Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    Think there's  a key point being missed here. If we assume there's a 50/50 split here in terms of those who believe Philip was more than a celebrity and would like to pay their respects, versus whose who feel this is over-the-top and inconvenient, we may assume that people involved in the team and club are similarly split. If c.50% of all clubs' players and other club staff want to watch the funeral, doesn't it make sense to shift their kick-offs to allow it? 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Think there's  a key point being missed here. If we assume there's a 50/50 split here in terms of those who believe Philip was more than a celebrity and would like to pay their respects, versus whose who feel this is over-the-top and inconvenient, we may assume that people involved in the team and club are similarly split. If c.50% of all clubs' players and other club staff want to watch the funeral, doesn't it make sense to shift their kick-offs to allow it? 

The 50/50 split is very much an age thing - from that you can surmise that most of the squad won't be too fussed about the funeral of someone they've never met. There's always iPlayer etc as well.
  • Options
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    It would be very disrespectful to hold matches at the same time as the funeral. The match will still be held, just at a different time. 
    Where does your feelings stop on that respect though? Should all shops and shopping centres close during the funeral, cafes and pubs stop serving?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Given all what has been said and putting it to one side, there are important games to re-arrange. They can't really be put back beyond the weekend because the fixtures to get in become too tight. We were commenting recently that there was only one slot for the Lincoln re-arranged game before the scheduled season end so one more game won't fit unless you have teams potentially playing three times in a week which could unfairly impact on them. If you extend the season, you have to extend the play offs too and it becomes a logistical nightmare. 

Sunday would not work as there are fixtures arranged for the following Tuesday. There is also an accepted protocol that clubs should have at least three days between games. So we are left with 12 or 5:30 on Saturday or Friday night. It will be ridiculous if we don't know when our clubs are playing beyond today. Some people have to make the space between work and family commitments and need a bit of notice. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    That’s the best outcome of this silly situation, hopefully inconveniences Ipswich a bit too. 
  • Options
    There we have it.
    An earlier kick off, a decent compromise.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Works out really well for me - Get to watch Charlton v Ipswich @ 12:30pm

Then @ 3pm I've got the Formula One Qualifying at Imola, dont have to worry about watching both at the same time now :)
    Same here, it's perfect really. Would've missed the F1 otherwise.
  • Options
    Will the site be open at 3pm to air my grievances regarding how shit we are after losing to Ipswich 

• Options
    People; I don’t want to watch the funeral.

Other People; You don’t have to

People; Oh great, I’ll watch the football like normal then...

Other People; Can’t, sorry...

People; Why?

Other People: Cos the funeral is on.

People: Wait, what’s that got to do with the football?

Other People; Nothing, just can’t, sorry...

👍🏻
    It would be very disrespectful to hold matches at the same time as the funeral. The match will still be held, just at a different time. 
    Wait, what if I need to poop whilst the funeral is on?
    That feels even more disrespectful than a footy game and now I’m worried I may not be able to last through the whole funeral, please can you advise if it is okay to poop during the discussion/analysis and highlights post funeral?
  • Options

Then @ 3pm I've got the Formula One Qualifying at Imola, dont have to worry about watching both at the same time now :)
    How dare the Italians and F1 allow qualifying to take place at the same time at the funeral. If they don't change it, I'm writing to Sky to tell them to cancel coverage and show the funeral instead...
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    That’s the best outcome of this silly situation, hopefully inconveniences Ipswich a bit too. 
    Presume they’ll be rushing to book hotel rooms now, otherwise that’s a very early start for players. Although maybe they were already staying in local hotel. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Presume they’ll be rushing to book hotel rooms now, otherwise that’s a very early start for players. Although maybe they were already staying in local hotel. 
    they are only coming from Ipswich!....
  • Options
    A whole day of mourning? What does that involve? Does the public have to wear black and pray all day?

The funeral is a private affair with no spectators. All the matches have no spectators. Heaven forbid if we watch a comedy show instead and laugh that day.

Traditionally mourning can involve expression through art and music. Why not football?
    Prince Philip encouraged physical exercise with his award scheme.

September 6th 1997 was Princess Diana's funeral and I went to a wedding. Pay respect but life goes on.

I worked at a wedding two hours after Diana's funeral and it was a really flat Atmosphere; more tea Vicar.

When anyone reaches 99, I don't understand mourning, when you should celebrate their life.
    Sport, music, art, and in Prince Phillips's case telling un-PC jokes for the day.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    it's 80 miles FFS.

Can probably leave Ipswich at 9.00am and still be at The Valley a couple of hours before kick off.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I assumed they were coming down on the day and will now have an early start. Guess they might stay over instead now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As a mark of respect 👍
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    it's 80 miles FFS.

Can probably leave Ipswich at 9.00am and still be at The Valley a couple of hours before kick off.
    I dont know.... have you seen the state of the traffic on the lower road lately!
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I assumed they were coming down on the day and will now have an early start. Guess they might stay over instead now. 
    it's an hour and a half drive ?!?!, why on earth would they stay over
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    it's an hour and a half drive ?!?!, why on earth would they stay over
    Pre match meals etc. Not sure the Valley Cafe will do 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    se9addick said:
    they are only coming from Ipswich!....
    Addickted said:
    se9addick said:
    it's 80 miles FFS.

I wasn’t even considering the drive time. It’s the players preparation. For early kick offs, players have to eat there prematch meal very early. To do that, travel to the pick up point from home (I don’t know if all Ipswich players live close to the ground) travel to us, and then be in best mind etc for a game. To do all of that and want to be on the pitch warming up in full kit by 11:30, I just thought they’d prefer a local hotel to make some of the above easier on players. 
  • Options

How dare the Italians and F1 allow qualifying to take place at the same time at the funeral. If they don't change it, I'm writing to Sky to tell them to cancel coverage and show the funeral instead...
    They probably will knowing my luck!! 
  • Options
    F1 qualifying is 1-2pm on saturday according to sky sports ;(

qualifying is at 1-2 pm according to sky sports f1 TV guide
  • Options
    The only problem could be the bridge, sometimes it has taken me up to an hour to get from junction 28 to the bridge on a match day Saturday morning.  I always allow for that, and if the road is clear, that's a bit longer drinking time in the Anchor.
  • Options
    The only problem could be the bridge, sometimes it has taken me up to an hour to get from junction 28 to the bridge on a match day Saturday morning.  I always allow for that, and if the road is clear, that's a bit longer drinking time in the Anchor.
    Hopefully they will be two hours late and the ref awards the game to us in default  ;)
  • Options
    Also 

Hull City’s final match of the League One season away to Charlton Athletic has been rearranged for Sunday 9th May, kick-off 12 noon.