Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    A whole day of mourning? What does that involve? Does the public have to wear black and pray all day?

The funeral is a private affair with no spectators. All the matches have no spectators. Heaven forbid if we watch a comedy show instead and laugh that day.

Traditionally mourning can involve expression through art and music. Why not football?
    Prince Philip encouraged physical exercise with his award scheme.

September 6th 1997 was Princess Diana's funeral and I went to a wedding. Pay respect but life goes on.

I worked at a wedding two hours after Diana's funeral and it was a really flat Atmosphere; more tea Vicar.

When anyone reaches 99, I don't understand mourning, when you should celebrate their life.
    Sport, music, art, and in Prince Phillips's case telling un-PC jokes for the day.
    Sorry - commenting again, but I am claiming fey-knights as it's a different subject  ;) , we were at a wedding in Dulwich that day, and everyone had a whale of a time. I think anyone who wanted to grieve a releative stranger had done so in the previous six days since her death.     
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    That’s the best outcome of this silly situation, hopefully inconveniences Ipswich a bit too. 
    Presume they’ll be rushing to book hotel rooms now, otherwise that’s a very early start for players. Although maybe they were already staying in local hotel. 
    they are only coming from Ipswich!....
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    That’s the best outcome of this silly situation, hopefully inconveniences Ipswich a bit too. 
    Presume they’ll be rushing to book hotel rooms now, otherwise that’s a very early start for players. Although maybe they were already staying in local hotel. 
    it's 80 miles FFS.

Can probably leave Ipswich at 9.00am and still be at The Valley a couple of hours before kick off.
    I wasn’t even considering the drive time. It’s the players preparation. For early kick offs, players have to eat there prematch meal very early. To do that, travel to the pick up point from home (I don’t know if all Ipswich players live close to the ground) travel to us, and then be in best mind etc for a game. To do all of that and want to be on the pitch warming up in full kit by 11:30, I just thought they’d prefer a local hotel to make some of the above easier on players. 
    think we are in danger of 'overthinking' this, it's taken me 90 mins to drive to Selhurst before...are we saying that the team should stay overnight to travel 7 miles.

a moved kick off is a 'minor' inconvenience, just means shifting things about a bit. They can have a nice breakfast at their training ground, leave at 9 and be at the Valley before 11....they can even have a snack on their luxury coach on the way if they want
  • Options
    Also 

Hull City’s final match of the League One season away to Charlton Athletic has been rearranged for Sunday 9th May, kick-off 12 noon.
    Doesnt surprise me, last game of the season always gets moved in the top three tiers for TV Coverage
  • Options
    Also 

Hull City’s final match of the League One season away to Charlton Athletic has been rearranged for Sunday 9th May, kick-off 12 noon.
    I assume the whole division has been moved

Good news for us as we have a Tuesday game and Hull don't, so it'll give us an extra day to recover

Good news too if any team has to squeeze in a  Thursday game...
  • Options
    Also 

Doesnt surprise me, last game of the season always gets moved in the top three tiers for TV Coverage
    Yes - nice to know in plenty of time, fair play to the EFL/Sky on this occasion. 
  • Options
    F1 qualifying is 1-2pm on saturday according to sky sports ;(
    Works out really well for me - Get to watch Charlton v Ipswich @ 12:30pm

Then @ 3pm I've got the Formula One Qualifying at Imola, dont have to worry about watching both at the same time now :)

qualifying is at 1-2 pm according to sky sports f1 TV guide
    Looks like its 2-3pm, I checked incorrectly as when I initially went on Formula1.com I was looking at the local time

https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2021/EmiliaRomagna.html
  • Options
    Was hoping for Friday night or late Saturday. 

Spare a thought for those of us who would usually be waking up for a 7-9am kick off but instead will have to be awake at 4-6am. Same for Hull now too. Brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Nice. Gonna spend the funeral arguing about player marks
    You'll be devastated when Huw Edwards on TV criticises Maatsen

• Options
    What happens when the Queen passes away? What if it was to happen during a major tournament? I would imagine the coverage and schedule changes to TV would be even more than we've had for Phillip. Would England games not be televised? Would they even play any games?

Before anyone gets offended I'm not implying that we shouldn't show mourning for the queen, just interested in this scenario what the protocol is.
  • Options
    Bugger, was due to test drive a new car at midday.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    One thing, why do royalist get so angry that not everyone is obsessed with the royal family? Reminds me of religious people hating atheists.

I am sad he is gone and would much rather he hadn’t but am I more sad than the numerous other deaths that occurred on the same day to people younger and who lead less full lives? No is the answer.
    This. I'd count myself as Pro Royal, but not anywhere near the same league as the royalists on social media, or this forum. 

The coverage on Friday was hugely OTT, and carried on into Saturday. Channels regurgitating the same clips over and over, definite misjudgement on the general public's appetite for it. 

If they want to do a day of mourning, stick it on a weekday and give everyone an extra bank holiday. Seems bizarre to do it on a weekend. 
    Harry needs to quarantine for 5 days for starters.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    On the point of protocol, back when I was at uni I signed up for student radio during Fresher's Week.  And on the training day they told us what to do if the queen were to die while we were live! We were to go off the air immediately and run a pre-recorded show. Never forgotten that part. Have forgotten everything else. 
  • Options
    I suspect there's a high chance the Hull game could be 1 of the (usual) 2 selected for Sky Coverage and therefore not available on VP
  • Options
    I suspect there's a high chance the Hull game could be 1 of the (usual) 2 selected for Sky Coverage and therefore not available on VP
    Lincoln v Wimbledon would be a good one to show

One team fighting for Play-Offs the other trying to avoid relegation.

Other than Doncaster v Peterborough its quite a nothing end to the season in terms of both teams battling for something 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    Spot on. Nicholas Witchell the other day stated "the amount of programing on the Duke shows how much he was loved by this country", no it wasn't any of our choice it was forced on us. It will be the same with the funeral, millions of football fans won't be able to watch football I imagine a large portion who are not fussed either way about the royals will put it on then we'll have people pointing to the viewing figures as proof the royals are loved. 
    There are other possibilities on a Saturday afternoon to watching TV.

Try reading books, or take a walk and look at some statues in town.

Many old revered books will soon be going out of publication because of 'values' that are also being 'forced on us' so read them while you still can. 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    What happens when the Queen passes away? What if it was to happen during a major tournament? I would imagine the coverage and schedule changes to TV would be even more than we've had for Phillip. Would England games not be televised? Would they even play any games?

Before anyone gets offended I'm not implying that we shouldn't show mourning for the queen, just interested in this scenario what the protocol is.
    You control the controllables.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're at home so they'll still be able to do a VP production for season ticket holders
  • Options
    Anyone got a list or link of times and fixtures rearranged for this weekend.
    Trying to sort my last man standing out. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    it's 80 miles FFS.

Can probably leave Ipswich at 9.00am and still be at The Valley a couple of hours before kick off.
    Have to navigate either the queue on the Dartford Bridge with all the non-essential Bluewater shoppers or  the dodgy Blackwall Tunnel with the East End crowds all wanting to go out for the day.
  • Options
    Stop being a bunch of wet lettuces...

Phil the Greek is getting planted at 3 on Saturday, watch it if you want.

I will watch it in some form/media, as it is a historical moment for our Nation and i am a royalist out of gratitude to him and Liz and their steadfast dedication to my country, its traditions, institutions and its people. The rest of that lot can go do one in my opinion, i don't like them and the institution itself will fade into obscurity once HRH passes.

Or do not watch. 

Some of us are so affronted at any perceived swipe at our rights and abilities to watch two third rate football teams play substandard football at a certain time of day in a souless empty stadium?

"come on...really?" 

I suspect the majority of complaint is from people with a dislike of anything connected with the institution itself.

It is numbers game as well.  I would put money on it being a close run thing and  that there are more Royalists not interested in football in any format than people who follow it and rage over a game of football being played on a Saturday at 3 on social media.

Anyway, rant over and at least i got to use the term wet lettuce, twice.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    they are only coming from Ipswich!....
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    it's 80 miles FFS.

I wasn’t even considering the drive time. It’s the players preparation. For early kick offs, players have to eat there prematch meal very early. To do that, travel to the pick up point from home (I don’t know if all Ipswich players live close to the ground) travel to us, and then be in best mind etc for a game. To do all of that and want to be on the pitch warming up in full kit by 11:30, I just thought they’d prefer a local hotel to make some of the above easier on players. 
    I saw on Ben Fosters youtube channel that Watford stay in a hotel the night before homegames, whats that about? Well OTT.
  • Options
    Stop being a bunch of wet lettuces...

Phil the Greek is getting planted at 3 on Saturday, watch it if you want.

I will watch it in some form/media, as it is a historical moment for our Nation and i am a royalist out of gratitude to him and Liz and their steadfast dedication to my country, its traditions, institutions and its people. The rest of that lot can go do one in my opinion, i don't like them and the institution itself will fade into obscurity once HRH passes.

Or do not watch. 

Some of us are so affronted at any perceived swipe at our rights and abilities to watch two third rate football teams play substandard football at a certain time of day in a souless empty stadium?

"come on...really?" 

I suspect the majority of complaint is from people with a dislike of anything connected with the institution itself.

It is numbers game as well.  I would put money on it being a close run thing and  that there are more Royalists not interested in football in any format than people who follow it and rage over a game of football being played on a Saturday at 3 on social media.

Anyway, rant over and at least i got to use the term wet lettuce, twice.

The plural for lettuce is lettuci.
  • Options
    Streaming Passes are now available for the Ipswich game

https://booking.cafc.co.uk/en-GB/categories/streaming-vouchers - If you want to use CAFC Cash
    https://charltonafcpayments.streamamg.com/account/register/step1 - If you dont use CAFC Cash
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I can understand a period of national mourning for the head of state that would mean disruption to the life of the country. I wouldn’t necessarily like it but I’d accept it as part of the life of the country.

It’s doing it for other royals that gets me angry.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    Spot on. Nicholas Witchell the other day stated "the amount of programing on the Duke shows how much he was loved by this country", no it wasn't any of our choice it was forced on us. It will be the same with the funeral, millions of football fans won't be able to watch football I imagine a large portion who are not fussed either way about the royals will put it on then we'll have people pointing to the viewing figures as proof the royals are loved. 
    There are other possibilities on a Saturday afternoon to watching TV.

Try reading books, or take a walk and look at some statues in town.

Many old revered books will soon be going out of publication because of 'values' that are also being 'forced on us' so read them while you still can. 

Being forced on us said with no irony whatsoever.

And yes I am aware there are things to do other than watching TV, in fact I had plans for morning/lunchtime next Saturday, so I can either now miss the game or face the wrath of Mrs 3rd when I say I can't make them.