Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Peterborough | Sat 24 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Don't think the gulf was too big really. JCH was better than Stockley on the day, and we were less incisive overall in attack. Think our pressing game is coming together, we need to work on being clinical. I'm sure the team and manager will be itching to put things right on Tuesday.
    JCH is better than Stockley on any day.
    Stockley is decent but JCH is better.
    You always want a Stockley though.

Talking about league 1 here.  A Stockley will make an average good, a good team very good and give a great team team a plan B.

He isn't a Taylor, Toney or a JCH.  He is a better "target man" than Eves or Magennis.  He is in the same league as Wyke. 
    Stockley is a very average player and certainly worse than Magennis.
    Nah Magennis was proper shit for us. Stockley is good at what he does, but he makes us a worse team
    Magennis wasn't shit for us - he was playing in a very poor team with little or no service yet some of our fans seemed to expect miracles. I think a lot of our fans have forgotten how bad we were in the two seasons he was with us.

Stockley for me is a more limited player and his career stats are hardly impressive. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, I have no fond memories of Magennis' play whatsoever. 
    Stockley is certainly not the way forward.
    I agree with you there. I genuinely think we play worse with him in the side. Proper league one lump, that we just hit and hope it towards. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think at home, Stockley on his own is an issue. But he is a good player for the level and this is seen away. We probably have to find a way to have two up front at home, even if we start with one, we need to be able to change early if it looks like it isn't happening. Whatever the reasons and what was and wasn't possible, we did it far to late today. And when we did, Gilbey is a goal threat and shouldn't have come off. I think when teams play deep, we ought to consider sacrificing a centre back. A midfielder like Watson can always fill in there when defending.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Don't think the gulf was too big really. JCH was better than Stockley on the day, and we were less incisive overall in attack. Think our pressing game is coming together, we need to work on being clinical. I'm sure the team and manager will be itching to put things right on Tuesday.

Talking about league 1 here.  A Stockley will make an average good, a good team very good and give a great team team a plan B.

He isn't a Taylor, Toney or a JCH.  He is a better "target man" than Eves or Magennis.  He is in the same league as Wyke. 
    He is a much better target man, is he as good all round?  I don't think it's clear cut either way.  I like Magennis, I like Stockley.  If you paired them up you would probably get in the play offs.  That's basically my point. 
  • Options
    I think at home, Stockley on his own is an issue. But he is a good player for the level and this is seen away. We probably have to find a way to have two up front at home, even if we start with one, we need to be able to change early if it looks like it isn't happening. Whatever the reasons and what was and wasn't possible, we did it far to late today. I think when teams play deep, we ought to consider sacrificing a centre back. A midfielder like Watson can always fill in there when defending.
    I really think Stockley is a limited player and if he's our main attacking threat we'll struggle.
  • Options
    Yes, he has limitations. He is a bit limited with the ball at his feet. But he also has his strengths and he was a good signing for us.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Not as bad as some are saying. Crossing was poor though, as were set pieces. However, the number that we put in you'd think we might have got a lucky break somewhere.
    Would have been very different had Stockley had scored the penalty. Of course they might have come out of their shell and won the game anyway.
    But then again, we might have snatched it with a goal on the break, as they pushed forward. 
    68% possession should have yielded more though. Millar blazing from an acute angle when we had two or three in the box was a massive moment. He also, with about 10 mins to go, failed to find a simple ball to Chuks who was free-ish in the box with his back to the goal, just how he likes it. He wasn't happy after Millar's attempted more difficult pass was blocked.
    Peterborough are an excellent side though, and they have at least three players who are better than any of ours, so a defeat isn't the end of the world. Although we lost we look harder to beat than we used to, which is some sort of consolation I suppose.
    Hopefully Adkins will do what he's good at and cheer the players up and get them motivated for the crucial Crewe game.
    Win that one and we're still in it.
    Onwards and upwards, after a blip.
  • Options
    Our home form has been utterly shocking and ultimately has been the root of our problems. No idea why it has been so bad.

W6 D6 L8  is pretty poor at this level. 
    Must be because we have one of the best stadium’s in the league. Teams raise their game and without home fans there’s no fear factor. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah Magennis was proper shit for us. Stockley is good at what he does, but he makes us a worse team
    Magennis wasn't shit for us - he was playing in a very poor team with little or no service yet some of our fans seemed to expect miracles. I think a lot of our fans have forgotten how bad we were in the two seasons he was with us.

Stockley for me is a more limited player and his career stats are hardly impressive. 

So bad we sneeked in the play offs once...

Magennis was used wrongly by Robinson.  Just because a guy is 6 foot plus and built like an out house doesn't make him a target man. 
  • Options
    Hang on, this can’t be right. I thought all our hamstring injuries were because Bowyer was making everyone run 15 miles before breakfast then having them break rocks for 3 hours in the midday sun before being sent to a backstreet physio who got his qualifications mail order from the University of Kathmandu?  I thought all our injuries were going to just disappear now. 
    When people talk about the major overhaul we need in summer, this is where it needs to start before we even sign any new player. This is the 3rd early game hamstring in 2 months ( Aneke and Washington being the others, and we‘d have beaten Ipswich with either of them to come on). Does my head in. At least he was able to jog off, but cant see him recovering in 2 weeks, tragic when he was just starting to find his feet.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Magennis was used wrongly by Robinson.  Just because a guy is 6 foot plus and built like an out house doesn't make him a target man. 
    We played some dreadful football under Slade and Robinson and at times it was almost unwatchable. There weren't many players that stood out in those two seasons...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought JFC had a poor game tbh. His set pieces were terrible and a couple of times he got got the ball and instead of turning away from pressure he turned right back into it.  He is due a bad game as he has been very good most of the season though
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Peterborough played like a team ready for the next level. We played like a team no better than top half of League One. Difference in quality was clear. Big changes needed in the summer.
    Strongly disagree. We played quite well and basically matched a team who are going up. It was a tight game decided by the composure of the strikers 
    Glad you said this. Thought they were bang average. Scored a good goal but we more than matched them.

Gotta say though...Peterborough are one of those teams you just hate. Managers a twat, chairman's a twat....there just twats really...
  • Options
    Think Millar needs to work on his end product! For every decent thing he does, he then does 2-3 shit things! 
  • Options
    first 20 they were the better team, the next 70 we were, but whether that would have been the case had we scored the penalty, i very much doubt.subs were 20 minutes too late. play off spot still achievable and i think we will get it - not sure why shinnie hasn't been involved - crying out for a bit of craft today and i'm always baffled as to why chucks doesn't play more - still not feeling like a promotion season to me but not beyond the realms of possibility that we could grind our way up 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We played some dreadful football under Slade and Robinson and at times it was almost unwatchable. There weren't many players that stood out in those two seasons...
    We played some dreadful football under every manager we have ever had.  This seasons team will either be remembered in the same way as the 2019 team or the 2018 team. 4, maybe 7, games left. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

He is a much better target man, is he as good all round?  I don't think it's clear cut either way.  I like Magennis, I like Stockley.  If you paired them up you would probably get in the play offs.  That's basically my point. 
    Agreed, Magennis has a stronger shot than Stockley, he's more athletic too. It's almost become a running joke on Valley Pass that Stockley has only scored with his head

Both are very good but not top class L1 strikers who've struggled to score in the Championship. Neither has scored more than 4 goals in a season at Championship level
  • Options
    Some notes after reading all the posts on here so far.........

With DJ out I'd go with Maatsen on the left & Millar on the right.

or.......

Washington out wide(ish) and again Millar on the right

I'd play Aneke instead of Stockley.

Gilbey has come into his own over the past few games. Won the pen & his mazy run & shot deserved better.

Prefer Shinnie to Morgan.

Today was a "free hit"......but we need to win 3 out of out last 4 games. Need 75 points but may still miss out due to our inferior GD. 

If we dont win Tuesday then I reckon that's it. obviously can still win our last 3, but when do we ever beat the Champions on the last day. 

Our home form has cost us & doubt we will win 2 of our last 3 home games.

Jury still out on Adkins. Comes across really well & love what he says after a game.....but it's what he does DURING a game that matters & I've yet to see him him make a positive or proactive change during a match. 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Miller for all his pace, continues to frustrate in the final third. Young winger so what else can we expect? Well at least best the first man or don’t over hit the cross!!  Chuks should of come on second half I think, didn’t effect the game in the 75th minute. We look a better team though and more than matched them. Need a to go again and do the job on Tuesday. 
  • Options
    jfc should play the watson / pratley role so we can get shinnie back in and we have to find a way of getting chucks back in the team - the dj injury will surely mean one of chucks, maatsen or washington coming in - personally i'd drop millar to the bench and start chucks and washington either side of stockley  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millar's end product was undeniably poor but he got little rest as he was our only attacking threat. 
  • Options
    Needed something from today. Tuesday is now all or nothing.
  • Options
    Some notes after reading all the posts on here so far.........

With DJ out I'd go with Maatsen on the left & Millar on the right.

or.......

Washington out wide(ish) and again Millar on the right

I'd play Aneke instead of Stockley.

Gilbey has come into his own over the past few games. Won the pen & his mazy run & shot deserved better.

Prefer Shinnie to Morgan.

Today was a "free hit"......but we need to win 3 out of out last 4 games. Need 75 points but may still miss out due to our inferior GD. 

If we dont win Tuesday then I reckon that's it. obviously can still win our last 3, but when do we ever beat the Champions on the last day. 

Our home form has cost us & doubt we will win 2 of our last 3 home games.

Jury still out on Adkins. Comes across really well & love what he says after a game.....but it's what he does DURING a game that matters & I've yet to see him him make a positive or proactive change during a match. 

The simulations disagree.

After today's games there is a 60% chance of a Play-Off place with 73 points.

With 74 points, the probability increases to 79%.  And, at 75 points, there is a 95% chance.

Two wins and a draw in our final four games might be enough.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Christ we are a tough crowd at times. 

Stockley has been fully committed and decent for this level. He wasn’t so effective today but that was largely due to how well Beevers played (noticed how ineffective the giant Inniss was at set plays?). 
    He's a journeyman like Magennis - if he was a better player he'd be playing at a higher level. I'm not questioning his commitment but I don't think he should be our main attacking threat.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    He's far better than Magennis.  With the average service he's getting , he often keeps us in the game at least unsettling defenders.  I don't dislike Magennis, but I class him in the same league as Iwelumo, both big players who unless the ball was down their throat didn't get anything on it.  The amount of work Stockley get's through is incredible, and the next thing you know he's inbetween the cd and fb getting his head on a below average ball and at least directing it away from easy turnover ball.  It's a shame we can't fit Shinnie in the side, as he has the quality in open play to hit excellent first time balls.  I'm not saying Stockley would take the champ by storm, but at this level he's been one of our most effective players.  Both Morgan and Shinnie would at least be on the bench for me, and if I had the choice Shinnie would be starting inside right in front of Maatsen.