referee followed by an unnecessary sending off from Inniss. Farmewo excellent at the back. Charlton were a lot better in the first half of the second half. After Inniss was sent off, Charlton weathered a couple of attacks but the defence stood firm.

I was non plussed by the Pennington for Bogle subsitution but he combined well with a very good Maatsen, who maybe should have gone for goal for himself. 

Up to 6th. Excellent run. Still lots to come from this team, if / when everyone is back fit. Onwards and upwards.
    Pennington?

Another new signing!

Deary me, I thought I was the only Person with fat finger predictive text!
    Recovering from a double root canal and am full of pain killers / antibiotic. More brain fog than fat finger predictive text unfortunatley. 
    Blinking eck, not nice, sorry to hear that, hope you make a swift recovery.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    And now Robinson's up. He does not look chuffed.
    Lord, I'd forgotten how much he can talk. 
  • Options
    Do these stats include tonights 4-0 win?
    Yes
  • Options
    Yes our wins are part of the reason they're down there, but it's worth noting that Wigan, Blackpool, Northampton and Oxford are all in the bottom 7, before we get carried away about winning 4 in a row and 5 clean sheets.

We've shown we can efficiently dispatch the strugglers, but Pompey will be a much sterner test
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    Yeah dont see a rested Pratley for this one...

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Pratley | Famewo | Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey | Shinnie
    Aneke
    Smyth | Washington

Is how I'd go
    Bows always favoured 5 at the back against the 'stronger teams' in the Championship.

So I will wouldn't be shocked to see

Amos
            Gunter Famewo Purrington
    Matthews                               Maatsen
                 Pratley Williams JFC
                      Smyth Aneke
    No Washington?
  • Options
    Been out all evening and only just got in... anywhere I can see the highlights? Seen the goals on Instagram, but want to see the Innis sending off. 
    That wasn’t one of the highlights...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Barker in the middle
    Barker isn't the "next cab on the rank" though is he?  He only played, as well as he did play, because he wasn't a pro.

There are at least 2 u23 center backs in front of him.  But I wouldn't expect either of them to play either, maybe one on the bench? 
    Barker has a slight advantage over Vega and Mingi though; Bowyer knows he's "solid" enough for League One Football