Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Having Innis in the side from what I’ve seen makes us a lot stronger in terms of dominating battles and gives a good platform to have more possession. Don’t know if the stats back that up? Always a threat at the other end too. Would be great to keep him. Hopefully lots of time to work on players and deals, I suspect there’ll be lots of out of contract players to look at this year in the market.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    The fact that there are so many and we failed to make it on goal difference gives us a lot of choice. I think those that point to around 20 games where we did little better than a point a game are probably closest to the mark.

We can say the penalty misses against Oxford and Posh or the late equaliser for Crewe were to blame, but ultimately our form under Adkins was automatic promotion form and things will go for you and things will go against you.

I have believed the squad was good enough, but sadly we had a manager who went rogue when things went against him and some players that were written off can be written back in. It seems a good approach to get the average age down.

I'd like to see us try to keep hold of Aneke. Even when he hasn't been able to play much, he has been our top scorer and if nothing changes, he is still a game changer. Amos had a poor patch when we were having a poor patch. That happens with keepers, but he has shown he is worthy of being kept on.
    I think not having centre halves were more of an issue. Like a lot of sides in this league, a first team can win games against anyone, but the squad is not good enough to cover injuries or suspensions and I think this applied to us both at the back and up front.
    You may get away with a couple of games but clubs are good at identifying weaknesses and exploiting them. 
    Lincoln are a good example this year of a team that have a settled squad for most of the season.
    We went on a terrible run under Bowyer and not in my wildest dreams do I imagine Adkins could have managed the injuries as badly.
  • Options
    People will dig players out about he should of scored this penalty and he should of scored the other, the fact is that Bowyer lost the dressing room big time there is around 2 months there and points dropped. If only we removed Bowyer then. Bring on next season! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    All the hogwash of oh we’ll be 6th and let in a last minute or someone else will score late on to rump us was never gonna happen cos Pompey or Oxford would cruise it and unfortunately that happened .
    2 wins against two good teams who had nothing to really play for means we took it to the wire .
    Ive said for the majority of the season we had a squad good enough to make the play offs it’s just a shame it never happened.
    The loyal one deserting us gives us a better chance next season .

Next season:

16%    Top two

75%      3rd-6th

9%       7th-12th 
    How are you giving percentages for next season... we don't even know what the squad is
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    All the hogwash of oh we’ll be 6th and let in a last minute or someone else will score late on to rump us was never gonna happen cos Pompey or Oxford would cruise it and unfortunately that happened .
    2 wins against two good teams who had nothing to really play for means we took it to the wire .
    Ive said for the majority of the season we had a squad good enough to make the play offs it’s just a shame it never happened.
    The loyal one deserting us gives us a better chance next season .

Next season:

16%    Top two

75%      3rd-6th

9%       7th-12th 
    How are you giving percentages for next season... we don't even know what the squad is
    I'm sure they will change upwards as things become clearer.
  • Options
    A good achievement this year is (since LB left claimed we don't get injuries in training) that we haven't picked up many injuries in training. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    All round, a very good performance today to raise the spirits despite events elsewhere not going our way. Well done Karl though.
    I enjoyed the all guns blazing approach. If only we could have played like that more often we'd might have been higher up the table. I'm not sure we always need a Watson or a Pratley so long as we have a bit of energy in midfield. 
    It's clear that if we want to hang on to Stockley he's much better playing with two up front - he was much more of a threat today. I think he'd definitely be worth keeping. He'll end up scoring more goals with his feet too. 
    We knocked Hull about a bit when we had to, and that clearly affected them. We gradually took control of the game and didn't just lump it long all game as we have been doing. Millar and Maatsen worked a lot better together down the left and looked a real threat.
    I even started to feel a bit of warmth towards this side! 
    Keep the better players, get hold of some better replacements for those leaving and I think we'll do well next season.
  • Options
    If we take a step back and think about it, we outplayed the best team in the League. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Get rid of Pratley and Watson and the average age will be about 15.
    All those who remember Pratson, their average age was 19....... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The vital battle that was won today was young Maatsen against Wilks. They targeted his position with the diagonal ball but after a slight tweak of tactics, Ian had his best game in a Charlton shirt not only defensively but going forward when he put in the best long cross since Naby Sarr found Taylor.
    Superb first touch from Conor but thankfully he didn't emulate Bartlett as he would've been on his way to the Championship before the final whistle.

Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Burnley and Bournemouth have all been in the 3rd tier and rebuilt and hit the jackpot, in Leeds case it took a bloody long time but we just have to do the same under Thomas Sandgaard and the course and distance winner that is Nigel Adkins. 

No shit super duper phones just good contacts in the pro game will see us with a better squad which will improve on missing out on GD for the play offs this season.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Bowyer's fault (Nov to Feb) and poor players. Missed  penalties, Washington missed open goal in last minute, terrible pub league defending and woeful games against Crewe/Stanley. Our fault. So angry. In pub. Another season in this pub league.
  • Options
    The Draw against Crewe where we threw it away in the 95 minute I have always said would cost us the playoffs .
    I think Blackpool  will win, as the rest are not as good as us.
    I honestly think we will Go straight up next time without any play offs.
    we played well today and when we have a serious striker who plays for 90 minutes and takes his chances we will be awesome under Adkins 👍👍🥂🥂🥂🥂
  • Options
    I am excited for next season, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    The fact that there are so many and we failed to make it on goal difference gives us a lot of choice. I think those that point to around 20 games where we did little better than a point a game are probably closest to the mark.

We can say the penalty misses against Oxford and Posh or the late equaliser for Crewe were to blame, but ultimately our form under Adkins was automatic promotion form and things will go for you and things will go against you.

I have believed the squad was good enough, but sadly we had a manager who went rogue when things went against him and some players that were written off can be written back in. It seems a good approach to get the average age down.

I'd like to see us try to keep hold of Aneke. Even when he hasn't been able to play much, he has been our top scorer and if nothing changes, he is still a game changer. Amos had a poor patch when we were having a poor patch. That happens with keepers, but he has shown he is worthy of being kept on.
    I think not having centre halves were more of an issue. Like a lot of sides in this league, a first team can win games against anyone, but the squad is not good enough to cover injuries or suspensions and I think this applied to us both at the back and up front.
    You may get away with a couple of games but clubs are good at identifying weaknesses and exploiting them. 
    Lincoln are a good example this year of a team that have a settled squad for most of the season.
    That's the biggest frustration though.  It was 6 weeks between them getting injured and the January transfer window opening, then another 8 before they were back.

Of course its a massive loss but if, as a manager, you can't find a way of playing to compensate and you refuse to buy a center back in the window because there are none good enough it on your head, and your head only.

Those 2 injuries costing us automatic, fair enough, its not an excuse to miss out on the play offs.  As Jamie Carragher said about Liverpool, VVD and Gomez cost them the title, it doesn't give you an excuse to lose at home to Brighton.   Those 2 were not an excuse for the whole of that good awful run. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

That's the biggest frustration though.  It was 6 weeks between them getting injured and the January transfer window opening, then another 8 before they were back.

Of course its a massive loss but if, as a manager, you can't find a way of playing to compensate and you refuse to buy a center back in the window because there are none good enough it on your head, and your head only.

Those 2 injuries costing us automatic, fair enough, its not an excuse to miss out on the play offs.  As Jamie Carragher said about Liverpool, VVD and Gomez cost them the title, it doesn't give you an excuse to lose at home to Brighton.   Those 2 were not an excuse for the whole of that good awful run. 
    Spot on mate 
  • Options
    The disappointing thing is if we'd scraped into the playoffs I think we would have stood a good chance.

Need to aim for top 2 next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    It's the hope that kills. 

I am looking forward to next season though. I have a feeling that we are relatively safe in Adkins hands - especially if we get recruitment right. 

In Adkins first 10 games in charge we Won 5, drew 4 and lost 1. Beating Sunderland, Hull, Lincoln and not looking out of our depth against Peterborough on the way.

You can't turn your nose up at what Bows has done at Birmingham, but if only that change had a happened a few games earlier. We might be in a complete different situation.

I had none before kick-off and the scores coming through from Oxford soon killed off any slight flickerings engendered by Amos's save.

Adkins will hopefully be given a reasonable budget that he'll spend wisely, a la SCP.  If he gets it right, we could see a repeat of SCP's first full season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Schwatz missed penalty at Oxford last minute, if scored would have meant
    them minus 2 us plus 2. Seen the bloke score 1 goal and touch the ball
    about 20 times if that. Get rid. End of!
    Ridiculous statement. Stockley also missed a penalty that cost us, but no, you're not blaming him. Washington missed a penalty you're not blaming him.

The fact is that football is a team game and to blame one individual player over the course of a season is silly. 

The team and the previous manager underachieved.
    I am not blaming Schwartz but it's a fact we would have won that game if he had scored. There wasn't time for the restart. 

Its not a fact the other 2 games would have played out the same if we had scored those pens.  There are about 100 instances you could say x and y might have happened if z had been different.  The Schwartz pen was a definite. 

The fact the 12 odd games since then could have been completely different is a different argument. 
    Totally agree with this post, the only irony about the Schwartz miss/save was the opposition being Oxford and how the league finished up, had we scored we would have ended up with 76 points and Oxford 73, that's the only significance against any other miss, but there we are move onto next season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Schwatz missed penalty at Oxford last minute, if scored would have meant
    them minus 2 us plus 2. Seen the bloke score 1 goal and touch the ball
    about 20 times if that. Get rid. End of!
    Ridiculous statement. Stockley also missed a penalty that cost us, but no, you're not blaming him. Washington missed a penalty you're not blaming him.

The fact is that football is a team game and to blame one individual player over the course of a season is silly. 

The team and the previous manager underachieved.
    I am not blaming Schwartz but it's a fact we would have won that game if he had scored. There wasn't time for the restart. 

Its not a fact the other 2 games would have played out the same if we had scored those pens.  There are about 100 instances you could say x and y might have happened if z had been different.  The Schwartz pen was a definite. 

The fact the 12 odd games since then could have been completely different is a different argument. 
    Totally agree with this post, the only irony about the Schwartz miss/save was the opposition being Oxford and how the league finished up, had we scored we would have ended up with 76 points and Oxford 73, that's the only significance against any other miss, but there we are move onto next season.
    True but a point extra in any game would have seen us finish above them. You will always have things go wrong but too many things have gone wrong over the course of the season. Including bad luck, as 74 points is ALMOST always enough. Mind you, we would have stayed up in the Championship this season with the points total from last season. Hey ho!   
  • Options
    There’s lots of ifs and buts, over the season we have proved not good enough, for me Lee bowyers management of a team capable of at least top six was appalling, with a dash of inept brain dead play from players who should have done better. Hopefully Adkins gets shot of the majority of them and starts again. The players that survive the cull need to thank their lucky stars they get to play in front of a great fan base and unique football club. If not they can do one aswell. There should be nothing working against us next season, so no reason for any of the negative Bollox we’ve had to deal with over recent times, and that includes us as fans.on to next season as one and exciting times ahead due to Thomas sangaard saving our club!!!.
  • Options
    Bowyer was too bothered about his career going down the pan and reacted in the way Bowyer the player did when things didn't go his way. Morale dropped and with it confidence and when that goes, mistakes creep in.

For the level, we had a good squad and Adkins has proven that with us finishing on 74 points, which was a good return from the point he took over. And in any other season over the last 10 years, it gets you a play off place. We have only lost one game under him and in that we missed a pen against a top two side we pretty much matched. We were the better side against the Champions and beat Lincoln comfortably.

There have been a couple of downs, but they were draws against Accrington and Crewe.  
    If we had such a good squad why did we miss Inniss and Famewo so much and why was Adkins playing a left back up front?
    The only players that everyone seems to agree should definitely be here next year are Inniss, Famewo and Stockley. That does not suggest a good squad to me. Sounds like a bang average squad that has performed well to get to seventh.
    Personally I would add Gilbey, Millar and Morgan, but hey ho.
  • Options
    It depends what you class as bang average. I have always added three words when commenting on the strength of the squad, 'for the level'. For the level we were a comfortable top six squad that was poorly managed. Yes, there were weaknesses in it, one of which, a centre half in January, could have addressed, despite what Bowyer said. It didn't have to be a player better than the injured ones, just be a better centre half than Pratley who dives in too much for a centre half. You can get away with it for the odd game but not a number of games.
  • Options
    It's clear that Maatsen and Millar have loan contract clause to play or the fee increases. We needed Purrington's solidity at the back and it meant Maatsen was pushed further up. He did fine for me barring the last 2 games in that role. But don't forget DJ was injured and he was asked to fill the 'pacy player' role.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Bowyer was too bothered about his career going down the pan and reacted in the way Bowyer the player did when things didn't go his way. Morale dropped and with it confidence and when that goes, mistakes creep in.

For the level, we had a good squad and Adkins has proven that with us finishing on 74 points, which was a good return from the point he took over. And in any other season over the last 10 years, it gets you a play off place. We have only lost one game under him and in that we missed a pen against a top two side we pretty much matched. We were the better side against the Champions and beat Lincoln comfortably.

There have been a couple of downs, but they were draws against Accrington and Crewe.  
    If we had such a good squad why did we miss Inniss and Famewo so much and why was Adkins playing a left back up front?
    The only players that everyone seems to agree should definitely be here next year are Inniss, Famewo and Stockley. That does not suggest a good squad to me. Sounds like a bang average squad that has performed well to get to seventh.
    Personally I would add Gilbey, Millar and Morgan, but hey ho.
    Mate, he walked out on you.  You don't need to defend him any more. 

The results and performances from Gillingham away on the 21st of November to Blackpool at home on the 27th of February were inexcusable.  Famewo and Inniss not being available included. 

I can't believe it's even still being discussed. You either find a way of dealing with it or you buy a center back.   You find a way of keeping a clean sheet.   Play 6 at the back, with 3 holding, if that's what it takes. 

Bowyer turned it round come the start of March, it was just months to late. 

I honestly don't think any half decent manager, in the right frame of mind, wouldn't be capable of stop letting 2 in every home game, with the players we had. 

What ever went on behind the scenes was a failure of management.  Sorry but Bowyer, as the manager, has to shoulder the blame.  Even if it wasn't, directly, his fault.