Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Nice. Gonna spend the funeral arguing about player marks
    If the Venn diagram of our moaniest fans crosses over with our staunchest royalists it might be a serene post-match thread
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    Spot on. Nicholas Witchell the other day stated "the amount of programing on the Duke shows how much he was loved by this country", no it wasn't any of our choice it was forced on us. It will be the same with the funeral, millions of football fans won't be able to watch football I imagine a large portion who are not fussed either way about the royals will put it on then we'll have people pointing to the viewing figures as proof the royals are loved. 
    There are other possibilities on a Saturday afternoon to watching TV.

Try reading books, or take a walk and look at some statues in town.

Many old revered books will soon be going out of publication because of 'values' that are also being 'forced on us' so read them while you still can. 

Being forced on us said with no irony whatsoever.

And yes I am aware there are things to do other than watching TV, in fact I had plans for morning/lunchtime next Saturday, so I can either now miss the game or face the wrath of Mrs 3rd when I say I can't make them.
    No brainer, face the wrath every time.
  • Options
    I'm surprised Oxford would schedule their game against the big FA Cup match on BBC1
  • Options
    Mametz said:
    No-one is asking you to stop doing what you want to do. Whatever time is chosen will not please someone. Millions of people do want to watch the funeral.
    I am being stopped from doing what I want to do. I want to watch the game on Saturday but I am prevented from being able do so. I wanted to watch BBC4 on Friday but I was prevented from doing so. etc etc.

If you want to watch the funeral on Saturday, fine, that’s your choice. What I resent is being prevented from exercising my choice in doing or seeing what I want.

An elderly much loved and respected member of my wife’s family is gravely ill at the moment and is expected do die soon. When she dies I insist that you don’t watch any television or, god forbid, any football on the day of her funeral. 
    @Mametz - you are not being prevented from watching the game on Saturday as there is no game.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    colthe3rd said:
    What happens when the Queen passes away? What if it was to happen during a major tournament? I would imagine the coverage and schedule changes to TV would be even more than we've had for Phillip. Would England games not be televised? Would they even play any games?

Before anyone gets offended I'm not implying that we shouldn't show mourning for the queen, just interested in this scenario what the protocol is.
    I read somewhere, a year or so ago, that there are already plans in place for when The Queen dies, and I'm sure it said there will be 3 days of National Mourning. This is where everything shuts and programs on TV and radio are pre planned.
    Like I said, it's at least a year or so since I read it so it may have changed.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    What happens when the Queen passes away? What if it was to happen during a major tournament? I would imagine the coverage and schedule changes to TV would be even more than we've had for Phillip. Would England games not be televised? Would they even play any games?

Before anyone gets offended I'm not implying that we shouldn't show mourning for the queen, just interested in this scenario what the protocol is.
    I read somewhere, a year or so ago, that there are already plans in place for when The Queen dies, and I'm sure it said there will be 3 days of National Mourning. This is where everything shuts and programs on TV and radio are pre planned.
    Read upthread. Forth Road Bridge or Golden Gate Bridge I think is the code word.  All been mapped out & just ready to push the button. 
  • Options
    Anyone got a list or link of times and fixtures rearranged for this weekend.
    Trying to sort my last man standing out. 
    Going by the club twitter accounts...

Friday 16th April 2021 @ 7pm
    Peterborough v Northampton

Saturday 17th April 2021 @ 12:30pm
    Blackpool v Sunderland
    Bristol Rovers v Lincoln City
    Burton Albion v Plymouth Argyle
    Charlton v Ipswich
    Hull City v Fleetwood
    Milton Keynes v Portsmouth
    Rochdale v Accrington
    Shrewsbury v Doncaster
    Wigan v Crewe

Saturday 17th April 2021 @ 5:30pm
    Oxford v Gillingham

TBC
    AFC Wimbledon v Swindon
    Updated to fix the TBC's... Just the one game to be confirmed now
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
    Play the game on Sunday, simple.
     Why change the game? 

Why can't both events occur at the same time?

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
    Why was football not played on the day of Diana's funeral?
  • Options
    not difficult to just move all games to 5pm/5.30pm/7pm....whatever really
    Or on a Sunday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
     Why change the game? 

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
    I think it was an international weekend, as I went to the pub to watch the Ireland game that afternoon.
  • Options
    Now that’s all sorted, do we get a day off?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

That might be the plan, but if she had died a year ago at the height of the first Covid outbreak, no way would they have dropped everything  else on TV
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Mametz said:
    No-one is asking you to stop doing what you want to do. Whatever time is chosen will not please someone. Millions of people do want to watch the funeral.
    I am being stopped from doing what I want to do. I want to watch the game on Saturday but I am prevented from being able do so. I wanted to watch BBC4 on Friday but I was prevented from doing so. etc etc.

If you want to watch the funeral on Saturday, fine, that’s your choice. What I resent is being prevented from exercising my choice in doing or seeing what I want.

An elderly much loved and respected member of my wife’s family is gravely ill at the moment and is expected do die soon. When she dies I insist that you don’t watch any television or, god forbid, any football on the day of her funeral. 
    @Mametz - you are not being prevented from watching the game on Saturday as there is no game.

The problem is that I have a funeral to go to at 12:30 on Saturday.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    That’s the best outcome of this silly situation, hopefully inconveniences Ipswich a bit too. 
    Presume they’ll be rushing to book hotel rooms now, otherwise that’s a very early start for players. Although maybe they were already staying in local hotel. 
    it's 80 miles FFS.

Can probably leave Ipswich at 9.00am and still be at The Valley a couple of hours before kick off.
    I'd assume they have a special kind of coach to do 80 miles in 90 minutes on a Saturday morning, even in lockdown.

In reality you could do it leaving now, but probably not at 9am on a Saturday. Leaving at 7:30/8:30 wouldn't exactly be putting their players out though.

It'll be a couple of hours drive. 

• Options
    Rob said:
    Perfect. 12:30 works better for me. 4:30 here in California. I’m flying to Hawaii that day for a week’s break so I’ll be able to watch the stream before I leave for the airport. I know I know life’s a bitch but them’s the breaks.  :#
    Disrespectful to be travelling during a funeral, sorry you'll have to cancel that flight.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Mametz said:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

I think it was an international weekend, as I went to the pub to watch the Ireland game that afternoon.
    Correct.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    It was an international weekend but there were Football League games scheduled, including for Charlton. Matches that weren’t postponed due to call-ups were called off for the funeral.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    110,000 complaints about the BBC programming on Friday - the most ever about anything, apparently.
  • Options
    Will there be another two minute silence for the Duke before the game again?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    colthe3rd said:

Read upthread. Forth Road Bridge or Golden Gate Bridge I think is the code word.  All been mapped out & just ready to push the button. 
    Forth Bridge (not the road bridge). The Queen is London Bridge and the QM was the Tay Bridge
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Forth Bridge (not the road bridge). The Queen is London Bridge and the QM was the Tay Bridge
    Is Prince Andrew a footbridge in Thamesmead?
    If so then Prince Edward is the Greenwich foot tunnel. 
  • Options
    Anyone got a list or link of times and fixtures rearranged for this weekend.
    Trying to sort my last man standing out. 
    Going by the club twitter accounts...

Friday 16th April 2021 @ 7pm
    Peterborough v Northampton

Saturday 17th April 2021 @ 12:30pm
    Blackpool v Sunderland
    Bristol Rovers v Lincoln City
    Burton Albion v Plymouth Argyle
    Charlton v Ipswich
    Hull City v Fleetwood
    Milton Keynes v Portsmouth
    Rochdale v Accrington
    Shrewsbury v Doncaster
    Wigan v Crewe

Saturday 17th April 2021 @ 5:30pm
    Oxford v Gillingham
    AFC Wimbledon v Swindon
    Updated to fix the TBC's... Just the one game to be confirmed now
    AFC Wimbledon v Swindon stops the Oxford game from getting lonely by also having a 5:30pm KO, so full list in the original post
  • Options
    I'm surprised Oxford would schedule their game against the big FA Cup match on BBC1
    Yes, I'm pleased we didn't choose that time. I would like to watch the FA Cup semi final although I would have preferred the other match.

My favourite choice would have been Friday evening; in fact I would prefer that for all matches seeing as there are no fans anyway.