Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United | Post-match thread | Tuesday 27 October 2020

Comments

• Options
    Saturday will be interesting selection wise, no Watson, Oshilaja, Pearce or Inniss, so I can see us going with a back 4 of Gunter, Pratley, Famewo and Maatsen, or maybe even adding Matthews right wing back and going 5 at the back
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Terrible decision for Inniss, so whats the chance of Pierce
    being back in time for Saturday? :/
    Pierce??
    Ears or nose 🤔.
    Nipples.
  • Options
    • Amos
    • Matthews Gunter Famewo Maatsen
    • Williams  Forster-Caskey  Shinnie
    • Smyth  Aneke  Washington
    To start maybe, not too bad, Pratley rested, 
  • Options
    Great result. Another clean sheet. Team performance was that. Thought Shinnie was great. Smyth and Washington had their best games. With Pratley in central defence and Watson out on Saturday, we could be forced to go very attacking with JW and Maddison coming in. Aneke also should feature. Bogle has put in a good couple of shifts. Red army!
  • Options
    A hard fought win. 

A weird 1st half in that we weren't very good, but scored 2 good goals, one after a nice bit of play, the other from a good shot that their keeper should have saved. Indeed the biggest difference between the teams was Amos vs Eastwood, Eastwood really struggled tonight while Amos was dominant

I don't like Pratley and Watson together in midfield, and would have much preferred to have one on the bench and someone more progressive in midfield. By all means bring the other one off the bench when you need to tighten things up (e.g. after the sending off), but you don't need to start with both. Now, with Watson suspended and Pratley likely to be in defence, we will have neither in midfield vs Pompey.

We actually played better in the second half, Inniss was perhaps a bit unlucky to be sent off BUT his first booking was stupid and the second one fell into the "often given but the referee usually gives you the benefit of the doubt if you're on 

Smyth looks more suited as a winger than as a striker 
    Smyth hasn't scored for 28 games in this division (including for Wycombe last season) so I would worry if we are going to rely on him for too many goals
  • Options
    Certainly not free flowing football but very very efficient & affective! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We're a bloody solid side defensively.

Real test comes Saturday.

If we can keep a right mark on the Marquis of Portsmouth we will be fine.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    We're a bloody solid side defensively.

Real test comes Saturday.
    I think you’ll find we’re play Pompei this weekend @Dazzler21
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    Yeah dont see a rested Pratley for this one...

Amos
    Matthews | Gunter | Pratley | Famewo | Maatsen
    Forster-Caskey | Shinnie
    Aneke
    Smyth | Washington

Is how I'd go
  • Options
    Easy win really.  Will be interesting to see how we go vs Pompey with Watson and Innis missing.  Gunter in the middle with Matthews RB I guess.  Shinnie looks a great signing.
    Barker in the middle
  • Options
    Pity we won’t go into the Pompey game at full strength. Could have been a defining game for where we currently are. Instead we go into the game already on the back foot. 
    Let’s see. We are no pushovers. I can see Matthews and Gunter playing in that game. 
  • Options
    @FishCostaFortune said:

Any Watson doubters - look how we controlled that game when we went down to 10. I imagine he was a major contributing factor to that - it's almost like we got better when we had 10.
    On the other hand he was pretty invisible in the first half, and could have easily got another yellow. He played well when we went down to 10 men, but then so did everyone else in the field, and they contributed more elsewhere during the game
    We got better straight after half time and it was not down to Watson. It was Pratley who stepped up, winning the ball more in midfield and not letting Oxford play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @FishCostaFortune said:

Any Watson doubters - look how we controlled that game when we went down to 10. I imagine he was a major contributing factor to that - it's almost like we got better when we had 10.
    On the other hand he was pretty invisible in the first half, and could have easily got another yellow. He played well when we went down to 10 men, but then so did everyone else in the field, and they contributed more elsewhere during the game
    It's a fair enough point, but I would argue its not Watson's job to contribute elsewhere on the pitch. Its his job to be the shield in front of the defence breaking up play, by making tackles and interceptions and then distribute the ball to a player like Shinnie or Smyth who can then link up the attack. 

And whatever you think of him, he clearly does that very well - as well as adds something even more important and what Bows wants - leadership and experience. 
    But he wasn't doing that shielding job very well in the 1st half, Oxford carved us open several times
  • Options
    Did you know if you leave Valley Pass on they keep repeating the highlights?

And occasionally you get an interview with the managers as well later on.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    Yes , rest Pratley if you want Pompey to steamroller us.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Looks like Bow's on the stream
    ETA -  you're probably going to crank the volume up.
  • Options
    Did you know if you leave Valley Pass on they keep repeating the highlights?

And occasionally you get an interview with the managers as well later on.
    In fact I think an interview with LB might be coming on now
  • Options
    Watching the end of the replay of the Innis sending off, none of the Charlton players protested, which suggests that they thought it was a second yellow as well
    Or ...

The Charlton players sussed out that the ref was such a twonk that he'd start booking all of them for dissent and then start sending them off as well.

This ref truly was the bastard love-child of Stroud and Kettle, and adopted by Linnington.

Even with the numerical disadvantage (us a player sent off plus them having the ref) we didn't look troubled, Oxford wouldn't have broken through our back five if they'd carried on playing for another couple of weeks.

Shinnie was my MotM but there were good shifts from Smyth, Prats, and, of course, the defensive unit.

It's a shame that Inniss won't be available for Saturday so Lord Bowyer will have to re-shuffle his pack but with the belief in this squad at the moment I don't think it'll bother them.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    • Amos
    Here's my Pratley-skeptic crown. It's yours now. He has to play.
  • Options
    can’t argue with 4 in a row and 5 clean sheets. 

Sounds like we Oxford were a tad unlucky though in first half