Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Smyth reminds me of John Robinson at times - seems a proper Charlton player 

It's fair to praise Smyth but to mention his name in the same sentence as the great Johnny Robinson just feels very very wrong.

If there were such a thing as a 'Charlton snack' you would go without for a week.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Just rewatched the red card.

Bloody ridiculous that it was even given as a foul, even more ridiculous was their number 9 curled up in a ball almost convulsing in pain... Yet he got up and played on. Dirty cheat played the ref there.
    Its a shame they didnt show the foul on the Goalkeeper

You could argue the ball was still live but Matt Taylor's challenge on Amos in the first half was surely just as bad?

Ironic as he did get a Yellow Card himself in the second half
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Bloody ridiculous that it was even given as a foul, even more ridiculous was their number 9 curled up in a ball almost convulsing in pain... Yet he got up and played on. Dirty cheat played the ref there.
    Sadly Dazz this is creeping more and more into the English game. I watched the hi-lights show on Quest at the weekend and saw several players going down as if they had been shot however the ref ignored them and they were up and chasing back within seconds.

Lot more players going down with the slightest of touches in the box as well looking for pens, used to be a problem in Italian football however we are very close behind them now. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Sadly Dazz this is creeping more and more into the English game. I watched the hi-lights show on Quest at the weekend and saw several players going down as if they had been shot however the ref ignored them and they were up and chasing back within seconds.

Lot more players going down with the slightest of touches in the box as well looking for pens, used to be a problem in Italian football however we are very close behind them now. 
    Can argue its an issue that the referees have created themselves though

How many of us were saying that Maatsen should have gone down before he cut the ball back to Purrington late on

Why though should he need to go down?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You could argue the ball was still live but Matt Taylor's challenge on Amos in the first half was surely just as bad?

I thought it looked like he was shoved into the keeper during the game, but could be remembering it wrong... I thought he was shoved as the ball came in falling on the GK.
  • Options
    The one disappointing aspect tonight is that not one of our players came through our academy bar a reserve keeper who hasn't even played a league game for us as of yet.

A sign of the times and with Doughty potentially leaving in January I do wonder if we have any coming through who will be good enough to play for us, on a regular basis and in the foreseeable future, especially if we are fortunate enough to make it to the Championship next season?
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

Williams does this every time someone goes near him. Bloody annoying.
  • Options
    Been out all evening and only just got in... anywhere I can see the highlights? Seen the goals on Instagram, but want to see the Innis sending off. 
    @DoctorCharlton

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/12116468/charlton-2-0-oxford
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2020
    PWR

Didn’t see the match only the highlights on Sky, apart from our goals, looked all Oxford, was it?

Can’t obviously tell from the sky clip but did we only have two chances and scored both?

What appears to bode well, is beating a team we normally struggle against!
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Washington & Shinnie saved me tonight because after 30 mins I was going to post at half time that anyone who thinks we are top 6 material are having a bubble. Up to the goal we were awful - disjointed & devoid of ideas. The 2nd half we were no better but by then all we had to do was to defend the lead- which we did admirably and with grit & determination. Both Watson & Innis will be a big miss but our record at Fratton Pk is second to none - cant remember losing there & recent times matches there have been pivotal on us getting into the play offs.

Honourable mentions tonight for Washington & Smyth, along with the back 5 (of course) but like many my MOTM was Shinnie.

My 1 negative is again our goal scoring. I keep banging this drum so much I've have had to have it re-skinned 3 times already this season ! 

Tonight showed that Smyth is better out wide & with his miss on Saturday, confirms he wont be troubling the scorers much this season. Bogle is obviously not match fit but even when he is he's battling with Magennis for the "tall striker who cant win a header" trophy  -  so you can also count him out to be into double figures come May next year. Aneke cant play 2 games in a row so we'll be lucky for him to play 20 times this season, let alone score that many. So, it looks like the burden will fall on the American (geddit). Shame Bowyer has had him on the bench for the past couple of games.......

It's not a coincidence that of the top 6 we have the worst goal difference & worst goals scored (admittedly played 1 game less, but to catch them we would have to score 5 or 6 ). In fact, only 1 team above 18th have scored less than us (Crewe). 

As I said a week or so ago, it would be nice on occasions to score more than twice in a match. On saturday we will probably need to if we want to win. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Another solid defensive performance.

Oxford typical Robinson team, pretty at times but no real penetration and wobbly at the back.

Need Aneke back against Pompey in my opinion in place of Boogle who has terrible control.

Most importantly another 3points.
    Boogle? When did we sign him?
  • Options
    Smyth reminds me of John Robinson at times - seems a proper Charlton player 
    Does he excel at winging and complaining to the ref as well?
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Just watched it again several times myself @Dazzler21

In effect Taylor ran into the advancing Inniss, but had already got to the ball and played it a split second before.
    That's the touch on the ball that makes it a foul rather than an accidental collision.

The referee will have adjudged that Inniss missed the ball and body checked the Oxford player.

No doubt in my mind that Taylor intentionally played for the free kick.
    That's what professionals do, of course ....... but by rolling around and making a meal of it, he made the incident look worse than it was.

Yes, that was what got Inniss a 2nd yellow.

• Options
    Delighted as always to have got the three points, great to see us winning games and nicely placed.

But can’t get away that it was bloody awful as a spectacle imo. 
    Don't worry.  Maddison and Gilbey will probably transform this team.

Of course, we may not win so often.

OK with that?
  • Options
    It was a good job their keeper was so poor! The free kick attempted save was weird, it went straight through his hands. Great strike though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Washington & Shinnie saved me tonight because after 30 mins I was going to post at half time that anyone who thinks we are top 6 material are having a bubble. Up to the goal we were awful - disjointed & devoid of ideas. The 2nd half we were no better but by then all we had to do was to defend the lead- which we did admirably and with grit & determination. Both Watson & Innis will be a big miss but our record at Fratton Pk is second to none - cant remember losing there & recent times matches there have been pivotal on us getting into the play offs.

Honourable mentions tonight for Washington & Smyth, along with the back 5 (of course) but like many my MOTM was Shinnie.

My 1 negative is again our goal scoring. I keep banging this drum so much I've have had to have it re-skinned 3 times already this season ! 

Tonight showed that Smyth is better out wide & with his miss on Saturday, confirms he wont be troubling the scorers much this season. Bogle is obviously not match fit but even when he is he's battling with Magennis for the "tall striker who cant win a header" trophy  -  so you can also count him out to be into double figures come May next year. Aneke cant play 2 games in a row so we'll be lucky for him to play 20 times this season, let alone score that many. So, it looks like the burden will fall on the American (geddit). Shame Bowyer has had him on the bench for the past couple of games.......

It's not a coincidence that of the top 6 we have the worst goal difference & worst goals scored (admittedly played 1 game less, but to catch them we would have to score 5 or 6 ). In fact, only 1 team above 18th have scored less than us (Crewe). 

As I said a week or so ago, it would be nice on occasions to score more than twice in a match. On saturday we will probably need to if we want to win. 
    We are not top six material, we are top two material.
    And before you suggest a bet, remember that you just lost the last bet tonight, with four games for me to spare!
    15 points from 12 games - not top six material - you're having a laugh
  • Options
    Great result after rpm we made oxford look like Brazil for the first 30. Bogle is very disappointing imo, static and can’t trap or head the ball. Eek, get Aneke fit! Our defence was awesome and what a play Shinnie is. 
  • Options
    PWR - not really at it first half and Oxford must have been scratching their heads how we were 2 up. Second half much, much better. Showed more attacking intent and some good performances. Smyth, Shinnie, Maatsen, Famewo, Inniss all very impressive. Gunter solid. Washington and Bogle worked hard and the former took his goal well. Amos did ok although spilled one in the first half that could have cost us. Watson got better as the game went on although he was lucky not to be sent off. Inniss first booking was stupid and unessessary. Going to miss him Saturday.

Still don’t think we are firing on all cylinders and looking forward to getting Maddison and Gilbey into the side.

All in all a decent performance, onwards and upwards.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Completely different challenges

Taylor fouled Amos challenging for the ball, Inniss pulled Eastwood back when Eastwood had control of the ball and was about the launch it up field to start an attack. A definite booking
  • Options
    The first half an hour of the match thread is hilarious. Ref is shit, Watson is shit, our passing is shit, Smyth keeps giving it away, Bogle is shit.

Then suddenly it turns into this league is easy and we're going to win it.
    they do say "Time heals all wounds".
  • Options
    It was an ok post until you said "4 lucky wins"