Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Plymouth | Boxing Day 2020

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Another disjointed performance. I always support the team and whoever gets picked during a game.
    I can't be arsed to criticized a RB at LB anymore. I said why that was a bad idea in the mini League when Oshilaja played LB in 3 games.  It never really works with a Right footer at LB. (Ask Joe Gomez, Solly or Oshilaja)

Most on here including me wanted Aneke and Williams to start but I wanted Morgan and Maddison with them to see if we could get ahead but  it was a big gamble to play Maatsen in Midfield and Matthews at LB.  Maatsen was erratic in his new position as was Matthews. Ian nearly scored from a good shot and Matthews did a good cross.
    Maatsen has potential to play in midfield but not sure today was the day to try it when Morgan and Maddison were on the bench. 

I thought we would come back and win 2-1 when we went 1-0 down as long as we sharpened up with our final ball. 
    I hadn't taken into consideration giving another soft goal away but with the loss of our first choice CB's that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Oshilaja is always a better player when he isn't playing than when he is.

If we don't get another Strong CB to compensate for the injury prone Inniss and Famewo we are looking nailed on for 7th place.

We scored two goals and nearly scored two more but having to score 3 goals to garner 3 points will continue to be a problem.

Since the Burton game we are giving more gifts away than the 3 wise men.

ITK fans are saying Ronnie Schwartz is looking likely but it's paramount we get another CB and a replacement for the home sick Levitt if we can get another loan in.

Not sure if we did drop 2 points today as Plymouth could and should have scored 4 as well.
    The game could've easily been a double Bishop Tutu.

Next game our subs are coming on after 5 minutes as they are our main Goalscorers.
    Bonkers yes, but so is the torture of watching the Charlton side being more generous than Santa.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    'Move the ball quicker'

You've got a right back with no left foot, playing at left back!!
    Would love to know where Purrington was today

He was dropped according to Benjy Nurik. Bows said he didnt do enough last week & wanted a more attacking bench.

Which to me is bollox if you don't have another left footed player to play there. 
    At the same time though its fair enough - We've played players out of position before and it hasnt hurt us

Matthews wasnt incompetent today, he gave away one stupid free kick which unfortunately cost us, otherwise was fine there, felt he did a lot better at LB than Pearce and Pratley at CB (another one of those was also out of position) - Neither Purrington / Maatsen (same as Matthews / Gunter) should think they can put in a weak performance or put in a slack amount on training, simply because they know that they'll get game time simply because the other player in their position is being played in another role or because they're out injured!!

Bowyer explained that after the Doncaster performance, that display he felt was down to players being arrogant enough to think that their positions arent under threat
    Sorry mate couldn’t disagree more. Absolute bewildering that Bowyer decided to play Maatsen midfield but then not start Purrington. The only arrogance regarding a position not being under threat I can see is from Bowyer. Continues to make baffling decisions and when the results aren’t going for you it makes you look very very stupid. 
    Fair enough, but Matthews playing Left-Back today because he's not left footed wasnt what cost us the second goal, lets not think that Matthews playing on the wrong flank was the reason

The reason was he stupidly jumped for a challenge that didnt need to happen, had he not given away a needless free kick then they werent scoring

e.g. We're moaning that Bowyer played someone out of position when he could have played a left-footed player back there, but that player who played there made one error which was in the air!!
  • Options
    Seeing as Plymouth were the away side, a draw was a fair result.
  • Options
    'Move the ball quicker'

He was dropped according to Benjy Nurik. Bows said he didnt do enough last week & wanted a more attacking bench.

Which to me is bollox if you don't have another left footed player to play there. 
    If that's correct, that's just a terrible decision. He feels to me like an amateur cricket captain at the moment who constantly just follows the ball around the pitch and tries to move his players to plug the gaps.

Why not play Mattsen at left back and play Williams in that position if you thought he looked so good in training. It's where he played when we dominated AFC Wimbledon second half. 

That way you can start Maddison or over the last two games had not done anything to deserve to be benched in my opinion. 
    I agree. And the comment regarding Purrington was on twitter from Benjy Nurik (a journo)
  • Options
    'Move the ball quicker'

At the same time though its fair enough - We've played players out of position before and it hasnt hurt us

Matthews wasnt incompetent today, he gave away one stupid free kick which unfortunately cost us, otherwise was fine there, felt he did a lot better at LB than Pearce and Pratley at CB (another one of those was also out of position) - Neither Purrington / Maatsen (same as Matthews / Gunter) should think they can put in a weak performance or put in a slack amount on training, simply because they know that they'll get game time simply because the other player in their position is being played in another role or because they're out injured!!

Bowyer explained that after the Doncaster performance, that display he felt was down to players being arrogant enough to think that their positions arent under threat
    Sorry mate couldn’t disagree more. Absolute bewildering that Bowyer decided to play Maatsen midfield but then not start Purrington. The only arrogance regarding a position not being under threat I can see is from Bowyer. Continues to make baffling decisions and when the results aren’t going for you it makes you look very very stupid. 
    Fair enough, but Matthews playing Left-Back today because he's not left footed wasnt what cost us the second goal, lets not think that Matthews playing on the wrong flank was the reason

The reason was he stupidly jumped for a challenge that didnt need to happen, had he not given away a needless free kick then they werent scoring
    I wouldn’t disagree with that, although it is more proof for me that Bows is losing the plot.  
  • Options
    'Move the ball quicker'

I wouldn’t disagree with that, although it is more proof for me that Bows is losing the plot.  
    Why, he's not the first Manager to play a full-back on the other flank
  • Options
    I think there is a possibility that he is asking too much tactically of players. We certainly should be doing better with the quality we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Matthews did quite well. We didn't need to use him as our attacking outlet so regularly.
  • Options
    'Move the ball quicker'

How many managers play a full back on the other flank when they’ve already got two natural players ready to play in that position? I’d also argue Gunter has played LB a lot more than Matthews so even then I think he got it the wrong way round! 
  • Options
    'Move the ball quicker'

How many managers play a full back on the other flank when they’ve already got two natural players ready to play in that position? I’d also argue Gunter has played LB a lot more than Matthews so even then I think he got it the wrong way round! 
    I'll agree on Gunter @ Left-Back over Matthews

But it shouldnt give Purrington the right to put in a shit performance himself or have a few off days in training because he knows he's likely to get in the team if Maatsen is played elsewhere

Where is the incentive to force him to do better if he's almost guaranteed game time in situations like this?
  • Options
    Simple solution. Start them both then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2020

Did you want Bowyer to match them up in a 3-5-2 like Curbs said or do you want him to play both luxury players? There's no way Williams and Maddison can play together in a central midfield three.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Left back in midfield. Right back at left back. Centre mid at centre back. Perfectly decent centre back on the bench. Most creative midfielder on the bench. All that against one of the leakiest defences in the league. That is all
    Spot on. Would love to know why.

Also no good starting your best 2 strikers & then leaving the creative players (Maddison & Morgan) on the bench. We might be in a decent position with a game in hand but we should be so much higher up - probably 2nd. 4 points dropped in the last 2 games against teams that are in bad run of form & who are leaking goals. 
    When Bowyer starts Maddison, people moan that he’s not starting Williams.

When Bowyer starts Williams, people moan that he’s not starting Maddison.
    Dont worry if we lose when we start both it'll be because Pratley started over Oshilaja

Fans know that Bowyer has only picked the right team when we win, unfortunately they have the hindsight to know if we've won or not

Whereas Bowyer wont have that advantage before picking the team what'll actually happen

Because the opposition will come along with their own game plan!!

And lets not pretend, as even when the team sheet gets announced, the en mass comments will start saying Bowyer has got it wrong, even if we go on to win
  • Options
    Whose fault is it if we play both and still dont win?
  • Options
    What about we win or we lose as a team not this blame game Bowyer does all the time but is never at fault himself with his awful team selection & tactics! 
  • Options
    What about we win or we lose as a team not this blame game Bowyer does all the time but is never at fault himself with his awful team selection & tactics! 
    Bowyer's selection / tactics should have won the game today though... I dont think he got much wrong in that regard

How can his decisions ensure that one Centre-Back doesnt go walkies (how do you know Oshilaja wouldnt have done worse?) or his Full-Back stupidly jump for a challenge that was likely to result in a foul?

Bowyer can only instruct his players so much, it comes to the point when they themselves have to take the blame

Matthews and Pratley for their brief moments of stupidity have to take responsibility for that
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Did you want Bowyer to match them up in a 3-5-2 like Curbs said or do you want him to play both luxury players? There's no way Williams and Maddison can play together in a central midfield three.
    It was a tongue in cheek response to a previous comment. There isn't one way, there are different options. But square pegs in round holes when it isn't forced on you might not be the right one. 

I do think that if you know you have better players, it is normally a good idea to match up. Maybe Bowyer rates the players less than I do.

• Options
    Left back in midfield. Right back at left back. Centre mid at centre back. Perfectly decent centre back on the bench. Most creative midfielder on the bench. All that against one of the leakiest defences in the league. That is all
    Spot on. Would love to know why.

Also no good starting your best 2 strikers & then leaving the creative players (Maddison & Morgan) on the bench. We might be in a decent position with a game in hand but we should be so much higher up - probably 2nd. 4 points dropped in the last 2 games against teams that are in bad run of form & who are leaking goals. 
    When Bowyer starts Maddison, people moan that he’s not starting Williams.

When Bowyer starts Williams, people moan that he’s not starting Maddison.
    Dont worry if we lose when we start both it'll be because Pratley started over Oshilaja

Fans know that Bowyer has only picked the right team when we win, unfortunately they have the hindsight to know if we've won or not

Whereas Bowyer wont have that advantage before picking the team what'll actually happen

Because the opposition will come along with their own game plan!!

And lets not pretend, as even when the team sheet gets announced, the en mass comments will start saying Bowyer has got it wrong, even if we go on to win
    Deji is a CB (a CB who Bowyer signed) and yet he thinks Pratley is a better option? That’s just odd, especially alongside Pearce as it’s slow. I do appreciate your optimism but I think Bowyer would have to murder your family for you to consider criticising him. 
  • Options
    Matthews really wasn't THAT bad, in fact I thought he largely did fine. Was certainly no Solly at left back type of performance where he was scared to venture over halfway.