Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

18910111214»

Comments

• Options
    MattF said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Here's that pic with the lines in the pitch all marked

I think this better shows that the two players are practically in line with one another and the old rules were that you give the benefit of doubt to the attacker.

Thanks Dazzler for proving my point from the other night. The stairs in the stands were the give away and without VAR, a linesman doesn't give offside if players are level. Armpits don't come into the scenario.

Fantastic two touches from Shinnie and super intelligence and awareness from Washington to stay level. 
    Where's the ball?
    In the defenders right ear.

In other words, AFTER the pass has been made. Apart from the angle being off (and the lack of funky pitch markings to give a line) we need an earlier freeze frame
    -

They're pretty much in line with one another. Rule is advantage goes with the attacker, unless you have VAR at your disposal. 

Due to how vanishing points work as things get further away from your pov they look closer to the centre of your point of view, therefore this angle will always look worse if the last defender is towards the top of your screen. 
    Wonder if our player isn't slightly obstructing the view of the linesman there
    I assume it's Smyth, so not as much as if Inniss was on the right wing  :D
  • Options
    On a different subject, I thought our pitch looked a bit tired, which is disappointing so near the start of the season. I imagine ESI spent the bare minimum on it during the summer
  • Options
    On a different subject, I thought our pitch looked a bit tired, which is disappointing so near the start of the season. I imagine ESI spent the bare minimum on it during the summer
    Yeah, absolute nothing 
  • Options
    What i find very strange with all this was he offside
    was he onside stuff, and the related photos taken from
    every angle available, apart from the one up Washington,s
    arse is, why all these feelings of having to justify a perfectly
    good goal well executed, we have enough of that to contend
    with from the opposition usually.
    We won, we won well, and we won 2-0 nuff said ;)
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why do you start a new line about 8 words before you need to?
    Sorry too, didn't realise there was a problem with how i layout a post, will try harder next time  :):)
    Phew, it's been playing havoc with my OCD :-)
  • Options
    What i find very strange with all this was he offside
    was he onside stuff, and the related photos taken from
    every angle available, apart from the one up Washington,s
    arse is, why all these feelings of having to justify a perfectly
    good goal well executed, we have enough of that to contend
    with from the opposition usually.
    We won, we won well, and we won 2-0 nuff said ;)
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why do you start a new line about 8 words before you need to?
    Sorry too, didn't realise there was a problem with how i layout a post, will try harder next time  :):)
    Phew, it's been playing havoc with my OCD :-)
    What it is to be popular :D
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Here's that pic with the lines in the pitch all marked

I think this better shows that the two players are practically in line with one another and the old rules were that you give the benefit of doubt to the attacker.

Thanks Dazzler for proving my point from the other night. The stairs in the stands were the give away and without VAR, a linesman doesn't give offside if players are level. Armpits don't come into the scenario.

Fantastic two touches from Shinnie and super intelligence and awareness from Washington to stay level. 
    But also the ball is around 2-3 feet away from Shinnie at the point this screenshot is taken.  It does not prove the point either way (other than likely that Washington was less advanced as he needs to run forward, so more likely not to be offside)
  • Options
    Not to be a downer on this great result, but we hardly played oxford off the park. 40% possession and 5 shots compared to Oxford's 15 says to me we eventually will regress back to not scoring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not to be a downer on this great result, but we hardly played oxford off the park. 40% possession and 5 shots compared to Oxford's 15 says to me we eventually will regress back to not scoring. 
    Palace (spit) are in the top half of the PL on the back of about 30% possession per game
  • Options
    Interesting that our next two league opponents are just below us in the form table.

Why are Peterborough above us in that table ?? We have the same goal difference & alphabetically we come before them. Anyone know.....?  (I can guess & most of you wont like the answer I expect). 
    Goals scored is ranked higher than alphabet 
    So the number of goals scored ARE more important than goals conceded.

Thank you. I'm vindicated. 
  • Options
    Interesting that our next two league opponents are just below us in the form table.

Why are Peterborough above us in that table ?? We have the same goal difference & alphabetically we come before them. Anyone know.....?  (I can guess & most of you wont like the answer I expect). 

Tell that to Peterborough last season... 
  • Options
    edited October 2020

https://youtu.be/uq-v1TTUyhM
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Not many promoted teams win promotion by playing teams off the park every week. Robinson teams usually have a lot of possession.

Remember in 11/12 opposition fans were often saying “Charlton aren’t that good”. We didn’t dominate games every week, but we consistently got results and were difficult to score against.
  • Options
    Whilst that is true, what we did have was the knowledge we would score. We have scored two in our last two matches and probably are expecting to score in matches when we were not a few games ago.
  • Options
    All this offside talk...to be fair....the game was on Tuesday & we won. 

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Palace (spit) are in the top half of the PL on the back of about 30% possession per game

A Palace geek aquaintence who works in the Gambling industry had a spread sheet 2 years ago which showed that Palace won several games when having 30% to 35% possession and lost games when having 55 % to 60% of possession. 
    If you are a counter attacking team your strength should be hitting the teams on the break but conceding possession.
    Even before Roy Hodgson, Palace played this way(In the Premier)

One of the Charlton games recently the stats showed we had 65% of the possession after 40 minutes yet we hadn't had a shot on target.

The most important stats are how many goals you score and how many clean sheets can you keep.

Bizarrely, despite the low number of shots on target this season for cafc, most have resulted in goals helped by some problematical goal keeping.

• Options
    Smyth reminds me of John Robinson at times - seems a proper Charlton player 

It's fair to praise Smyth but to mention his name in the same sentence as the great Johnny Robinson just feels very very wrong.

If there were such a thing as a 'Charlton snack' you would go without for a week.
    I walked into a pub in Brighton before Christmas, JR was at the bar, we had a good chat, top bloke
  • Options
    When's Gilbey back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About three weeks before he is back in training I think 
  • Options
    About three weeks before he is back in training I think 
    Yeah Bowyer confirmed that timescale in his latest press conference
  • Options
    Blimey, how long can a post match thread go on for
    this must be a record ;)
    Onto Saturday and Portsmouth which i feel we will
    nick by the odd goal 
  • Options
    Blimey, how long can a post match thread go on for
    this must be a record ;)
    Onto Saturday and Portsmouth which i feel we will
    nick by the odd goal 
    We normally do. 
  • Options
    Didn't Leicester win a Premiership title on the back of sitting deep, soaking up pressure, and scoring on the counter? 
  • Options
    Didn't Leicester win a Premiership title on the back of sitting deep, soaking up pressure, and scoring on the counter? 
    Slight difference.

They had Jamie Vardy up front....!!!!!!!