Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So who / what do you want next?

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I can't be the only one who is amazed by the amount of Chris Wilder suggestions, as if it would be in any way remotely possible? 
    Why, if money is the only stumbling block TS has plenty to throw around. Had Wilder stayed at Sheff Utd (they will come good) he would have been in the Championship so it is only dropping down one league.

Sell him a vision, control on transfers, good owner. What's not to like. 
    I don't see much evidence of TS "throwing money around" and I have no problem with that. I would imagine Wilder would be looking for vastly more money than Bowyer was on. I think the mistake would be Jackson. Appoint Jackson I don't see a huge uptick in performance. Happy to be proved wrong of course.
  • Options
    I’d be happy with most of the names bandied around but side with those looking to TS to show evidence of his long term plan and ambition.

I’m not knocking TS in any way - I just think he now has a chance to top all the great stuff he’s done in the past few months with an exciting announcement. He does love the limelight and the news of his arrival this weekend smacks of more than a guy coming over to do some interviews.

The good natured appearance of LB’s departure bears the hallmark of someone managing the long term business. LB has a (currently) higher placed opportunity, TS has the chance to make a big change. No fall out - no pay out (at least publically). 

As ever I’m not in the know but this win-win does seem to have been impeccably handled. I only hope the next appointment has a chance to turn things round for the remainder of this season as I’d much rather see a scramble to put together a Championship side than a League 1 promotion side.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    lonman said:
    cafctom said:
    I can't be the only one who is amazed by the amount of Chris Wilder suggestions, as if it would be in any way remotely possible? 
    Why, if money is the only stumbling block TS has plenty to throw around. Had Wilder stayed at Sheff Utd (they will come good) he would have been in the Championship so it is only dropping down one league.

I don't see much evidence of TS "throwing money around" and I have no problem with that. I would imagine Wilder would be looking for vastly more money than Bowyer was on. I think the mistake would be Jackson. Appoint Jackson I don't see a huge uptick in performance. Happy to be proved wrong of course.
    He's already spent £500k on Schwartz and Jaiyesimi

Not great sums in the game now, but equally reckon a lot of clubs at this level and below would love that sort of budget to spend on players
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think a single person mentioned Beale until those tweets last night and now suddenly most wants to give it to him.. based on what exactly? 
    You understand people can do research and then come to an opinion?

I had never heard of him until yesterday but after reading more about him, i'd be more than happy if he was given the chance. 

• Options
    Oh dear.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    E=mc2 said:
    Deal was probably done before Lee Bowyer's departure - All it is now is probably just an announcement - No process or interviews for any candidates.  
    Is that you Katrien   ???
    Absolutely not - She is out this morning, buying new shoes - Watch this space!
  • Options
    I still think Katrien could do a job for us....
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    I don’t think a single person mentioned Beale until those tweets last night and now suddenly most wants to give it to him.. based on what exactly? 
    He's got a fish and chip shop in Walford.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    On Beale (who impresses me) I contemplate Les Reed who was/is a very good coach but not much of a manager.
    We shall see how everything turns out.
    Yeah its the only thing I dont like about an unproven Manager from the U23s somewhere

They're going to be great at coaching the players

Yet how good are they at identifying new signings that'll strengthen us, of course they'd be working with Steve Gallen, or if he left his successor (if we kept that model), but like Bowyer they'd still have a say on who comes in
    I agree but the last two managers who got us out of this league had no management experience.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Addick_8 said:
    He's got a fish and chip shop in Walford.
    Now I get it!
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    You understand people can do research and then come to an opinion?

I had never heard of him until yesterday but after reading more about him, i'd be more than happy if he was given the chance. 
    Come on now... New Charlton Life rule is that opinions cannot change, no matter what happens. 

Your first opinion must remain and it's unacceptable to change it. 
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    I’d love it if the likes of Laudrup Henry or Lampard came in. Surely our players would be keen to impress
    Being keen to impress and being able to I'm not so sure.

• Options
    My preference would be either Wilder or Howe, both unlikely, but given some financial clout, suspect both would have the confidence that they could build successfully with Charlton over a shortish timeframe. Have little doubt in Thomas’ capability to sell the dream.

Realistically, Cowley or Bowen could get it. 

I hope JJ stays on as coach, but in some respects hold him in such high regard, I wouldn’t want his reputation with the fans damaged if he were not to succeed with us as manager. Would rather him learn elsewhere in time then manage us successfully down the line.
  • Options
    lonman said:
    cafctom said:

He's already spent £500k on Schwartz and Jaiyesimi

Not great sums in the game now, but equally reckon a lot of clubs at this level and below would love that sort of budget to spend on players
    It was covered by incomings though
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Scoham said:
    TS on what he wants:

- Attacking football
    - A creative midfield
    - Develop players for us, not just for their careers
    - Use the academy, with a steady flow of talent coming through

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-outlines-what-he-wants-from-next-charlton-athletic-manager/
    Even TS hates Pratley & Watson 
    Cause they cut in front of him in the pension line..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    esseffect said:
    esseffect said:
    Come on lads you all wanted Bowyer out surely you had thought that through and decided who could take on the job after?
    Genuine question. Why do you post? You seem to hate everyone on here.
    I just find the whole situation rather funny. I don’t hate everyone, just the armchair football managers/owners 
    Are you not annoyed at the lack of loyalty of Bowyer walking out on us then ?

you cant have it both ways and criticise those who thought Bowyer should be replaced as showing no loyalty and then not criticise Bowyer for walking out on us.

• Options
    Scoham said:
    TS on what he wants:

- Attacking football
    - A creative midfield

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-outlines-what-he-wants-from-next-charlton-athletic-manager/
    This comment was interesting as it implies he was more impressed with the team we had BEFORE the January window

“As you know already we are a team who play attacking football and I’d like to get even more emphasis on a very creative midfield that can create chances – I think we had that in the fall,”

• Options
    if we are promoting internally, it would be Jason Euell for me if it's external I really don't know, could do worse than Daniel Stendel.

some out of work managers I really don't want us to go anywhere near are Monk, Harris or Lennon
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Scoham said:
    TS on what he wants:

- Attacking football
    - A creative midfield

This comment was interesting as it implies he was more impressed with the team we had BEFORE the January window

“As you know already we are a team who play attacking football and I’d like to get even more emphasis on a very creative midfield that can create chances – I think we had that in the fall,”
    Yep Autumn/Fall was mid-September to mid-December, I think he was simply acknowledging we looked better in Autumn. 

Autumn/Fall Period:
    Played 18, W9, D5, L4. (32pts 1.77 PPG)

GWDate TeamH/AResult
    112/09CreweA3
    219/09DoncasterH0
    327/09LincolnA0
    403/10SunderlandH1
    617/10WiganH3
    720/10BlackpoolA3
    824/10NorthamptonA3
    927/10OxfordH3
    1031/10PortsmouthA3
    1103/11FleetwoodH3
    1321/11GillinghamA1
    1424/11BurtonA0
    528/11IpswichA3
    1502/12MK DonsH0
    1605/12ShrewsburyA1
    1712/12AFC WimbledonH3
    1919/12SwindonA1
    2026/12PlymouthH1

Since Autumn/Fall
    P17, W5, D5, L7 (20pts 1.17 PPG)

2202/01HullA0
    2308/01AccringtonH0
    1212/01RochdaleH1
    2416/01Bristol RA3
    2119/01PeterboroughA0
    2523/01SwindonH1
    2626/01MK DonsA3
    2702/02PortsmouthH0
    2806/02RochdaleA3
    2913/02GillinghamH0
    3020/02FleetwoodA1
    3123/02BurtonH0
    3227/02BlackpoolH0
    3302/03WiganA3
    3406/03OxfordA1
    3509/03NorthamptonH3
    3613/03ShrewsburyH1

If a new manager gets 9-10 games at least we can know they will have a good idea of who/what they want/need to improve us. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    TS on what he wants:

- Attacking football
    - A creative midfield

Bowyer was definitely gone in the summer it looks like then. 
  • Options

Yup, think that TS will have been secretly pleased that LB resigned and that he may even get compo from Birmingham rather than having to pay up his contract if he wanted to sack LB.

The next appointment will be interesting if he truly wants to develop from the Academy, but is there enough talent there to get us out of this division or even further just in the next couple of years?

• Options
    Come on guys, the clues are all there to follow. Just starting out in management, experience in football admin, free flowing entertainment guaranteed, rock guitarist, Charlton hero, and Danish! I give you...

Lump on people, you know its happening. 

• Options
    Sounding like JJ will be given the reigns at least until end of season.
  • Options
    Sounding like JJ will be given the reigns at least until end of season.
    Why, where did you hear that?
  • Options
    The official shortlist:

Michael Laudrup  - experienced, confident and Danish
    John Jensen- a football manager and Danish
    Hans Christian Andersen- creative, communicated well and Danish
    Mads Mikkelsen- acts the part, scary team talks and Danish
    Brigitte Nielsen- looks good and is Danish
    A Danish pastry- you get the idea...
    You obviously haven’t seen Brigitte Nielsen recently
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!