Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Sorry Davo53 I was in no way was taking the piss.
    I've re read my comments a couple of times and I don't think it reads to me that I was taking the piss, nor the others for that matter.

I agree with your thoughts that our season didn't fall short because of one penalty and that penalties aren't easy to score.

I disagreed on only one thing and that was your assertion that,
    "The goal is 24 feet across, if the keeper just lies down and stretches his arms out that leaves you approximately 3 foot to squeeze the ball in to the corner".

I think if we read what we type, we may notice that what we've typed perhaps wasn't what we meant.
    All the best.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Davo53 show, folks.
  • Options
    Yoni Buyens seemed to find scoring penalties pretty easy. SuperClive and Benty were decent too.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I must apologise then cafcfan1990,coveredend, and iaitch ,for getting it wrong. After reading it all again can now see my problem lies with thenewbie, banter I love piss taking no.by the way cafcfan1990 what team did you keep goal for.
    For what it's worth, I apologise. No offense was intended but if I upset you then that's on me. 
  • Options
    Yoni Buyens seemed to find scoring penalties pretty easy. SuperClive and Benty were decent too.
    Yes Yoni I think scored all 9 he took that season.  Who was our keeper that year who saved the 2(?) Penalties  against us? We had a 100% record. 
  • Options
    ad to see peace has won the day here. Well done all concerned. Any chance you can pop over to the Oliver Dowden thread and have a word with Seth 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Thanks for that thenewbie apology excepted thank you. Let’s get on with the banter.
  • Options
    Yes Yoni I think scored all 9 he took that season.  Who was our keeper that year who saved the 2(?) Penalties  against us? We had a 100% record. 
    Stephen Henderson
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Thanks for that thenewbie apology excepted thank you. Let’s get on with the banter.
    Sister Michael Reaction GIF - SisterMichael Reaction DerryGirls - Discover   Share GIFs
  • Options
    Davo55 is the calm bro , his older one is  a bit lively
    Welcome Davo53 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many more Davos are there? Is there an army of them?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    How many more Davos are there? Is there an army of them?
    At least 53, I'd imagine...
  • Options
    Project Nigel's record over a full season and we would have gone 23-18-5, with 87 points and automatic promotion. With even 2-3 nice additions in the Summer widow, we should not be happy with anything but automatic promotion in 2021-22.
  • Options
    Thanks oohaahmortimer for the welcome a nice touch.I love being a part of this forum and I know we’re all never agree on everything, but things like playing mattsen on the right wing, playing stockley up front on his own isolated with 2 widemen  and some people applauded that is very strange and find hard to except,but I suppose at the end of the day we all want success for our great club.
  • Options
    Milivojevic, who's scored a lot of penalties, missed a penalty last night (after the usual Zaha collapse in the box)

It was quite similar to the Ronnie Schwartz one, well struck and fairly towards the corner, but at nice height for the keeper to save (the giant Forster)
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Barnes
    The BBC thread said he fumbled a weak freekick into his own goal and was chipped from outside the box for another. 
    That's Jimmy Floyd Hasselwank at large.

He played for us like he hated us - why would that change now.

I remember how gutted he looked when he scored for us at Stamford Bridge. Hmmm. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I'm not blaming the player. Why was he picked?

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
    Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

Not to say he's not an arsehole mind you!
    I think there are rules. Clubs aren’t supposed to put out weakened teams when there’s still all to play for. 
    Of course the EFL will do sweet FA about it. 
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Thanks oohaahmortimer for the welcome a nice touch.I love being a part of this forum and I know we’re all never agree on everything, but things like playing mattsen on the right wing, playing stockley up front on his own isolated with 2 widemen  and some people applauded that is very strange and find hard to except,but I suppose at the end of the day we all want success for our great club.

Just one thing, if you enjoy the banter and different views, maybe stop wringing apologies out of everyone...?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I'm not blaming the player. Why was he picked?

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
    Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

Not to say he's not an arsehole mind you!
    I think there are rules. Clubs aren’t supposed to put out weakened teams when there’s still all to play for. 
    Of course the EFL will do sweet FA about it. 
    Sorry but who decides it's a weakened team?    As far as I am aware Burton play a team that was all professional players.  They didn't stick the kit man in goal and hope for the best did they?

I assume anyone that's got a problem with it has never suggested that any of our youth or fringe players get a round out?  Especially if we had nothing to play for?

People moaned about the salary cap and squad limits, so if your "worthy" of a squad place, under those restrictions you must be at least a half decent player?

How many people were calling for AMB to get a run of games to see how he got on.  Or Ronnie, or x or y?

If making too many changes is not acceptable we would have been in front of the Judge quite a bit this season wouldn't we?
  • Options
    The EFL guidance on playing weakened teams only says for any league match the team sheet should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league match before
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    The EFL guidance on playing weakened teams only says for any league match the team sheet should include at least 10 outfield players who featured on the team sheet for the league match before
    I'd say that's the end of this rather tedious matter.
  • Options
    You can also have established players that don't give their all in these situations. There is nothing you can do and if you are unhappy about Burton, you can stuff them next season. 
  • Options
    You can also have established players that don't give their all in these situations. There is nothing you can do and if you are unhappy about Burton, you can stuff them next season. 
    True. In the situation that Burton were in they were hardly likely to be trying particularly hard whatever team was played. If anything, a couple of younger/fringe players might give you more effort as a last chance to prove themselves before season end.
  • Options
    Hello major just one thing for you as well l respect them people who OFFERED their apology to me, and also OFFERED my apologies to them for getting it wrong,that’s what MEN do,so there was no wringing apologies out of them,so if you’re going to have a pop at me get your facts right !
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I think there are so many factors. Accrington certainly didn't give us an easy ride and beat Pompey. I think a lot of credit must go to their manager. I am not too upset with my club at this time as my expectation was 74 points and we got them. I have no time for the attitude, we are better off not achieving this or that this season. A club like ours in League One should have ambitions, no expectations, to get out of it every season it is in it. 

Thankfully, Adkins seems clear on this. I am pretty confident he will achieve it. His sort normally do, as opposed to the ones who have excuses after excuses.
  • Options
    Hello davo55,hello bruv how long have you been on this forum, I wished I’d joined ages ago, I’ve been a bit busy on here of late, I’ll think I’ll chill out for a couple of days take care mate.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    Hello davo55,hello bruv how long have you been on this forum, I wished I’d joined ages ago, I’ve been a bit busy on here of late, I’ll think I’ll chill out for a couple of days take care mate.
    Hello Bruv. I've been on here 9 years. Some great, moving, thought provoking discussions, some crap - and I've had my share of giving and receiving both. That's the way of the forum. I tend to keep a lower profile over the summer, just keeping an eye on the transfer rumours. See you soon.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Davo53 said:
    Hello Bruv. I've been on here 9 years. Some great, moving, thought provoking discussions, some crap - and I've had my share of giving and receiving both. That's the way of the forum. I tend to keep a lower profile over the summer, just keeping an eye on the transfer rumours. See you soon.
    Why don't you two pick up the phone and have a catch up?

Only kidding! :smile: