Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    Spot on. Nicholas Witchell the other day stated "the amount of programing on the Duke shows how much he was loved by this country", no it wasn't any of our choice it was forced on us. It will be the same with the funeral, millions of football fans won't be able to watch football I imagine a large portion who are not fussed either way about the royals will put it on then we'll have people pointing to the viewing figures as proof the royals are loved. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

People; Why?

👍🏻
    Spot on. Nicholas Witchell the other day stated "the amount of programing on the Duke shows how much he was loved by this country", no it wasn't any of our choice it was forced on us. It will be the same with the funeral, millions of football fans won't be able to watch football I imagine a large portion who are not fussed either way about the royals will put it on then we'll have people pointing to the viewing figures as proof the royals are loved. 
    Spot on, on top of VG's spot on post.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
    Play the game on Sunday, simple.
     Why change the game? 

Why can't both events occur at the same time?

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
    The Duke of Edinburgh IS getting the simple funeral he wanted, he designed a Landrover to carry his coffin, which will be used on Saturday. Utterly ridiculous to suggest that the Royal Family can't listen to the wishes of anyone, just because you don't want to watch the funeral, millions DO. 

Moving the time of a football match is very insignificant, when one of  the most senior members of the Royal Family has passed away.

I watched all the television coverage on Friday night and learnt a lot about the Duke that I didn't know, such as how he served this country in the WW2 as a naval officer where his ship took part of the Battle of Matterface. He is a man who leaves an enormous legacy with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his other charity work such as his early connections with the WWF.

I want to re-iterate that I am not anti-monarchy, before I say that all that you learned there could have been taught in a one hour documentary. In fact, a quick check on IMDB shows many documentaries in the past, of varying lengths which a royal fan could easily have watched for that information. Even I knew he served and saw action in WWII and about his WWF connection.

If there had been as many on Charlton, I would certainly have watched all of them already, being a fan and all that.

I had no objection to blanket coverage on BBC1, Airman has explained the protocol behind everything BBC stopping, which is fair enough. The protocol should be changed to reflect the 21st century. 

I suspect if there had been a major horse race scheduled for 3PM this Saturday, the funeral may have been arranged at an earlier time. 
  • Options
    The death of Prince Phillip has had a profound effect on a lot of people - and not just in this Country. Some people seem to forget that so many people of all persuasions in the UK are strongly Royalist. You only have to have witnessed the wedding of the Queens second grandson a couple of years ago.

Royal wedding Crowds in their thousands pour into Windsor  Royal wedding  Royal Prince harry

It's right and proper that there is due respect paid to the life of this public servant and a reasonable period of mourning is allowed - and this includes his funeral. So many people want to pay their respects and show gratitude to his life of service to the Queen and nation.

Sure, there will be some inconvenience for some people (like @golfaddick I was annoyed that OGWT was postponed) but the delay/cancellation of 3pm football matches on Saturday is hardly a national disaster. I cannot think of anyone other than football Club secretaries who may have had additional work created as a result.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I'm not anti-monarchy. Met the Duke when I was a student and been lucky enough to attend Queen's garden party at Holyrood.

3pm on Saturday has been football's traditional kick-off time for a century. If they want that for the funeral, fair enough.

But it shouldn't be this difficult to agree / announce what then happens to the matches affected and the thousands/ millions who would normally watch them. Especially approaching the end of an already disrupted season when there appears no scope to over-run. I don't know if the block lies with the palace, the government or the football authorities but it really shouldn't be this difficult.
     Why change the game? 

Will my paramedic, police or retail friends get the day off to watch? Would they want to? I doubt it. The man said himself he just wanted a simple military funeral, none of this showmanship or publicity. 

As I've said before I'm not a huge fan of the royal family, it seems they can't listen to the wishes of anyone, whether it's Harry wanting to step back or whether it's the late DofE's dying wish for a simple non-public military funeral.

A cynic might say that the Royal Establishment (not necessarily the person's within the family) are benefitting from all the recent publicity. The Royal family is suddenly relevant to the outside world again.

I think the family should be allowed to grieve and celebrate the life of Philip in private, out of the public eye. I am certain that would be beneficial to them, rather than playing happy families for the cameras.
    The Duke of Edinburgh IS getting the simple funeral he wanted, he designed a Landrover to carry his coffin, which will be used on Saturday. Utterly ridiculous to suggest that the Royal Family can't listen to the wishes of anyone, just because you don't want to watch the funeral, millions DO. 

Moving the time of a football match is very insignificant, when one of  the most senior members of the Royal Family has passed away.

I watched all the television coverage on Friday night and learnt a lot about the Duke that I didn't know, such as how he served this country in the WW2 as a naval officer where his ship took part of the Battle of Matterface. He is a man who leaves an enormous legacy with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards and his other charity work such as his early connections with the WWF.

I want to re-iterate that I am not anti-monarchy, before I say that all that you learned there could have been taught in a one hour documentary. In fact, a quick check on IMDB shows many documentaries in the past, of varying lengths which a royal fan could easily have watched for that information. Even I knew he served and saw action in WWII and about his WWF connection.

If there had been as many on Charlton, I would certainly have watched all of them already, being a fan and all that.

I had no objection to blanket coverage on BBC1, Airman has explained the protocol behind everything BBC stopping, which is fair enough. The protocol should be changed to reflect the 21st century. 

I suspect if there had been a major horse race scheduled for 3PM this Saturday, the funeral may have been arranged at an earlier time. 

The Scottish Grand National at Ayr has been moved from next Saturday back one day "as a mark of respect" to Prince Philip's funeral.

Following the Duke of Edinburgh's death on Friday at age 99, he is laid to rest on Saturday at 15:00 BST.

The Scottish Grand National was set for 15:35 that afternoon.

The British Horseracing Authority says no races will go ahead between 14:45 and 16:15 on Saturday, with the Spring Trials at Newbury also moved to Sunday.

While the Saturday Grand National card at Ayr is pushed back, the opening day of the fixture goes ahead as planned on Friday.

The BHA intends to finalise revised times for Sunday's races on Monday.

• Options
    clive said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

The Scottish Grand National at Ayr has been moved from next Saturday back one day "as a mark of respect" to Prince Philip's funeral.

Following the Duke of Edinburgh's death on Friday at age 99, he is laid to rest on Saturday at 15:00 BST.

The Scottish Grand National was set for 15:35 that afternoon.

The British Horseracing Authority says no races will go ahead between 14:45 and 16:15 on Saturday, with the Spring Trials at Newbury also moved to Sunday.

While the Saturday Grand National card at Ayr is pushed back, the opening day of the fixture goes ahead as planned on Friday.

The BHA intends to finalise revised times for Sunday's races on Monday.

I stand corrected on that point then. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

I thought you’d left this thread.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I won't comment again, just sad that the postponement  of a football match is considered more important than paying respects to a man who has served Queen and country for so long. 
    I bet you will.
    You win...  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am an absolute anti royalist. I have no time for any of them.
    That said,  I care not that the tv was excessive there was plenty of other channels to watch and there are plenty who complain about the coverage of the Olympics . As for the game being moved it’s nothing more than I expected . Why anyone is ghoulish enough to want watch a funeral of someone they don’t know is beyond my comprehension, but each to there own and they have every right to do so . Sky moves the KO times enough without much kick back so it’s to be expected the sycophants want the same. 
  • Options
    LMHR said:
    I am an absolute anti royalist. I have no time for any of them.
    That said,  I care not that the tv was excessive there was plenty of other channels to watch and there are plenty who complain about the coverage of the Olympics . As for the game being moved it’s nothing more than I expected . Why anyone is ghoulish enough to want watch a funeral of someone they don’t know is beyond my comprehension, but each to there own and they have every right to do so . Sky moves the KO times enough without much kick back so it’s to be expected the sycophants want the same. 
    I wish I was as sanguine as you.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

Nice
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

Nice
    Thank you.
  • Options
    not difficult to just move all games to 5pm/5.30pm/7pm....whatever really
    No it's not but they would then clash with the FA Cup semi final and a premier league game and the broadcasters don't want their audiences hit.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

Nice
    Biscuits or South of France ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not too fussed about the football.

But if they cancel my long overdue haircut I will not be happy!
  • Options
    Would have made a lot more sense to have the funeral at 12 or 1pm surely? 
    If only Royal funerals were put into the hands of Sky, it would all be a lot easier.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    not difficult to just move all games to 5pm/5.30pm/7pm....whatever really
    No it's not but they would then clash with the FA Cup semi final and a premier league game and the broadcasters don't want their audiences hit.
    And we have the winner.

All of this nonsense could have easily been avoided if the EFL had just said that due to the funeral ALL League matches that were due to be played at 3pm would now kick off at 5.30pm. No need to have discussions, or talk of different days etc - just easily move the time on a few hours. 

But I suspect (as @Henry Irving has just indicated) tv companies would have not been happy. 
  • Options

People; Why?

👍🏻
    It would be very disrespectful to hold matches at the same time as the funeral. The match will still be held, just at a different time. 
    Personally I am relaxed about moving the football, but I don’t buy into the concept of ‘respect’ with regard to the event.
    Ask for tolerance and understanding and adaptability fine, but asking for respect is too much.
    Respect is usually something earned and is given voluntarily, not on demand.
    For example if a funeral cortège passes by I will sometimes pause, even bow my head slightly to signal empathy and understanding, if driving I wouldn’t obstruct or hassle, but that is about mutual gain, not deference.
  • Options
    It's not that simple is it, it affects travel plans of clubs, and whether they would still stay overnight or have to travel at different times, etc etc. 

So they have to speak to clubs. It's not that simple 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Why change the game? 

What I learnt from all the tv coverage last Friday was that he wasnt Greek, he changed his name to Mountbatten (I suppose to be more "English" like the Sax-Coburgs), was also a descendant of Queen Victoria and first met Elizabeth when she was 13 & he was an 18 year old Naval cadet. Nothing like keeping it in the family is there.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Southern Rail have made their entire website grey, to mourn Phillip. They've had complaints it's now illegible, but have said they won't change it back.

This forced mourning is absolute fucking madness. Wouldn't surprise me that they've postponed the football because they know the funeral viewing figures would be so low if matches were still on.

National Rail did it too (although I think they might've changed it now as it's showing normally for me)

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/46387.aspx

According to their own accessibility page they've broken the law
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    It's not that simple is it, it affects travel plans of clubs, and whether they would still stay overnight or have to travel at different times, etc etc. 

So they have to speak to clubs. It's not that simple 
    Then again it's not that difficult.
    If a decision is made today clubs have almost a week to make arrangements.
  • Options
    He's a racist, colonialist, I have no respect for the man. But if others do, then I have no issue with them grieving or paying respect.

But screwing up the foitball when we are on the fringes of the playoffs is a bridge too far! 

Midnight kick off's are glorious for be here in Oz, the 2 am starts can be killers. 

Hmmm, not sure how is going to play out but the earlier the better please.