Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has Bowyer lost it?

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    It seems you can criticise the players all you like and even call them unprofessional and rubbish as many Bowyer supporters have done, but you can't do the same to him if you believe he is the problem. 

I think the complete opposite is happening. ‘The players all are shit and this is only one persons fault’ 

the reality is a lot of people want him out for many different reasons. Your just all inadvertently contradict each other. 

This is a perfect example of finding it easy to point out negatives over any positives.

What positives?

What we are seeing on the pitch is not a direct result of anything that's happened over the last year off the pitch.  We can argue back and forth quite how good the players are, or aren't.  One thing we probably all can agree on is the players are better than a relegation battle to avoid the 4th tier.  Which if nothing changes, we will be in, in a few weeks time.

Even last season you could take the positives of the Doughty, Bonne and Philips cementing their places as 1st team players and becoming sellable assets (which this club has always relied upon).

We are going to go into the summer with even less players under contract than last summer. 
    Agreed, there's a real lack of saleable assets. Normally in a struggling team there's usually at least someone who's stepped up, but instead our best performers are loan players or out of contract.

The players we've signed on contracts beyond the summer - Washington, Gilbey, Gunter, Innis, DJ, Schwartz - none of them will have rival clubs fighting over them if we don't go up, either because of their injury record (Inniss) or their performances for us
    It's not the fact you want to sell them, this summer, it's the fact you want to build your team around them next season.

Even "doing a Powell" ment keeping Solly, Jackson and BWP in the first team and Doughty, Wagstaff and Benson as squad players at the start.  Plus the keeper situation didn't come to a head until the season stated so that would have been another player. 
  • Options
    Inniss hasn’t been in the team long enough to get shit 
    His injury record is worse than Johnny Williams's
  • Options
    The shit squad theory? Where does that come from?

Apart from Morgan,Matsaan,Millar and Schwartz all of them have shown proven ability at this level and higher.

It comes from it can't possibly be Bowyers fault.   
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    esseffect said:
    It seems you can criticise the players all you like and even call them unprofessional and rubbish as many Bowyer supporters have done, but you can't do the same to him if you believe he is the problem. 

I think the complete opposite is happening. ‘The players all are shit and this is only one persons fault’ 

the reality is a lot of people want him out for many different reasons. Your just all inadvertently contradict each other. 

This is a perfect example of finding it easy to point out negatives over any positives.

What positives?

What we are seeing on the pitch is not a direct result of anything that's happened over the last year off the pitch.  We can argue back and forth quite how good the players are, or aren't.  One thing we probably all can agree on is the players are better than a relegation battle to avoid the 4th tier.  Which if nothing changes, we will be in, in a few weeks time.

Even last season you could take the positives of the Doughty, Bonne and Philips cementing their places as 1st team players and becoming sellable assets (which this club has always relied upon).

We are going to go into the summer with even less players under contract than last summer. 
    Agreed, there's a real lack of saleable assets. Normally in a struggling team there's usually at least someone who's stepped up, but instead our best performers are loan players or out of contract.

The players we've signed on contracts beyond the summer - Washington, Gilbey, Gunter, Innis, DJ, Schwartz - none of them will have rival clubs fighting over them if we don't go up, either because of their injury record (Inniss) or their performances for us
    It's not the fact you want to sell them, this summer, it's the fact you want to build your team around them next season.

Even "doing a Powell" ment keeping Solly, Jackson and BWP in the first team and Doughty, Wagstaff and Benson as squad players at the start.  Plus the keeper situation didn't come to a head until the season stated so that would have been another player. 
    What I meant was that, while you don't want to sell your best players, it's a positive sign that other clubs would want to sign them, as that shows that your player recruitment AND development are working.

Brentford has consistently sold players at a big profit, both because their recruitment is very good, but also because they then improve them. How much value has Toney put on in 6 months?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    MuttleyCAFC said: hi
    Yes, I'd be ok if any of it was as isolated thing. Halo's can slip and it can be a learning point. We have all probably said things we regret at some point. If Bowyer came out and admitted he had got things wrong, said he was going to apologise to his players and create a fresh start, I would be ok too.

But I am looking at this from how players would look at it and I don't think our on the pitch issues can be pointed at them. Ultimately, Bowyer can't go out on the pitch with his coaching staff and win us any games. It is the team that can do that, and they are not a bad squad for League One. Top 6 easily.  
    For god sake Muttley, I can’t take any more of this without saying something. Why the apostrophe in halo’s?!

• Options
    edited March 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    MuttleyCAFC said: hi
    Yes, I'd be ok if any of it was as isolated thing. Halo's can slip and it can be a learning point. We have all probably said things we regret at some point. If Bowyer came out and admitted he had got things wrong, said he was going to apologise to his players and create a fresh start, I would be ok too.

But I am looking at this from how players would look at it and I don't think our on the pitch issues can be pointed at them. Ultimately, Bowyer can't go out on the pitch with his coaching staff and win us any games. It is the team that can do that, and they are not a bad squad for League One. Top 6 easily.  
    For god sake Muttley, I can’t take any more of this without saying something. Why the apostrophe in halo’s?!
    Maybe just a slip!

Sorry, thought it was funny at the time, :'(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s been out of it long enough to become a world beater though! 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    He’s been out of it long enough to become a world beater though! 
    Been out so long he is probably out of contract by now!!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    But I only wanted him out when he started being ultra negative and digging out players. I was very positive towards him before that.
    Quote button is your friend Mutts, hard to keep up with who you are responding to without the use of it. 
    Apologies. I don't think it is hard to work out the point I am making though whether you agree with it or not. :)
    For what it's worth Muttley I agree with your thoughts on this whole sordid mess... LB needs to go or relegation is a strong possibility.

I've always found your postings to be very balanced so I'm a bit gobsmacked at some of the comments made towards you but this is what supporting Charlton is like... A big family who don't always agree with each other but the love of the club doesn't change! 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    se9addick said:
    But I only wanted him out when he started being ultra negative and digging out players. I was very positive towards him before that.
    Quote button is your friend Mutts, hard to keep up with who you are responding to without the use of it. 
    Apologies. I don't think it is hard to work out the point I am making though whether you agree with it or not. :)
    For what it's worth Muttley I agree with your thoughts on this whole sordid mess... LB needs to go or relegation is a strong possibility.

I've always found your postings to be very balanced so I'm a bit gobsmacked at some of the comments made towards you but this is what supporting Charlton is like... A big family who don't always agree with each other but the love of the club doesn't change! 

I'm not bothered about it mate. I called this a few months back when we still had a chance of a winning season. The people trying to land the blows are the ostriches and it is usually the messenger these people aim at. It was the same with Southall. All good here, apart from one big fat wasted season that could unthinkably get worse.
  • Options
    Muttley intercepts and stops a DOUCHER hatrick unlucky 👎
    Perfectly timed tackle as i see it
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i propose we suspend the red red robin and introduce the players onto the pitch with the circus theme tune 
    Nay LEE the manager packed his trunk and said goodbye to the circus...etc etc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Meh
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I don't disagree with a lot of points you're making CE but think back to only two games ago, isn't the defensively solid formation how he set us up against Burton? We had seven defensive minded players in front of Amos and a front three of Millar, DJ & Stockley.

Burton still managed to score twice. Bowyer got slated for being too negative, worrying too much about what the opposition does and not thinking about what kind of problems we can cause them with our own players.
  • Options
    A question to those that think Bowyer is CURRENTLY doing a good job as manager.

If you have lost your two centre halves through injury and are shipping goals as a result, what would be the sensible thing to do to try and prevent teams scoring ?

Bowyer tried Gunter and Pratley but did not protect them sufficiently and it failed.

Eventually Pearce and Oshilaja returned from injury and he obviously knew their deficiencies, but he didn't protect them sufficiently either.

Famewo (not totally fit) returns to play alongside Oshilaja and he still offers them little protection.

I won't go back to November, because there is little point, but what he has done in the last 2 games?

Against Burton he played (attacking) wing back AND wingers And he had Oshilaja over lapping down the left wing. Effectively playing 3 left wingers and 2 right wingers and no protection for the centre backs, even though Oshilaja is shooting off down the left wing as well.

Against Blackpool he still plays 2 wingers (if you're doing that they have got to win you the game or it's a bit like playing with 9 men.

But no he compounds the weakness of 2 v 4 in midfield by playing Shinnie and Pratley.
    Shinnie can't tackle effectively and so Pratley is up to a point trying to stop 4 midfielders by himself.

Is it any wonder that Pratley was charging round the pitch like a lunatic desperately trying to stop Blackpool single handed and fouling all and sundry as a result?

Then when everyone could see Pratley was likely to get sent off, having had numerous warnings and a yellow card he didn't sub him.

I'll only touch on picking the wrong players and formation most games resulting in him making numerous substitutions EVERY game.

The Blackpool manager knew it, all the other managers knew it and even most of our fans can see it (not all).

The obvious answer is you make your team hard to beat you don't play wingers and wing backs and overlapping centre halves, you keep it tight, not wide open.

You play 3/4 in the middle and you defend from front to back with 2 banks of players in front of your defence, so that much of the time the opposition can't get at your weak defence.

It's so simple and yet 3 months later Bowyer continues to make matters worse each game.

Bowyer demonstrated he could manage good players when they were winning.
    But he has failed miserably in showing the slightest understanding that he can set up a team to defend as a team and protect his defence and keeper from players being able to shoot unchallenged every single game.

Quite honestly it is staggering after 3 months.  
    Good post. He possibly could give Millar a free role behind the front two of Aneke and Stockley at the Valley but effectively two in midfield is suicidal.
  • Options
    hatrick of posts for Cafc43v3r 👏👏👏
    In the old days of forums they'd take you out back and beat you with a hose for that
  • Options
    A question to those that think Bowyer is CURRENTLY doing a good job as manager.

If you have lost your two centre halves through injury and are shipping goals as a result, what would be the sensible thing to do to try and prevent teams scoring ?

Bowyer tried Gunter and Pratley but did not protect them sufficiently and it failed.

Eventually Pearce and Oshilaja returned from injury and he obviously knew their deficiencies, but he didn't protect them sufficiently either.

Famewo (not totally fit) returns to play alongside Oshilaja and he still offers them little protection.

I won't go back to November, because there is little point, but what he has done in the last 2 games?

Against Burton he played (attacking) wing back AND wingers And he had Oshilaja over lapping down the left wing. Effectively playing 3 left wingers and 2 right wingers and no protection for the centre backs, even though Oshilaja is shooting off down the left wing as well.

Against Blackpool he still plays 2 wingers (if you're doing that they have got to win you the game or it's a bit like playing with 9 men.

But no he compounds the weakness of 2 v 4 in midfield by playing Shinnie and Pratley.
    Shinnie can't tackle effectively and so Pratley is up to a point trying to stop 4 midfielders by himself.

Is it any wonder that Pratley was charging round the pitch like a lunatic desperately trying to stop Blackpool single handed and fouling all and sundry as a result?

Then when everyone could see Pratley was likely to get sent off, having had numerous warnings and a yellow card he didn't sub him.

I'll only touch on picking the wrong players and formation most games resulting in him making numerous substitutions EVERY game.

The Blackpool manager knew it, all the other managers knew it and even most of our fans can see it (not all).

The obvious answer is you make your team hard to beat you don't play wingers and wing backs and overlapping centre halves, you keep it tight, not wide open.

You play 3/4 in the middle and you defend from front to back with 2 banks of players in front of your defence, so that much of the time the opposition can't get at your weak defence.

It's so simple and yet 3 months later Bowyer continues to make matters worse each game.

Bowyer demonstrated he could manage good players when they were winning.
    But he has failed miserably in showing the slightest understanding that he can set up a team to defend as a team and protect his defence and keeper from players being able to shoot unchallenged every single game.

Quite honestly it is staggering after 3 months.  
    Good post. He possibly could give Millar a free role behind the front two of Aneke and Stockley at the Valley but effectively two in midfield is suicidal.
    Not for 4 games, possibly more if we get called out as making a frivolous appeal. Osei Sankofa style. 
  • Options
    True
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I'm not bothered about it mate. I called this a few months back when we still had a chance of a winning season. The people trying to land the blows are the ostriches and it is usually the messenger these people aim at. It was the same with Southall. All good here, apart from one big fat wasted season that could unthinkably get worse.
    This 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!