Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    2 defenders are playing him on there
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    We’re certainly getting the breaks at the moment. 

Aside from Flappy McFlapperty in their goal, not seen a single comment about our opener being offside...

Thought live he was offside actually but I think he looks clearly on from that photo 

Agree.
    If you look at the steps in the stand you can tell the angle is wrong to judge an off side.
    The Charlton player right in front of the Assistant ref helped as well, just in case.
    Bogle would've just run straight( I'm hopefull he will sharpen up soon) where Washington made a clever sideways run.
  • Options
    There was no protest from the Oxford players or Robbo after the match about the Washington goal, so they presumably thought it was onside.
  • Options
    On side that for me. Lino was directly in line with the play, and they didn't seem to complain about the decision and nor has Robinson (as far as I am aware). 
  • Options
    Literally four references to his mistakes, 'moments', and having a bad game... but no, I don't want to single him out  :D
  • Options
    On side that for me. Lino was directly in line with the play, and they didn't seem to complain about the decision and nor has Robinson (as far as I am aware). 
    I didn't even really question if it was offside at that time, to me it looks like it in that pic - definitely not another full back playing him on or anything?
  • Options
    Lol, funny how we all see things differently! I think you’ve both been chewing special mushrooms for lunch if you think that is onside but perhaps I’m seeing it wrong. 

People would be screaming blue murder if that was allowed against us imo
    From that picture he is clearly onside.  #noMushroomsForMe
  • Options
    “I think there’s a lingering aspect of certain big mistakes that may be putting him under more pressure externally"

Gobinson must have completed his night school diploma in psycho-babble. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No VAR. No disallowed goal because of an armpit, not mushroom for debate.
  • Options
    All managers tend to say the same thing to be fair

"I don't want to name names/call out individuals/single out a player but xxxx must do better/will be disappointed/is sitting devasted in the dressing room/ sets himself high standard which he isn't reaching at the moment"
  • Options
    VAFKAR has doubts.
    Dubious goals panel next?
  • Options
    Fucking Hell.  Can you imagine the Gobinson house at tea time?

Mrs G:  "So what do you want for tea soft lad?"

2 hours later...
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    He was onside, the picture is deceptive. What you have to do is imagine the perspective, radiating from a centre point if lines are drawn vertically they actually follow the line of the players from that point. It is not so clear in the picture, but look how the angle of the grass cut gets different as you move left from the centre.

Thank you O level art!
  • Options
    He decides on muffins with clotted cream, whipped cream strawberries and pouring cream?
  • Options
    To be honest I don't give two shits if he's on or offside. We scored they didn't we won 2-0. 

COYA

(It was definitely onside).
  • Options
    Looks onside to me when watching at 0.25x speed.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob62 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    According to expected goals we should have lost last night. Of course it's only actual goals that count, but it does show how we've been able to nick victories without playing well offensively. It's notable that neither of our goals registered very highly as "expected goals".

Reading did ever better on that front. Confident forwards putting away half/quarter chances I imagine

From where Washington shot, you would expect someone to score more than half of the time wouldn't you? 
    A one-on-one conversion rate for top level strikers is actually around a third. 
    Fair enough but 1 in 5........
    I could be wrong but I don't think xG models usually take into account the number of opposition players between the shot and the keeper.

At that distance there's usually 1 or 2 blockers in the way so I'd be surprised if much more than 1 in 5 of shots from that distance were scored.
  • Options
    We all have different opinions and I wouldn't normally bother commenting on other fans views on players but I do think anyone who doesnt rate Watson is just plain bonkers. 
    The guy is our heartbeat, our quarterback , he would be the first name on my teamsheet and probably is on Bowyer's. He has already made a huge difference to our team. Sure he gets booked a lot - inevitably he's lost some pace since he played in the Premiership but he is a lot older and we are in Div 1 and that's why we got him !! but the bloke never ever stops challenging. He is a very important player for us, possibly even the most important player. 
    What? The HEARTBEAT? Not having this at all. So far, to me, his skillset has consisted of 

- Menacingly approaching the opposition player

- Arriving at the opposition player a second after the ball has gone

- Not showing for it when we have the ball

I mean, maybe he's not up to speed yet but I don't have him as one of the top ten reasons we've been winning lately 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lol, funny how we all see things differently! I think you’ve both been chewing special mushrooms for lunch if you think that is onside but perhaps I’m seeing it wrong. 

People would be screaming blue murder if that was allowed against us imo
    you're wrong he is a yard ONSIDE .. the defender in the middle is playing him on, there are possibly two playing him on .. do you think the Oxford players wouldn't be screaming at the officials if there was even a hint of offside ?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Just onside from that picture, however you can't tell without a straight line view for sure.

Here's my attempt to show the pitch lines as a guide...

• Options
    There was no protest from the Oxford players or Robbo after the match about the Washington goal, so they presumably thought it was onside.
    This.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob62 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    According to expected goals we should have lost last night. Of course it's only actual goals that count, but it does show how we've been able to nick victories without playing well offensively. It's notable that neither of our goals registered very highly as "expected goals".

Reading did ever better on that front. Confident forwards putting away half/quarter chances I imagine

From where Washington shot, you would expect someone to score more than half of the time wouldn't you? 
    A one-on-one conversion rate for top level strikers is actually around a third. 
    Fair enough but 1 in 5........
    I could be wrong but I don't think xG models usually take into account the number of opposition players between the shot and the keeper.

At that distance there's usually 1 or 2 blockers in the way so I'd be surprised if much more than 1 in 5 of shots from that distance were scored.
    So it's even more bollocks than I have given it credit for? 
  • Options
    Some xG models do and some xG models don’t. The thing about xG is everyone has a different model but usually end up getting to the same result after a large enough sample of shot data
  • Options
    Here’s a different xG model’s take on it

• Options
    It's one of those things they used to call platform games on the computer isn't it?
    Where's Mariopac?
  • Options

• Options
    Interesting that our next two league opponents are just below us in the form table.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Interesting that our next two league opponents are just below us in the form table.

Why are Peterborough above us in that table ?? We have the same goal difference & alphabetically we come before them. Anyone know.....?  (I can guess & most of you wont like the answer I expect).