Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    So what I'm getting from this thread is that those who want to watch it have to sacrifice nothing yet those that don't can't watch their football teams play, tough luck if you've already made plans, have family duties or work for when the games get rearranged to. 
    The Queen's husband has died, do you really think his funeral would happen without it being shown on television. It has to happen sometime and I expect a Saturday was chosen as fewer people would be working. Not everyone watches football. The match will still take place. I cant believe the 'me first' attitude by some on this thread.
    Nor can I.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    a football game with no crowds, and is only available by streaming can kick off whenever. I just don’t get the fuss, 12, 4, 5:30 all fine and dandy.
    That’s good that it’s all fine and dandy with you. I’m sure no one else has a job, a family or any other commitments that any of those KO times might clash with.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    So a celebrity dies and now we're moving football games for the funeral and demanding a national shut down? Alrighty then.

It's ONLY a football match we are talking about, over the QUEEN'S late HUSBAND.
    A celebrity of olde. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    colthe3rd said:
    So what I'm getting from this thread is that those who want to watch it have to sacrifice nothing yet those that don't can't watch their football teams play, tough luck if you've already made plans, have family duties or work for when the games get rearranged to. 
    The Queen's husband has died, do you really think his funeral would happen without it being shown on television. It has to happen sometime and I expect a Saturday was chosen as fewer people would be working. Not everyone watches football. The match will still take place. I cant believe the 'me first' attitude by some on this thread.
    Nor can I.
    I dont kmow how old you are, perhaps too young to understand about state occasions such as the death of the Monarch's husband. When Princess Diana died, thousands of people lined the route of her funeral cortege and millions of people all over the world watched. 
    What is the qualifying age for understanding about “state occasions”?
    Wasn’t Diana a divorcee and as such not a member of the royal family?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Rothko said:
    a football game with no crowds, and is only available by streaming can kick off whenever. I just don’t get the fuss, 12, 4, 5:30 all fine and dandy.
    That’s good that it’s all fine and dandy with you. I’m sure no one else has a job, a family or any other commitments that any of those KO times might clash with.
    You’ll hate it if we’re in the Premier League again then
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Rothko said:
    How will that affect royal funerals?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Rothko said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Rothko said:
    How will that affect royal funerals?
    If you want certainty over kick off times.

I get the feeling some of you just want to be outraged for the sake of it, or indulge in whataboutery.

I don’t want certainty over kick off times. I’ve never said that.
  • Options
    I won't comment again, just sad that the postponement  of a football match is considered more important than paying respects to a man who has served Queen and country for so long. 
    It just gives the angle for people to get their anti-monarchy digs in. I guess at least it was largely refrained on Friday
    But I dont think everyone is anti monarchy.
    For some the monarchy just doesn't bother them that much.
    This thread is showing us theres a 50/50 split.
    The queens old man has just died and rather than the whole nation pay thier respects half of us would rather watch the football.
    As I said if I were in charge would be a national day of mourning.
    Once the queen passes the monarchy changes forever.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I won't comment again, just sad that the postponement  of a football match is considered more important than paying respects to a man who has served Queen and country for so long. 
    I bet you will.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    iainment said:
    colthe3rd said:
    Nor can I.
    I dont kmow how old you are, perhaps too young to understand about state occasions such as the death of the Monarch's husband. When Princess Diana died, thousands of people lined the route of her funeral cortege and millions of people all over the world watched. 

Wasn't the last time a monarch's husband died in the 1860's? 

In terms of paying my respects. I have done that to the point I am comfortable with. I am sorry he has died, I pass my condolences to the Queen and those that loved him and respect his life. If others think that isn't enough, they are being judgemental. 

• Options
    One thing, why do royalist get so angry that not everyone is obsessed with the royal family? Reminds me of religious people hating atheists.

I am sad he is gone and would much rather he hadn’t but am I more sad than the numerous other deaths that occurred on the same day to people younger and who lead less full lives? No is the answer.
    Im a raging royalist but I don’t care a fig if others are not similarly that way inclined (unless they are disrespectful or nasty towards it). 

I think the press coverage was OTT but that’s solely down to TV executives and newspaper editors. All that coverage and print would have been planned, prepared or drafted probably years in advance. 

I think the Royal Family should determine when the funeral should be whenever they want, and if it’s thought by sporting bodies to move clashes as a mark of respect, so be it. There is no catering or financial implications with sport at the moment so it’s an easy shift. 

To repeat though, anything OTT around this is being driven by TV execs and newsroom editors. 
    I don’t think it matters that the matches are moved, solely because people can’t go at the moment anyway. They’re not being moved at 24 hours’ notice and nobody’s transport travel plans will be disrupted. It makes no odds when we play.

However, you are quite wrong about the TV coverage. It has nothing to do with TV executives. It’s all part of a big book of protocol that also instructs local authorities what to do. Some of it has gone out of the window because of Covid, but at lot of things are being dictated from the centre. The BBC was acting on long established and agreed protocol by unifying its TV and radio channels.

I think the problems is the protocol no longer reflects the nation we are or the media we have. There is no point whatsoever in five BBC channels pumping out the same thing and ITV its own version when there were dozens of commercial channels on satellite carrying on as per usual plus all the on-demand services. BBC One and the News channel would have been understood by everyone. 
    Agreed, hence my earlier comment that it felt like protocol from the 1950s, where there was just 2 channels and if they and BBC Radio were just covering the Royal News, then the whole country would have no choice but to watch it, whereas now we have 100s of channels and streaming options

Plus all the TV protocol about the presenters wearing black, and no jazzy jewellery as well...
  • Options
    Hasn’t 3pm on a Saturday only been a thing since floodlights became the norm? It’s only a traditional for since the late 60s

On the BBC, the overkill has a lot to do with them getting piled on when the Queen Mother died, also a chance to practice how things will go when the Queen dies
  • Options
    So how is the protocol determined and who inputs to it? (effectively a pre-determined Business Continuity plan for specific events). 

Are we saying these are ‘State orders’ and not plans formed by the TV companies and press?

That (just plucking as an example), it was the state that ordered the i newspaper to dedicate 22 pages of coverage yesterday to it and not the editor / pre-formed articles agreed in that news agencies plans for this event? 

I’ve no idea, so genuinely interested

• Options
    edited April 2021
    One thing, why do royalist get so angry that not everyone is obsessed with the royal family? Reminds me of religious people hating atheists.

I am sad he is gone and would much rather he hadn’t but am I more sad than the numerous other deaths that occurred on the same day to people younger and who lead less full lives? No is the answer.
    Im a raging royalist but I don’t care a fig if others are not similarly that way inclined (unless they are disrespectful or nasty towards it). 

I think the press coverage was OTT but that’s solely down to TV executives and newspaper editors. All that coverage and print would have been planned, prepared or drafted probably years in advance. 

I think the Royal Family should determine when the funeral should be whenever they want, and if it’s thought by sporting bodies to move clashes as a mark of respect, so be it. There is no catering or financial implications with sport at the moment so it’s an easy shift. 

To repeat though, anything OTT around this is being driven by TV execs and newsroom editors. 
    I don’t think it matters that the matches are moved, solely because people can’t go at the moment anyway. They’re not being moved at 24 hours’ notice and nobody’s transport travel plans will be disrupted. It makes no odds when we play.

However, you are quite wrong about the TV coverage. It has nothing to do with TV executives. It’s all part of a big book of protocol that also instructs local authorities what to do. Some of it has gone out of the window because of Covid, but a lot of things are being dictated from the centre. The BBC was acting on long established and agreed protocol by unifying its TV and radio channels.

I think the problem is the protocol no longer reflects the nation we are or the media we have. There is no point whatsoever in five BBC channels pumping out the same thing and ITV its own version when there were dozens of commercial channels on satellite carrying on as per usual plus all the on-demand services. BBC One and the News channel would have been understood by everyone. 
    That's fascinating. 

On the events of the past few days I have found it very strange how the rolling 24 hour news coverage, which would churn through massive news stories in 45 minutes including commercials most the time, was more dominated by Philip's death than it was during something like 9/11.

It felt like the protocol book was written in a different era. 

I have nothing against the royals and I was sad to hear of Philip's death, also, The Royals haven't come up with all this and I feel it makes some people feel a bit bitter (possibly fairly)... Just found it strange.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    So how is the protocol determined and who inputs to it? (effectively a pre-determined Business Continuity plan for specific events). 

Are we saying these are ‘State orders’ and not plans formed by the TV companies and press?

That (just plucking as an example), it was the state that ordered the i newspaper to dedicate 22 pages of coverage yesterday to it and not the editor / pre-formed articles agreed in that news agencies plans for this event? 

I’ve no idea, so genuinely interested

There are no rules about newspapers, they are private companies, just as the rules about fair election coverage don’t apply to them, but do to broadcast media. Bear in mind, though, that the people still buying newspapers are probably also the people most likely to consume this stuff.

However, BBC, ITV and C4 are all public service broadcasters and subject to particular constraints as a result. I’m not saying that nobody in broadcasting ever had a seat at the table, but equally nobody was making a decision on Friday to bring all the channels together. That was decided years ago as part of Operation Forth Bridge.