Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Peterborough | Sat 24 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    Again just lacked that bit of real quality. Final delivery was poor. 3 wins and draw should just about be enough. Playoffs will be usual lottery. Not convinced we will make it still but it is in our hands. Stating the obvious but nothing less than a win on Tuesday will do. Interesting to see what line up will be. Keep believing.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    One of those where I expected nothing more than a point.

Listening in it sounds like after the first 30 mins it was all is, but we were toothless. Plan B was enacted maybe 10 mins too late.

Szmodics wasteful in his few chances.

Stockley proves his feet are in fact almost completely useless, outside of landing on them when walking/running.

Hope Jaiyesimi is okay, but Adkins didn't sound too hopeful in the post match bit.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, what 'big changes' are needed? Where were we lacking on the field? One of our tricky wingers got injured and we brought on the wrong option, but we have a squad up to it. What I ask are the big changes? Where were we lacking? All we lacked today was final ball 
    Try to take the positives sure but the reality of the situation is Peterborough are better than us. Szmodics could’ve had a hat trick with his one on ones today. We rarely got behind their back line and when we did, we quickly ruined it. That’s the difference and that’s what needs to be addressed in the summer.
    You can't get behind a, half decent back line, when your a goal down at home.  When we are 1, or more up, we often get behind back lines. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Adkins needs to factor in the fact that Crewe will have bodies in the box on Tuesday and try to frustrate us. The usual set up which is effective is less so when teams are less open. I think it will be fine starting with a 4-3-3 but he needs to be ready to change it more quickly if things are not going for us.

One thing he could consider is replacing DJ with Aneke and if Crewe sit deep, Matthews should have the freedom to be an effective wing back. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Let's be honest with ourselves here, yes we lost by only one goal and missed a penalty, but on another day Szmodics would have had an hat-trick.

Morgan is completely ineffective, the subs were way too late and for all the lauding of our set pieces, they were dogshit today.
    Morgan was getting constant praise on the commentary but isn't an attacking winger.

Reading the rest of your comment, well there's some very OTT comments being spurted out in this thread.

We lost to a goal by a bloke who already had 27 goals this season.

Sure our final ball wasn't there today but I knew this would be the reaction if we lost today after Tuesday's result.
  • Options
    Millar could have and should have got us something from the game....had the beating of Thomas and the guy who came on for him. 
    However, his distribution was utter pants!🤨
     Yeah, we're missing Maatsen a bit I feel. Now we're missing Jaiyesimi too.

Bad timing for another wave of injuries.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    We played well without really threatening.
    Peterborough are going up and it's because them & Hull are the best two teams.
    I thought they were always in control and could have stepped up a gear if necessary.
    I said post match v Plymouth that I wouldn't be getting carried away and would judge us after Saturday.
    My suspicions proved correct, we are 6th/7th best in this league, but if we make the play off you never know.
  • Options
    Morgan did ok. What disappoints me a little about him is he ought to get into scoring positions more often. I think Shinnie is a better option from the bench personally. 
  • Options
    I thought that was the best we have passed the ball all season. 
    Except the final one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aneke has to start Tuesday doesn't he? 
  • Options
    I didn't realise until now but Peterborough skirted the rules to sign the keeper that played today on an emergency loan.

What with them and Lincoln also bending Covid rules to have a couple of weeks rest when in bad form I do feel they have both gone against the spirit of the game this year. That's before you get to how both sides benefitted (over us at least) from the salary cap fiasco. 
  • Options
    A narrow defeat against a better team. Posh have real class up front, and defended really well today. Today was always a bonus ball for me, the result which is more frustrating is the draw against a toothless Ipswich side

Adkins has gone with maintaining consistency, but it has made us a bit predictable. All season we've struggled when going behind, and with the poor delivery today from crosses and set pieces, Stockley had very little to feed on in the air, and not enough support next to him. 

Very frustrating game by Millar some great runs and attacking play, let down by the final ball. JFC's set piece deliveries were awful, and as Brownie said (something I've noticed in other matches) we can be a  bit predictable with them too, always aiming them at Inniss even when he isn't getting any success
  • Options
    19th in the home form table. 3 points off bottom.

Says it all really
  • Options
    Not saying it is an easy game or that we will definitely win it, but Crewe is probably one of the better opponents we could have next game.
  • Options
    difficult to win games when you miss penalties .. IF we'd'a scored that, we would have gone on to win .. still all there for us, just need to get back to winning ways
  • Options
    Few of our players do seem to suffer from a lack of common sense. Right at the end Famewo was in a position to hoof it upfield but passes to Pearce when he's in a less favourable position. Then there's the short goal kick also in injury time which ate up a couple of minutes. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
    He’s just turned 21 and he’s already played 50+ senior games in both League One and the Championship. 

You’re already writing him off because he’s not starting in central midfield? 
    No, he may come good elsewhere eventually, if the club were in better shape over the last few years those game opportunities would have been less. You could argue at 21 he should be flourishing if he was good enough, he isn’t!!.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Few of our players do seem to suffer from a lack of common sense. Right at the end Famewo was in a position to hoof it upfield but passes to Pearce when he's in a less favourable position. Then there's the short goal kick also in injury time which ate up a couple of minutes. 
    A few players were guilty of that earlier in the game. Passing to a player in a worse position I mean. Sometimes it isn't clear I suppose, but it is also about making a quick judgement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not saying it is an easy game or that we will definitely win it, but Crewe is probably one of the better opponents we could have next game.
    Agree, huge pressure on it though.

I reckon we need 2 more wins and if we don't win on Tuesday then 2 wins against Accrington, Lincoln and Hull will be a big ask.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
    He’s just turned 21 and he’s already played 50+ senior games in both League One and the Championship. 

You’re already writing him off because he’s not starting in central midfield? 
    No he is saying a 21 year old isn't good enough, yet, to command a starting place in our central midfield. Which is true.

That's not writting him off.  Not everything is an absolute. 
  • Options
    Win against Crewe and things will be looking very good I feel. Blackpool have sunderland next as well, things very much in our hands and the next 2 games will define our season. Anyone can beat anyone still so losing today not the end of the world
  • Options
    Morgan did ok. What disappoints me a little about him is he ought to get into scoring positions more often. I think Shinnie is a better option from the bench personally. 

Not quite sure what Shinnie has done not to be in Adkins'plans. Though if it were a straight choice between him and Gilbey, Gilbey has made the place his own in the past few games, much to many fans' surprise. Looked the player most likely to do something today and won the penalty.
    Disappointing today but I'm not as down as I might have been. If we play like that for the rest of the season we'll get that play-off place. The top two seem a class above, though those that think Hull might take their foot off the gas for our final game only need to recall our 0-4 defeat against the Championshp winners last season.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    PWR.

Expectations have changed massively in the last month and definitely need to be managed. Nothing has changed really, 4 wins will see us in the playoffs, tbh 3 can also still do it. If someone would have told me this 6 weeks ago I'd have laughed in there face. 

• Options
    It's Crewe or nothing.
  • Options
    Agree, huge pressure on it though.

I reckon we need 2 more wins and if we don't win on Tuesday then 2 wins against Accrington, Lincoln and Hull will be a big ask.
    I think Crewe was always a must win and if it wasn't, it certainly is now. Having said that, it is also a should win.
  • Options
    One thing is for sure and that is if we do make the play-offs then it is up for grabs as to who will win at Wembley. No team in the final four will have proved themselves as being unbeatable and that is to our benefit. It could be argued that we do not deserve to gain promotion but we are still in with a shout with nothing to fear. Yes there is a gap between us and Peterborough but had we scored that penalty then would we be saying that the gap isn’t so great? One thing is for sure: if we win on Tuesday then momentum is re-gained
  • Options
    I didn't realise until now but Peterborough skirted the rules to sign the keeper that played today on an emergency loan.

What with them and Lincoln also bending Covid rules to have a couple of weeks rest when in bad form I do feel they have both gone against the spirit of the game this year. That's before you get to how both sides benefitted (over us at least) from the salary cap fiasco. 
    Lets not even start on the few 100k they bunged Bristol Rovers to pay the strikers loyalty bonus for leaving...... 
  • Options
    Sunderland went from 2-0 to 3-3 and goodnight Irene to their hopes of top 2.  They must love playing us so much...