Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    I am sure that some of the teams above us will peak and run out of gas,Peterborough do it every year,Ipswich last year,and I cannot see Lincoln ,Hull and Doncaster continuing as they are,other teams (us) will not peak until we have our full squad match fit and ready to go.I forecast play  off spot by new year,that has happened 2 months early,I now think top 2 by new year is realistic.
    Washington could be the 20 goal man,does not need many chances to score.Shame about Innis,but he was unlucky.
    The last two refs we have had have both been good,and very consistent,the one last night was appalling,how does a foul on the half way line warrent a booking,when a trip on a man through on goal does not,this drives players and managers mad.
  • Options
    Trying to keep my sensible head on and not get carried away but I certainly feel there is plenty of room for optimism this season.
     Yes, people can criticise certain parts of our recent performances. But, remember, things are only going to get better and not worse. We have cover throughout the squad and with the likes of Maddison and Gilbey still to throw into the mix, we can certainly make the play-offs at the very least.
     A massive plus from last night was Shinnie's performance, while Amos and Smyth deserve honourable mentions. Plus, Pratley and Watson did not do too badly (but, then, I am a fan of the old boys).
  • Options
    I'd rather see Williams starting on Saturday rather than Levitt at the moment.
  • Options
    Innis was unfortunate to get the 2nd yellow .. 2 men going for the ball, 1 big, 1 small, the big one won and just stood his ground (but with a slightly over aggressive tackle) and the big man was sent off after the little man made not a meal but a feast of his 'injury' .. Oxford were not at all bad, we just scored 2 very good goals .. we don't look over convincing but are just not conceding goals and we're getting the breaks ..
     solid defence, attack is getting better, midfield needs sorting and fine tuning, keeper is as good as Phillips (LOL), management team is right on the case ..
    we'll have a stern test on Saturday without a couple of influential players and that will be a good indication of a) how good we really are and b) what needs to be done to keep up the challenge for the top .. so far, a good season that is gradually getting better
  • Options
     A quickly assembled squad after the season had already started, 8 games gone and already in 6th, 5 clean sheets on the trot. Bowyer/Gallen should not have to keep rebuilding a squad so many times but circumstances/crap owners dictated that. But yet again they have done it, of course bit all the signings will work but if the majority of them do that all you can ask, and yet again they have done it
  • Options
    The thing about Saturday is that whilst many have been calling for Watson and Pratley not to start together in midfield, most want one of them. Now it looks like Pratley will have to play centre half, which he can do well enough, but it has consequences for the midfield. We still have options though and Aneke to come back in.
  • Options
    I think there are some thoughts on here regarding the second
    goal that seems to only blame the GK for a poorly made attempt
    to save, and in doing so takes away the praise due to Shinnie for
    the goal.
    I thought it was an excellently taken free kick, and the main reason
    the save wasn't made was down to the accuracy and pace of the
    kick, the GK was in perfect position, but because of the skill involved
    was unable to get anywhere near it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    In my view both yellow cards for Innes were legitimate within the rules of football.
    If the referee was good or bad in other instances seems irrelevant.
    We are now nicely back on the equivalent of having won every home game and drawn every away game which is the obvious target for success in my view.
    If we can continue on to win at home then one win and two defeats from the next three away is acceptable.
    My point being that a defeat at Portsmouth is recoverable especially as we remain a work in progress.
    Other teams will also get injuries and suspensions one time or another.
  • Options
    the goal.

agreed to a point .. you'd have expected a premier keeper to stop that shot .. Eastwood is not a premier keeper though he has been in the Oxford team for quite a long time and is very capable (usually) and experienced
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    the goal.

let's be honest, the keeper should have saved it but Shinnie had a great game and hit it as well as was possible. To defend the keeper slightly, he had to cover three possibilities. A floated ball for our strong in the air players to run on to, a curler in the top left corner and the shot that happened. It needed to be very powerful to have a chance and it paid off.  

I agree with Seth, we can recover from a defeat at Portsmouth, and a draw would be great whilst a win would be fantastic. The depth of the squad is really being tested on Saturday and is up to it. I'm not so interested in the table at this moment, it is all about us. An average of two points is very likely to get you automatic promotion and that is where we are at now.
  • Options
    Levitt has been absolute poo so far. I don't want him anywhere near the first squad. 

For Saturday I'd hope we go 4-3-3 again. I don't want to see us mess with players natural positions too much, I'm not keen on us moving Gunter inside, instead I'd prefer we bring Barker back in to defence.

Amos

Matthews - Gunter - Famewo - Maatsen

Shinnie - Pratley - F.Caskey

Smyth - Aneke - Washtn

or 

Amos

Gunter - Barker - Famewo - Maatsen

Shinnie - Pratley - F.Caskey

Smyth - Aneke - Washtn

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Another vital 3 points on the Thomas Sandgaard journey to global domination.

Injuries and cards continue to impact on our season.  The mandatory yellow for Watson and Inniss cemented his cult hero status. Washington confirming that he is a 1 goal in 3 games goalscorer and Aneke, Maddison, Gilbey and Doughty (no time soon) being prepared so we can add some cream to the basic pudding. 

League 1 continues to look a shadow of its former self when Norwich, Leeds and Southampton graced the 3rd tier but "it is what it is" and we will continue to negate the opposition and hope the keepers continue to have butter fingers (not Amos!) and we savour the crumbs on offer up front.

Master chef Darren Pratley told us it was going to be a long Slog; the proof of the pudding...

DWWWW is pure ambrosia.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Levitt has been absolute poo so far. I don't want him anywhere near the first squad. 

For Saturday I'd hope we go 4-3-3 again. I don't want to see us mess with players natural positions too much, I'm not keen on us moving Gunter inside, instead I'd prefer we bring Barker back in to defence.

Amos

Smyth - Aneke - Washtn

or 

Amos

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Amos

Smyth - Aneke - Washtn

or 

Amos

Agreed, both line ups look good with a 4-3-3, and like
    to welcome Aneke back, however, he will not make a full
    90 mins, so will have to switch back to 4-4-2, but who
    comes in if not Levitt, maybe Morgan?
  • Options
    by the way Dazzler, sorry i cocked up your post a bit :/
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It was an ok post until you said "4 lucky wins" 
    You are right, that's unfair. I meant lucky in terms of shot to goal ratio, but the wins weren't lucky in terms of game control.
    I think it is fair comment to say that we were slightly lucky to get 4 wins in a row. We've not looked like losing any of them, but in different circumstances there could easily have been 1 or 2 extra nil nils in that run
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The last time I looked at the league table was just before we went on this run. I have no intention of looking at it until we succumb to someone; which I hope will not be anytime soon!
  • Options
    In previous seasons (especially last year), if we’d been 2-0 up with 30 minutes to go and then down to 10 men, I’d have been on edge of seat expecting a draw. Last night I was relaxed and enjoying the commentary still, convinced that our players were comfortable to allow Oxford good spells without conceding. 
    Last season we were up against far better players though. I'm sure our 2019/20 side would have held on to the win against Oxford last night as well
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    In my view both yellow cards for Innes were legitimate within the rules of football.
    If the referee was good or bad in other instances seems irrelevant.
    We are now nicely back on the equivalent of having won every home game and drawn every away game which is the obvious target for success in my view.
    If we can continue on to win at home then onec win and two defeats from the next three away is acceptable.
    My point being that a defeat at Portsmouth is recoverable especially as we remain a work in progress.
    Other teams will also get injuries and suspensions one time or another.
    Absolutely... When I said it was frustrating we cant appeal its why someone replied saying we wouldnt win anyway

Trouble is though:

(1) Nearly every foul is deserving of a Yellow Card, whether its a late challenge or whether its a niggly challenge
    (2) The referee proved yesterday with Gorrin that he was being lenient with second / third fouls so where was the consistency?
    (3) Its also the sort of incident where the referee could easily pull the player aside, tell him he's on a fine line so be careful

The only defence I can give the referee is he had a word with Inniss over fouling the Goalkeeper; Inniss only a few minutes later has unfortunately gone into that challenge and the referee has thought: "Okay mate, you didnt listen when I told you off for the first yellow minutes ago, I cant be bothered with you anymore" - I wonder if the two yellow cards had been more spread out then we would have seen more of a ticking off from the referee
  • Options
    the goal.

agreed to a point .. you'd have expected a premier keeper to stop that shot .. Eastwood is not a premier keeper though he has been in the Oxford team for quite a long time and is very capable (usually) and experienced
    I thought the keeper did worse for Washington's goal. No way it should have gone past him
  • Options
    pettgra said:
    The last time I looked at the league table was just before we went on this run. I have no intention of looking at it until we succumb to someone; which I hope will not be anytime soon!
    Have a sneaky peek,.. you may be impressed  ;)
  • Options
    siblers said:
    the goal.

I thought the keeper did worse for Washington's goal. No way it should have gone past him
    He had a nightmare for both goals - I’d  be very disappointed if Amos had conceded them. 
  • Options
    For those slating Watson.

We haven't conceded a goal in weeks!
    Watson has played most of the games as a DEFENSIVE midfielder.
    He's a big part of the reason that we've kept those clean sheets.

I really don't know what some of you are expecting from him??
    Totally agree. He breaks things up and is always going to pick up yellow cards. Shame he is ruled out for Saturday - we will miss him.
    I think its damned impressive that Watson didnt get booked against Northampton come to think about it

Gotta give him his due there, he was having a moan from the sidelines when Smyth got brought down so surprised the referee didnt trot over then