Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Season tickets 2021/22 (22nd July - 9,000 sold).

Comments

• DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    In the interests of balance, I could afford a season ticket and don’t have family commitments, but won’t be getting one because I just don’t feel like it. 
    And that is your prerogative & doesn’t make you any less of a fan/supporter/person.
    That’s very kind, but let’s be honest, it does really, which I’m fine with. 
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    Our Dad was always a Charlton fan, took Bruv to his first game.
    Did he ever go regularly? No.
    Did he have a season ticket? Not until he retired & had disposable income & my Bruv drove him.
    Never, ever stopped him being a fan/supporter.
    THIS

My Dad didn’t get a season ticket until he retired from the British Army - previous to that he wouldn’t be able to go to many games as he was in Germany or Cyprus or loads of other places - but he supported Charlton since the 1940’s, and he was a nailed on Charlton fan to the core
    I’d call that a serious reason not to have one, totally agree although a few in here would expect him to change jobs 
    C'mon Doucher.
    You wound quite a few people up by saying true supporter.

• clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    In the interests of balance, I could afford a season ticket and don’t have family commitments, but won’t be getting one because I just don’t feel like it. 
    And that is your prerogative & doesn’t make you any less of a fan/supporter/person.
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    Did he have a season ticket? Not until he retired & had disposable income & my Bruv drove him.
    THIS

My Dad didn’t get a season ticket until he retired from the British Army - previous to that he wouldn’t be able to go to many games as he was in Germany or Cyprus or loads of other places - but he supported Charlton since the 1940’s, and he was a nailed on Charlton fan to the core
    I’d call that a serious reason not to have one, totally agree although a few in here would expect him to change jobs 
    C'mon Doucher.

I stand by it - if u don’t have a financial or other serious reason not to have a season ticket then you are not a true supporter - lapsed maybe but you now become a fan or part time supporter - in my opinion 
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

No excuse.  He could have flown back for weekends.
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

That’s ridiculous - should have just bought a season ticket and stayed abroad 
  • bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

I stand by it - if u don’t have a financial or other serious reason not to have a season ticket then you are not a true supporter - lapsed maybe but you now become a fan or part time supporter - in my opinion 

Ok - let's try to look at this in an adult way without hurling insults. I will be the first to apologise :)

Most reasons why people don't get season tickets would all appear to be serious - cant's afford it, live too far away, family commitments, work commitments and so on. That pretty much, for me, debunks the argument that if you haven't got a serious reason then you are not a true supporter. They are all serious and valid reasons.

If someone could comfortably afford it, lived within a reasonable journey time, didn't have any family or work commitments, no mobility issues or medical reasons, wasn't boycotting (not sure that's valid now but it was for a lot of people) and the one and only reason they didn't buy was because they couldn't be arsed then, I would agree, hard to consider them true supporters.
    But Bob.
    What sort of supporter does it make me if I can.
    Afford a season, can get to the ground , no family commitments,  no work commitments and cant really be bothered buying a season ticket.
    But will probably do 18 away games because I'm not buying a season ticket?
  • bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

Ok - let's try to look at this in an adult way without hurling insults. I will be the first to apologise :)

Most reasons why people don't get season tickets would all appear to be serious - cant's afford it, live too far away, family commitments, work commitments and so on. That pretty much, for me, debunks the argument that if you haven't got a serious reason then you are not a true supporter. They are all serious and valid reasons.

If someone could comfortably afford it, lived within a reasonable journey time, didn't have any family or work commitments, no mobility issues or medical reasons, wasn't boycotting (not sure that's valid now but it was for a lot of people) and the one and only reason they didn't buy was because they couldn't be arsed then, I would agree, hard to consider them true supporters.
    i'm glad you've seen sense - apology accepted 
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    Afford a season, can get to the ground , no family commitments,  no work commitments and cant really be bothered buying a season ticket.
    i know u t asking Bob and not me but i think the answer is 'unique'
  • edited May 2021
    Uboat said:
    Depth charge left and right 25 yards

• Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    Based on our home form and away results in the season just ended...a glory boy
  • mendonca said:
    This thread reminds me of the North stand throwing coins and bottles at their own fans.
    Don’t forget the pigs and balloons. Well uo for the protest but the time we all threw balloons on the pitch and the wind collected them all up the covered end was a lesson.
  • cafcfan said:
    It seems to me that the "trigger" for season tickets becoming important/needed/desirable was the introduction of all-seater stadia.
    Until that time there was very little point.  You could always get in and always stand in or very close to your favourite spot. Or, indeed, in the case of Charlton just wander around the stadium and switch ends at half-time or whatever.  Indeed, switching ends and seeing your team score from close range was very popular.
    Now if you want your "favourite spot" for your personal use, to be near friends or whatever, a season ticket becomes much more important. And, of course, switching ends has gone right out the window.
    I suspect it is especially old-timers like me that just weren't brought up with season tickets that don't understand DOUCHER's stand point. And, in particular, take offence at his ridiculous "not a true supporter" nonsense.
    Personally I never had (couldn't afford) a season ticket until the move to Selhurst Park. Since then I've always had one, including the old 10-year and 5-year jobbies.  (Except recently during the horrible boycott period and last year because of Covid.)
    Now I'm back but I would never insult fellow supporters on the back of some nebulous concept such as that put forward by DOUCHER. 
    even though i'm right? i don't get why its an insult - i'm a fairweather away supporter - i pick and choose them - local onde's or further afield if we are going for promotion etc - i know what i am in that respect but wouldn't call myself a true supporter if i only attended a few games a season or more if we are doing well - i'd call that a part time supporter and i'd call myself that if that was the case - no insults here, doesn't make me a better person just means i'm being more supportive of the club - if u go very infrequently then unless you believe in the likes of Ure Geller and the power of thought then i can't see how u t supporting - if its not financial, vocal or just physically being there then how are u supporting? 
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

And I’m sure he should have standed you a round an’all. 
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    You and Elfs going to away games together next season lol.
    Just make sure to pay your way.
    No poncing of the little elf. 
  • Perfectly put Sporadic. 
    Some childish bickering on here today. 
    But you have nailed it. 
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

He was in the army, he could have parachuted in.
  • not wishing to go round in circles, but I will anyway...

Since when did season tickets become a sign of support? They exist for four reasons:-

- To save a few quid if you have the cash upfront to but one (or want to take finance).
     - To ensure that you can get in when the ground is likely to sell out.
     - To guarantee that you can sit in the same place with the same people.
     - To provide priority access to restricted capacity away games.

They serve a functional purpose. If none of these functions matter to you, then there is no need to buy a season ticket.

- It makes sod all difference to your level of support.
     - It doesn't signal support for the owner in any way shape or form.
     - It doesn't provide cash to the club (I'd imagine most of the funds from CC payments will be held by the CC companies as reserved cash until the end of season when the they have no exposure . It will strengthen the balance sheet but you can't buy players with a balance sheet.

Buying or not buying a season ticket does not define your "level" of support, irrespective of any "mitigating factors" of wealth, location, mobility, family status etc etc etc. There will be thousands attending matches next year who don't have season tickets, and every one of them is as much of a fan as those that have season tickets, and that is simply a fact.
    lets agree to disagree - its an up front commitment and the biggest show of support we can give our new owner 
  • DOUCHER said:
    se9addick said:
    It matters not whether you live on Floyd Road or Beijing or the Australian outback and it matters not whether you’ve been to one match in your life or none or every one in history. All you have to do is hold sacred the names of  Bartram, Seed, and Curbishley and love Charlton over all others. Do all that, and that alone my sons and daughters, and you too  will be a “true fan”. 
    true fan, not a true supporter 
    I remember the fan/supporter debate from secondary school when surrounded by a bunch of Man Utd & Liverpool fans/supporters.  It depends on the definition you apply, and it is subjective.  I don’t think it’s worth calling out other fans for what you perceive as lack of support because they don’t want to commit financially. We’re coming out a once in a lifetime shit show, life has been turned upside down for many.  If people aren’t willing to put their hand into their pocket for a season ticket, but want to pick and choose, or have some sort of ‘membership’, then so be it.  They’re still as much a supporter as someone who goes to every game and commits lots financially in my opinion 
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    DOUCHER said:
    se9addick said:
    It matters not whether you live on Floyd Road or Beijing or the Australian outback and it matters not whether you’ve been to one match in your life or none or every one in history. All you have to do is hold sacred the names of  Bartram, Seed, and Curbishley and love Charlton over all others. Do all that, and that alone my sons and daughters, and you too  will be a “true fan”. 
    I remember the fan/supporter debate from secondary school when surrounded by a bunch of Man Utd & Liverpool fans/supporters.  It depends on the definition you apply, and it is subjective.  I don’t think it’s worth calling out other fans for what you perceive as lack of support because they don’t want to commit financially. We’re coming out a once in a lifetime shit show, life has been turned upside down for many.  If people aren’t willing to put their hand into their pocket for a season ticket, but want to pick and choose, or have some sort of ‘membership’, then so be it.  They’re still as much a supporter as someone who goes to every game and commits lots financially in my opinion 
    but deep down, you know that's nonsense - yes, it will make those part timers like u more than me and i'm not criticising anybody, but u cannot compare somebody who goes every now and then to somebody who goes week in week out - how many times have u stood in a pub with a millwall fan bemoaning how crap they are and when you ask if they go they say i used to go a bit but they were crap or we sold our best player or this or that - well, if you actually went regularly they may have been better - the only tangible way us supporters can actually hope to make things better or retain our best players is to actually support - otherwise you lose all right to expect anything - when we have lost to millwall, i will only talk to them if they actually go regularly - if not i tell them they have lost the right to any gloating and end it there - don't get me started on liverpool and man u fans..  money where your mouth is or put up with what you are given 
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    A tight c***!
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    You and Elfs going to away games together next season lol.
    Just make sure to pay your way.
    No poncing of the little elf. 
    Fancy Wimbledon away Rambo?
  • cafcfan said:
    It seems to me that the "trigger" for season tickets becoming important/needed/desirable was the introduction of all-seater stadia.
    Until that time there was very little point.  You could always get in and always stand in or very close to your favourite spot. Or, indeed, in the case of Charlton just wander around the stadium and switch ends at half-time or whatever.  Indeed, switching ends and seeing your team score from close range was very popular.
    Now if you want your "favourite spot" for your personal use, to be near friends or whatever, a season ticket becomes much more important. And, of course, switching ends has gone right out the window.
    I suspect it is especially old-timers like me that just weren't brought up with season tickets that don't understand DOUCHER's stand point. And, in particular, take offence at his ridiculous "not a true supporter" nonsense.
    Personally I never had (couldn't afford) a season ticket until the move to Selhurst Park. Since then I've always had one, including the old 10-year and 5-year jobbies.  (Except recently during the horrible boycott period and last year because of Covid.)
    Now I'm back but I would never insult fellow supporters on the back of some nebulous concept such as that put forward by DOUCHER. 
    Being a 10 year season ticket holder makes you a super duper fan.
  • What does getting your (already bald) haircut make you then!
  • clb74 said:
    bobmunro said:
    DOUCHER said:
    clb74 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    I don’t agree.
    You have your reasons.
    THIS

C'mon Doucher.

But Bob.
    It makes you a one man band , who’s doing their utmost to turn around our truly pathetic home/away fan ratio and for that I’m truly grateful 🙏
  • DOUCHER said:
    cabbles said:
    DOUCHER said:
    se9addick said:
    but deep down, you know that's nonsense - yes, it will make those part timers like u more than me and i'm not criticising anybody, but u cannot compare somebody who goes every now and then to somebody who goes week in week out - how many times have u stood in a pub with a millwall fan bemoaning how crap they are and when you ask if they go they say i used to go a bit but they were crap or we sold our best player or this or that - well, if you actually went regularly they may have been better - the only tangible way us supporters can actually hope to make things better or retain our best players is to actually support - otherwise you lose all right to expect anything - when we have lost to millwall, i will only talk to them if they actually go regularly - if not i tell them they have lost the right to any gloating and end it there - don't get me started on liverpool and man u fans..  money where your mouth is or put up with what you are given 
    But you're not going week in week out Doucher.
    You're doing the home games and a few aways.