Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    Niclas Hougaard Hansen. Young, up-coming, winner, inexpensive. 
  • Options
    Not sure who I actually want installed, but I reckon Bowen is in with a shout 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Richard J said:
    Mark Bowen is the name I thought of when I heard the news. He loyally followed Mark Hughes around until recently and finally went his own way last year with Reading.When you consider the appalling start that the Royals had last season he did a good job in steadying them. Rich Cawley mentioned his name in the Podcast.

One thing I don't know is whether he gets on with Ged Roddy. Did Roddy get sacked by Reading? If so was Bowen part of that process?

He sort of ticks the box as an outsider although of course his ex player credentials trump Chris Wilder's. He is is a Charlton playoff winner. 
    I backed Bowen at 33/1 yesterday. Purely because of the Roddy connection. 
    "On 27 March 2019, Bowen was hired as a technical consultant for Reading. He was announced as the club's sporting director on 21 August, and succeeded José Gomes as manager on 14 October. Prior to being appointed manager he had been tasked with drawing up a shortlist of candidates for the job he eventually was offered"

"Roddy also had a spell as academy manager at Reading but left his post in November 2019." 

They weren't together very long although Roddy left not long after Bowen stopped being sporting director.  Would that have made Bowen his boss? 
    That was my point . They clearly know each other but is there bad blood between them ?
  • Options
    Lots of Bowen talk mainly I suspect because of GR and he have a previous history but in reality just how qualified is MB as a manager ? Wasn’t in charge at Reading very long was he ? 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    The official shortlist:

Michael Laudrup  - experienced, confident and Danish
    John Jensen- a football manager and Danish
    Hans Christian Andersen- creative, communicated well and Danish
    Mads Mikkelsen- acts the part, scary team talks and Danish
    Brigitte Nielsen- looks good and is Danish
    A Danish pastry- you get the idea...
    Allan Simonsen - Danish, ex Charlton, national team manager at the Faroes.
    Good call. Let me phone my bookmaker. 
  • Options
    I have no one in mind for our next manager but the more I think about it, the more I think they’ll go for someone like Michael Beale. He’s a young, up and coming coach, forward thinking creative and got Rangers playing some pretty decent football. I’m thinking they’ll be having an eye on how those type of coaches have progressed over the last few years. Graham Potter, Brendan Rodgers, Dean Smith spring to mind. These guys get their teams playing decent football and that’s what they’ll want for us. So, it probably won’t be Michael Beale but, IMO, it’ll be someone out of the same mould 
  • Options
    Just came to throw a name out there I haven't seen mentioned 

Thierry Henry

Young manager, respected in the game.

Had a difficult time at Monaco but did well at Montreal under very difficult circumstances and left to come back to London to be nearer his kids
    Welcome back @paulie8290

I don't think he would be right but I can see your thinking. He's high profile and if Thomas wants to make a statement in football...
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    See that Michael Laudrup is 4/1 this morning
    Not sure it means anything.

If a few bet on him because he’s a big name and Danish he moves up the list. Others then think they’re on to something and his odds shorten even more.
    These odds all look like they're pretty much cobbled together based on very little. When it all started it was just old Charlton names along with the usual suspects, and it hasn't really changed that much since. The fact is TS is not a known quantity in football, he hasn't really been around long enough (or even in the country) for that many insiders to have become aware of how he operates and he's never hired a manager before. There's nothing to base his hiring practices on and I doubt he's giving updates out on LinkedIn anymore. He could end up really surprising us
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    Come on lads you all wanted Bowyer out surely you had thought that through and decided who could take on the job after?
    Genuine question. Why do you post? You seem to hate everyone on here.
    I just find the whole situation rather funny. I don’t hate everyone, just the armchair football managers/owners 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    The way Thomas was talking yesterday it would appear they already know who they want.

My guess is JJ but I would prefer Euell. He has so much more experience in coaching and at the academy level it's all about playing decent football.

Whoever it is they will get the full backing from me.

Can't wait for tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    esseffect said:
    Come on lads you all wanted Bowyer out surely you had thought that through and decided who could take on the job after?
    Not true.

Not ALL of us wanted him out.

Silly comment looking for a reaction
    I was only addressing the comment at people who wanted him out
  • Options
    Tough one, i would say JJ until the end of the season. It doesn't matter as long as its the right man, it would be interesting if Powell was involved with Jacko, showed him the ropes? but thats just guesswork from me really. 

Brentford would be the model to follow, but i dont think thats easy, we just need someone who knows how to get promotion and someone who can change the game with his subs and find a way to win at all costs. 
  • Options
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:
    Not true.

Not ALL of us wanted him out.

Silly comment looking for a reaction
    I was only addressing the comment at people who wanted him out
    Still a silly comment. 
  • Options
    Lots of Bowen talk mainly I suspect because of GR and he have a previous history but in reality just how qualified is MB as a manager ? Wasn’t in charge at Reading very long was he ? 
    He did steady Reading last season and some Royals supporters felt that he laid the foundations for their improved form this season.

As Mark Hughes's long term number 2 he has operated at the top level for nearly twenty years and would have lots of contacts.
  • Options
    Deal was probably done before Lee Bowyer's departure - All it is now is probably just an announcement - No process or interviews for any candidates.  
  • Options
    E=mc2 said:
    Deal was probably done before Lee Bowyer's departure - All it is now is probably just an announcement - No process or interviews for any candidates.  
    Is that you Katrien   ???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    No idea but as Jim Bowen would say, Take your time and listen to Tony. 
    Burger Boy?

:-) 
  • Options
    The official shortlist:

Michael Laudrup  - experienced, confident and Danish
    John Jensen- a football manager and Danish
    Hans Christian Andersen- creative, communicated well and Danish
    Mads Mikkelsen- acts the part, scary team talks and Danish
    Brigitte Nielsen- looks good and is Danish
    A Danish pastry- you get the idea...
    Surely one of them could save our bacon..
  • Options
    How about another Curbs/Gritt scenario? 

Step forward messrs Pratley & Watson 🤣
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Looks like Frank Skinner
  • Options
    On Beale (who impresses me) I contemplate Les Reed who was/is a very good coach but not much of a manager.
    We shall see how everything turns out.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    On Beale (who impresses me) I contemplate Les Reed who was/is a very good coach but not much of a manager.
    We shall see how everything turns out.
    Yeah its the only thing I dont like about an unproven Manager from the U23s somewhere

They're going to be great at coaching the players

Yet how good are they at identifying new signings that'll strengthen us, of course they'd be working with Steve Gallen, or if he left his successor (if we kept that model), but like Bowyer they'd still have a say on who comes in
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Paul Elliott to issue a statement shortly stating his plans for the next manager 
    keep up @Chunes, he sold the club to a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!