Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Does anyone know the record so far for us not conceding
    Just getting interesting
  • Options
    Here’s a different xG model’s take on it

In that model, the Shinnie free kick has a tiny probability of going in, it makes even worse reading for the Oxford keeper  :D
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    MattF said:

Those pass maps make us look slightly unbalanced, as in midfield we had Smyth hugging the right touchline, where there was no midfielder doing the same on the left. The team map shows this clearly

I don't know if this was a deliberate tactic or not
  • Options
    MattF said:

Those pass maps make us look slightly unbalanced, as in midfield we had Smyth hugging the right touchline, where there was no midfielder doing the same on the left. The team map shows this clearly

I have long believed that the left right balance is a myth made up by the media to suit their fancy team graphics.  Although they maybe because I watched the Luton v arsenal league Cup final about 100 times as a kid and they did show a nonsymmetrical team graphic. 

It's now rare that a team play 1 "touch line hugging" winger, let alone 2.  Even teams that play flat 442s, not that many, tend to play either 2 wide midfielders or 1 and a winger.  I can't remember the last team 1 saw, at any level that played 2 wingers? 
  • Options
    Fair one - have just noticed where the team's we've beaten of late are in the league!! 

We played better against the footballing teams in the Championship teams so no reason why that won't extend to this season. Simply, we are better when little is expected from us.
  • Options
    The Portsmouth game will give us a more realistic picture of where we are. Hoping Inniss won't be a big miss.
  • Options
    The Portsmouth game will give us a more realistic picture of where we are. Hoping Inniss won't be a big miss.
    Though we also shouldn’t read too much into one result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    MattF said:

Wait, I thought Watson didn't do anything and was rubbish and slow? How can he have the nearly the most touches, second most amount of passes and highest pass competition rate of all our midfielders?

Wonder how many tackles and interceptions he made as well? 
  • Options
    As I've said the Portsmouth game on Saturday will really tell us where we are - we've beaten teams this season who are currently 15th, 18th, 19th, 20th and 23rd and who have lost 27 games already between them. Marquis and Harness have scored 7 goals between them in the last 3 games and will be a handful.

The real acid test will be should we go a goal behind and whether we have the capability to turn things around from that position as we are used to defending leads from a position of strength. If we can do that then we can probably do anything in this League.
    This.

I might bang on about our lack of a strike force but the main worry is that we've not come back from going behind to win since Boxing Day. I think its now around 15 games that once we concede we can't pull it around. In those games I think we might have lost them all as well (although we might have pulled 1 or 2 back to draw).
    You know the turnaround rate is like 9% on average to win right? It may seem to happen often, but it really doesn't.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Here's that pic with the lines in the pitch all marked

I think this better shows that the two players are practically in line with one another and the old rules were that you give the benefit of doubt to the attacker.
  • Options
    Amazing what you can do with just an edit on the phone. Just like the newspapers probably do, Ive stretched the image to really make it look offside so TS still searches for a forward in January!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I think this better shows that the two players are practically in line with one another and the old rules were that you give the benefit of doubt to the attacker.

Thanks Dazzler for proving my point from the other night. The stairs in the stands were the give away and without VAR, a linesman doesn't give offside if players are level. Armpits don't come into the scenario.

Fantastic two touches from Shinnie and super intelligence and awareness from Washington to stay level. 
  • Options
    Interesting that our next two league opponents are just below us in the form table.

Why are Peterborough above us in that table ?? We have the same goal difference & alphabetically we come before them. Anyone know.....?  (I can guess & most of you wont like the answer I expect). 
    Goals scored is ranked higher than alphabet 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob62 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    According to expected goals we should have lost last night. Of course it's only actual goals that count, but it does show how we've been able to nick victories without playing well offensively. It's notable that neither of our goals registered very highly as "expected goals".

Reading did ever better on that front. Confident forwards putting away half/quarter chances I imagine

From where Washington shot, you would expect someone to score more than half of the time wouldn't you? 
    A one-on-one conversion rate for top level strikers is actually around a third. 
    Fair enough but 1 in 5........
    Is on the way to 2 in 6  ,😄
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Thanks Dazzler for proving my point from the other night. The stairs in the stands were the give away and without VAR, a linesman doesn't give offside if players are level. Armpits don't come into the scenario.

Fantastic two touches from Shinnie and super intelligence and awareness from Washington to stay level. 
    Where's the ball?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

Where's the ball?
    In the defenders right ear.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Where's the ball?

In other words, AFTER the pass has been made. Apart from the angle being off (and the lack of funky pitch markings to give a line) we need an earlier freeze frame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its the same principle as a keeper making a great save or poor keeping when the difference between great and poor is the outcome. 
  • Options
    What i find very strange with all this was he offside
    was he onside stuff, and the related photos taken from
    every angle available, apart from the one up Washington,s
    arse is, why all these feelings of having to justify a perfectly
    good goal well executed, we have enough of that to contend
    with from the opposition usually.
    We won, we won well, and we won 2-0 nuff said ;)
  • Options
    I think Washington is getting a bit too much credit for his finish, wasn't terrible but keeper should have saved it. Movement was fantastic mind. 
    Time and again you see the ball put under or through the legs of a keeper and get praised by the pundits for a cool steady finish. 
    Why is it if it is a Charlton player everyone says it was lucky the goalie behaved like an anxious virgin in keeping legs open or going down too early.?
    Because from the angle he took the shot, instead of going for open side of the goal which was unprotected, he hits it right at the goalies left foot. 
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why do you start a new line about 8 words before you need to?
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been asked before but why do you start a new line about 8 words before you need to?
    Sorry too, didn't realise there was a problem with how i layout a post, will try harder next time  :):)
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Where's the ball?

In other words, AFTER the pass has been made. Apart from the angle being off (and the lack of funky pitch markings to give a line) we need an earlier freeze frame
    -

They're pretty much in line with one another. Rule is advantage goes with the attacker, unless you have VAR at your disposal. 

Due to how vanishing points work as things get further away from your pov they look closer to the centre of your point of view, therefore this angle will always look worse if the last defender is towards the top of your screen. 
  • Options
    Sorry too, didn't realise there was a problem with how i layout a post, will try harder next time  :):)
    Ah there's not a problem, sorry didn't mean any offence, just wondered why you did it. 
  • Options
    Ah there's not a problem, sorry didn't mean any offence, just wondered why you did it. 
    No offence taken mate, it is really only a
    personal take on layout, i feel it makes a
    more concise condensed post, and in my
    opinion easier and quicker to read, that's all 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Where's the ball?

-

They're pretty much in line with one another. Rule is advantage goes with the attacker, unless you have VAR at your disposal. 

Due to how vanishing points work as things get further away from your pov they look closer to the centre of your point of view, therefore this angle will always look worse if the last defender is towards the top of your screen. 
    Wonder if our player isn't slightly obstructing the view of the linesman there
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Where's the ball?

-

Wonder of our player isn't slightly obstructing the view of the linesman there
    Look away. There's nothing to see here.