Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    One thing, why do royalist get so angry that not everyone is obsessed with the royal family? Reminds me of religious people hating atheists.

I am sad he is gone and would much rather he hadn’t but am I more sad than the numerous other deaths that occurred on the same day to people younger and who lead less full lives? No is the answer.
    Im a raging royalist but I don’t care a fig if others are not similarly that way inclined (unless they are disrespectful or nasty towards it). 

I think the press coverage was OTT but that’s solely down to TV executives and newspaper editors. All that coverage and print would have been planned, prepared or drafted probably years in advance. 

I think the Royal Family should determine when the funeral should be whenever they want, and if it’s thought by sporting bodies to move clashes as a mark of respect, so be it. There is no catering or financial implications with sport at the moment so it’s an easy shift. 

To repeat though, anything OTT around this is being driven by TV execs and newsroom editors. 
    I don’t think it matters that the matches are moved, solely because people can’t go at the moment anyway. They’re not being moved at 24 hours’ notice and nobody’s transport travel plans will be disrupted. It makes no odds when we play.

However, you are quite wrong about the TV coverage. It has nothing to do with TV executives. It’s all part of a big book of protocol that also instructs local authorities what to do. Some of it has gone out of the window because of Covid, but a lot of things are being dictated from the centre. The BBC was acting on long established and agreed protocol by unifying its TV and radio channels.

I think the problem is the protocol no longer reflects the nation we are or the media we have. There is no point whatsoever in five BBC channels pumping out the same thing and ITV its own version when there were dozens of commercial channels on satellite carrying on as per usual plus all the on-demand services. BBC One and the News channel would have been understood by everyone. 
    Agreed. 

We learn, we refine and we move on. 

Sadly there will inevitably be other high profile scenarios in the future that require similar considerations. 
  • Options
    If you’ve never read this before, it’s worth reading now

what happens when London Bridge falls down. DoE was Forth Bridge 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Huskaris said:
    One thing, why do royalist get so angry that not everyone is obsessed with the royal family? Reminds me of religious people hating atheists.

I am sad he is gone and would much rather he hadn’t but am I more sad than the numerous other deaths that occurred on the same day to people younger and who lead less full lives? No is the answer.
    Im a raging royalist but I don’t care a fig if others are not similarly that way inclined (unless they are disrespectful or nasty towards it). 

I think the press coverage was OTT but that’s solely down to TV executives and newspaper editors. All that coverage and print would have been planned, prepared or drafted probably years in advance. 

I think the Royal Family should determine when the funeral should be whenever they want, and if it’s thought by sporting bodies to move clashes as a mark of respect, so be it. There is no catering or financial implications with sport at the moment so it’s an easy shift. 

To repeat though, anything OTT around this is being driven by TV execs and newsroom editors. 
    I don’t think it matters that the matches are moved, solely because people can’t go at the moment anyway. They’re not being moved at 24 hours’ notice and nobody’s transport travel plans will be disrupted. It makes no odds when we play.

However, you are quite wrong about the TV coverage. It has nothing to do with TV executives. It’s all part of a big book of protocol that also instructs local authorities what to do. Some of it has gone out of the window because of Covid, but a lot of things are being dictated from the centre. The BBC was acting on long established and agreed protocol by unifying its TV and radio channels.

I think the problem is the protocol no longer reflects the nation we are or the media we have. There is no point whatsoever in five BBC channels pumping out the same thing and ITV its own version when there were dozens of commercial channels on satellite carrying on as per usual plus all the on-demand services. BBC One and the News channel would have been understood by everyone. 
    That's fascinating. 

On the events of the past few days I have found it very strange how the rolling 24 hour news coverage, which would churn through massive news stories in 45 minutes including commercials most the time, was more dominated by Philip's death than it was during something like 9/11.

It felt like the protocol book was written in a different era. 

I have nothing against the royals and I was sad to hear of Philip's death, also, The Royals haven't come up with all this and I feel it makes some people feel a bit bitter (possibly fairly)... Just found it strange.

On a serious note, I think what you have said is important. Most of the strong traditional royalists who even tell the Royals what they can or can't do (just look at the treatment of Megan Markle) are of a certain age. There is a large group of people who are not anti monarchy, although these traditional royalists will accuse them of being so. Personally, I much prefer the Queen as head of state to Boris Johnson or even Tony Blair! These are the people the future monarchy will have to take with them. I am talking 20 to 30 years from now when a lot of us oldies will be dead or close to it.

The Royals are victims in this with old fart members of the establishment and journalists deciding what they should and shouldn't do based on antiquated rules. What if a future royal doesn't want to join the armed forces? What if one is gay? These same old farts seem to want to dictate what is appropriate when what is appropriate in 2021 is different to 1951or even 1981. When the Queen's great reign ends, the Royal family will not survive on the same values and being a subject will be a much looser role.
  • Options
    So how is the protocol determined and who inputs to it? (effectively a pre-determined Business Continuity plan for specific events). 

Are we saying these are ‘State orders’ and not plans formed by the TV companies and press?

That (just plucking as an example), it was the state that ordered the i newspaper to dedicate 22 pages of coverage yesterday to it and not the editor / pre-formed articles agreed in that news agencies plans for this event? 

I’ve no idea, so genuinely interested

There are no rules about newspapers, they are private companies, just as the rules about fair election coverage don’t apply to them, but do to broadcast media. Bear in mind, though, that the people still buying newspapers are probably also the people most likely to consume this stuff.

However, BBC, ITV and C4 are all public service broadcasters and subject to particular constraints as a result. I’m not saying that nobody in broadcasting ever had a seat at the table, but equally nobody was making a decision on Friday to bring all the channels together. That was decided years ago as part of Operation Forth Bridge.
    You imagine that after Philip's recent visit to hospital and the clear deterioration in his health, that the broadcasters would have been rehearsing their plans very recently 
  • Options
    So how is the protocol determined and who inputs to it? (effectively a pre-determined Business Continuity plan for specific events). 

Are we saying these are ‘State orders’ and not plans formed by the TV companies and press?

That (just plucking as an example), it was the state that ordered the i newspaper to dedicate 22 pages of coverage yesterday to it and not the editor / pre-formed articles agreed in that news agencies plans for this event? 

I’ve no idea, so genuinely interested

There are no rules about newspapers, they are private companies, just as the rules about fair election coverage don’t apply to them, but do to broadcast media. Bear in mind, though, that the people still buying newspapers are probably also the people most likely to consume this stuff.

However, BBC, ITV and C4 are all public service broadcasters and subject to particular constraints as a result. I’m not saying that nobody in broadcasting ever had a seat at the table, but equally nobody was making a decision on Friday to bring all the channels together. That was decided years ago as part of Operation Forth Bridge.
    You imagine that after Philip's recent visit to hospital and the clear deterioration in his health, that the broadcasters would have been rehearsing their plans very recently 
    I’m guessIng his age was a bit of a clue, too.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

This. I'd count myself as Pro Royal, but not anywhere near the same league as the royalists on social media, or this forum. 

The coverage on Friday was hugely OTT, and carried on into Saturday. Channels regurgitating the same clips over and over, definite misjudgement on the general public's appetite for it. 

If they want to do a day of mourning, stick it on a weekday and give everyone an extra bank holiday. Seems bizarre to do it on a weekend. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:

This. I'd count myself as Pro Royal, but not anywhere near the same league as the royalists on social media, or this forum. 

The coverage on Friday was hugely OTT, and carried on into Saturday. Channels regurgitating the same clips over and over, definite misjudgement on the general public's appetite for it. 

If they want to do a day of mourning, stick it on a weekday and give everyone an extra bank holiday. Seems bizarre to do it on a weekend. 
    Exactly. Why put the same programme on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time? If people wanted to watch a tribute to Phillip then BBC1 is perfect. To put it on both channels is bloody odd and rather big brother.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Exactly. Why put the same programme on BBC1 and BBC2 at the same time? If people wanted to watch a tribute to Phillip then BBC1 is perfect. To put it on both channels is bloody odd and rather big brother.
    Five channels - BBC One, Two, News, Parliament and Alba all showing the same thing. BBC Four cancelled its programming.
  • Options
    I'm a royalist but when putting the TV on Friday night to find the same programme on BBC1 and BBC2 followed by the same thing two hours later.......bloody hell, I didn't think we were a dictatorship.
    Didn't you? 

Aren't rules imposed on us the way of the decade?

Sorry, a bit off topic, but thé similarity between the two is striking.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:

Five channels - BBC One, Two, News, Parliament and Alba all showing the same thing. BBC Four cancelled its programming.
    I’d no idea all 5 channels were covering it. Why? Aren’t we trusted to choose?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:

I’d no idea all 5 channels were covering it. Why? Aren’t we trusted to choose?!
    If all 5 channels were showing DIFFERENT stuff about Phillip I’d have felt a little different. But to have the same thing on all channels is bloody odd.
  • Options
    I listened to Heart radio on Friday taxiing my son to golf and they banged out the same couple of mins news on Prince Philip every 15 mins rather than the news on the hour . Half hourly would have felt reasonable and I’d understand every 15 for the Queen and I think the music was a bit somber as well .
    I’m neither royalist or anti but thought it was over the top for a pop station for us oldies .
    Im not a grown up I’d listen to radio 2 if I was 

• Options
    Croydon said:

I was bloody glad The Masters was on so I had something I could actually want to watch all evening.

Dont get me wrong, when there is a live major news story, like the twin towers (20th anniversary this September), or the storming of the Iranian embassy then I'm glued to the tv & like to hear all the angles, but to have loops of old footage of HRH back in the 50's visiting Oz on 3 major BBC channels simultaneously then it gets a bit much. God knows what will happen when Her Maj goes.....
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Hasn’t 3pm on a Saturday only been a thing since floodlights became the norm? It’s only a traditional for since the late 60s

On the BBC, the overkill has a lot to do with them getting piled on when the Queen Mother died, also a chance to practice how things will go when the Queen dies
    I have been going to The Valley since early 1958 and it has always been 3.00pm kick offs.
    Got nothing to do with floodlights.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So a celebrity dies and now we're moving football games for the funeral and demanding a national shut down? Alrighty then.

It's ONLY a football match we are talking about, over the QUEEN'S late HUSBAND.
    A celebrity of olde. 
    Hmmmm, football was not played the day of Diana's funeral. It should be the same now.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I won't comment again, just sad that the postponement  of a football match is considered more important than paying respects to a man who has served Queen and country for so long. 
    It just gives the angle for people to get their anti-monarchy digs in. I guess at least it was largely refrained on Friday
    But I dont think everyone is anti monarchy.
    For some the monarchy just doesn't bother them that much.
    This thread is showing us theres a 50/50 split.
    The queens old man has just died and rather than the whole nation pay thier respects half of us would rather watch the football.
    As I said if I were in charge would be a national day of mourning.
    Once the queen passes the monarchy changes forever.
    Give this 'man' a promote.
  • Options
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
    Play the game on Sunday, simple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
     Why change the game? 

Why can't both events occur at the same time?

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
    The Duke of Edinburgh IS getting the simple funeral he wanted, he designed a Landrover to carry his coffin, which will be used on Saturday. Utterly ridiculous to suggest that the Royal Family can't listen to the wishes of anyone, just because you don't want to watch the funeral, millions DO. 

Moving the time of a football match is very insignificant, when one of  the most senior members of the Royal Family has passed away.

I watched all the television coverage on Friday night and learnt a lot about the Duke that I didn't know, such as how he served this country in the WW2 as a naval officer where his ship took part of the Battle of Matapan. He is a man who leaves an enormous legacy with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his other charity work such as his early connections with the WWF.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

The Duke of Edinburgh IS getting the simple funeral he wanted, he designed a Landrover to carry his coffin, which will be used on Saturday. Utterly ridiculous to suggest that the Royal Family can't listen to the wishes of anyone, just because you don't want to watch the funeral, millions DO. 

Moving the time of a football match is very insignificant, when one of  the most senior members of the Royal Family has passed away.

I watched all the television coverage on Friday night and learnt a lot about the Duke that I didn't know, such as how he served this country in the WW2 as a naval officer where his ship took part of the Battle of Matterface. He is a man who leaves an enormous legacy with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his other charity work such as his early connections with the WWF.
    I thought you weren't commentating on this thread anymore? That went well. 

I have said run the funeral, but do not cancel or move the planned operations of other organisations.

Other businesses and professions don't get to break for the funeral, so why should some businesses be forced to operate whilst others have their operating hours shifted? 

I don't advocate a national holiday for it, as I have said for all the good the royal family may do, they are merely equivalents of celebrities.

You seem to place these celebrities in way too high esteem. Do you hold other charitable celebrities in such high regard or do these ones get your support because they're born/married into their duties? 

• Options
    not difficult to just move all games to 5pm/5.30pm/7pm....whatever really
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

I watched all the television coverage on Friday night and learnt a lot about the Duke that I didn't know, such as how he served this country in the WW2 as a naval officer where his ship took part of the Battle of Matterface. He is a man who leaves an enormous legacy with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his other charity work such as his early connections with the WWF.
    I thought you weren't commentating on this thread anymore? That went well. 

I have said run the funeral, but do not cancel or move the planned operations of other organisations.

Other businesses and professions don't get to break for the funeral, so why should some businesses be forced to operate whilst others have their operating hours shifted? 

I don't advocate a national holiday for it, as I have said for all the good the royal family may do, they are merely equivalents of celebrities.

You seem to place these celebrities in way too high esteem. Do you hold other charitable celebrities in such high regard or do these ones get your support because they're born/married into their duties? 

You and I will never agree on the status of the Royal Family, to me and millions of others they are an important part of being British and are not mere celebrities. Who are you to say that I place the Royal Family in too high esteem. 
  • Options
    not difficult to just move all games to 5pm/5.30pm/7pm....whatever really
    That's too simple for the EFL to comprehend. They'll probably form a commitee which will make a decision in a few weeks.