Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Peterborough | Sat 24 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The next two weeks will be crucial
  • Options
    edited April 2021

It was always going to be a tight game. Needed to take the few chances that we had and the run of the ball. Couldn’t believe there was only 4 minutes added time with all of their time wasting but we played those minutes terribly, Famewo  mainly to blame. On another day, we could win that but it wasn’t our day.

The problem with our formation is that it isn’t a game chasing one. I thought Nigel was a bit slow to make the Aneke sub. We were dominant without  creating enough. I would have taken Pearce off and played Watson as a midfielder/centre half and put Aneke on at 65 minutes and kept Gilbey on. They were playing deep and it was worth a risk.

We played ok though and still all to play for. Today, mainly not getting the rub rather than our mistakes. We shaded the match but Posh looked as good as we have played.

• Options
    Definitely deserved a point, if not all 3. Only one team in it in the 2nd half but because we cant cross & arent clinical enough up front we huffed & puffed without causing them any real problems.

Must win on tuesday. Must.

I think the season will hang on the rearranged Lincoln match......which we will not win. Stuffed by the EFL yet again.

Dont win tuesday  = wont make the play offs. 
  • Options
    One ten-match unbeaten run ends, now start the next one on Tuesday.

I don't know how much training is going to be done between now and Tuesday evening but at the very least all players need to spend a couple of hours practising their crossing ... with both feet.

If we could have a supply of decent crosses that game would have been ours for the taking, especially if your main weapon is on Stocker's shoulders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Gotta beat Crewe, Accrington and Lincoln now to nick 5th or 6th. Can’t see that happening imho. Hull look too good for us by a country mile.
  • Options
    Disappointing that our top scorers are left on the bench until the 75th and 81st minute in a game that we desperately needed a result given how Oxford and Portsmouth have both won. Not in our own hands anymore.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, what 'big changes' are needed? Where were we lacking on the field? One of our tricky wingers got injured and we brought on the wrong option, but we have a squad up to it. What I ask are the big changes? Where were we lacking? All we lacked today was final ball 
    Final ball has been lacking all season. That’s a pretty fucking big area when it comes to scoring goals. 
    This. Plymouth was good fun but zero goals scored in the last 180 minutes of football at the Valley has to change in midweek.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Good game, disappointing result. You can’t miss penalties if you want to get something from what was always going to be a hard game. I thought we played really well on the whole. A number of players were excellent today.

I think we should have brought Washington on for DJ instead of Morgan. And agreed with others who’ve said get Chuks on sooner. But we matched them pretty much all over the park, they took their chance and we didn’t. A draw would have been a fair result.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Peterborough played like a team ready for the next level. We played like a team no better than top half of League One. Difference in quality was clear. Big changes needed in the summer.
    Strongly disagree. We played quite well and basically matched a team who are going up. It was a tight game decided by the composure of the strikers 

Agree - I though we matched them well after the goal - what we needed was Millar to cross the ball better when battled well to get in the box, prob 442 in 2nd half - Why not F-Caskey for Penalty?
    Could have beaten them with a bit better quality in final third.
  • Options
    Thought they dealt with Stockley and Inniss from set pieces really well. Shame we couldn't put more decent balls in as their keeper looked dodgy on anything that needed a bit of work. Morgan did alright but unfortunately with DJ going off we were looking to Millar the majority of the time. Aneke should've been brought on earlier for me. 
  • Options
    I’m not too disappointed, we played a good, organised top 2 team today. And were weren’t far off in the end. 

Thought we gave a good go of it. Only real criticism I have is we just weren’t good enough in the final third. 

On to Tuesday. Looking difficult if we don’t win that
    Totally agree

Morgan for Washington was a head scratcher for me.

May as well took purrington off and gone 433 and risk losing 2-0

• Options
    Peterborough played like a team ready for the next level. We played like a team no better than top half of League One. Difference in quality was clear. Big changes needed in the summer.
    Not sure what game you were watching, one moment of quality from their top goalscorer was the difference! Point would have been a fair result! We can’t get too disheartened by that! 
  • Options
    Definitely deserved a point, if not all 3. Only one team in it in the 2nd half but because we cant cross & arent clinical enough up front we huffed & puffed without causing them any real problems.

Must win on tuesday. Must.

I think the season will hang on the rearranged Lincoln match......which we will not win. Stuffed by the EFL yet again.

Dont win tuesday  = wont make the play offs. 
    Be nice and fun if they lose their next two (one is against Peterborough) with us winning our next two

If that happens then a win against Lincoln could yet take us fourth
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    They started well got their goal and were on top for 15/20 mins. Then we came back into it, won a penalty and promptly saw it well saved. Second half was ours we more than matched them, but final third and crosses into the box were very poor.
    We can still make the play-offs but we need 6 points from the next two games. Worry to see DJ go off in first half and if its a 'hammy' that could be his season done. Maarsten (sp) would be a very decent replacement and I would start Innis and Famewo together on Tuesday give Pearcy a rest.
    The way I see it, I was expecting to lose at Sunderland and only get a point today, so in my mind we are still 2 points ahead, but we must win the next two and comfortably.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc4life said:
    Adkins partly to blame in my opinion . Bringing Morgan on for DJ was a waste of time. Should have been chuks. Then making subs with 15 mins to go, Millar should have been subbed after an hour his decision making is so poor 
    I was surprised he brought Morgan on too. But I would have brought Washington on to play wide left, moving Millar over to the right. I think Albie is better played centrally where his range of passing can do more damage.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, what 'big changes' are needed? Where were we lacking on the field? One of our tricky wingers got injured and we brought on the wrong option, but we have a squad up to it. What I ask are the big changes? Where were we lacking? All we lacked today was final ball 
    Try to take the positives sure but the reality of the situation is Peterborough are better than us. Szmodics could’ve had a hat trick with his one on ones today. We rarely got behind their back line and when we did, we quickly ruined it. That’s the difference and that’s what needs to be addressed in the summer.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

• Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Disappointing that our top scorers are left on the bench until the 75th and 81st minute in a game that we desperately needed a result given how Oxford and Portsmouth have both won. Not in our own hands anymore.
    It is still in our hands. We win our game in hand on Pompey (two against Oxford) and we are top 6. Blackpool seem to have hit a wall.
  • Options
    Top 6 was in our hands before this game now it is not
    Yes it is
  • Options
    We’re gonna just miss out. Oxford will finish on 74, Blackpool and Pompey will get at least 74 too. We need minimum 3 wins from 4 tough games to end the season.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafc_se7 said:
    Not sure what game you were watching, one moment of quality from their top goalscorer was the difference! Point would have been a fair result! We can’t get too disheartened by that! 
    Did you miss Szmodics going one on one with Amos twice and missing an open goal late on? They opened us up at will when they wanted to play their game. Their defensive mindset through the second half was what allowed us to look like we competed but even then, they rarely were troubled. Sat thinking we could still be playing now and not score a goal.
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    It is still in our hands. We win our game in hand on Pompey (two against Oxford) and we are top 6. Blackpool seem to have hit a wall.
    Its as you said, no one, not even Charlton would end the season unbeaten at this stage

For us it needed to happen sooner or later

If we end in the Play-Offs would people prefer it if our defeat came against Peterborough or Hull?