Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Been out all evening and only just got in... anywhere I can see the highlights? Seen the goals on Instagram, but want to see the Innis sending off. 
    Keep an eye on here: https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/report/430907

The highlights thread too should be updated with a link when they do appear
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy win really.  Will be interesting to see how we go vs Pompey with Watson and Innis missing.  Gunter in the middle with Matthews RB I guess.  Shinnie looks a great signing.
    Barker in the middle
    Think I would start Barker leave the rest of defence unchanged and leave Pratley in the middle.
    I've given up trying to predict LB though
    Barker isn't the "next cab on the rank" though is he?  He only played, as well as he did play, because he wasn't a pro.

There are at least 2 u23 center backs in front of him.  But I wouldn't expect either of them to play either, maybe one on the bench? 
    Barker has a slight advantage over Vega and Mingi though; Bowyer knows he's "solid" enough for League One Football
    If that was the case Bowyer would "tell" Euall to pick him for the U23s and get used to it.  Wouldn't he? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy win really.  Will be interesting to see how we go vs Pompey with Watson and Innis missing.  Gunter in the middle with Matthews RB I guess.  Shinnie looks a great signing.
    Barker in the middle
    Think I would start Barker leave the rest of defence unchanged and leave Pratley in the middle.
    Barker isn't the "next cab on the rank" though is he?  He only played, as well as he did play, because he wasn't a pro.

There are at least 2 u23 center backs in front of him.  But I wouldn't expect either of them to play either, maybe one on the bench? 
    To be honest I'm unsure how it works now the squads are submitted.
    Yes Barker aint the next cab on the rank ( i like that) but surely if LB rates him above the other u23s he can play him? Or is that not allowed now.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Barker in the middle

Barker has a slight advantage over Vega and Mingi though; Bowyer knows he's "solid" enough for League One Football
    If that was the case Bowyer would "tell" Euall to pick him for the U23s and get used to it.  Wouldn't he? 
    Or are they simply managing his game time even for the U23s given his age?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    And now Robinson's up. He does not look chuffed.
    Lord, I'd forgotten how much he can talk. 
    Has he finished yet?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Has he finished yet?
    He's probably still bemoaning the first half
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    • Matthews Gunter Famewo Maatsen
    • Williams  Forster-Caskey  Shinnie
    • Smyth  Aneke  Washington
    To start maybe, not too bad, Pratley rested, 
    Yeah dont see a rested Pratley for this one...

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Pratley | Famewo | Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey | Shinnie
    Aneke
    Smyth | Washington

Is how I'd go
    Bows always favoured 5 at the back against the 'stronger teams' in the Championship.

So I will wouldn't be shocked to see

Amos
            Gunter Famewo Purrington
    Matthews                               Maatsen
                 Pratley Williams JFC
                      Smyth Aneke
    No Washington?
    Yeah, I'm just thinking back to last year and Bows always liked to play the main striker (Taylor), with a smaller dynamic ball carrier next to them (Leko).

So if we play this formation I would expect to see it being either Aneke or Washington who start with either Smyth or Maddison taking the other position. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Barker in the middle

Yes Barker aint the next cab on the rank ( i like that) but surely if LB rates him above the other u23s he can play him? Or is that not allowed now.
    Bowyer can play him if he wants. The point I am making is Barker played the first few games because he didn't count under the embargo as he wasn't a pro. 

The other 2 U23s center halves, whos names I can't remember now, are ahead of him in the pecking order.  Barker is a u18 who isn't 1st choice for the U23s.  Now the embargo has gone, I would be shocked if he plays. Fair play and good luck to him if he does. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Barker in the middle

Barker and any of the other U23s will be classed as Home Grown players so wont need to be submitted as part of the Squad

Thats how it works in the Premier League anyway
  • Options
    Solid but dull.

Great three points.

It werent dull at all.....
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Has he finished yet?
    He's probably still bemoaning the first half
    He was bemoaning the first half, second half, injury time and life in general.
  • Options
    It’s so reassuring that we stay so solid when things aren’t quite clicking for us. Once we got ahead we never looked like losing it even when down to 10. Typical Robinson side, lots of possession but little threat. Pompey will be a real test with those not available but we always seem to do well at Fratton Park. 
  • Options
    @Dazzler21 said:

Well well well

Gobinson loses to Bowyer. Ref is awful and Inniss gets a harsh sending off.

Watson also misses the next game.

Washington and Shinnie score.

Oh and Ali did a swear! 
    Only a fairly mild one, and you can't say it wasn't justified. I'm surprised it was a matter of note for you. 😛
  • Options
    Great win seems like everytime we start to get going we get another injury or suspension, like others have said if we ever get Maddison, Aneke, Doughty, Gilbey etc etc playing in the same team I think we will be unstoppable, happy we are grinding results out the way we are.

Side note typical Robinson team loads of possession going forward but do fuck all when in the final 3rd.
  • Options
    Frustrating game from my viewpoint as my coverage seized up for half the second half at least from 46 minutes.

However from what I did see we put in a very professional performance. Not a lot of pretty football but we were effective. I felt this was very much a team performance but would single out the two goalscorers Washington and Shinnie both for the obvious reason of their goals and their general industry and effectiveness.

Inniss will be, in all senses of the words, a big miss on Saturday against Portsmouth . Our back four has been pivotal to these four consecutive victories and the presence of Inniss in both penalty boxes has been integral to that. Watson too had probably his best match for us thus far and not having him as an option against Pompey will be another negative.

We will also be lacking Alfie for the foreseeable a massive loss to us.

I should be feeling a lot more elation with tonight's victory but these other factors have taken the gloss off it somewhat.

That said 6th in the table with a game in hand on the teams above us.

COYR!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Been out all evening and only just got in... anywhere I can see the highlights? Seen the goals on Instagram, but want to see the Innis sending off. 
    Keep an eye on here: https://www.skysports.com/football/charlton-vs-oxford-utd/report/430907

The highlights thread too should be updated with a link when they do appear
    Highlights are up now @DoctorCharlton
  • Options
    Limbs.
    Their keeper, one through his legs, one through his arms (the frayed bits on the end of his arms).
    Limbs.
  • Options
    I'm glad Chuks didn't come on, but it's a shame that we weren't able to cruise to the victory with 11 men and bring Maddison on for a few minutes, as it would have been a perfect situation for him
  • Options
    Smyth reminds me of John Robinson at times - seems a proper Charlton player 
    Without the bookings