Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich Next Sat will be different time / day (Confirmed for 12.30pm on the 17th)

Comments

• Options
    Just to clarify, I’m not angry (I was about Masterchef), shit happens. I just find it quite confusing about the postponement of things that have nothing to do with a private funeral.
    Same here. I am sorry he has died and respect his service to Queen and country. But I don't like people telling me how I should act and what I can't do. He was somebody I respect and may he rest in peace but I can't mourn him as I wasn't close to him. I didn't love him as members of his family loved him. I don't think others should expect me to.
    No-one is asking you to, but millions of people do want to watch the funeral. Nobody is being forced to do anything they don't want to. There may be people who will be able to watch Charlton's match at the re-arranged time, who may not have been able to at 3pm next Saturday.
  • Options
    And visa versa. I think it would be good if the EFL announces what it is going to do sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    I’ve just reiterated to my wife that I don’t want the hearse driving slow when I snuff it 
    I don’t want anyone to be inconvenienced by me during or after my life .
    Prince Philip would prolly have chosen to not
    have inconvenienced us all but someone else is making the decisions.
    shame really 

Everyone dies and has to have some kind of funeral. The timing of Prince Phillip's funeral will never please everyone, but I find it so disrespectful that people are moaning because they are being inconvenienced. 

Some people are forgetting that a much loved member of a family has died and the wishes of that family should be respected. 
    I do respect anyone that’s died. However, I don’t know him, he’s not in my family, he never even knew I existed along with 99.9% of the rest of the country. So why we all gotta stop what we wanna do when his family are having a personal funeral? It’s all really strange.
    You're not having to stop doing what you want to do though

Football has just been moved a few hours (maybe a day) as a mark of its respect to Prince Philip - If you want to do something else at that time then no one is stopping you
    I go to work all week, work late Friday and have my daughter all day Sunday, Saturday afternoon is when I (and countless others) can sit down and watch Charlton/football. Just crack on with life, we’ve all had enough of the last 12 months, I can completely understand people’s frustrations.
    You're going to struggle when Adkins gets us back to back promotions and we're in the premier league. We'll hardly ever play on a Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    On BBC online's home page "looking ahead to a low-key funeral", since when were all domestic football fixtures postponed for a low-key affair....

It is only low key because of the pandemic. Had these been normal times, there would have been a procession through the streets, which would have been lined with thousands of people. Although the Duke wouldnt have had a state funeral, it would still be much bigger than it will be next week.  
  • Options
    Why not play the Charlton game in the grounds at Windsor Castle - keeps us all happy then. 

Ffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    iainment said:
    Old geezer dies, country’s sport goes into organisational chaos for his funeral.
    What a wonderful world we live in.
    If he was just another ‘old Geezer’ you may have a point.

As he wasn’t, you don’t.

Thank you very much.
    In my opinion ALL of the games should be played on another day.  I cannot see any reason why they do not get played on the Sunday.
  • Options
    I am a royalist but the coverage was bizarre. 

No need to have the same programme airing on both bbc one and bbc two. 

Don’t think cancelling the football is a big deal though. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    So a celebrity dies and now we're moving football games for the funeral and demanding a national shut down? Alrighty then.

It's ONLY a football match we are talking about, over the QUEEN'S late HUSBAND.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    a football game with no crowds, and is only available by streaming can kick off whenever. I just don’t get the fuss, 12, 4, 5:30 all fine and dandy.
    Whereas a funeral only available by watching on tv can’t kick off whenever ?
  • Options
    5pm kick off seems appropriate to me.
    Noon or soon after could upset those who would think that the time to restart life is after a funeral, and of course accommodate those who wish to watch the build up etc and the procession (that starts at 14:40). There will be 1 min silence at 3pm and he will be interned in the Royal Vault after the service.
    I am not a Royalist, but am happy for those who are to have the opportunity to pay their respects to someone who was important to them.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I’m not angry (I was about Masterchef), shit happens. I just find it quite confusing about the postponement of things that have nothing to do with a private funeral.
    Same here. I am sorry he has died and respect his service to Queen and country. But I don't like people telling me how I should act and what I can't do. He was somebody I respect and may he rest in peace but I can't mourn him as I wasn't close to him. I didn't love him as members of his family loved him. I don't think others should expect me to.
    No-one is asking you to, but millions of people do want to watch the funeral. Nobody is being forced to do anything they don't want to. There may be people who will be able to watch Charlton's match at the re-arranged time, who may not have been able to at 3pm next Saturday.
    I suppose it could be counter argued that people can always record the funeral to watch later, or use iPlayer...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    I am a royalist but the coverage was bizarre. 

No need to have the same programme airing on both bbc one and bbc two. 

Don’t think cancelling the football is a big deal though. 
    I think the coverage annoyed a few people. It certainly did me and I have no axe to grind with the royal family. When they announce the times of the games I will probably feel less irritated but it feels like all this is a bit OTT. Of course I respect those that don't think it is, but it needs to be a two way street.  
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I'm a royalist but when putting the TV on Friday night to find the same programme on BBC1 and BBC2 followed by the same thing two hours later.......bloody hell, I didn't think we were a dictatorship.
    And they then cancelled sverything on BBC4 as well. Special programme about The Old Grey Whistle Test that I wanted to watch.....disappeared.

And I thought that was why they have a dedicated News Channel ffs  !!!

That was frankly bizarre. Cancelling all normal programmes on BBC1 and BBC2 to simulcast the royal coverage, and then cancelling BBC4 completely. It all felt a bit 1950s
    To be fair there’s a pretty big demographic crossover between people who want us to be in some sort of hysterical state of mourning for the next year to make sure we show the correct amount of deference and those that wish it was still the 1950’s. 
    Nobody is suggesting that we should be in a state of mourning for the next year. 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    I’ve just reiterated to my wife that I don’t want the hearse driving slow when I snuff it 
    shame really 

Everyone dies and has to have some kind of funeral. The timing of Prince Phillip's funeral will never please everyone, but I find it so disrespectful that people are moaning because they are being inconvenienced. 

Some people are forgetting that a much loved member of a family has died and the wishes of that family should be respected. 
    I do respect anyone that’s died. However, I don’t know him, he’s not in my family, he never even knew I existed along with 99.9% of the rest of the country. So why we all gotta stop what we wanna do when his family are having a personal funeral? It’s all really strange.

Football has just been moved a few hours (maybe a day) as a mark of its respect to Prince Philip - If you want to do something else at that time then no one is stopping you
    I go to work all week, work late Friday and have my daughter all day Sunday, Saturday afternoon is when I can sit down and watch Charlton/football. Just crack on with life, we’ve all had enough of the last 12 months, I can completely understand people’s frustrations.
    Thats fair... But we've had plenty of games moved to random KO's this season and given zero warning, on those occasions no one seemed to care
    Some people get pissed off at it but TV rescheduling now goes hand in hand with football. The death of a 99 year old man having a funeral attended by his family and friends has no correlation to 22 blokes kicking a ball about.
    He isn't just any old 99 year old bloke and millions of people will want to watch his funeral and many of those will also be football fans. It's only one afternoon after all.

It’s a lifetime of being forced to kow  tow to the needs of the royal family that irks me.
    I can understand the country going into some sort of formal mourning for the queen as she’s the head of state. But her consort? He had no formal role that I’m aware of just what he chose to get involved in. As such he’s just someone married to someone who has an official position. 
    As with Margaret, Diana and the queen’s mother I truly don’t understand why we are forced into having to put up with aspects of daily life being suspended or postponed.
    There’s nothing to stop those who value the royal family from doing whatever they want to honour them. Why it has to be forced on those who don’t value them is the issue.
    It's not being forced on anyone. You dont have to watch anything you dont want to. 
  • Options
    Now here's an interesting (or maybe not) diversion away from the Royalist and anti royal haters.
    My daughter is a matron at a public school.
    She looks after her "66 boys", many from wealthy Chinese families. 
    Bit of a panic last year with the young chaps from Wuhan!!
    I digress.
    Daughters conversation a couple of weeks ago with one of the teachers who's 11 year old son is a boarder chorister at St Paul's.
    Apparently he and the other choristers had been learning a new song which he enjoyed and was looking forward to singing in preparation for the death of a very important person. 
    He was oblivious to who that person might be.
    So, Friday afternoon he was whisked back to London, rehearsing for a Saturday afternoon broadcast on radio 3.
    Not sure if he will get to sing at the main event!!     
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Now here's an interesting (or maybe not) diversion away from the Royalist and anti royal haters.
    I digress.
    Daughters conversation a couple of weeks ago with one of the teachers who's 11 year old son is a boarder chorister at St Paul's.
    Apparently he and the other choristers had been learning a new song which he enjoyed and was looking forward to singing in preparation for the death of a very important person. 
    So, Friday afternoon he was whisked back to London, rehearsing for a Saturday afternoon broadcast on radio 3.
    I thought singing at Church services had stopped, too much spitting !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    iainment said:
    shame really 

I go to work all week, work late Friday and have my daughter all day Sunday, Saturday afternoon is when I can sit down and watch Charlton/football. Just crack on with life, we’ve all had enough of the last 12 months, I can completely understand people’s frustrations.
    Thats fair... But we've had plenty of games moved to random KO's this season and given zero warning, on those occasions no one seemed to care
    Some people get pissed off at it but TV rescheduling now goes hand in hand with football. The death of a 99 year old man having a funeral attended by his family and friends has no correlation to 22 blokes kicking a ball about.
    He isn't just any old 99 year old bloke and millions of people will want to watch his funeral and many of those will also be football fans. It's only one afternoon after all.

It’s a lifetime of being forced to kow  tow to the needs of the royal family that irks me.
    I can understand the country going into some sort of formal mourning for the queen as she’s the head of state. But her consort? He had no formal role that I’m aware of just what he chose to get involved in. As such he’s just someone married to someone who has an official position. 
    As with Margaret, Diana and the queen’s mother I truly don’t understand why we are forced into having to put up with aspects of daily life being suspended or postponed.
    There’s nothing to stop those who value the royal family from doing whatever they want to honour them. Why it has to be forced on those who don’t value them is the issue.
    It's not being forced on anyone. You dont have to watch anything you dont want to.
    I wanted to watch and listen to several things on the BBC on Friday and yesterday and was forced to forego that.
    That’s the point.
  • Options
    I digress.
    I thought singing at Church services had stopped, too much spitting !
    Yes interesting.
    I went to a funeral in late January and no singing was allowed.
    Did not hear the broadcast yesterday so not sure how that was conducted.
    Will be interesting to see what happens at Saturdays funeral. 
    More important to us, is when will we get to beat Ipswich!! 
  • Options
    It was quite selfish of him to have died before the end of the season to be honest... 
  • Options
    I want a David Bowie send off when I go. The Funeral industry is an increasingly expensive scam.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Will the EFL ever got off their arses and organise this farce regarding when and if games will be played, it
    is plain something has to be done and teams need to prepare, also so we can talk about something else.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    It was quite selfish of him to have died before the end of the season to be honest... 
    he had to make sure he didn’t get to 100, he didn’t want all the pomp and guff to go with it 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Talal said:
    he had to make sure he didn’t get to 100, he didn’t want all the pomp and guff to go with it 
    And of course the nice birthday card from HRH
  • Options
    Embarrassing.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Saved her sending a telegram to herself as well.