Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    I hope TS either sacks him or backs him this week.
  • Options
    Bringing in a Danish manager would go down like a bag of cold sick. No chance
    Where somebody is from really should have no bearing what so ever , and that kind of discrimination from supporters should have no effect on decision making 
  • Options
    I really don't get why people think Sandgaard will be another RD with these comments about a Danish manager... He has shown not one attribute the same. 
  • Options
    I must be in the minority in thinking getting rid of LB is short-termism at its absolute worst. He did brilliantly getting us up, all those who say he had a great squad completely disregard the fact that there's been much better squads across all 4 divisions who are expected to do great things and don't. Having a great squad doesn't guarantee promotion and any manager getting promoted in their first full season as a manager deserves recognition.

Last season we came within a whisker of staying up despite being an absolute basket case of a club off the field. The job he did under those circumstances was first rate, and keeping us up would have been nothing short of incredible. In fact getting us to the last game of the season with a shot at staying up was some achievement in itself.

Has this season been great? No. I've watched the games  and I see the same things as everyone else we've been poor for a while now. I can understand those who are frustrated and we haven't been great to watch. Losses hurt no matter how they happen but I think there a little easier to accept when there's good football on display and there's been a lack of that in a lot of games this season.

Do I think LB deserves all the blame for that? No. I think recruitment has been hit and miss this season, however that was the hand we were dealt with the takeover issues and there were clearly some gambles, e.g Madison, that haven't paid off however we had to roll the dice and didn't have the backing we seemingly have now under TS. I also think we've had a terrible run of injuries, which have really derailed us. I also think there's been plenty of games we should have won and if we'd taken chances we'd probably be much higher up the table than we are.

Everyone has a view on the subject and there are clearly those who feel differently and feel LB should go, and that's the great part of football that everyone can see things differently. I don't think LB should be sacked and I think he should get a crack at next season, however I can understand the point of view of those who think he should go. However I do think some of the comments about LB are really unnecessary, the man is a legend in my eyes for what he's done and when the time comes for him to leave, whether it's today, the end of the season or 5 years time he deserves absolute respect from us for what he has done under really difficult circumstances at times.

His achievements and track record already show he's clearly a good manager and those saying he's inept or doesn't have a clue what he's doing I think are really off the mark, and some (not all) of the posts on here suggest there'll be some sort of celebratory feel if he goes which again I just find a little distasteful of someone who has achieved a lot for this club.

I do think we need a little perspective on where we were as a football club even a few months ago, we had been neglected at best for years and at worst asset stripped. Building us back to where we need to be is going to take substantial time and effort no matter how good TS intentions and how much money he is willing to throw at it, it won't all happen overnight. It's worth bearing in mind TS isn't the only owner in League One, or even League Two, who has ambition and the finances to match it and us having a great owner doesn't guarantee  that we'll walk the league.

I love his ambition and love that we finally have someone who wants success for this club, but I also think we need to be realistic in terms of what we can achieve and how quickly. Do people genuinely think Eddie Howe is going to come to us like I've seen suggested and spend his Tuesday night's at Accrington and Plymouth? 
    Where is he currently spending his evenings ? If I’m honest I can’t see it either but he’s available and not to ask of him the question only 100% guarantees he won’t be coming. 
  • Options
    If Lee Bowyer is such a legend, why are we struggling in League One mid-table?
  • Options
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    I must be in the minority in thinking getting rid of LB is short-termism at its absolute worst. He did brilliantly getting us up, all those who say he had a great squad completely disregard the fact that there's been much better squads across all 4 divisions who are expected to do great things and don't. Having a great squad doesn't guarantee promotion and any manager getting promoted in their first full season as a manager deserves recognition.

Last season we came within a whisker of staying up despite being an absolute basket case of a club off the field. The job he did under those circumstances was first rate, and keeping us up would have been nothing short of incredible. In fact getting us to the last game of the season with a shot at staying up was some achievement in itself.

Has this season been great? No. I've watched the games  and I see the same things as everyone else we've been poor for a while now. I can understand those who are frustrated and we haven't been great to watch. Losses hurt no matter how they happen but I think there a little easier to accept when there's good football on display and there's been a lack of that in a lot of games this season.

Do I think LB deserves all the blame for that? No. I think recruitment has been hit and miss this season, however that was the hand we were dealt with the takeover issues and there were clearly some gambles, e.g Madison, that haven't paid off however we had to roll the dice and didn't have the backing we seemingly have now under TS. I also think we've had a terrible run of injuries, which have really derailed us. I also think there's been plenty of games we should have won and if we'd taken chances we'd probably be much higher up the table than we are.

Everyone has a view on the subject and there are clearly those who feel differently and feel LB should go, and that's the great part of football that everyone can see things differently. I don't think LB should be sacked and I think he should get a crack at next season, however I can understand the point of view of those who think he should go. However I do think some of the comments about LB are really unnecessary, the man is a legend in my eyes for what he's done and when the time comes for him to leave, whether it's today, the end of the season or 5 years time he deserves absolute respect from us for what he has done under really difficult circumstances at times.

His achievements and track record already show he's clearly a good manager and those saying he's inept or doesn't have a clue what he's doing I think are really off the mark, and some (not all) of the posts on here suggest there'll be some sort of celebratory feel if he goes which again I just find a little distasteful of someone who has achieved a lot for this club.

I do think we need a little perspective on where we were as a football club even a few months ago, we had been neglected at best for years and at worst asset stripped. Building us back to where we need to be is going to take substantial time and effort no matter how good TS intentions and how much money he is willing to throw at it, it won't all happen overnight. It's worth bearing in mind TS isn't the only owner in League One, or even League Two, who has ambition and the finances to match it and us having a great owner doesn't guarantee  that we'll walk the league.

I love his ambition and love that we finally have someone who wants success for this club, but I also think we need to be realistic in terms of what we can achieve and how quickly. Do people genuinely think Eddie Howe is going to come to us like I've seen suggested and spend his Tuesday night's at Accrington and Plymouth? 

Could not disagree with anything that you have written. Excellent analysis and puts many of the short sighted and intellectually challenged posters on this thread in their place.

Harry Potter Wtf GIF by Sky
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I like LB and love what he did for us in the first 18 months and the passion he has expressed for the club. But - in my book, you don't become recognised as a good manager until you have done it consistently over a period of time and arrested slides and re-built sides time and again - alex ferguson, alan curbishley  or a warnock who has so many promotions under his belt and even Mourinhio - they have a formula that works. Dowie had a great 6 months at Palace but turned out to be crap - after you've bolloxed up in 3 successive jobs, that tends to be that. Bowyer is unproven in my book - he may go on to learn from his mistakes - possibly here, probably elsewhere or he may just drift off. Point is - there is a gamble if he is going to oversee a rebuild and the first 18 months isn't enough for me given the car crash that the last year has been - and i know all the mitigating circumstances. I hope TS puts him and us out of our misery and we appoint a proven operator. Chris Powell and Alan Curbishley would be the dream team for me - jacko can stay on as coach.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Bringing in a Danish manager would go down like a bag of cold sick. No chance
    I don’t give a monkeys what nationality any new man is. If he’s the right man for the job he can be Martian for all I care. My guess is he will be British.
    The chances of a manager coming from Mars are a million to one.
    Sandgaard is talking with NASA right now. I suppose you think the landing this week was just coincidence? 
    I understand that a Mr A Lien is on our shortlist.....
    Yeah. He’s my favourite Martian.
  • Options
    Come on @Dazzler21 spill the beans. You’ve piqued my interest with that ‘extremely outlandish’ rumour that you mentioned in your excellent post at 12.38pm. Have I missed something?
  • Options
    Come on @Dazzler21 spill the beans. You’ve piqued my interest with that ‘extremely outlandish’ rumour that you mentioned in your excellent post at 12.38pm. Have I missed something?
    I think it was the silly claim that others are interfering with team selection
  • Options

Could not disagree with anything that you have written. Excellent analysis and puts many of the short sighted and intellectually challenged posters on this thread in their place.

Our fanbase is unreal at times. 
  • Options
    I think it was the silly claim that others are interfering with team selection

Oh right, I was hoping there was something more salacious. As for the team selection thing I too think that it’s bollocks. Truly believe that LB is picking the team and that because he’s mentally shot it’s evidence of a drowning man clutching at a straw.
  • Options
    I love Chris Powell so this pains me to say it. What is the difference been him and Bowyer? Both achieved the same thing. Powell should never have been sack even with the poor performances at the time.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    “Intellectually challenged” - what a snobbish thing to say. 

Do one.
    Sorry I don’t understand...
    In that case,
    Careful with that axe Eugene.

🙂
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    I love Chris Powell so this pains me to say it. What is the difference been him and Bowyer? Both achieved the same thing. Powell should never have been sack even with the poor performances at the time.

Powell started off with a bad squad and got a good squad in the following season. Bowyer started with a good squad and now its a bad one and he is struggling.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!