Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Peterborough | Sat 24 April 2021

Comments

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Nigel good morning birds are singing....please make subs sooner to try and impact a game and play 2 up front at home FFS
    Yeah, even Curbs said that Nads "p'raps should have made the subs earlier".

And Curbs was usually pretty cautious about using subs, let alone early. :smile:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
    He’s just turned 21 and he’s already played 50+ senior games in both League One and the Championship. 

You’re already writing him off because he’s not starting in central midfield? 
    No he is saying a 21 year old isn't good enough, yet, to command a starting place in our central midfield. Which is true.

That's not writting him off.  Not everything is an absolute. 
    Sounds to me like PaulFox has written him off at Charlton. Fair enough, it’s a game of opinions. I just think he’s really talented, as does everyone at the club. 

For the record, Adkins said Morgan had a really good game today. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I don’t know why but I don’t feel too bad about us not going up this season.

Doesn’t feel like we’re at risk of losing anyone decent if we aren’t promoted. I’d say we’re still rebuilding and that’d only be worse in the championship.

Think we can still get playoffs, but a year under Adkins in League 1 might not be the worst thing.

Whatever happens, this summer is crucial and we need to be planning long term.
    Weirdest take that our fanbase has. Be so much easier to rebuild in the championship
  • Options
    The way I see it is that we lost very narrowly to a promotion side which proved they have all the right qualities to go up, while a few of our play off rivals continued to take a shot gun to their feet. Our job should have been a lot harder after today’s games, but no, again, we are very much still in the mix. 6 points from two and at least a couple of draws needed based on how inconsistent others are being.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    I must have been a completely different game to you lot, I thought Morgan did well today. 

Pressed really well, nice link-up play and put in some good balls. There was one moment with a cross-field pass under pressure he showed what a talented player he is. 

Let’s not forget he’s being forced to play out on the wing when he’s clearly not a winger. 
    Because he’s not good enough to command a spot in his preferred position. He does the odd thing ok, but doesn’t do enough to positively effect a game I’m afraid.
    He’s just turned 21 and he’s already played 50+ senior games in both League One and the Championship. 

No he is saying a 21 year old isn't good enough, yet, to command a starting place in our central midfield. Which is true.

Sounds to me like PaulFox has written him off at Charlton. Fair enough, it’s a game of opinions. I just think he’s really talented, as does everyone at the club. 

I know I watched the interview!! 

He is very talented. He has better, more experienced, players in front of him in his natural position.  He is 21.  He isn't, nor will claim to be, a winger.  He will improve.

All those can, and probably are, be true at the same time. 
  • Options
    Don't think the gulf was too big really. JCH was better than Stockley on the day, and we were less incisive overall in attack. Think our pressing game is coming together, we need to work on being clinical. I'm sure the team and manager will be itching to put things right on Tuesday.
    And we were so slow in our attacking build up, allowing the Posh the time to get loads of bodies behind the ball.
    You know what I mean ......... Pass from the back to Watson, square 10 yards, back to our defender, square to Purrington, short to JFC, back to Watson, back to Pearce, back to Amos, lump the ball upfield and lose possession.

We lose all momentum and before you know it, we've managed a series of passes from attacking the Posh 'D' all the way back to Amos.
    Another thing, we end up being ushered into crowded tight spaces on the touchline ..... often seeming to short pass our way into difficulty, closed down and dispossessed.

It's like we have a plan to make it hard for ourselves, When we do spread the play and use space, we attack quicker and can look more threatening, like Peterboro did.
    Oh, I dunno. I'll leave Nads to sort it out.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Croydon said:
    Laddick01 said:

Doesn’t feel like we’re at risk of losing anyone decent if we aren’t promoted. I’d say we’re still rebuilding and that’d only be worse in the championship.

Think we can still get playoffs, but a year under Adkins in League 1 might not be the worst thing.

Weirdest take that our fanbase has. Be so much easier to rebuild in the championship
    Not necessarily. Building a competitive championship team on the players we currently have (with all due respect) in the summer much harder than a very competitive L1 team with some potential champ quality which smashes the league and then a little more building for the next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Our home form has been utterly shocking and ultimately has been the root of our problems. No idea why it has been so bad.

W6 D6 L8  is pretty poor at this level. 
  • Options
    The way I see it is that we lost very narrowly to a promotion side which proved they have all the right qualities to go up, while a few of our play off rivals continued to take a shot gun to their feet. Our job should have been a lot harder after today’s games, but no, again, we are very much still in the mix. 6 points from two and at least a couple of draws needed based on how inconsistent others are being.
    Yup. No need for a change of bedding for me in the morning.
  • Options
    Don't think the gulf was too big really. JCH was better than Stockley on the day, and we were less incisive overall in attack. Think our pressing game is coming together, we need to work on being clinical. I'm sure the team and manager will be itching to put things right on Tuesday.
    JCH is better than Stockley on any day.
    Stockley is decent but JCH is better.
    You always want a Stockley though.

Talking about league 1 here.  A Stockley will make an average good, a good team very good and give a great team team a plan B.

He isn't a Taylor, Toney or a JCH.  He is a better "target man" than Eves or Magennis.  He is in the same league as Wyke. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Laddick01 said:

Not necessarily. Building a competitive championship team on the players we currently have (with all due respect) in the summer much harder than a very competitive L1 team with some potential champ quality which smashes the league and then a little more building for the next season.
    we'll attract a much better player in the Championship, what quality is there at this level anymore? No guarantees we'd smash the league either. Half our fanbase seems to think it's guaranteed, but the league will only be tougher next season. 

I'll be absolutely gutted if we don't get promoted. Another year in this terrible league.
  • Options
    Madness to let Stockley take penalty  , he has only scored with his head . A good game though and a bit like the away game we deserved at least a point .
    Bit late with the subs , hopefully we will have more attacking intent against Crewe .
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Peterborough played like a team ready for the next level. We played like a team no better than top half of League One. Difference in quality was clear. Big changes needed in the summer.
    Strongly disagree. We played quite well and basically matched a team who are going up. It was a tight game decided by the composure of the strikers 
    This. We lost and didn’t deserve to win. Under bowyervwe would have been toothless once we went behind. We played some pretty good stuff against a promoted team! 

I was never part of the Nigel in camp but I’ve seen enough of him and the improvements he has made to be confident of success next season 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Laddick01 said:

we'll attract a much better player in the Championship, what quality is there at this level anymore? No guarantees we'd smash the league either. Half our fanbase seems to think it's guaranteed, but the league will only be tougher next season. 

I'll be absolutely gutted if we don't get promoted. Another year in this terrible league.
    No guarantees but promotion is a hell of a long shot. I'll be gutted not to get into the playoffs. And if we do I'll be gutted not to get to the final. And if we do that I'd be gutted to lose. So I suppose that adds up to being gutted if we don't get promoted...but right now I feel positive about the changes that have clearly been taking place and can live with steady progress. Each of those goals seem very achievable individually but all of them...not investing too much in that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Peterborough played like a team ready for the next level. We played like a team no better than top half of League One. Difference in quality was clear. Big changes needed in the summer.
    Strongly disagree. We played quite well and basically matched a team who are going up. It was a tight game decided by the composure of the strikers 
    This. We lost and didn’t deserve to win. Under bowyervwe would have been toothless once we went behind. We played some pretty good stuff against a promoted team! 

I was never part of the Nigel in camp but I’ve seen enough of him and the improvements he has made to be confident of success next season 
    We can still have success this season!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Talking about league 1 here.  A Stockley will make an average good, a good team very good and give a great team team a plan B.

He isn't a Taylor, Toney or a JCH.  He is a better "target man" than Eves or Magennis.  He is in the same league as Wyke. 
    Stockley is a very average player and certainly worse than Magennis.
    Nah Magennis was proper shit for us. Stockley is good at what he does, but he makes us a worse team
  • Options
    Crewe is the season now. Must win that imo if we want to make the Play Offs. Bet it’ll be a bigger struggle than we think.

If we don’t win then we can start looking to rebuilding for next season.

Either way, I reckon the futures bright with Adkins. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:

I have a little, also happy to be proved wrong as I want the best for Charlton, unfortunately he isn’t. Absolutely it’s my opinion but I’m also not saying I know everything either.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Nah Magennis was proper shit for us. Stockley is good at what he does, but he makes us a worse team
    Magennis wasn't shit for us - he was playing in a very poor team with little or no service yet some of our fans seemed to expect miracles. I think a lot of our fans have forgotten how bad we were in the two seasons he was with us.

Stockley for me is a more limited player and his career stats are hardly impressive. 

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Magennis wasn't shit for us - he was playing in a very poor team with little or no service yet some of our fans seemed to expect miracles. I think a lot of our fans have forgotten how bad we were in the two seasons he was with us.

Stockley for me is a more limited player and his career stats are hardly impressive. 

We'll have to agree to disagree, I have no fond memories of Magennis' play whatsoever. 
  • Options
    We are not good enough in our creation or our end product at home. Its been our problem all season, when Bowyer played us open, we got caught at the back. Quite simply we are not good enough, if we happen to fall into the play offs, anything can happen but we don't have enough threat and that is down to personel not managers.
  • Options
    It feels decent that a team going up was better than us than a team in about 15th was better than us.

Progress, albeit a shame today.