Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nigel Adkins - confirmed as permanent Tranmere manager (p52)

Comments

• Not much praise for Powell from Hayes on his former managers.
  • edited March 2021
    clive said:
    This is proving such a positive early day pick up, and well done for the Prostate charity, thanks @clive posting from Twitter, keep it up if possible, wondering if this could become a regular update on the OS, could prove a good insight into the day to day running from Sparrows or after match day, just a thought.
  • I love listening to Nigel, always good to hear someone positive, just heard my aunt has passed away, good to keep peoples spirits up.
  • I love listening to Nigel, always good to hear someone positive, just heard my aunt has passed away, good to keep peoples spirits up.
    My condolences for your loss.
  • Not much praise for Powell from Hayes on his former managers.
    Powell dropped him for Yann.
  • edited March 2021
    I agree that Adkins should absolutely be positive with the players. He is at the start of what we all hope will be a successful journey and I am happy with the appointment. But personally, any positive statements aimed at us fans  I am not that interested in at this point. Win a few games on the bounce and then I will be.

If we play at the levels we have been, we are not getting promoted, but if we improve by 5% we could well do. That is what I am hoping to see starting from next Friday.
  • From interview with Richard CawleyPaul Hayes reckons that Nigel Adkins was the best manager he had in his playing career.

“The last time he coached in League One is when he got us [Scunthorpe] promoted in the play-offs."

He left Scunthorpe when they were in the Championship, for Southampton in League One.

• Sponsored links:

• Maybe, just maybe Adkins sees the task that has been set out as easier than we do... You know being a professional in the game. Maybe he rates what he sees in training above what we have been getting on match days? 

Maybe he believes these players can do it, and if they can't he will have the budget to buy a team that can in the summer. 
  • I refuse to believe Adkins is that positive all the time, especially now he knows the size of the task he's taken on.

I reckon he goes home, kicks the cat & cries himself to sleep
    Is it that big a task?

Nothing really expected this year, and I'd expect he'll get decent backing in the summer.
  • I refuse to believe Adkins is that positive all the time, especially now he knows the size of the task he's taken on.

I reckon he goes home, kicks the cat & cries himself to sleep

I have to say, it kind of grates on me a little. Probably says more about me than him but... relentlessly positive people - I just find them a bit irritating after a while, I'm all for enthusiasm, but I just find there is a point where it can become a bit disingenuous, somehow. I can imagine some players will absolutely buy into and would follow him off a cliff, but I could see a lot of others not buying into it at all. Whoever it was posted the 'Fast Show' clip of Paul Whitehouse's "Brilliant!" character nailed it.

There is of course a middle ground between this and Bowyer's constant pointing out of negatives, even when giving praise.

As always, the personality of any signings Adkin's makes as much as their ability levels, will be key to whether or not he is a success, imho.

I agree, it makes me cringe.

• Feels a very good fit for a community club. We just need points on board so it all remains positive. 
  • It's different to Bowyer that's fair to say
  • Sponsored links:

• Positive talking.
  • Fellas been here 2 weeks, I'm happy to embrace positivity for a few weeks before it all goes to shit next season.

Jesus chirst 
  • edited March 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    What a miserable bunch we have on here. :(
    Present company excepted of course!
  • He's a bit cringe - but it's a nice cringe. Great to have a sense of positivity in his position than be a doom and gloom merchant.
  • Chunes said:
    Don't find him cringe because it comes across as authentic. I work in advertising and a lot of agencies try to have a 'Positivity' culture while being run by complete sociopaths.

With Nigel I just feel like that's genuinely the way he is.
    As do I ... I’m sure he really is like that.  
  • Didn’t look so chipper in the post match interview last Saturday.
  • WSS said:
    We’re literally seeing 2 minutes of him.

I very much doubt he is constantly like his Twitter vids for the remaining 1438 minutes of the day.

Does it matter? He is making the effort. I wonder why some have a problem with that. (I'm not suggesting you do).