Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Peterborough | Sat 24 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    What works away, just doesn't work at home:

The fact that Conor didn't come on for DJ, told us straight away he was only going to get about 10 minutes if we were still behind. Being fit to be on the bench doesn't mean fit for many minutes it seems.

We needed Aneke on for 30 when we were on top not 15 when we were flagging. 
    i think chuks has had a great season but if he isn't fit to play more games over a season, it's now becoming a problem. 
    All my fears, I mentioned in the Preview came to fruition.
    We need two strikers at home, and scoring 6 at Plymouth would've no correlation with today where we wouldn't be given any space.

Good save but our 3rd penalty miss was very costly.You can't afford to miss from the spot unless you are a few goals clear.

I wish now we had scored 6 before an international break, as at least we could have revelled in the victory for longer than 4 days.

Normal service is resumed at the valley despite passing well today Until we got to their box.

We weren't shite but we were toothless and so frustrating. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I think people are missing a key point with Miller. When he beats his man, he hasn't got free men to find when opponents have bodies in the box. It is easier away for him. We went too long with just Stockley but Nigel suggested injuries were to do with it. 
  • Options
    Best performance in defeat of the season for me. We played well against a very good side and a saved penalty was the difference between us and a promoted side. 

No confidence lost, if anything they should be feeling like they’ve come up against the best and they’ve matched them. No one is better than our fully fit squad so we have a fantastically exciting end of season to come. 👍
  • Options
    If we had a decent crosser of a ball we would have won today.

Some very mixed performances, some very strange subs.

Can’t stand that ref.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Can I just...what 'big changes' are needed? Nobody's answered me yet. I suspect people's answers will involve 'better players than Millar and DJ as wing forwards'. Those players are pretty hard to find. That said we have a certain Chelsea loanee coming back to fitness ;)
    I will - Sarr. We miss him. 
    You are playing to a gallery here. A gallery of me 

More composure in our passing from the back would certainly help. Pearce isn't the worst. It's a big hole in Inniss' and Famewo's games. They're good enough defenders that it doesn't matter so much
    And me.

I miss BeckenSarr the Enforcer.
    I see Huddersfield let another 5 in today. After the recent 6. Sarr was playing in both.

Just saying.
    I know one thing - I’d rather him than Pearce 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Our delivery was very poor today to be fair, decision making wasn’t great. Didn’t think Jfc was quite as good with the ball today and for some reason noticed how one footed he is today which just hadn’t been as notable to me before. A couple of times he slowed play or lost the ball trying to get back on his left foot. I’m not scapegoating him by the way as I thought we deserved a point. But wasn’t to be, still in our hands on to the next one.👍
  • Options
    Minto is back on Valley Pass talking about getting an Ibiza tan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
    And that’s the crux of it. He simply isn’t good enough to play I the centre of the park.
  • Options
    With 10 to go, you just put your foot through it and get it forward. Famewo very guilty of it IMO. Not our day, but we will be up for Tuesday. My big new worry is that we can't let any games in the play offs go to penalties. 
  • Options
    Thought we performed ok albeit we were toothless in the final 3rd
  • Options
    Despite the defeat I thought it was a pretty decent game. Need to work on our final ball into the box, but other than that it was a good performance against a side far better than most in this division. I'm still hopeful we can do it. We've a game in hand and I suspect Hull might take their foot off the gas now.
  • Options
    Strong second half, but couldn’t finish. 

I’m not dispirited, still in our hands and I believe we will do it. 

If we’d got the penalty, it’s a draw, which would have been great, but we didn’t, so we try again. 

Looking forward to Tuesday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:

He’s just turned 21 and he’s already played 50+ senior games in both League One and the Championship. 

You’re already writing him off because he’s not starting in central midfield? 
  • Options
    Think we could have lost by more if Szmodics had taken his chances. Subs on far too late.
    Stockley was getting no joy from their centre backs. Apart from the pen did their keeper have
    any saves to make? Why don't JFC or Gilbey take our pens? Also poor decision to take Albie off!
    It's no good playing well and losing. Our three pen misses this season will come back
    to bite us! Also Jaiyesimi will be a bad miss if a hamstring injury as mentioned.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Still too much passing back from attacking moves for my liking. 

Felt we passed the ball across the back line more today than in all the other Adkins games combined. Though the defence weren't aided by the midfield not showing for the ball half the time. 
  • Options
    Could we help Sunderland out by beating Peterborough???  No of course we couldn’t. 
  • Options
    Showed today we’re not too far off a top 2 side. Should we not make the playoffs, put Fraser in that side and we can give next year a really good go.
  • Options
    11 game unbeaten run had to come to an end at some point. Next two games are going to be crucial 
  • Options
    I would have liked to see Washington much earlier, but you don't know how long the medical team said he could play.  Millar's frequent check back and short pass inside to the congested area was easily managed by Peterborough.  Maybe swapping him to the right might have seen him hit an early cross, but then again we've seen him fade badly on the right.  Millar played well second half but he has to put a left footed cross in sometimes.

I like Morgan on the right, his energy is excellent and he blocks more play than DJ or Millar.  He's the only one who'll put in an early ball, and some were quite good.  We just needed another threat in the box.  If we're playing deeper Shinnie's precision is probably the best bet in the last third of a match.  
  • Options
    I thought that was the best we have passed the ball all season.