Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Solid performance and a good result. Not sure which is worse; the refs or the audio quality from Valley Pass.
  • Deserved win , although Oxford started well . Couldn't see us conceding even after the sending off  . Shinnnie is beginning to shine and Smyth looked decent on the right of midfield  . 
  • It’s good to have a solid defence but now I’m waiting to watch us play some decent entertaining football. Fogle’s hold up,play was non existent and I’m looking forward to see Chucks show him how it’s done. 
  • A hard fought win. 

A weird 1st half in that we weren't very good, but scored 2 good goals, one after a nice bit of play, the other from a good shot that their keeper should have saved. Indeed the biggest difference between the teams was Amos vs Eastwood, Eastwood really struggled tonight while Amos was dominant

I don't like Pratley and Watson together in midfield, and would have much preferred to have one on the bench and someone more progressive in midfield. By all means bring the other one off the bench when you need to tighten things up (e.g. after the sending off), but you don't need to start with both. Now, with Watson suspended and Pratley likely to be in defence, we will have neither in midfield vs Pompey.

We actually played better in the second half, Inniss was perhaps a bit unlucky to be sent off BUT his first booking was stupid and the second one fell into the "often given but the referee usually gives you the benefit of the doubt if you're on 

Smyth looks more suited as a winger than as a striker 
  • Very proud.  
    Disappointed at the big man for 2 pointless yellows. 

Well done to the regiment- I wish I was there. 
  • Highlights are playing on the stream at the moment (no commentary at the moment :) )
  • JaShea99 said:
    Terrible decision for Inniss, so whats the chance of Pierce
    being back in time for Saturday? :/
    Pierce??
    Ear, nose, eye brow? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great solid passionate performance.
    i think Inniss did not deserve 1st yellow 
    but we dug in and showed the character of a strong
    winning team, and as always suffered the poor judgment of an average referee.
    Top result and Portsmouth next 👍👍
  • Watching the end of the replay of the Innis sending off, none of the Charlton players protested, which suggests that they thought it was a second yellow as well
  • Solid but dull.

Great three points.

• Solidgone said:
    It’s good to have a solid defence but now I’m waiting to watch us play some decent entertaining football. Fogle’s hold up,play was non existent and I’m looking forward to see Chucks show him how it’s done. 
    Fogle ?

Certainly was non existent!
    I thought Fogle presented himself well tonight
  • JaShea99 said:
    Terrible decision for Inniss, so whats the chance of Pierce
    being back in time for Saturday? :/
    Pierce??
    007 Brosnan. Licence to kill from the back.
  • Leuth said:
    I was just holding forth about Watson, only to have my post snatched from beneath me!

He was rubbish. Our measure of control in the second half had nothing to do with him and everything to do with the shifts our Northern Irish lads put in, allied to a good showing from Pratley and a masterclass from Shinnie. I can't believe the 7s and 7.5s he's getting in Player Marks. He managed about one good forward pass all game and should have been sent off!
    Have to agree. Pratley and Shinnie controlled the game after the sending off.
    Hes not rubbish, but I haven't been that impressed with Watson yet. Maybe if I watch a game back for a 2nd time I might watch him more closely. I usually do watch a game back but haven't done it yet this season...think i will rewatch tonights game.
    Sometimes it help you appreciate stuff you might have missed and can change your opinion on a player.
    So far for me he looks bang average though and I'm not as bothered about missing him for the next game,than I am about missing Innis.
  • Sponsored links:

• vff said:
    Another good result. 4 victories in a row and 4 clean sheets. Happy with that. Very happy to see a Karl Robinson team leave the Valley with nothing. 

Oxford pushed up on Charlton and held a high line. This made it difficult for the midfield but left them vulnerable at the back.  Great to see hard working Connor Washington score very cleanly and quickly followed by a terrific Shinnie free kick. It was maybe a little harsh on Oxford, who pushed forward but this Charlton defence is excellent.  

Usual Watson yellow by a card happy to Charlton referee followed by an unnecessary sending off from Inniss. Farmewo excellent at the back. Charlton were a lot better in the first half of the second half. After Inniss was sent off, Charlton weathered a couple of attacks but the defence stood firm.

I was non plussed by the Pennington for Bogle subsitution but he combined well with a very good Maatsen, who maybe should have gone for goal for himself. 

Up to 6th. Excellent run. Still lots to come from this team, if / when everyone is back fit. Onwards and upwards.
    Pennington?

Another new signing!

Deary me, I thought I was the only Person with fat finger predictive text!
  • Another solid defensive performance.

Oxford typical Robinson team, pretty at times but no real penetration and wobbly at the back.

Need Aneke back against Pompey in my opinion in place of Boogle who has terrible control.

Most importantly another 3points.
  • @FishCostaFortune said:

Any Watson doubters - look how we controlled that game when we went down to 10. I imagine he was a major contributing factor to that - it's almost like we got better when we had 10.
    On the other hand he was pretty invisible in the first half, and could have easily got another yellow. He played well when we went down to 10 men, but then so did everyone else in the field, and they contributed more elsewhere during the game
  • edited October 2020
    Solid performance and a good result. Not sure which is worse; the refs or the audio quality from Valley Pass.
    At least the audio was only crap twice in that match
  • A hard fought win. 

A weird 1st half in that we weren't very good, but scored 2 good goals, one after a nice bit of play, the other from a good shot that their keeper should have saved. Indeed the biggest difference between the teams was Amos vs Eastwood, Eastwood really struggled tonight while Amos was dominant

I don't like Pratley and Watson together in midfield, and would have much preferred to have one on the bench and someone more progressive in midfield. By all means bring the other one off the bench when you need to tighten things up (e.g. after the sending off), but you don't need to start with both. Now, with Watson suspended and Pratley likely to be in defence, we will have neither in midfield vs Pompey.

We actually played better in the second half, Inniss was perhaps a bit unlucky to be sent off BUT his first booking was stupid and the second one fell into the "often given but the referee usually gives you the benefit of the doubt if you're on 

Smyth looks more suited as a winger than as a striker 
    Yup, been saying that since his first game.

Thought he had a really good game tonight playing in that position.

My MOM though Andrew Shinnie. He's going to be a really important player for us. You can see his experience shining through and he looks far too good for this League. Really surprised Luton let him go.